Options

Tron: FINISH THE GAME

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    they hand-painted the effect onto every cel in the original, didn't they?

Essentially, yes.
    Most of the scenes, backgrounds and visual effects in the film were created using more traditional techniques and a unique process known as "backlit animation".[3] In this process, live-action scenes inside the computer world were filmed in black-and-white on an entirely black set, printed on large format high-contrast film, then colorized with photographic and rotoscopic techniques to give them a "technological" feel.[5] With multiple layers of high-contrast, large format positives and negatives, this process required truckloads of sheet film and a workload even greater than that of a conventional cel-animated feature. In addition, the varying quality and age of the film layers caused differing brightness levels for the backlit effects from frame to frame, explaining why glowing outlines and circuit traces tended to flicker in the original film. Due to its difficulty and cost, this process would never be repeated for another feature film.[3]

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. Im thinking about seeing it again with some friends. I also have the urge now to buy the game but im really not sure if I want to drop the money on it right now, though if I wait the multi could possibly be dead by the time I get around to picking it up.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Get it.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Get it.

Your biased! but dang it i was looking around for a deal and amazon has it for like $38, if I cant find it cheaper I will probably jump on it at that price.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not biased and I am recommending the video game.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ultimakay wrote: »
    Get it.

Your biased! but dang it i was looking around for a deal and amazon has it for like $38, if I cant find it cheaper I will probably jump on it at that price.

her biased?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am not biased either and I am here to say it is super fun. Like goddamn.

It's almost pulled me away from WoW.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Get it.

her biased?
    kochikens is a girl!?!?!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I love you guys <3 Like seriously

Kochikens on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    must find tron 2.0 jewel case

Shabooty on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    tronkochi.png

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Houk wrote: »
    Get it.

her biased?
    kochikens is a girl!?!?!

dude, don't get too excited or you'll scare her away!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm not a girl I'm a tron can't you read the damn picture

Kochikens on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kochikens it is really fun to say your name

koooochiiiiikennnnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssssss

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gay chickens sharing an apartment

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holy shit this movie was awesome. The look, the sound, the characters, and the Cora. So awesome.

Oh man and the hexagons. So many sexy hexagons. Gah I love hexagons.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    kochikens it is really fun to say your name

koooochiiiiikennnnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssssss

You're probably saying it wrong

Kochikens on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    do you like to ruin things?

i hope not

don't ruin this for me

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

are you saying that Trons can't be girls because there are totally Tron girls

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    nah that pic doesn't have any boobs, can't be a girl

she's not even dressed for male attention!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you know what more movies need
    guys dressed to impress the ladies

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you know what more movies need
    guys dressed to impress the ladies

Like... white suites? Slicked-back hair? Loafers with no socks?

Am I barking up the right tree here?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know! I have very little fashion consciousness!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, and I'm Italian so...

Girls like confidence right?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    No, you fight for the trons.

If you were tron you would fight for me.

Blake T on
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    blake don't make it weird
    she would be fighting for other people as well as you

natek on
  • Options
    u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    After the movie my wife said that Olivia Wilde would make an awesome Major if they did a live action Ghost in the Shell. I could see that.
    YES

u63r on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    u63r wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    After the movie my wife said that Olivia Wilde would make an awesome Major if they did a live action Ghost in the Shell. I could see that.
    YES

Oh yeah that would be great

Solar on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    natek wrote: »

Look man, I'm just trying to convince her to go to the shops and buy me some milk.

Blake T on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the lines on sam's tron suit make an angry face on his butt

i couldn't stop giggling

Squall on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The actor who plays Sam is so wonderfully attractive. I was so disappointed they didn't do a closeup when they stripped him to his boxers.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    the lines on sam's tron suit make an angry face on his butt

i couldn't stop giggling

and then there were no less than like three scenes where he walks away from the camera slowly

and his rump is all

>8)

Squall on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Blake T wrote: »
    natek wrote: »

Look man, I'm just trying to convince her to go to the shops and buy me some milk.

I am tron
    I
    I shop for the users

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Only part i thought they missed the mark on was
    Tron should have had a better sacrifice. I mean he ends up not even stopping Clu from getting to the portal first, and do any of the other characters even see it? No one ever even mentions him again. He also just randomly decides to be good again, he should have "turned" either when he was fighting Quorra/Sam or at the portal so at least there would be some reason for him to change back.

Crazed Llama on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One of the best things about Tron was throwing frisbees at your friends on the playground.

I wonder if kids are going to do that again.

mcp on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    They did a crazy amount of work to get the glowing costumes to look as they did on the original film...makes the new film's effect seem lazy by comparison.

I really need to rewatch the making of featurette again. Amazing stuff.

the guy in charge of costumes and light cycles and probably other stuff was on NPR yesterday.

he said all the lights on the costumes were actual lights on the costumes, not added afterwards, since they wanted to get the added effect of lights showing up on other people too. (I'm sure there was a lot of post-processing there, though).

he also said he went through all the sketch books of the original light cycle designer and discovered the way they had wanted to do things (with an open cockpit), but didn't have the technology, so he worked off of the guy's original design.

your assumption (and my assumption) that almost everything was CGI was unfounded. "People would be surprised at how much of the movie was real."

so no, they were not lazy. they were the opposite of lazy.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    and then they played derezzed to end the segment and my car became a light car and i was on the grid

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Also, my entire theater laughed their asses off when the Cowboys and Aliens title card came up and I wanted to stand up and shout at all of them to stop, stop, it'll be a good movie, stop laughing
    The filmmakers did that on purpose. They wanted to get it out of the way right off the bat. "Yes, it has cowboys, and it has aliens, but it also has James Bond and Indy. Let's continue discussing this on its merits."

u63r on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    u63r wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Also, my entire theater laughed their asses off when the Cowboys and Aliens title card came up and I wanted to stand up and shout at all of them to stop, stop, it'll be a good movie, stop laughing
    The filmmakers did that on purpose. They wanted to get it out of the way right off the bat. "Yes, it has cowboys, and it has aliens, but it also has James Bond and Indy. Let's continue discussing this on its merits."

I liked the slow escalation of that trailer. I'd already seen it but I could hear the audience gradually realize what was happening.

Cowboys and Aliens is a ridiculous name and it's supposed to be kinda funny. Thankfully, the rest of the trailer was totally stone-faced serious and the action looks great. I love the bracelet-gun.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    thorgot wrote: »
    They did a crazy amount of work to get the glowing costumes to look as they did on the original film...makes the new film's effect seem lazy by comparison.

I really need to rewatch the making of featurette again. Amazing stuff.

the guy in charge of costumes and light cycles and probably other stuff was on NPR yesterday.

he said all the lights on the costumes were actual lights on the costumes, not added afterwards, since they wanted to get the added effect of lights showing up on other people too. (I'm sure there was a lot of post-processing there, though).

he also said he went through all the sketch books of the original light cycle designer and discovered the way they had wanted to do things (with an open cockpit), but didn't have the technology, so he worked off of the guy's original design.

your assumption (and my assumption) that almost everything was CGI was unfounded. "People would be surprised at how much of the movie was real."

so no, they were not lazy. they were the opposite of lazy.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't being serious

The joke is that actually adding lights to the costumes seems much easier than drawing the lights into every frame in post-production

i.e.; "lazy by comparison"

Green on