Options

Everybody post in the new [STEAM] thread.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is UFO: Afterlight a good replacement for someone having trouble getting into X-Com?

I really tried to get into it, but the ugly look and the clunkiness of the controls sent me running after a few missions.

desc on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    Stalker and Metro are totally different. Stalker is very much a radioactive sandbox with missions you pick from NPCs and factions, where Metro is basically a linear shooter.

Well I meant theme-wise. Plus, I'm not sure how much more my backlog can take.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Is stalker scary? I'm interested, but....but....I'm still playing Amnesia slowly and I'm so scared of it. :oops:

Not scary in that sense.

But very very tense and edge of your set. If you're talking genres, I'd call Amnesia a horror and Stalker a thriller. They can evoke the same heart pounding experiences, but just from a different source and feeling.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    @ Hyper, no, other UFO games are terrible replacements for X-Com. Maybe if there's a demo but they're really not good.

@ anoffday Stalker isn't going Boo and trying to make you jump like Amnesia is. It's just a scary setting and you're left with your wits and skills to survive in it.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    Is stalker scary? I'm interested, but....but....I'm still playing Amnesia slowly and I'm so scared of it. :oops:

No comparison. STALKER will give you a fighting chance. The Zone is more about brutality and harsh conditions and not so much terror. Amnesia, on the other hand is all about working on your nerves from every direction until it reduces you to a tear-soaked, gibbering animal.

Drake on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shit. There are no less than five games on today's Last Chance sale that I thought about over the course of the week. I ultimately decided not to grab them, but now they are back. It's like Fate is saying "You Have To Buy These."

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Booo, no Potato pack.

And man, I was tempted to go for Napoleon deal today (already owned Empire, which is why I was waffling on the combo) and then I realized that 1) it no longer had the Medieval/Rome discount, and 2) I wouldn't have gotten that discount anyway since I didn't own them through Steam (despite owning both, and Medieval, and expansions throughout).

That's kinda annoying.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    also I'm actively angry at Grotesque for the horrible writing and the sub-deviantart faux anime headshots for characters while they talk incessantly. Grrr.

desc on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh, good. amnesia isn't doing that "extra off if you own this" thing anymore. I almost bought it. phew.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    oh, good. amnesia isn't doing that "extra off if you own this" thing anymore. I almost bought it. phew.

You're lucky I don't have enough money to gift it.

Because damn it I would have made that game appear on your game list.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok Stalker is piquing my interest.... but not sure if I should buy or not. Same with NWN2... Gah!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ugh, I gotta make room on my harddrive

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Amnesia is like the best game to gift. Because you are giving someone a really great game that truly deserves a ton of exposure. But also because you are giving them something that will probably make them experience a catatonic episode.

Seriously, I can only play that game in thirty minute, maybe an hour long sessions. Games like Silent Hill 2 I played in seven and eight hour sittings ( :shock: when did I ever have that kind of time?).

Drake on
  • Options
    SvenSven Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Awsome. Got killing floor that i couldn't afford earlier this week.

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AetheriAetheri Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Things I am thankful for so far this year:

-harvest, for gifting me stalker
    -my university, for giving me 6 MB/s download speeds

Which game should I play first?

Aetheri on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Killing Floor is a good time. I bought it during the midweek sale when the Christmas update came out. If anyone wants to play it later add offday to steam.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shadow of Chernobyl comes first.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aetheri wrote: »
    Things I am thankful for so far this year:

-harvest, for gifting me stalker
    -my university, for giving me 6 MB/s download speeds

Which game should I play first?

Shadow of Chernobyl.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Same here. $2 are $2 :P

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    Anyone who wants Stalker gifted please PM me your address, and post when you get the gift.

[strike]Offer good for 20 more minutes![/strike]

Offer has expired!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmm got a little more money, its between stalker and amnesia?

Shade on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have $5 left before I am completely out of steam fundage.

What do I get.

You get Rogue Trooper, that's what you get. One of my favorite games ever. A must if you have any love for 2000 AD in general and the blue guy in particular.

If you want something from the sale, then Stalker or Plants vs Zombies. Both are ace.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Iolo just gifted me Dead Space!

Thanks man, the classiness in here is absolutely stratospheric.

I love games like this. Give me gory, splatterhouse monsters to kill and I'm a happy space guy.

Drake on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    desc wrote: »
    also I'm actively angry at Grotesque for the horrible writing and the sub-deviantart faux anime headshots for characters while they talk incessantly. Grrr.

I told you guys

Grotesque Tactics is a terrible fucking game

don't buy it

if it were free, it wouldn't be worth it

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm torn on whether I should get the STALKER bundle. I already own the first one, and it kind of runs like crap on my PC. The game won't...stop...crashing.

Killing Floor is kind of tempting at that price, but I passed by on it once already. Does anyone have a guest pass so I can give it a try? I'm on the fence, and maybe playing it will finally push me over. http://steamcommunity.com/id/bulliomarf/home

EDIT: Damn, that was fast. Thanks, Drake!

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also want a reiterate what a generous person Harvest is. He went above and beyond to gift me Stalker Bundle despite having some trouble along the way. Kudos!

Pheace on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm tempted to get nwn2 diamond. Someone talk me out of it!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »

Buy it.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I disappear for 3 days for New Years festivities with friend and we're almost at the end of a thread, that kind of makes me wonder what I missed...

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Never! That game is worth every penny! :D

Pheace on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    fmz65 wrote: »
    I disappear for 3 days for New Years festivities with friend and we're almost at the end of a thread, that kind of makes me wonder what I missed...

Lotta people gettin' hella poor.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gah, I'm doing it again. Debating Dead Space even though I already own it on a console.

Also is it just me or did they take an extra dollar off of PvZ? I could have sworn it was 50% last time.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am also thankful for harvest being an awesome person and gifting me stalker. Thank you! :D

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Gah, I'm doing it again. Debating Dead Space even though I already own it on a console.

Also is it just me or did they take an extra dollar off of PvZ? I could have sworn it was 50% last time.

In the EU it's 3.99 now versus 4.00 before I believe xD

Pheace on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Buy it.

You guys!

*goes to cry somewhere, what with his wallet being property of steam*

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bullio wrote: »
    I'm torn on whether I should get the STALKER bundle. I already own the first one, and it kind of runs like crap on my PC. The game won't...stop...crashing.

Killing Floor is kind of tempting at that price, but I passed by on it once already. Does anyone have a guest pass so I can give it a try? I'm on the fence, and maybe playing it will finally push me over. http://steamcommunity.com/id/bulliomarf/home

EDIT: Damn, that was fast. Thanks, Drake!

My pleasure. Maybe you can join in later on. Cheesecake is talking about getting together in the G&T Adventure Team chat later on. Or you can just keep an eye on your friends list. KF has good Steamworks support, which is such a pleasure.

Drake on
  • Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I gave in to Killing Floor, add me to Steam so we can play us some coop.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am another benefactor of Harvest's kindness. Thank you so much for the STALKER Pack. You are one classy Gent!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I know nothing about Amnesia or Killing Floor, but you chaps seem to be talking about both of them an awful lot. Sell me on them!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    143999 wrote: »
    143999 wrote: »

You mean the gift you GIVE for winning the contest, or the gift you GET for running it?

Oh, the gift I would give would be a future gift, since I have had the reins pulled on me for this Christmas sale. Actually, I was thinking of running a contest like that anyway...like entries for stories about the worst Christmas gift ever, or something.

I don't see a problem with that, as long as you're a classy fellow about it.

Certainly, sir. Tip o' the cap to ye. There shall even be a (poorly made) gift voucher PDF/JPG for the winner.

INTRODUCING:
    The Minecraft-based Future Steam Sale Enablement Contest
    (presented by 143999, Frem, and RandomHajile)
    Frem wrote:
    Minecraft Art

You say you are a classy gentleman? Indeed? Tut, tut. But do you appreciate art? Do you visit galleries showcasing only the finest of artsyness? Do you create art?

Behold, a contest dedicated to that very purpose. You may have heard of Minecraft.

Step 1: Visit the ancient free version at this link. Pick up thine scalpel and sculpt! (B pulls up the block palette. Right and left click to place or remove blocks.)
    Step 2: Post a single screenshot showcasing your classy work of blocky art. Place a red, and yellow block next to each other somewhere in the image so we know you aren't a degenerate cheater. Winners will be judged based on sheer classiness.

I will judge based, as said, on classiness. Bonus points for a subject I really like. For an idea, see my avatar/nick, or one of the three game threads I have posted in lately (okay, here's a hint, they're the RDR, Fallout, and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood threads). It can be a really basic image. I don't know Minecraft very well, but I can tell something like this isn't difficult (well, depending on your artistic ability/imagination, I suppose).

So, what do you get if you win? (In case you haven't been following the thread...) ONE FUTURE $5 GAME/PACK. To be paid on or after March 1, 2010. BioShock 2 on sale for $5 in July? Hell yes. Hitman Pack for $5 next Christmas sale? Sure thing, dawg. Five games for $1 each? Done.

How do you know I won't go back on my word? Well, you don't! That's what is so crazy about this contest! But really, I won't. Just call in your certificate in a PM. If you forget it, I (hopefully) will not, and during the Christmas Steam sale you shall be reminded.

Contest shall end when I get around to it tomorrow. I'll probably be up around noon Eastern. Don't judge me. It's 3:20 and I'm just now going to bed.

Nobody wants to enter a contest for a free game in the future? No? Is it the Minecraft part? Okay, then. How about you just tell me what game you want to see on sale for $5 in the future that you would request if you won said prize? (I really liked the Minecraft thing, though...)

RandomHajile on
This discussion has been closed.