As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Reading/Book Thread: With That Same Ol' Bad Taste!

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just picked up House of Leaves from the library. I have no idea what this book is about, only that a friend recommended it to me.

Hope it's good!

Flay on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Welp

Laughed so hard my dog thinks I'm choking and is now attacking me

Mission accomplished, GG

And re: Master & Commander, yeah, I've only read the first three, myself. They were completely great, but then I got distracted by the fact that I have over 50 books here that I own already and haven't read yet.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have like two shelves full of books that need to be read

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    CuChulainnCuChulainn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i started reading the silmarillion... this faenor guy? like, c'mon.

CuChulainn on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CuChulainn wrote: »
    i started reading the silmarillion... this faenor guy? like, c'mon.

Yeah, I know

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LS I know what else you should be reading right now

hint

YaYa on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My mom bought me Dresden Files Side Jobs, should I read the whole thing tonight y/n?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    YaYa wrote: »

hint

I actually read it already! Which will probably drive you even more mad, because I started writing my thoughts about it but I haven't finished and now I'm going to walk the dog and head to the bar for the night. But tomorrow I'll have something for you!

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »
    that's a western, at least

i don't know what the fuck as i lay dying is

an exploration of a family member's death and familial dysfunction from all the family member's viewpoints at once, even the dead one

and blood meridian is about a judge that rapes a kid

and also injun slaughter

he doesn't rape the boy

the indians do most of the slaughtering btw

it's implied that he's having a threesome with the idiot and a little girl towards the end of the book

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011

hint

I actually read it already! Which will probably drive you even more mad, because I started writing my thoughts about it but I haven't finished and now I'm going to walk the dog and head to the bar for the night. But tomorrow I'll have something for you!

don't bother I just exploded out of sheer rage

YaYa on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Uriel wrote: »
    My mom bought me Dresden Files Side Jobs, should I read the whole thing tonight y/n?

I greatly enjoyed this book except for the very last story that takes place after Changes. So yes, at least read up to the last story.

I also enjoyed Name of the Wind.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    webguy20 wrote: »

I greatly enjoyed this book except for the very last story that takes place after Changes. So yes, at least read up to the last story.

That is such a good book.

The new one is only a few months away.

Blauraughg.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hard to pin down a favorite book for me last year. I read The Terror and Raw Shark Texts and Hyperion and actually those are the only non-school books I can remember reading. Oh, also all of the Temeraire books

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Blauraughg.

General spoilers about the main character of Name of the Wind
    He is such a Gary Stu, but I like to think it gets made up for by the amount of times he gets the shit beat out of him in some form or another.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    smof wrote: »
    I have just read this

ShadesofGreynovel.jpg

It was excellent. Some of the best writing I've seen for a while, and properly funny. Good news is it's the first of a trilogy. Bad news is the second one probably won't be out until 2014, which is a crazy wait.

just watch Smof

he's gonna start three more series' just to annoy his fans

he already wrote a very average young adult book!

Are you referring to the Last Dragonslayer or whatever it's called? I had a look at that and wasn't wowed by the summary on the back. I now have the Big Over Easy by him, to read once I've finished the book I'm on now. Detective story featuring nursery rhyme characters, which sounds pretty good.

In other news I'm getting near the end of the Yahtzee Croshaw book and I'm happy to say it's actually pretty good so well done him.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The Last Dragonslayer is basically "I can't be bothered writing more mythology into the Jurisfiction universe so here is a half-assed book full of quirk"

I didn't mind the Big Over Easy though

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    do any of you smart reading people want to give me notes on a (very) short first draft of a play I wrote as part of this weird concert thing that's coming up

LS did it before it was cool and we all love her!

YaYa on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited January 2011
    I think I'm getting addicted to gay young adult fiction

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I would really like to sig that

I'm not going to but I would like to

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    do it

I never get sigged

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i'm like

it's just, I'm reading all the books I wish were available to me when I was a kid

if I had these when I was fifteen I could've worked through a looooooooot of issues

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    during my formative years most of my reading involved wizards and dragons and shit

to be fair, I'm totally over my magic dragon issues!

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm reading through luna right now, started it last night, will probably finish tonight

I wish there were more books like this and almost perfect; they kind of hit close to home

i'm a big weepy girl though, don't mind me

Whippy on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man reading the Terror, its like, oh god, I know none of you make it.

Also I was watching 'Creation' and Charles Darwin references one of the dudes in the Terror, who also references meeting charles darwin on one of his earlier voyages. Blending history with horror is fun!

Prohass on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Blauraughg.

He is such a Gary Stu, but I like to think it gets made up for by the amount of times he gets the shit beat out of him in some form or another.

I still don't know that I'd call him that

I mean, motherfucker makes all kinds of mistakes, and has a bunch of terrible shit happen to him, and does not know how to handle women at all

Besides, think about the premise of the book. You can't very well have him not be good at things sometimes!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yaya you can email me your play!

i was not online last night, sorryyyyy

Quoth on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Argus wrote: »
    Finished Tokyo Vice. I think I found the depictions of Japanese corporations and work culture to be the most interesting parts, but overall it was a good read. Surprising, interesting, and sad in parts.

Starting up The Last Boy, a biography of Mickey Mantle. I'm hoping it's good, player bio's can be hit or miss.

I just finished Tokyo Vice today. I, too, found his descriptions of the job - especially breaking in - to be most interesting, considerably moreso than the yakuza stuff. I also found the tidbits about Japanese culture to be interesting, but I am a gigantic weaboo. (Also, most of the Japanese racism against gaijins is amusing when I'm reading about it in the USA.)

Yeah, I saw the original post, looked this book up on Amazon, and I have now reserved a copy at Barnes & Noble to pick up tomorrow. Sounds interesting, :)

Yessss soon we will all have read this and my plan will be complete.

thanimations on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am currently reading the Ballad of the White Horse by GK Chesterton, on loan from the collection of one J. Langly Awesomeguy, esq.

For christmas I got The Fort and The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell, Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris, and the HG Wells collection from Munkus for SS.

So I've got some good reading ahead of me.

At work, I'm using our expansive online technical library/learning center/certification tool thingy to read about programming artificial intelligences for games. It might be a slight misappropriation of the tools at hand, but it's either that or I watch a progress bar move across a screen.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

Blauraughg.

I still don't know that I'd call him that

I mean, motherfucker makes all kinds of mistakes, and has a bunch of terrible shit happen to him, and does not know how to handle women at all

Besides, think about the premise of the book. You can't very well have him not be good at things sometimes!

Yeah this. I mean I get the Mary Sue/Gary Stu thing and how it's annoying but I'd hardly call Kvoth a Gary Stu, it's pretty clear that by the time the book opens he's kind of a mess.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i have heard that squirrel seeks chipmunk is incredibly dark and depressing

Quoth on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i want to read something non-fiction
    something informative and cool
    maybe about science or technology or something

i just read a novel so i feel i wanna switch it up

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Quoth wrote: »

I read the first short story. It was kind of dark humor in that it was about a person (animal) in the service industry trying to tell a client what they wanted to hear just to ensure their business, but there wasn't much depressing about it. I guess you could draw some parallels to using casual racism too.

Point is, it was funny.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i want to read something non-fiction
    something informative and cool
    maybe about science or technology or something

i just read a novel so i feel i wanna switch it up

Sam Harris - The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Moral Values

Donald L Miller - The Story of WWII (Not really about science or technology, but the best retelling of WWII from personal accounts I've ever read)

Andrew Chaikin - A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts

A Man on the Moon is what the miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon" was based on, and it is seriously the best book on the Apollo program ever written. I consider it a must read for any space program enthusiast.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oo, those look good, thanks for suggestions. i like me ww2 things.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Quoth wrote: »

I read the first short story. It was kind of dark humor in that it was about a person (animal) in the service industry trying to tell a client what they wanted to hear just to ensure their business, but there wasn't much depressing about it. I guess you could draw some parallels to using casual racism too.

Point is, it was funny.

i think i heard one at least is about child murder

his approach, if i remember correctly, was to sort of mimic certain african stories, inclusive of the really horrible crap that happens to people in them

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oo, those look good, thanks for suggestions. i like me ww2 things.

That book is like 800 pages long, but pretty worth it and split up into nice confined segments.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am currently reading the Ballad of the White Horse by GK Chesterton, on loan from the collection of one J. Langly Awesomeguy, esq.

For christmas I got The Fort and The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell, Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris, and the HG Wells collection from Munkus for SS.

At work, I'm using our expansive online technical library/learning center/certification tool thingy to read about programming artificial intelligences for games. It might be a slight misappropriation of the tools at hand, but it's either that or I watch a progress bar move across a screen.

would you mind me asking which hg wells collection that is?

queuewindow on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

How do you like it? I really liked The Man Who Was Thursday. Have you read it? I haven't read Ballad. I'm flying across the Atlantic in a month, so I'm going to need a decent read.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    KarnackKarnack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am finally taking the plunge and reading Ulysses

a few pages in and I was afraid I'd react to it like I did The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (that is, fall asleep)

fifty pages in and I'm not asleep! all is well.

I just finished You Shall Know Our Velocity! and was pretty happy with it. I have friends who are all up on eggers and I can understand that, but it is not a long-lasting work, I think. That might not have been the point, though

Karnack on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

would you mind me asking which hg wells collection that is?

51ChRmv0csL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It is quite pretty.

How do you like it? I really liked The Man Who Was Thursday. Have you read it? I haven't read Ballad. I'm flying across the Atlantic in a month, so I'm going to need a decent read.

Langly let me borrow both the Ballad of the White Horse and The Man Who Was Thursday, but I'm so busy I haven't had a ton of reading time.

NotASenator on
This discussion has been closed.