As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Telltale's Jurassic Park: Hold on to your butts!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are the Jurassic Park movies available on BluRay? I might have to pick them up. I want to see a T-Rex eat a lawyer off a toilet in high definition.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Are the Jurassic Park movies available on BluRay? I might have to pick them up. I want to see a T-Rex eat a lawyer off a toilet in high definition.

Nope. But if it's anything like Back to the Future, they'll probably release the blu-rays sometime this year and include a game promotion.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    InexactQuotientInexactQuotient Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This thread has inspired me to read the first novel again. Some people are saying it's no good, but I remember really liking it... but to be fair I was 11.

I'm 30 pages in though, and so far it's as wicked-awesome as I remember.

InexactQuotient on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I loved the first novel when I was a kid. I went through and read a bunch of his other books as a result. Rising sun probably wasn't appropriate for an eleven year old.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Definitely going to have to keep an eye on this game and see how it shapes up.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope this is easy to beat. Like the SNES version.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey I was just reading this thread and noticed that the pet goat I have next to me at work is missing. Where is the goat?

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Hey I was just reading this thread and noticed that the pet goat I have next to me at work is missing. Where is the goat?

Eaten by Reapers.

I know, the T-Rex. Everybody blames the T-Rex, but he had a perfect alibi.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Just announced for early 2011. Trilogy pack like the Back To the Future set.

Allforce on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Eaten by Reapers.

I know, the T-Rex. Everybody blames the T-Rex, but he had a perfect alibi.
    The T-rex didn't want to be fed, it wants to hunt. Unless of course the power generators are suddenly turned off, then yeah it was the T-rex.

Damn you undercover, Cerberus, Templar computer wiz! I hope those dinosaur embryos lead to your tragic, yet hilarious death!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Allforce wrote: »

Just announced for early 2011. Trilogy pack like the Back To the Future set.

It'll probably come with the first episode of the game, too, like the Back to the Future set

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Allforce wrote: »
    Remember the SNES JP game? The one where it was all top-down gameplay outdoors and then kind of shitty FPS inside? I fucking beat that game when I was like 13, it had NO saving and you got like 3 lives. I had to keep the Nintendo on overnight in order to do it and the ending was so shitty.

I do remember thinking the graphics were fucking amazing at the time though, at least the outdoor sections.

SPTop100-84.gif

Jurassic_Park_SNES_ScreenShot2.gif

The indoor scenes were comparable to Wolfenstein, only instead of Nazis it was raptors and spitters. There were a handful of weapons but the only ones that were any goddamned good were the rockets and the exploding bolas.

The second one was a challenging if not particularly inspired platformer with a lot of exploration elements. The stages were pretty varied, but almost universally hard, and it wasn't uncommon to leave a screen with half a dozen raptors right on your heels, because the most efficient solution was to jump over them and never look back. The downside to this strategy?

Just like in real life - if you stumble on an obstacle or miss a jump, you get raped by dinosaurs.

But to give you an idea of the stage variety, here's a few I remember:

Gallimimus Stampede - tons of dudes shooting you, Gallimimuses fleeing across the stage. You had to avoid shooting them. Oh, and the ground is peppered with landmines.
    Triceratops cave - a fucking labyrinth filled with pterasaurs and raptors. Your only clue is that a tracking collar beeps faster the closer you get, so you have to navigate this lava filled nightmare trying to figure out which way to go by ear.
    Raptor Utility Shed - make your way through the forest to a huge utility... building (it's huge, easy to get lost) filled with Raptors. You find out they're breeding and have to set a gas bomb to poison them all. Except you have to plant it where the eggs are, which is far from the exit. No, you don't get a gas mask and yes it drains life quickly, so run, motherfucker!

Delzhand on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PixiStyx wrote: »
    From what I can remember, originally Deinonychus and Velociraptor were both classified under the genus Velociraptor, and thats why the Velociraptors in the novel are modeled after Deinonychus. The book also mentions that Hammond wanted them to toy with the animals' DNA to make them more entertaining, ending with an island filled with theme park monsters that look like Dinosaurs more than anything else. The movie didn't mention any of that but nevertheless made basically a giant monster version of a Deinonychus for the Velociraptor design (Deinonychus, although larger than Velociraptor, was still only wolf-ish in size).

Interestingly, I think soon after the movie came out, Utahraptor was discovered, which almost legitimizes the size of the 'raptors in the movie.

Could be! Honestly, it doesn't matter to me whether or not the movie is completely accurate...it's still a damn fine film regardless. And given the dinosaur movies that came previously it was heads and tails better researched. Largely because most of the dinosaur movies that came before were things like Caveman! :wink:

When I was a kid and obsessed with dinosaurs I went to a talk by Robert Bakker who is a paleontologist and was one of the advisers for Jurrassic park. From what I remember Speilberg basically asked him if there were any dinosaurs like Velociraptor but big a person and Bakker said no, Spielberg asked if there was any reason scientifically why there couldn't have been and Bakker thought about it and said no so Speilberg put in the giant raptors. Incidently Robert Bakker wrote a novel about a Utahraptor called Raptor Red which at least as a 12 year old was pretty awesome, no guarantee that it is any good today.

Neaden on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yep, the creators took quite a few avenues trying to find man-sized dinosaurs. Chrichton's velociraptors were modelled after deinonychus due to a taxonomic dispute going on in field of palentology when he was writing. Although deinonychus is bigger than a velociraptor, it's still only about 3-4 feet tall (compared to the 6 feet of the movie). Deinonychus also hasn't definitively been found to have a coat of downy feathers like the velociraptor. Although they're part of the same family deinonychus is an older ancestor, indicating a trend towards smaller, more-feathered animals.

Deinonychus_NT.jpg

6-foot turkey? More like 6-foot vulture.

President Rex on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game should be set during Thanksgiving and feature a dinner scene with a roasted velicoraptor is being cut up on the dining table.

God bless you, Google Image Search.

dino_turkey.jpg

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope my computer is powerful enough to run this game without me saying, "Must go faster, must go faster!"

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Telltale games tend not to be too resource heavy.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Repostin' this because HOLY CARP
    1up wrote:
    Is a Walking Dead Videogame About to Be Announced?

A videogame based on the comic book and television series The Walking Dead may be in the works by a veteran adventure game developer.

According to an invitation we received Wednesday, Sam & Max and Back to the Future episodic game developer Telltale will be announcing five new multi-platform projects during a formal event in San Francisco on Thursday, February 17. Among them, says the invitation, is "one based on a just-launched property from the TV and comic book world whose popularity is changing life as some know it."

Even if it isn't Walking Dead (though I don't know what else it could be?), that still means five new titles. Exciting!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So wait, this is a Jurassic Park game with Heavy Rain inspired mechanics?

Day 1.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Telltale games tend not to be too resource heavy.

That used to be the case, but the last few Telltale games have been choppy, with laggy mouse from low framerate, at max settings on my 9500GT. (And yes, I'm stubborn and don't want to lower the settings, degrading the visuals.)

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes the shaving cream can!

I mean seriously the way that part was filmed all you could ever think about is that someone has to go look for it.

Also very cool that its taking place concurrently with the original story.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I mean seriously the way that part was filmed all you could ever think about is that someone has to go look for it.

No, the way that part was filmed made it seem like the shaving cream can was gone forever and no one would ever find it. Hence, the mud

But given how much time and money that other genetic engineering company must have invested in getting those embryos, I can believe that they'd probably send someone else to get them after Nedry gets eaten

Boy I hope this game turns out alright

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The trailer has me interested, but I need to see some gameplay before I need to see some gameplay before I make up my mind on this one.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So my computer sucks. Is this going to be PC only?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    No, the way that part was filmed made it seem like the shaving cream can was gone forever and no one would ever find it. Hence, the mud
    To me it just screamed Sequel Hook.

Glal on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Trailer was pretty cool. Disappointed that the T-rex didn't make his Skywalker-Sound Elephant-Rhino-whateverthefuck noise he does in the movies.

I think the sound is critical for this game. Maybe more important than the visuals in terms of design and emotional effect. Gonna keep watching this one though, it looks cool.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Trailer was pretty cool. Disappointed that the T-rex didn't make his Skywalker-Sound Elephant-Rhino-whateverthefuck noise he does in the movies.

I think the sound is critical for this game. Maybe more important than the visuals in terms of design and emotional effect. Gonna keep watching this one though, it looks cool.

Yeah, it just sounds like they used the t-rex roar from Dino Crisis. I have to wonder why since the Jurassic Park t-rex roar is one of the coolest roars ever.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Still kind of put off by the fact that they're using all new characters, though I guess I understand why they're doing it. It's just weird that they play off movie nostalgia to get the trailer going, and then for the rest of the video it's whoever-the-fuck and what's-his-face.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ugh, guys. The trailer was lame.

And yes that roar sucked. Was that a t rex or a kitten?

I'll still give them the benefit of the doubt, but the trailer didn't get me excited about this.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Unless they're toonified I always find video game faces based on real people creepy as fuck so new characters are fine by me. Plus, JK was a book first.

Glal on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Repostin' this because HOLY CARP
    1up wrote:
    Is a Walking Dead Videogame About to Be Announced?

A videogame based on the comic book and television series The Walking Dead may be in the works by a veteran adventure game developer.

According to an invitation we received Wednesday, Sam & Max and Back to the Future episodic game developer Telltale will be announcing five new multi-platform projects during a formal event in San Francisco on Thursday, February 17. Among them, says the invitation, is "one based on a just-launched property from the TV and comic book world whose popularity is changing life as some know it."

Even if it isn't Walking Dead (though I don't know what else it could be?), that still means five new titles. Exciting!

Walking Dead has been confirmed. Along with Fables :)http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/02/telltale-developing-fables-walking-dead-video-games/
    walking-dead-game.jpg

Maximum on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man I loved Jurassic Park as a kid. I had all the toys and games and I remember being highly impressed by that (brachiosaurus?) since all I'd ever seen of animated dinosaurs up until then had been clay-mation. When it came out on VHS I even got the local video store to sell me some of their promotional displays and posters and whatnot. It was awesome.

I've been trying to find my Trespasser CD ever since it got mentioned here.

Unfortunately it seems I must have thrown it away at some point :(

RT800 on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The walking dead could be pretty awesome stylistically. Every time you kill a zombie, instead of disgusting gore it just goes black,white and grey with the details

edit: Jurassic Park trailer was balls, I hope they do something with the sound.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HubHub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Quick look seems pretty good. It certainly isn't my dream Jurassic park game, but I'm fairly certain I'll be getting this. I checked out a little of Back to the Future chapter one, and I liked it. I'm not normally a point and click gamer though, but it felt like they treated the property with respect. Judging by the developer diaries, it seemed like they were really aiming to give people what they wanted.

Also I really want to buy a SNES, so I can play the Jurassic park game for it again. I remember renting that game out over and over, when I was a kid. The first person sections were great.
    By great I mean, they scared the shit out of me when I was kid.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hub wrote: »
    Gameplay video, look cool in a heavy rain style.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-road-show-jurassic-park/17-3818/

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it with more polish

tofu on
  • Options
    HubHub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would pay for the game even in that state. Thats how much I love jurassic park!

Hub on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty much sold after that quick look.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone know how this is going to play on a PC without a gamepad? This may be the first Telltale game I plug my 360 controller in for.

Also, no one mentioned yet in this thread that Telltale is bringing back KING'S QUEST.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png