Options

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Deadspace wrote: »
    Vinter you beated me to that.... :P

PS been reading stuff supposedly Jim Lee said GL expansion is in the works... *glee!* or its total hearsay.

No its been known for a while that GL stuff is coming and its going to be AWESOME! (I hope) And with Geoff Johns on the games writing team you know it will be mega awesome. God I can just imagine a Sinestro Corps War PvP event

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How the eff do you beat The Joker fight (The one around level 15)?
    I'm a Gadget guy and I just do not have the health to withstand his attacks and he seems to completely ignore Batman and do nothing but chase me around the room. Even if I try and defend/roll the entire time he's chasing me, eventually I have to go after him to make him drop the detonators, and he just destroys me. I've made it to the Defend Gordon phase twice but I have like 10HP left at that point, and the Joker + the 8 or so guys from the present boxes all gank me at once.

I have tried multiple times both in DPS mode and Controller mode. I don't use all my power at once, I block, roll, stun the enemy, ect. Seems like I am playing to the best of my abilities but I am being utterly destroyed at level 15.

How is this even possible? Really feel like some of these boss fights should suggest you go in with multiple players. They are listed under solo content but unless you're a specific class, way out level it, or completely cheese it, they seem impossible. I only managed to defeat Bane by hiding on the ceiling which made me immune to the falling rocks, and Harley only went down thanks to the respawning health gas.

EDIT: Right after posting a random guy invited me to a group, he was level 16. Went as DPS and I did Controller, we decimated The Joker in no time flat.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Huh... in my case I did the Hero version of that on Hailestro with no problems, of course he's an Ice Tank. On the other hand my Plant/Staff Villain did their version of it just fine, however I ended up helping a Controller whom couldn't seem to handle it on their own.

D:

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'd go for a full group for any of those 'Wanted!' missions. Hell some of them there was such an interest we just threw a raid together and would zerg them.

See I was trying to switch to activate my mission when I saw a bunch of people ganging up on Bizarro trying to get a free kill, but didn't seem to get enough hits in to count (I did get the feat accomplishment though).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i thought you guys said the pvp was better in this? why am i stuck at level 4 because the second i touch down to try to work on a mission i get ganked in a single hit every damn time?

boooooo pvp booooo

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm starting to get annoyed with the PvP, but at this point I'm too invested to switch to another server.

What would be nice is if other heroes who are right next to you would help when a villain starts shit. Everyone's being bat-jerks with their reluctance to help. The level 30's camping the lower level mission areas are becoming a bigger problem, what losers trying to impress the lady characters who were made by some guy who has a Poison Ivy fixation.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'd go for a full group for any of those 'Wanted!' missions. Hell some of them there was such an interest we just threw a raid together and would zerg them.

See I was trying to switch to activate my mission when I saw a bunch of people ganging up on Bizarro trying to get a free kill, but didn't seem to get enough hits in to count (I did get the feat accomplishment though).

Should have completed it.
    BEAST! wrote: »
    i thought you guys said the pvp was better in this? why am i stuck at level 4 because the second i touch down to try to work on a mission i get ganked in a single hit every damn time?

boooooo pvp booooo

Well the PvP itself is actually VERY good, but the community... not so much. I had not expected it to be this terrible, but I also underestimated the amount of attention the game would receive.

Also Texi no you aren't too invested. Not even a day of playing my first Villain on Darkness Falls and I'd gotten into my teens, while it had taken a while to get to 20 on my hero. The levels will go by quick when you wont have a bunch of pricks sitting around at level cap camping a lower level mission area.

Arthil on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ARTHIL/HAILESTRO'S BIG GIANT POST OF IMPORTANCE!whichwillprobablybebottompage'd
    Alright guys I'm going to put together a list here with as many people as I can see that I don't know have not been invited to the League of Arcadians. If I miss your name, PLEASE quote this post and add your name with a RED coloring.

ALSO! Everyone who is already in the League I'd appreciate it if you would add your names to a different part of said post, that I will create at the bottom. So that we know who is who, and such.

PAers Currently Not In League as far as I know:

The Cow King - Dr Payback
    TexiKen - USAgent
    Arcath - Hesperos
    MikeMcSomething - Quicks
    JimJimBinks - Observer
    jdarksun - Ballista
    Foefaller - Grey Knight & Ignatia & others yet to be determined
    Bad Karma - Red Rooster (rerolled, thanks)(Rerolled to what?) Still Red Rooster, just deleted the original and made a new one, won't be a habit.
    Hypertime - Hypertime I'm a nooooooooooooooooob :?
    PikaPuff - Black Feather
    Morvidus - Ymir

THIS IS WHERE DUDES IN THE LEAGUE ALREADY PUT THEIR NAMES MMM'KAY?:
    Arthil - Hailestro
    LockedOnTarget - Spitfire
    TaliosFalcon - Rakaos
    Khildith - Khildith/Dysphoros
    Silas Brown - Iceclasp
    Mazzyx - Brokenhawk
    AspectVoid - Vihar
    Mugginns - Tornado
    MajorTremor - Sizzle
    Barrabas - Mystic Shard
    Vinter - Vinter
    Kevin Crist - Ananse
    Aistan - Inferno Rose
    Just_Bri_Thanks - Flying Fox
    Maguano - Wolfpack
    CorriganX - Croissanwich
    Island - Slyde
    Evigilant- Evigilant
    damval - Star Breaker
    BloodyRoarXX - Final Justice
    Witch_Hunter_84 - Punchkicker

I made a new character. What's the steam channel again?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DCArcadians There you go Pika, also was that new character on Death & Glory or a Villain on Darkness Falls?

Arthil on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there a buddy key request/conga line thread? I'm interested in trying it out.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Huh... in my case I did the Hero version of that on Hailestro with no problems, of course he's an Ice Tank. On the other hand my Plant/Staff Villain did their version of it just fine, however I ended up helping a Controller whom couldn't seem to handle it on their own.

D:

Thing is, 90% of controller builds depend on thier ability to stun, kockback, etc. for survival, as opposed to healing (Nature, Sorcery, Fire) or mitigation (Ice)... something which most bosses are resistant to...

Have to be more keen on a boss's patterns and tells with a controller power source than you do with healers or tanks if you want to get thier School of Hard Knocks feat.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So hey, question: are power visuals customizable?

I'm watching videos and I'm seeing a lot of purple (e.g., mind, hand blasters). And I'm thinking it's silly, but wondering if I could change it.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So how does the super charger bar work exactly? I took two 50% supercharge abilities that are totally rad but they don't actually seem that useful since I rarely get to use them.

However anaesthetic makes your pretty much invulnerable and is totally rad.

I believe the colour of your powers are determined by what power type you take, I took gadget hand blasters and my gauntlets shoot a tealish colour.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So how does the super charger bar work exactly? I took two 50% supercharge abilities that are totally rad but they don't actually seem that useful since I rarely get to use them.

However anaesthetic makes your pretty much invulnerable and is totally rad.

as you fight NPCs and villains, your bar rises. Once it reaches 100% you get special bonuses depending on your character (my controller pistol guy gets a damage bonus). But like you see you have some that can activate with 50% super bar.

Asphyxiation Gas is spot on for clearing out a bunch of NPCs, or to take on a few people on PVP, really does damage. Follow it up with Anesthetic to heal yourself, you can almost go 2v1 if you time it right. I did the Ultra-Humanite Alert, and their are swarms of gorillas with the boss fight, but you drop Asphyxiation on them and they fall down like dominoes. Amy say bad gorillas.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Any buddy codes available? I'd really like to give this a try.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just hit 30 on my villain. Ended up with 15 power points, 25 skill points. More feats to go, must get more useless combos i'll never use..

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Just hit 30 on my villain. Ended up with 15 power points, 25 skill points. More feats to go, must get more useless combos i'll never use..

The skill system needs some adjustments. Getting rid of move pre-requisites and opening the passives from the get-go would be a good start.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    ARTHIL/HAILESTRO'S BIG GIANT POST OF IMPORTANCE!whichwillprobablybebottompage'd
    Alright guys I'm going to put together a list here with as many people as I can see that I don't know have not been invited to the League of Arcadians. If I miss your name, PLEASE quote this post and add your name with a RED coloring.

ALSO! Everyone who is already in the League I'd appreciate it if you would add your names to a different part of said post, that I will create at the bottom. So that we know who is who, and such.

TexiKen - USAgent
    Arcath - Hesperos
    MikeMcSomething - Quicks
    JimJimBinks - Observer
    jdarksun - Ballista
    Bad Karma - Red Rooster (rerolled, thanks)(Rerolled to what?) Still Red Rooster, just deleted the original and made a new one, won't be a habit.
    PikaPuff - Black Feather
    Morvidus - Ymir

Arthil - Hailestro
    TaliosFalcon - Rakaos
    Silas Brown - Iceclasp
    Mazzyx - Brokenhawk
    AspectVoid - Vihar
    Mugginns - Tornado
    MajorTremor - Sizzle
    Barrabas - Mystic Shard
    Vinter - Vinter
    Kevin Crist - Ananse
    Aistan - Inferno Rose
    Maguano - Wolfpack
    CorriganX - Croissanwich
    Island - Slyde
    Evigilant- Evigilant
    damval - Star Breaker
    Dourin - Crimson Justice

I made a new character. What's the steam channel again?

Added myself to the list already in the League.

Dourin on
  • Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Added myself.

TexiKen - USAgent
    Arcath - Hesperos
    MikeMcSomething - Quicks
    JimJimBinks - Observer
    jdarksun - Ballista
    PikaPuff - Black Feather
    Morvidus - Ymir

Arthil - Hailestro
    TaliosFalcon - Rakaos
    Silas Brown - Iceclasp
    Mazzyx - Brokenhawk
    AspectVoid - Vihar
    Mugginns - Tornado
    MajorTremor - Sizzle
    Barrabas - Mystic Shard
    Vinter - Vinter
    Kevin Crist - Ananse
    Aistan - Inferno Rose
    Maguano - Wolfpack
    CorriganX - Croissanwich
    Island - Slyde
    Evigilant- Evigilant
    damval - Star Breaker
    Lunysgwen - Giraldus

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Added myself on the steam group, the name is Bertturtle.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The easiest way to get invited into the Hero league is to join our steam group DCUO Arcadians and ask in the chat channel for someone to invite you. The chat system in this game is crap and its easier to use the steam channel.

As for Villains on Darkness Falls, you might be able to get someone in the steam chat to invite you, but they don't have the steam group name in their MOTD like the heroes, so I dunno how many of us use it besides me.

Khildith on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'm starting to get annoyed with the PvP, but at this point I'm too invested to switch to another server.

What would be nice is if other heroes who are right next to you would help when a villain starts shit. Everyone's being bat-jerks with their reluctance to help. The level 30's camping the lower level mission areas are becoming a bigger problem, what losers trying to impress the lady characters who were made by some guy who has a Poison Ivy fixation.

i play with a friend of mine and every time we'd go back to the bar thing to turn in quests or sell stuff or whatever, he'd be waiting there... waiting to hit on us. :|

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So hey, question: are power visuals customizable?

I'm watching videos and I'm seeing a lot of purple (e.g., mind, hand blasters). And I'm thinking it's silly, but wondering if I could change it.

Negative. Actual powers have set colors, while the color of weapon abilities have set colors that reflect the power set you chose.

So if you picked mental, you'll have purple hand blasts, while if you picked nature, you'd probably have orange or yellow blasts (I think).

Dizzen on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    So here are my dudes at the moment:

5371828935_d37a28cf40_z.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom we have Captain Avalon (magic/sword/flying/Wonder Woman), Doc Ulysses (gadgets/brawling/acrobatics/Superman), The Golden Agent (mental/brawling/acrobatics/Batman), Candesce (fire/hand blast/flying/Superman), The Revivalist (magic/hand blast/acrobatics/Wonder Woman), The Stain (mental/hand blast/flying/Lex Luthor), Killer Thrush (martial arts/gadgets/acrobatics/Joker), and Brutella (nature/brawling/super-speed/Circe).

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just have two guys myself.

Here we have Furious Abyss (Gadgets/Brawler/Flying/Superman):
    MMET101_AUDIO-PC-19-2355330.jpg

And here is Punchkicker (Gadgets/Brawler/Acrobatics/Batman):
    MHQS103_AUDIO-PC-19-2249270.jpg

My next one will probably change it up a lot more as far as power sets, but my ideal superhero is one that just has lots of gadgets and punches guys in the face.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow. Missions are in serious need of checkpoints or something. At least, the longer ones. I'm trying to do the level 30 Joker mission, which is reeeeally long, with my mentalist, and I get to the very end, but oh no, it's impossible because I ran out of healing items. Too bad, grind up the $4000 needed to have adequate sodas and do the whole thing again.

Also: what's up with so many stun-immune enemies and bosses? No point in playing a controller if none of your most useful abilities do a damn thing in harder PvE and everything seems designed with tanks in mind.

Game is awesome though, sorry for the rant. Finally hit 30 and investigated the endgame. Seems sparse, but adequate for the first week of gameplay, can't wait to complete my gear.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just hit 30 on my first hero (on darkness falls, damn you corrigan for being on the opposite side again). There are quite a few missions to do, especially the repeat missions that my brother and I enjoyed. It may end up being a bit grindy after a while, but I'm not sure punching people in the face and setting them on fire will get old for a while yet.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a question which has been answered already probably.

When you eqt. you guy with new stuff can you "hide" your armor so you look like how you do at the start?

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    I have a question which has been answered already probably.

When you eqt. you guy with new stuff can you "hide" your armor so you look like how you do at the start?

hit ESC to bring up the menus, look for the second from the left icon with the little face mask, that controls appearance only, so you can change your look without taking off the equipment. You can even lock your appearance so it never changes.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know, I have been tempted to port my base building and secret identities threads from the CO forums to the DCUO forums just to see what kind of reaction they get.

Sure, why not? Though I wasn't aware there were DCUO forums other than the PA boards to be honest, guess I wasn't paying attention enough. But those issues are still the same from CO. To be frank a LOT of issues are the same from CO (plus a lot less customization), it's why I'm holding off a few months to see what happens before I'm willing to pick it up.

The only real thing I see DCUO having over CO in fact (and mind you this is just my opinion) is that DCUO has 1) name recognition and 2) probably isn't going to run out of a budget and be forced to start nickel and diming people less than four months in.

Now, Sony's promises of constant content updates seems a little unrealistic, but budget-wise they're worlds ahead of what CO had. It basically took every last dime and bit of energy they had available to CO to make a zone addition that, while nice, was 90% door missions with warehouse cleaning objectives to cut down on actual work. And THEN they wanted to charge for it (something that prompted a ton of forum rage and more than a few cancellations).

Honestly that budget and 'big names' is worth far more than the gameplay and content, which pisses me off a bit. Second Marvel pulled out on CO that was basically it no matter what. :?

Astale on
  • Options
    gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I've started a league with a friend and we are looking for people to join. Here is some info:

Server: Birthright / PVE / Hero

Group: OPRA
    Bulwark - Fire - Tank (lvl 17)
    Cartharxis - Sorcery - Healer (lvl 12)

Forgive the League name, its an old joke between my friends. Half of them are Opera singers and long story short, our clans have always been name OPRA as a dumb joke. I can fill you in online if you care to join up.

The only real requirement to join is that you have a headset. Communication is very important. For the time being, we are just leveling, but will be doing raids / pvp / etc once we all level up.

Msg me in game (I'm bulwark), or shoot me a msg on psn (id: gvandale)

Look forward to playing with some of you!

Geoff

gvandale on
    Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
    PSN Id: gvandale
    Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No mention of whether that's PS3 or not, though I take it the mention of a PSN ID says it is.

Arthil on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, see, only about 4 people here are playing on PS3. I am not one of them.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CorriganX wrote: »

The skill system needs some adjustments. Getting rid of move pre-requisites and opening the passives from the get-go would be a good start.

That would be nice. On the other hand, there are 3 unlocked combos (which is enough to unlock all the passives) in each weapon tree that have a passive bonus on top of a new way to hurt people, so you don't have to spend skill points on entirely "usless" skills, even if you never plan to fight with that weapon.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just re-posting my request for a buddy key if there are any out there. I want to try this, but I refuse to drop 50 bucks on an MMO until I've at least tried it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    Wow. Missions are in serious need of checkpoints or something. At least, the longer ones. I'm trying to do the level 30 Joker mission, which is reeeeally long, with my mentalist, and I get to the very end, but oh no, it's impossible because I ran out of healing items. Too bad, grind up the $4000 needed to have adequate sodas and do the whole thing again.

Also: what's up with so many stun-immune enemies and bosses? No point in playing a controller if none of your most useful abilities do a damn thing in harder PvE and everything seems designed with tanks in mind.

Game is awesome though, sorry for the rant. Finally hit 30 and investigated the endgame. Seems sparse, but adequate for the first week of gameplay, can't wait to complete my gear.

I feel your pain, my main is a mentalist and all my money also goes towards sodas, then i rolled a sorc and it's easy mode "olol i have 20 adds on this pull that would have raped my mentalist, guess i'll just heal a bit and kill them all olol"

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HtR-Laser wrote: »

I feel your pain, my main is a mentalist and all my money also goes towards sodas, then i rolled a sorc and it's easy mode "olol i have 20 adds on this pull that would have raped my mentalist, guess i'll just heal a bit and kill them all olol"

My main is a TK Mentalist as well and I don't really use a ton of sodas (atleast not 4k an instance). I made it through the lvl 30 joker mission using about 10 Soder Cola Extremes.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    why do I feel like I'm going to be purchasing this tonight...

oh, because I am... that's why. Damn you PA forums!!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alright guys I'm going to start building up a nice little text document for when a new thread can be made, is there anything you would like me to mention in it? I'm going to be linking http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418136 this near the top of the thread which more or less has a shit tonne of info, but I'll also include some stuff of our own in my post along with the Server/names list.

I'll also probably just change it to where you guys PM me after I get it set up, so that the OP isn't being quoted every other page.

Arthil on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I understand that we barely have anybody in here playing on the ps3 but if anyone is interested in a PS3 PVP league I'm thinking of creating one (unless there is already one I don't know about). If you're interested in or have anything to say about a ps3 pvp league could you send me a PM and I will try to figure out what way to go with this? I plan on making a google spreadsheet in the future if this gets off the ground so that the op won't have to update anything for us anymore.

I'm going to send the op a message and see if he'll add this request in some way to the op so maybe hopefully more people will see it.....

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
This discussion has been closed.