Options

[WOW] I don't wanna [CHAT] I wanna tank LFD all day.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Makershot wrote: »
    I had a group like that in HTotT a few days ago. Warlock and Hunter were our only CC, and the hunter couldn't understand the concept of trapping. That left the lock to manage all CC duties himself, and then the DK started bitching about the lock's DPS (the same DK who used some trinket to silence rather than his two interrupts). Honestly man, some folks just can't understanding how helping the group to stay alive is ultimately faster than wiping a half-dozen times, or waiting for my cooldowns to reset between pulls.
    I'd like to say that my brother's girlfriend, who has played WoW for three weeks total, has already grasped the concept of trapping by her 50s.

There's just...no goddamn excuse.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buddies wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Tylanthus wrote: »
    I think people underestimate how much one person can influence a group's success.

Someone doing ~10k dps, not getting hit by boss abilities, and interrupting/dispelling properly can carry a group. Even moreso if they have good people skills and can get the rest of the group to follow suite by politely giving pointers along the way. If you're that person... surprise, now LFD seems easy to you.

So much this.

There are so many people that get upset when they're not #1 on dps. Well you know what sonny? You may not be number one on DPS but your tanks and healers love you because you're not standing in the exploding fire jerking off to your DPS numbers. It's amazing just who is left alive at the very end because they usually mitigate so much of the avoidable damage that they don't die until the boss is like "okay your raid is dead, now to kill you."

So much this.
    "Uhh Jyodi your DPS is about 650 points below what it should be on a Patchwerk fight according to this spreadsheet I have."
    "Well, this is Lich King, though. And I'm switching to adds when you need me to. And I went Arcane to slow the Valks more effectively. And I only get hit with Defile when someone else chains it far enough that I can't escape. And I blink before being thrown off the edge when the Valks grab me and we mysteriously can't DPS it in time with me gone."
    "Yes but according to this chart, your DPS is about one spell off for DPS so you need to step it up."

What the fuck

This didn't really happen, did it?

Almost fucking verbatim.
    It kind of annoyed me.
    I was getting reprimanded for not standing still and DPSing my heart out on a fight that requires movement and fine execution?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Buddies wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Tylanthus wrote: »
    I think people underestimate how much one person can influence a group's success.

Someone doing ~10k dps, not getting hit by boss abilities, and interrupting/dispelling properly can carry a group. Even moreso if they have good people skills and can get the rest of the group to follow suite by politely giving pointers along the way. If you're that person... surprise, now LFD seems easy to you.

So much this.

There are so many people that get upset when they're not #1 on dps. Well you know what sonny? You may not be number one on DPS but your tanks and healers love you because you're not standing in the exploding fire jerking off to your DPS numbers. It's amazing just who is left alive at the very end because they usually mitigate so much of the avoidable damage that they don't die until the boss is like "okay your raid is dead, now to kill you."

So much this.
    "Uhh Jyodi your DPS is about 650 points below what it should be on a Patchwerk fight according to this spreadsheet I have."
    "Well, this is Lich King, though. And I'm switching to adds when you need me to. And I went Arcane to slow the Valks more effectively. And I only get hit with Defile when someone else chains it far enough that I can't escape. And I blink before being thrown off the edge when the Valks grab me and we mysteriously can't DPS it in time with me gone."
    "Yes but according to this chart, your DPS is about one spell off for DPS so you need to step it up."

What the fuck

This didn't really happen, did it?

It's happened to me as a Warlock.

Looks like my thread title for the mage thread (which is a quote from TMM) was right! :wink:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Generally the people who are #1 are going to easily compensate for anyone who is still doing a decent job dpsing. Unless it's bleeding edge content that is also a dps race, competency beats out raw numbers.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Generally the people who are #1 are going to easily compensate for anyone who is still doing a decent job dpsing. Unless it's bleeding edge content that is also a dps race, competency beats out raw numbers.

Most everyone I know either through this forum or personally is of this understanding. Unfortunately, the random folks throughout the internet scream bloody murder over numbers. I can already hear my flailing attempt at explaining now.

"What matters - success, or meeting arbitrary numbers?"
    "NUMBERS MEAN SUCCESS OR IN UR CASE SUX-CESS LOOOOOOOOOOOL"

Henroid on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ive noticed the more I tank Heroics in Cata the more of an asshat I become. With WOLK I didnt care much because it was just an AOE fest and quick even with a tard group. Now if I notice people not doing thier job I put up the vote to put them back in queue. Unless I am with a group of tards from the same guild. Then I just re insta queue.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I joined this guild I came to the conclusion that, and a conclusion I believe the RL came to a long time ago, that numbers don't mean anything. He never talks about DPS or numbers or anything, and only complains when we wipe or a bunch of people are fucking up on execution.

He's also understanding that I died really early to atramedes cause I never saw the fight before and didn't know what to look for those gay ass sound shit that's impossible to see.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Posting recount charts is the first sign of a mouthbreather.

Echo on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Recount has monitors "activity," which has combined things like DPS/healing, CC and interrupts all into one.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only times I ever asked for numbers were after I got several pieces of new gear, and wanted to see how much of a difference they made.

Or when the group blew up a boss super fast.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    When I joined this guild I came to the conclusion that, and a conclusion I believe the RL came to a long time ago, that numbers don't mean anything. He never talks about DPS or numbers or anything, and only complains when we wipe or a bunch of people are fucking up on execution.

He's also understanding that I died really early to atramedes cause I never saw the fight before and didn't know what to look for those gay ass sound shit that's impossible to see.

DPS meters are a plague upon this game, because people use it as an excuse to not do things correctly.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is why I support dungeons being harder.

Weed out people who refuse to work with the group. And I think Blizzard needs to rethink the kick-timer because with pulls being the way they are, you can realize real quick if someone needs to go. Especially those assholes who think it's all a joke.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ironzerg wrote: »

DPS meters are a plague upon this game, because people use it as an excuse to not do things correctly.

Bullshit. DPS meters are how dps know they are doing their job (along with not being a corpse on the ground because you did a dumb). Recount in particular also does nice things like show you what happened when you died, who is interrupting, and various other cool stuff that will help you out. It is not the mods fault that people are god damn stupid about it. At least it isn't gearscore where both stupid assholes are misusing it and it doesn't provide any useful feedback.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like to post my healing meters in 5 mans and call everyone else noobs, especially if there is a DPS who constantly posts meters.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just did the 5 Plate Deadmines clear.

Absolutely no CC.

Lowest DPS was 10k.

Nothing that could be interrupted was ever cast.

Stuns everywhere.

Dungeon was STEAMROLLED.

Walt on
  • Options
    TylanthusTylanthus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No speed achievement... not steamrolled.

Tylanthus on
  • Options
    XynnXynn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shit, this reminds me of my guild. Our raid make up is kinda odd, and our AoE is a bit weak because of it. We have 2 mages, me and another one. We were failing at the parasite dance because our AoE damage was weak, so we did a different strategy. I was asked to go into Frost spec so I could Blizzard/Freeze kite the parasites while everyone else AoE'd/whatever'd them down. What spec was the other mage you ask?....Why Arcane! Because it does SO much DPS!

I asked her if she had another spec and she said Fire, but that she didnt like the spec. I told her, in a nice way, that she should read up on it. The next night our Raid Leader asked her to go Fire to AoE better. She did for about 2 attempts before switching back to Arcane. I know the only reason we downed Magmaw was because we had a warlock with his Felguard helping with the parasites, because she was fucking worthless in Arcane...at least when we needed AoEs.

Xynn on
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xynn wrote: »
    Shit, this reminds me of my guild. Our raid make up is kinda odd, and our AoE is a bit weak because of it. We have 2 mages, me and another one. We were failing at the parasite dance because our AoE damage was weak, so we did a different strategy. I was asked to go into Frost spec so I could Blizzard/Freeze kite the parasites while everyone else AoE'd/whatever'd them down. What spec was the other mage you ask?....Why Arcane! Because it does SO much DPS!

I asked her if she had another spec and she said Fire, but that she didnt like the spec. I told her, in a nice way, that she should read up on it. The next night our Raid Leader asked her to go Fire to AoE better. She did for about 2 attempts before switching back to Arcane. I know the only reason we downed Magmaw was because we had a warlock with his Felguard helping with the parasites, because she was fucking worthless in Arcane...at least when we needed AoEs.

Frost could have soloed them?

sim on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I loooooove getting some weird as shit d/c mid boss fights.

I don't know whats up but it lags like crazy ass and I end up getting d/c'd...

Oghulk on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My favorite is the guild runs where you're the odd man out. Hey rogue why is your DPS so low? Oh I dunno, maybe because I have to run out to fucking bandage or wait for recup to heal me up since your shitty healer isn't tossing so much as a HoT my way on this AoE damage boss fight. Or maybe it's because I'm the only person running out of bad shit on the floor. Perhaps it's because I, a class designed for high damage on a single target, who's abilities all revolve around combo points built up on a single target, haven't been able to target the boss because I'm the only person killing the adds, despite your two DPS being a mage and a lock. I *suppose* those things *could* be a factor as to why my DPS is so bad.

Lol, whatever rogue ur dps sucks and that's why we keep wiping.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there someplace that ranks the most commonly achieved to least commonly achieved titles? I mean, you'd assume Scarab Lord is rarest, but where on the ranking list would Insane be? Or Bloodsail Admiral? Or Chef? Jenkins?

And not which title someone is currently using at a given moment, but more like what percentage of the playerbase has gotten the achievement associated with each title. Is there some census page that's done that scan?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can pull up information that's about 2 months old and specific to my old server if you like

I'd be surprised if someone hadn't done that across all servers, but I haven't seen anyone actually do it.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've decided something, I'd rather see HoO in a pug than BRC.

Last night I got BRC on my mage where we got up to Corla before people dropped because they were failing. I saw 10 "Somebody has declined the dungeon invite" messages before giving up.

Tonight I get it again on my mage again where it's already in progress. I pop in during a wipe on Corla (go go invis!). When the group gets back we manage to get her down (barely). The tank then manages to wipe the group on the next trash pack by trying to sneak by (unsuccessfully of course), and being too squishy to tank all of them. He states he's too tired and drops.

Tank #2 pops in about 10 minutes later, and takes us all the way up to two attempts on Steelbender. She drops when the DPS DK starts haranguing her since she hadn't done the fight before and was screwing up the timing on the fire debuffs (well, that and failing at controlling the adds that spawned when his debuff fell off).

Tank #3 is there for one attempt on Steelbender before falling victim to the same problems and drops with the DPS DK whining about bad tanks. Rather than re-queue everybody else gives up at that point as well.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ehh wrong thread

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm finding raiding to be quite fun this time around. This is the one time I don't want the patch to come out and make shit too easier via gear inflation.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Looking up all the level 85 characters named Farnsworth on the Armory, most of them have Assistant Professor or Associate Professor, but not one of them has yet acquired full Professor. I was mostly wondering just how rare the full title is at this point.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh, sadly I can't help with anything that new :(

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    XynnXynn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Looking up all the level 85 characters named Farnsworth on the Armory, most of them have Assistant Professor or Associate Professor, but not one of them has yet acquired full Professor. I was mostly wondering just how rare the full title is at this point.

Its 20 rare artifacts. I just counted the list of artifacts and there is 26 rare ones total. Id assume that it wouldnt be too bad except that 6 of them are Tol'vir, and we all know how annoying it is to get Tol'vir sites

Xynn on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have 19 rare artifacts and would have 20 if I had been doing arch for the last week but I've been busy irl and arch falls to the side since heroic runs and dailies are more important.

I know there's WoW achievement sites out there but I don't know if any of them scan the entire armory and keep track of achievements earned percent across the userbase.

Edit: http://www.wow-achievements.com has a percent of players that have an achievement but it's based on their armory scans which are in the best case weeks out of date so it's not accurate to right now in any way. They haven't even updated their menu dropdown for Cata so you can't even check the Arch achieves anyway.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm skipping the heroic runs and dailies for now due to using archaeology for leveling up. I've gone from 68 to 80 primarily off it, and from 76 to 80 exclusively off of it. The only major quest XP I got in that run was running Nexus, UK, and OK a couple times, and the Ampitheatre of Anguish chain. Aside from that, dig dig dig level dig dig dig level.

Which brought quite a shock when I hit 80 and decided to upgrade out of heirloom gear. I went to the AH, picked up the cheapest greens and my power level suddenly tripled. But so far I'm at 9 rares (got the troll sword, both fossils, all dwarf items but the staff, and one each from Night Elf, Orc and Draenei) and looking to do the majority, or possibly entirety, of the postgraduate Professor grind while still gaining XP off of it.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Could you level up via archaeology without going to Outland or Northrend?

815165 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sure. All those dig sites I was doing from 70-80 were in Eastern Kingdoms.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    .... (got the troll sword...

I hate you :(

Arrath on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ironzerg wrote: »

If someone had posted metres in the BRC I was in last night, I would have appeared dreadful. I healed up until the 2nd boss, but because the whole group was melee, I got asked to go elemental, the tank to go holy and the warrior to go prot, so that we'd have some range.

On pulls, I was hex'ing and binding elemental, and then helping the tank pick up the mobs by windshearing any caster that stopped coming towards him on the pull.

And then I was kiting the 3 adds on the last boss.

Plus there's the fact I'm probably dreadful dps'ing as an elemental shaman because it always takes me a while to get into the groove of the dps cycle. Thankfully I nearly make that up in other aspects.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    but outland is cool!

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    but outland is cool!

Yeah, that crisp Northrend breeze you feel as you haul ass out of Outland is certainly refreshing!

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    northrend is okay, but it's no outland

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So...what's the fastest way to get out of Outland?

- LFD?
    - Alterac Valley?
    - Archeology?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    queue for both while you fly around surveying?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is leveling through archaeology actually faster than quest grinding?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
This discussion has been closed.