As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 3 Coming in November

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They could make some serious bank off of selling Spec Ops missions for 1600 MSP a set.
    Hibernus wrote: »
    ITT: people complain about a series they didn't actually play.

I pretty much disregard any post made by someone I don't recognize from the CoD thread.

Anyways, I don't give a shit about the SP. It's fun for six hours, and that's it. If they put more time into the single player than they do the multiplayer, they've made a huge mistake. I'd almost rather them sell the game with no SP and all the development time put into making the MP even more robust and at the very least balanced.

Also, people complaining about the story in a Call of Duty game. :lol:

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did enjoy the MW2 campaign. It was over the top and I had fun which is what I play games for anyway.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did enjoy the MW2 campaign. It was over the top and I had fun which is what I play games for anyway.

Pretty much. Don't think too hard (or at all when it comes to this series), alright guys?

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Pretty much. Don't think too hard (or at all when it comes to this series), alright guys?

Sure, you can switch your brain off and try to ignore the story, and you'll probably have a pretty fun time with it. Thing is, it doesn't have to be that way. MW1 had a reasonably compelling plot and was still able to pull off a fun SP experience overall. Even Black Ops managed a more plausible narrative (though I'd say not quite as good as the first MW) than MW2 did. Some people like huge Michael Baysplosions, some people like a decently interesting story to tie together their SP. A game can have both, and other CoD's have pulled it off in the past.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pfft, what kind of loser likes Call of Duty anyway?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I do enjoy good plot lines but I'm not that worried if a game that I bought mainly for the multiplayer doesn't have that great a story.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In all seriousness, I didn't care much for MW2's story (while I quite enjoyed BLOPS in that regard) but I still care what happens to Soap and Price. Wasn't this rumoured to be a prequel though?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I doubt it would be a prequel after the huge cliffhanger of MW2.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's what I'm hoping, the rumours are probably in relation to some good ol' flashbacks.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    kingkelpkingkelp Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well. The plot was pretty terrible, but I found the set pieces and action sequences were super fun and some of the best in any FPS.

kingkelp on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I doubt it would be a prequel after the huge cliffhanger of MW2.

If they release it as a prequel it gives them an excuse for the after-MW2 MW4.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This thread brings the lols.

Also single-player story in Call of Duty.. what?

I still haven't finished the BlOps story, but I'm 7th prestige!

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hate MW and I hate Activision enough I haven't bought a game from them as long as I can remember, but if they create a plot so retarded that it actually works with the plot from MW2, I'll probably be forced to buy it just to see the train as it is in the process of wrecking.

Basically a game so bad it must be good.

Astale on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hibernus wrote: »
    ITT: people complain about a series they didn't actually play.

I pretty much disregard any post made by someone I don't recognize from the CoD thread.

Yep, that's it. Close up shop guys, this here thread is for the COD fans only.

(If you dig in deep enough, you can maybe find a thread in 07 were I busted some nuts praising COD4. Does that count or does my membership lapse? Maybe I need fill out a renewal form? Ah, fuggitaboutit. Too much work and I'm lazy.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You care too much about my opinion.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-EEPeyKd8

I was yelling at the screen

How can anyone play this bit and not love it

Because it came out of nowhere and didn't make any fucking sense. I had to go to the call of duty wiki to understand why Shepard did what he did.

From a gameplay point of view though, MW2 was excellent and i'll fight anyone who says different.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Karl wrote: »

Because it came out of nowhere and didn't make any fucking sense. I had to go to the call of duty wiki to understand why Shepard did what he did.

From a gameplay point of view though, MW2 was excellent and i'll fight anyone who says different.

Let us engage in combat. Define what parts of the gameplay were excellent.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mercy, I'm prestige 4 now and I've only just finished the fourth mission or so. Maybe I'll do a level every prestige...
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Dram wrote: »

The plot for MW1 was fine. MW2......yeah what the fuck i dunno.
    Shepard engineered the whole thing to provoke Russia to invade so he could counter-invade Russia. Well thats what i got. Someone was smoking crack when writing that plot.

I always thought that was the case too. but every synopsis I've read has specifically stated;
    Shepard engineered the conflict to make himself a war hero

...which makes even LESS sense.

Yeah.
    Everyone knows Shepard is a Sole Survivor.

Well played, good sir. Well played.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Let us engage in combat. Define what parts of the gameplay were excellent.

This is from a SP point of view (i barely play multiplayer).

Quite simply, the gameplay was tense yet fun. Especially my veteran run. I never felt that the AI was being cheap and when i died it was usually my own fault. Especially with grenades.

Now there's a lot of criticism about the friendly AI but i thought they were good too. Not amazing but they were never not helpful to some degree, Hell they even saved my arse on a few occasions too.

And the whole "your team mates never push forward" argument is stupid because if they did push forward then there would be nothing for you to do. You could just sit back and let them wear the opposition down. My only criticism is the never ending waves of bad guys. That did get annoying after awhile.

Feel free to rip MP apart because i don't play that.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MP was addicting and rewarding but also broken, so you missed a lot of masochism.

Never bothered to Veteran the SP in any CoD game, since I play for the story and don't really mind the cheevos.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I play Infinity Ward CoD games for the single player and play multiplayer just cause its there.

I enjoy the set pieces and the multiple viewpoint of a large war. The CoD1 demo convinced me when you are walking through a field at night with your squad when suddenly you get opened up on by MG42s and mortars. You hit the deck and crawl your way to the nests hoping no to be torn apart. In the sky is AA fire going off and men parachuting in. It was intense and I saved as much cash as quick as I could so I could run out and buy it.

Since then I have bought all the IW CoD games and have had great fun. Save for a few missions, you always feel you are in an over the top battle and that is exciting. I have played through all of them multiple times from start to finish. Multiplayer is for when I don't feel like doing missions and shoot some online guys and then hate everything.

BLOPS was my first non-IW CoD game and I hated it all the way through. I rather take pothead references then in your face gruesome torture and murder.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People seem to forget that this is alternating Studios, so this game has been in development for 2 years, it's not like they knocked this up right after BLACK OPS. Say what you want about MW2's story-line (it was awful) I think the Gulag mission in MW2 is one of the best single player FPS levels i have ever played, and it may even be my favorite, the whole helicopter ride into the prison, landing on the basketball court, making your way inside, all without load times, would have been unthinkable like a year ago. It blew me away, I love it, especially with a giant tv and surround sound.

MW2's multiplayer? Not so much, I love team work and working together to achieve a goal, that's why my fav part of MW2 was spec ops and why L4D2 and HALO remain my favorite online experiences.

speaking of which, Valve, announce L4D3 already.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the Zapella/West lawsuit prevents Activision from releasing any future based shooters, i.e anything not set in the present day or past. I thought the rumor was Re-spawn studios (Zapella/West's new one) is working on a Future based FPS. Which is why Black Ops was the way it was, I think that would make the idea of a MW3 being a prequel more likely.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I loved this as well. I dont care what happens in MW3 just as long as Price and Soap are back. :)

Having survived the most insurmountable bullshit ever in the history of the human race, Price and Soap retire to lowly beat cop positions in a quiet town where they are succinctly driven back into action once again when Russian para-militarists decide to invade the town's only shopping mall for some reason that'll get hand-waved away during the shooty moments.

Price and Soap: Buddy Cops... 11/11/11, pre-order now!

Admit it, this would be the greatest premise for a COD game ever.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Having survived the most insurmountable bullshit ever in the history of the human race, Price and Soap retire to lowly beat cop positions in a quiet town where they are succinctly driven back into action once again when Russian para-militarists decide to invade the town's only shopping mall for some reason that'll get hand-waved away during the shooty moments.

Price and Soap: Buddy Cops

I would watch that movie

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    also, think of it this way: If MW3 is a prequel then you'll be able to see more of Ghost.

but the thing that worries me is that between MW2, BLOPS, and the WW2 iterations is that they've really run out of new and interesting weapons/gadgets to use. A future game would allow for simply making stuff up and/or developing on current weapons technology. Sidenote: does Future Weapons even air new episodes anymore? How is the hollow shell of IW supposed to come up with anything new without that glorious bald-guy whispering them about all the new guns that combine the versatility of the M16 with the stopping power of a .50 sniper rifle?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BLOPS was my first non-IW CoD game and I hated it all the way through. I rather take pothead references then in your face gruesome torture and murder.

I don't understand, you were OK with murdering hundreds of civilians in MW2, but not torturing a known war criminal?

If they put dedicated servers in for the next COD, I think it would fix most complaints about the game. EA did it, why can't you Activision?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ganluan wrote: »

I don't understand, you were OK with murdering hundreds of civilians in MW2, but not torturing a known war criminal?

If they put dedicated servers in for the next COD, I think it would fix most complaints about the game. EA did it, why can't you Activision?

Well the first time I played that mission I only fired into the air or killed the civilians who needed a quick death. I went in with the mindset that I was undercover with monsters to stop them but I wasn't going to become one.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Holy crap. You get to torture someone in black ops?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    press left trigger to put glass in mouth

press right trigger to punch

hurhur

Hibernus on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    also, think of it this way: If MW3 is a prequel then you'll be able to see more of Ghost.

People thought Ghost was worth keeping around?

Mechanical on
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

but the thing that worries me is that between MW2, BLOPS, and the WW2 iterations is that they've really run out of new and interesting weapons/gadgets to use. A future game would allow for simply making stuff up and/or developing on current weapons technology. Sidenote: does Future Weapons even air new episodes anymore? How is the hollow shell of IW supposed to come up with anything new without that glorious bald-guy whispering them about all the new guns that combine the versatility of the M16 with the stopping power of a .50 sniper rifle?

yeah unfortunately FutureWeapons was cancelled. not sure where IW/Sledgehammer/Raven will get their inspiration for the American weaponry now, hopefully it won't turn out as retarded as the Russian weapon selection in MW2.

also if there isn't an A-10 killstreak reward I will probably not buy the game just for that reason

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »

Yes, kind of.
    There's a scene where you need to get information out of a hostile and resistant contact. This is a black operation. You put shards of broken glass in his mouth, then punch him in the face. It doesn't last long, but is justifiably disturbing... which is the point. Black ops in and of themselves are morally questionable affairs, and this just does a fairly good job of showing it that much more.

But also the reverse:
    The plotline is dictated by you as a soldier in an interrogation chair, as the one being interrogated. All of the missions that I've seen so far are you trying to relate your (very questionable) witness to events you may or may not have taken part in. You are most decidedly being interrogated in a "black site" sense, complete with all the monitors for vitals and numerous references to having been drugged by those who have you.

However, given the time this is set in and the nature of the individuals in question, it's appropriate for the venue/story.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

People thought Ghost was worth keeping around?

apparently, the rumor mill is rife with whispers that MW3 is going to be a prequel to CoD4 heavily featuring Ghost, Soap, and Price.

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »

I think people make a bigger deal about this then is necessary. Gruesome? Not really... put some glass in a guy's mouth and punch him. I see it as cheesy macho stuff... I mean, we've all done way worse stuff in video games. "No Russian" was a bigger deal IMO, I've only ever been able to play that level twice.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, I hope MW3 has a more substantial campaign. Longer than average, because I'm kind of getting over the BS that is the MP modes...

Make the campaign twice as long, 100 times more coherent, and add some crazy unique stuff in every mission. I want to feel like I did the first time I played the AC-130 mission in CoD4 on every mission. You know, really Michael Bay that shit up.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did really like Spec Ops, it was a fun challenge to complete them all on Veteran. I hope they keep those in some fashion at least, maybe scaling in difficulty so even if you can do them with more people it's still possible with 2 people and good communication.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I think people make a bigger deal about this then is necessary. Gruesome? Not really... put some glass in a guy's mouth and punch him.

Consider more carefully just what you have said here. Putting glass in a an adult man's mouth (albeit a virtual person) and punching him in the face is NOT a gruesome thing to do to someone?

That's torture, man. It's straight up sadistic.
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I see it as cheesy macho stuff... I mean, we've all done way worse stuff in video games. "No Russian" was a bigger deal IMO, I've only ever been able to play that level twice.

Was it the screaming people? Maybe when they were crying? Trying hard to squirm away after being shot? What got through to you, that made it so wrong? Was it the scope, one vs many affected?

Edit: Note that fact that I still enjoyed the storyline of both games, or at least the setpieces.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is from a SP point of view (i barely play multiplayer).

Quite simply, the gameplay was tense yet fun. Especially my veteran run. I never felt that the AI was being cheap and when i died it was usually my own fault. Especially with grenades.

Now there's a lot of criticism about the friendly AI but i thought they were good too. Not amazing but they were never not helpful to some degree, Hell they even saved my arse on a few occasions too.

And the whole "your team mates never push forward" argument is stupid because if they did push forward then there would be nothing for you to do. You could just sit back and let them wear the opposition down. My only criticism is the never ending waves of bad guys. That did get annoying after awhile.

Feel free to rip MP apart because i don't play that.

Good thing you "only criticism" wasn't in MW2 then, right?

Seriously. People need to quit saying this as this was a problem in CoD4, not MW2.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think that since after punching the guy with glass in his mouth he quickly turns around and joins you in a tactical escape, all the while talking perfectly normally, as if nothing happened to his mouth, negates the "shock" of the torture. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as "No Russian." Not even close.

Fawst on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I shot all my tubes at the people in No Russian, and it pretty much screwed my for the riot shield cops under the planes at the later parts of the level.

:(

People actually think No Russian was bad? It's like, did you never once play a GTA game?

OH NOES, SOME CIVILIAN PIXELS DIED.

Burtletoy on