ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    I started a new job in January.

I work from home, make my own hours, and pretty much do what I want. I have full control over my project and my only coworker is my boss.

After 26 days: its been pretty fucking amazing.

Share your secret?

Have very little social life for basically six years straight.

I sorta meant what's the secret sauce? Free lance graphic design? In-home prostitution?

In-home prostitution. And computer programming.

Oh, well. Try not to suck any dick on your way across the motherboard. I didn't realize that programmers worked from home. I know web... designer.... guys often work from home.

Congrats! Get a cat so you don't go nuts on your own.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Nah man if you are sleepy, sleep. Zs are more important than PMs.

nah i just woke up from like a half nap it's all good in this hood

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was actually planning on getting a cat sometime around the next two weeks.

It's rarer for programmers to work from home than graphic designers and other creative types only because of high corporate demand for programmers... but Dr. Jasconius runs a rather... specialized... practice.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was actually planning on getting a cat sometime around the next two weeks.

It's rarer for programmers to work from home than graphic designers and other creative types only because of high corporate demand for programmers... but Dr. Jasconius runs a rather... specialized... practice.

I seeth jealousy. Brewing tea in places that aren't your own home is uncomfortable at best. How I'd love to have my favorite teapot RIGHT THERE IN THE NEXT ROOM while waiting for shit to render.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I am drinking tea right now, but I microwaved it.

I guess I should buy a tea pot.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I am drinking tea right now, but I microwaved it.

I guess I should buy a tea pot.

You know what, a lot of fucking snobs would cringe at that statement.

But I've done many many a taste test with boiled/vs microwaved water.

It's all fucking hot water.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    But if you get a teapot, you can brew loose-leaf. Which I have to admit, is far superior in flavor.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    or you could be a man and drink coffee.

tea sucks

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I like vanilla cappuccinos or cuban espresso. But no good cuban espresso within walking distance and I don't think I need to develop a 4 dollar a day coffee habit.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    or you could be a man and drink coffee.

tea sucks

I love coffee. It doesn't love my gallbladder. Once I have health insurance and get that fucker cut out, then it will be all coffee, all the time.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    WHO HAS TWO THUMBS, ONE EYE, AND JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW WITH CARTOON NETWORK?
    Photoon2011-01-25at2139.jpg

and that kids... is called irony.

Yay!

53824771893025300da2786.jpg

Are they in Atlanta?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Where is this pirate image of Stale?

Photoon2011-01-25at2139.jpgspongebobpiratepants838.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I call shenanigans! That patch switched eyes from the MMS I got from him.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    macbook photobooth mirrors the image

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lies! This man can see! This man can walk!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I... I can see. in my left eye. and I can walk... mostly. sorta. just not fast.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have applied for ~70 jobs over the past two weeks through USA Jobs. If the federal government doesn't give me a job I'm going to spit.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I never once heard anything back from USAJOBS, and I must have applied to around 45 or 50

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    WHERE ARE THE JOBS, MR. PRESIDENT!?

Butters on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    from what i've heard, you need to find a more direct route than usajobs, as those get piled up and take forever if not infinity to be processed.

Langly on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh, i've found you jobs thread

usajobs i've never gotten a response from, it only worked when i had some other application / talked to a person in an interview, and then they had me go through usa jobs and then they were like, yeah you gotta answer the questions a right way or we can't hire you so they gave hints as to how to fill it out

but then i didn't follow through with that because i got another job first

but the reason i came here today is we just got this e-mail:
    Hello Friends -

Did your dog visit the 7th floor? That is very nice, but in the future could you please make sure to clean up after her/him?!

Thanks so much

[name of the admin assistant on our floor]

cuz apparently she found dog poop

and coincidentally, someone else was like whaaat we found a cup and a half of pee in this conference room the other day

whaaaaaaaaaaat is going ONNNNNNN

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Since nowhere will hire me I'm about to apply to Office Depot.

Anybody know what it's like there? Seems boringly slow

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

usajobs i've never gotten a response from, it only worked when i had some other application / talked to a person in an interview, and then they had me go through usa jobs and then they were like, yeah you gotta answer the questions a right way or we can't hire you so they gave hints as to how to fill it out

Hello Friends -

Did your dog visit the 7th floor? That is very nice, but in the future could you please make sure to clean up after her/him?!

Thanks so much

and coincidentally, someone else was like whaaat we found a cup and a half of pee in this conference room the other day

since you found a cup of pee...

maybe it wasnt DOG poop?

or youre company is being cursed by a voodoo witch doctor

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So a usajob is a kind of sex act, right?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    from what i've heard, you need to find a more direct route than usajobs, as those get piled up and take forever if not infinity to be processed.

I've noticed it seems to be a very "I know a guy" situation

Usagi on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you want a government job, it may be better to check the department website of the place you wanna try out, if they have their own internal employment page. Or a lot of government places have a presence in job fairs. But it is definitely better to know someone who can pass your resume off to somone high up directly. But once you get on that government teat, it is good times

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    government job?

no thanks

i want to keep a clear consious and not feel like im stealing from tax payers while i nap in the shitter

just kidding, thats totally what i want to do

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was a civl servant once. They renewed my contract after the first year but they wanted me to move into a call centre so I ran away

Even in my current position, I stand by that decision!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    lostwords wrote: »
    If you want a government job, it may be better to check the department website of the place you wanna try out, if they have their own internal employment page.

Yeah I would think any government job worthwhile is going to have several places to look for candidates before a universal catch-all site.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Hello Friends -

Thanks so much

since you found a cup of pee...

maybe it wasnt DOG poop?

or youre company is being cursed by a voodoo witch doctor

i heard the term poo bomber being tossed around

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this got posted in a space group i follow. thought maybe someone might be interested. i have no referral, of course.

Programmer - Washington DC area

Responsibilities:
    Sigma Space Corporation seeks an experienced Programmer to provide website support and development and scientific data management. The position will be located at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt, MD. The successful candidate will:
    • Support the maintenance and update of North American Carbon Program, and the Carbon Cycle and Ecosystems Focus Area, and related websites.
    • Develop software for processing and manipulation of data and metadata for data management.
    • Generate result summaries, graphics, and reports.

Requirements:
    • B.S. in Computer Science, an Earth Science, or Physics.
    • Minimum of 3 years of experience in a combination of the items listed below.
    • Interest and enthusiasm for programming in a team environment.
    • Good communication skills in order to be able to clearly and concisely describe results and communicate effectively.
    • WWW Development experience including:
    • Use of the Perl programming language to interact with relational databases, specifically using the DBI module to interact with MySQL.
    • A sound understanding of SQL, HTML, Javascript, KML, and secure web application development.
    • Developing software under variants of UNIX.
    • Source code control, specifically Subversion.

Desirables:
    • Scientific knowledge in some domain of carbon cycle science.
    • MySQL database administration.
    • Scientific Data Management experience.
    • Use of C++, Perl, PHP, Python, or Java.
    • Use of KML to display geospatial data in Google Earth and Map.
    • Manipulation of data in file formats such as netCDF.
    • Scientific "use" metadata (e.g. CF-Metadata Conventions) and"discovery" metadata standards (e.g. Mercury, FGDC).
    • Familiarity with OPeNDAP, THREDDS, and RAMADDA.

John Przybylek on LinkedIn.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    we dont get sick days at work

so despite almost puking in the shower I am going to work

Kochikens on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shampoo is not a beverage, Kochi

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, day one of my little "overcoming adult adhd" plan is working pretty well. I've got my whole day scheduled out and I've stuck to it for the most part. Chopin on my ipod has helped keep distractions down and Manic Time (a program that tracks your computer use and tells you how much time you are spending in different programs during the day) is showing that I'm keeping on track and not getting distracted by posting here.

Last night, I sat down to get some reading done and was having a lot of trouble locking in on the book I was reading, but after putting some music on so I couldn't hear the TV in the other room and moving to my bedroom instead of sitting in front of the computer, it got better. Then I went to bed about two hours earlier than I usually do (go figure, people with less sleep have more trouble focusing) and ended up sleeping really poorly. First off, I woke up about five times before my alarm went off and then was really sluggish when I finally did wake up. I'm hoping that my body adjusts to actually getting a good night's sleep pretty soon, but today I'm just exhausted at work and that's probably not helping things.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So, day one of my little "overcoming adult adhd" plan is working pretty well. I've got my whole day scheduled out and I've stuck to it for the most part. Chopin on my ipod has helped keep distractions down and Manic Time (a program that tracks your computer use and tells you how much time you are spending in different programs during the day) is showing that I'm keeping on track and not getting distracted by posting here.

Last night, I sat down to get some reading done and was having a lot of trouble locking in on the book I was reading, but after putting some music on so I couldn't hear the TV in the other room and moving to my bedroom instead of sitting in front of the computer, it got better. Then I went to bed about two hours earlier than I usually do (go figure, people with less sleep have more trouble focusing) and ended up sleeping really poorly. First off, I woke up about five times before my alarm went off and then was really sluggish when I finally did wake up. I'm hoping that my body adjusts to actually getting a good night's sleep pretty soon, but today I'm just exhausted at work and that's probably not helping things.

Yeah getting used to a normal bedtime takes some getting used to but it gets better. I started going to bed at least an hour earlier these days and though it's still rough getting up (I am not a morning person) I do feel better when I do and I am sleeping through the night most of the time now.

Butters on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am going to be a good boy and get up at 5 every other day and go to the gym and do exercise and stop being fat.

I did one day last week and then skipped a day. I also skipped Monday this week and went today.

I need to go Friday, and then MWF next week. And then keep doing that 50 times until it is next year and I weigh 50 pounds less and bear a striking resemblence to Apollo.

This belongs here because the gym is actually at my place of work.

sarukun on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    lostwords wrote: »
    If you want a government job, it may be better to check the department website of the place you wanna try out, if they have their own internal employment page. Or a lot of government places have a presence in job fairs. But it is definitely better to know someone who can pass your resume off to somone high up directly. But once you get on that government teat, it is good times

I did actually talk to the Forest Service boss who referred me to an external site they use. He's divorced from the whole process though until that site sends him the most qualified candidates. Having a connection there will hopefully get me a job if I can get through the initial gauntlet.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only progress I made through USA Jobs was a result of a job fair. I applied to the listing like normal but they pulled my app out because they scheduled and interview with me at the job fair. I still hate myself for turning that down to do grad school.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

A book called "None Of Us Is As Good As All Of Us" in China. What a fucking surprise.

NotASenator on
This discussion has been closed.