As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Beware the Ides of March!

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's on! If you win I will send you a case of the finest cake frosting duncan heinz makes, because I am a sore loser.

Actually, I'll take motivation wherever I can get it, so a bet for whatever is fine with me. If I'm 166 and sending you some $20 thing from Amazon I'm not going to be very sad.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Quick-Single-Column-Trophy/dp/B0002EGTUY/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1296082209&sr=8-27

Loser sends winner trophy with engraving of choice. Proof of weight will be a picture with your feet and a 167 or my feet with 165 on a scale (since you weigh 2 more lbs than me as of today). How's that?

dzenith on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DEAL. I'll take 165 though, no need to adjust it. This is going to be fun :) Well, not really, but it's a good way to trick my brain into thinking it is.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    geckahn wrote: »
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    ;-)
    dzenith wrote: »
    I started dieting at the beginning of the month and have gone from 215lbs to 200lbs on a low carb diet. My wife has also dropped 7 lbs by eating my dinners.

For dinner I've mainly been grilling marinaded meats (steak, pork loin, tilapia, salmon) and eating a healthy portion of raw vegetables with ranch or cheese sauce. I also do stir fry one night and chicken-bacon ranch salads another. Lunch is wraps on low-carb tortillas with yogurt and sugar-free jello. Breakfast is several stalks of cut up celery with peanut butter on them. Snacks consist of cheese sticks and pickles.

There are a lot of great meat marinades that can be bought in the packages and you just add water, oil, and vinegar. The montreal steak sauce one is awesome for steaks and pork loin. Squeezing some fresh lemon and adding garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper is a great marinade for fish.

I am currently working full time and taking classes at night, so I don't have much time to cook on the weekdays. This is the main reason I put on weight in the first place - way too much fast food because I have no time to cook. I remedy this by doing a lot of prep work after I grocery shop on Saturday. I cut up all of the veggies and put them in tubaware and cube up all of the chicken breasts and freeze them. By doing this, I don't have any meals that take over 20 mins to cook, and that accounts for the time it takes for the grill to preheat as well.

My goal is to get down to 165 by the time of my sister's wedding in September. I want to show up looking like the skinny guy my family remembers.

So thanks for this thread to help with the motivation!

Your goals are so close to mine it's crazy. I was 210 at the beginning of the month and I was 202 this morning. My goal is 160. My diet is pretty much the opposite, but that's okay.

Up for some friendly competition? :wink:

I wouldn't put too much money on it if he's low carb and you're not =)

Any chance that for one post you could not be a total dick?

A duck! on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    retrovm wrote: »
    i had a physical yesterday, and my weight has dropped about 35lbs from this time last year according to the doctor's scale. yeah! going in for bloodwork tomorrow, since last time i had my cholesterol checked was 2007 and my LDL was 265 thanks to shit genetics from my mom's side.. ugh. i've been over 200 or so since i was 6 years old. my HDL is at 85 which is apparently good.
    thankfully my blood pressure has always been low, 110/65 or so consistently. thanks, dad's side of the family!

If you're getting your cholesterol checked, make sure you get your LDL density pattern checked. It's more important than really any of the other numbers, since LDL can be both completely harmless (if it's large buoyant, or Pattern A) or a heart attack waiting to happen (if it's small dense, or Pattern B). Most Americans are Pattern B or A/B (which is like half and half), since high carb and sugar intake corresponds with pattern B, and lower carb intake corresponds with pattern A.

The small dense LDL is the type that gets stuck on the side of vessels and then gets turned into oxidized LDL (oxLDL) which is what actually directly contributes to heart disease.

oh hey, good to know! i've been on a relatively low carb (well, "good" carbs that is-- complex, whole grains, etc) kick for the past year or so and i get my sugar from fruit generally with the occasional splurge here and there. here's hoping it's not the death type.

retrovm on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys. I need some advice on exercise.

Walking is not getting my heartbeat up. I'm still too heavy to run, I think. I don't own a bike or any equipment except for a pair of dumbells. I haven't got the money or the means to pay for a gym membership or even get to a gym. I mean, I could walk there I guess. But I think in this case, It'll be easier for me to stay on it if it's at least somewhat convenient for me to do so.

So what can I do for cardio?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Keep walking. Right now it's more important for you to focus on dietary changes anyways. Once you're physically more capable of handling exercise, you can focus on that.

Nothing wrong with walking. Just remember to do it every day if you have a sedentary job.

EDIT: I ate 48g grams of fiber today. God I need to lay off the bread. But I love sandwiches.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, followup question. I walk because I enjoy walking (really beautiful houses and old growth trees in this neighborhood), but at what point am I really getting benefit out of it, in terms of time/distance?

I generally get in 2-3 miles I think. Some nights I really get carried away and walk forever. One night not too far back, I started walking at 9:30PM and got home at 3AM. That was pretty fun (and strangely satisfying).

I guess what I'm asking (but trying not to ask) is: is there some minimum amount I should be shooting for? I usually go for an hour or so at a good pace.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Probably 30 minutes bare minimum if you are doing it daily.

I will say that, using a pedometer, I'm burning about 200ish calories an hour going roughly 2.5mph. Which is walking speed.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, followup question. I walk because I enjoy walking (really beautiful houses and old growth trees in this neighborhood), but at what point am I really getting benefit out of it, in terms of time/distance?

I generally get in 2-3 miles I think. Some nights I really get carried away and walk forever. One night not too far back, I started walking at 9:30PM and got home at 3AM. That was pretty fun (and strangely satisfying).

I guess what I'm asking (but trying not to ask) is: is there some minimum amount I should be shooting for? I usually go for an hour or so at a good pace.

You need interval training. Walk for 4 minutes, power walk for 1, or light jog if you can manage.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i had a physical yesterday, and my weight has dropped about 35lbs from this time last year according to the doctor's scale. yeah! going in for bloodwork tomorrow, since last time i had my cholesterol checked was 2007 and my LDL was 265 thanks to shit genetics from my mom's side.. ugh. i've been over 200 or so since i was 6 years old. my HDL is at 85 which is apparently good.
    thankfully my blood pressure has always been low, 110/65 or so consistently. thanks, dad's side of the family!

If you're getting your cholesterol checked, make sure you get your LDL density pattern checked. It's more important than really any of the other numbers, since LDL can be both completely harmless (if it's large buoyant, or Pattern A) or a heart attack waiting to happen (if it's small dense, or Pattern B). Most Americans are Pattern B or A/B (which is like half and half), since high carb and sugar intake corresponds with pattern B, and lower carb intake corresponds with pattern A.

The small dense LDL is the type that gets stuck on the side of vessels and then gets turned into oxidized LDL (oxLDL) which is what actually directly contributes to heart disease.

oh hey, good to know! i've been on a relatively low carb (well, "good" carbs that is-- complex, whole grains, etc) kick for the past year or so and i get my sugar from fruit generally with the occasional splurge here and there. here's hoping it's not the death type.

and VLDL (very low-density lipoprotein) is a totally separate thing from small dense LDL. I know that confuses people sometimes so thought I'd mention that.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Walk faster or walk uphill. Uphill may be difficult depending on where you live, but faster is always an option. You can also walk stairs if your knees aren't too bad. I know when I have to climb to the 4th floor of the parking garage my heart rate is higher at the top then when I started.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So how come nobody told me rowing was both fun and a great workout?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    man, shovelling a foot of heavy snow to dig out my car WHILE fasting for the bloodwork this morning was fucking awful. i almost blacked out. got blood drawn, almost blacked out. had breakfast and then shovelled MORE for like two hours.

i really hate winter. but at least it's good cardio?

retrovm on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rowing is kind of boring, actually.

Though in March ill be challenging myself to row 125,000 meters in 2 weeks through a challenge at my gym. Last year I did 125k in like 3 weeks.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    iowa wrote: »

Though in March ill be challenging myself to row 125,000 meters in 2 weeks through a challenge at my gym. Last year I did 125k in like 3 weeks.

That sounds like a lot. Are you doing this on a machine? How many meters is a stroke?

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    yeah it's on a machine. I'd have to check the second answer I haven't been on one since last year.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I want to say I averaged about 5k per 25 minutes? I can't remember. Nah it must have been more than that

iowa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    ;-)
    dzenith wrote: »
    I started dieting at the beginning of the month and have gone from 215lbs to 200lbs on a low carb diet. My wife has also dropped 7 lbs by eating my dinners.

For dinner I've mainly been grilling marinaded meats (steak, pork loin, tilapia, salmon) and eating a healthy portion of raw vegetables with ranch or cheese sauce. I also do stir fry one night and chicken-bacon ranch salads another. Lunch is wraps on low-carb tortillas with yogurt and sugar-free jello. Breakfast is several stalks of cut up celery with peanut butter on them. Snacks consist of cheese sticks and pickles.

There are a lot of great meat marinades that can be bought in the packages and you just add water, oil, and vinegar. The montreal steak sauce one is awesome for steaks and pork loin. Squeezing some fresh lemon and adding garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper is a great marinade for fish.

I am currently working full time and taking classes at night, so I don't have much time to cook on the weekdays. This is the main reason I put on weight in the first place - way too much fast food because I have no time to cook. I remedy this by doing a lot of prep work after I grocery shop on Saturday. I cut up all of the veggies and put them in tubaware and cube up all of the chicken breasts and freeze them. By doing this, I don't have any meals that take over 20 mins to cook, and that accounts for the time it takes for the grill to preheat as well.

My goal is to get down to 165 by the time of my sister's wedding in September. I want to show up looking like the skinny guy my family remembers.

So thanks for this thread to help with the motivation!

Your goals are so close to mine it's crazy. I was 210 at the beginning of the month and I was 202 this morning. My goal is 160. My diet is pretty much the opposite, but that's okay.

Up for some friendly competition? :wink:

I wouldn't put too much money on it if he's low carb and you're not =)

Any chance that for one post you could not be a total dick?

It wasn't meant to be dickish. Just commenting on the likely result of the situation. You need to view someones diet choice as not a part of them, and instead just see it for the results it will likely obtain. If the bet was who would win in a one mile race, someone who ran or walked, and I said the same thing in regards to the walker, would you consider that dickish? Probably not.

But if we're going to go with your view of the situation in which that comment was me being a dick, then to answer your question I believe my post one minute prior qualifies as not in any fashion being a dick for one post. And the this morning at 10:30 AM in this thread also qualifies I believe. Just to name a couple.

I strongly resent your personal attack and would appreciate an apology.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Time just flies when I'm rowing. Running not so much. Sure, theres tvs builting into the treadmills but i'm liking rowing so far.

125,000 meters? Hmmmm 10k a day, 12.5 days...

Let me know when you start so I can see if I can keep pace.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can someone put me straight on this I think I don't understand it completely.

So daily you burn calories even if you don't do anything and I guess that is what your metabolism is. So putting in my weight, height, age, gender, and considering my activity level to be Sedentary (which it isn't but just to get a baseline) I would burn 2200 calories. So say today I ate around 1800 calories would the difference count toward a calorie deficit? As in that difference would go toward burning fat?

Or am I just flat out wrong?

e: This is the site btw

e2: also a simliar tool on webmd says 2500 a day

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Basically. Your body doesn't necessarily get the calorie deficit from burning fat, but it will get it from somewhere. Also, the numbers are by no means exact and will vary from day to day and person to person.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Basically. Your body doesn't necessarily get the calorie deficit from burning fat, but it will get it from somewhere. Also, the numbers are by no means exact and will vary from day to day and person to person.

It will get it from burning fat, or lean body mass (muscle), or by decreasing cellular energy levels (lowering your metabolism).

If your body is not prevented from burning fat from raised insulin levels, then it will burn fat before it does any of those other things. If you do have raised insulin levels throughout the day then it can/will do all three, largely depending on your specific level of insulin sensitivity - which determines how quickly elevated insulin levels are cleared from the bloodstream - and once that happens you will start burning fat again. If you're starting of with an obesity problem though know that you likely have low insulin sensitivity/high insulin resistance, which leads to elevated levels of insulin being present longer throughout the day and decreases fat loss.

geckahn on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It will get it from burning fat, or lean body mass (muscle), or by decreasing cellular energy levels (lowering your metabolism).

If your body is not prevented from burning fat from raised insulin levels, then it will burn fat before it does any of those other things. If you do have raised insulin levels throughout the day then it can/will do all three, largely depending on your specific level of insulin sensitivity - which determines how quickly elevated insulin levels are cleared from the bloodstream - and once that happens you will start burning fat again. If you're starting of with an obesity problem though know that you likely have low insulin sensitivity/high insulin resistance, which leads to elevated levels of insulin being present longer throughout the day and decreases fat loss.

That's not 100% true.

If you aren't exercising regularly (especially incorporating resistance training), your body will likely burn fat and muscle equally (or close to, depending on genetics).

If you skip meals or reduce caloric intake too much, you'll burn muscle at a greatly increased rate compared to fat.

Insulin levels have a bearing on what is burned when, but so do glycogen levels, current un-utilised protein and carbs and your hormone levels (ie higher testosterone will tend to prevent undue muscle loss).

Docken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Aye. Exercise, and resistance training in particular, increases muscular and hepatic insulin sensitivity, which is the main reason why they're so good for losing weight.

and yeah, other hormones have an effect as well. Cortisol is important (so get alot of sleep and avoid stress). Insulin is just kinda the big one, since it is the only hormone that directly increases fat stores and prevents fat loss, and the one thats directly affected by diet.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Basically, don't think that going super low each day is going to help. Get as close to that as possible, otherwise your body is going to fight against when it comes to weight loss.

A basic guideline is 30/30/40 Fat/Carbs/Protein. The Carbs should be complex, whole grain stuff, as opposed to sugar from junk food (fruit isn't bad).

That's just very basic, and you can alter that based on what works for you (low carb, low fat, etc.). I've lost 11 pounds so far even though my carbs are overly high (mostly whole grain, though), so feel free to experiment.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good to know. I'm not sure about insulin levels and all that but I'm exercising regularly and sleeping well. Eating around 1700-2000 everyday and nutrition wise I'm not sure. I am starting to follow that on Fitday so should know in a couple days what that looks like better.

Thanks guys

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I'm in decent shape right now and have been cutting over the last two months. About 6'2 and down from 217 to about 208 right now. I'm close to seeing my abs and am hoping to achieve this goal by the summer. Guessing I'm going to need to be down to 195 or so based on how I'm built and where I'm at now. I know the whole, "abs are made in the kitchen" deal, and my diet is comprised of the following (3 600 cal meals/day plus two 200 cal snacks), plus one cheat meal per week:

Chicken/Turkey - in various forms (all lean, no skin)
    Eggs (lots and lots of eggs)
    Tons of veggies
    Almonds for snacks
    Oatmeal
    Brown Rice
    Lentils in various forms

I'll usually make some big meal once a week and eat on it all week, like a big lentil veggie soup or a turkey goulash, etc. I'm lifting 4 times a week and doing cardio 4-5 times a week. I'm going up in weight and continuing to trim down. I guess my question is, how much weight do I need to be putting on my abs? Right now I'm doing hanging leg/knee raises and twisting crunches once a week but don't know if I need to be doing weighted crunches in some form or doing more of these types. Also any other tips on acheiving this goal are greatly appreciated!

milehigh on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    Can someone put me straight on this I think I don't understand it completely.

So daily you burn calories even if you don't do anything and I guess that is what your metabolism is. So putting in my weight, height, age, gender, and considering my activity level to be Sedentary (which it isn't but just to get a baseline) I would burn 2200 calories. So say today I ate around 1800 calories would the difference count toward a calorie deficit? As in that difference would go toward burning fat?

Or am I just flat out wrong?

e: This is the site btw

e2: also a simliar tool on webmd says 2500 a day

Basal Metabolic Rate (which is different from what you are calculating, you calculator takes into account daily activity - BMR is literally your lying still and doing nothing figure) as calculated by various formulas has a standard deviation of around 10%. So if you calculate your BMR at, say 1800 calories there's a 65% chance you'll be in the range 1620-1980, and a 95% chance you'll be in the range 1440-2160. The spread on that second set of figures is enough for an entire extra meal.

So what I'm saying is be wary of the figure you get from doing BMR calculations - they are starting points to set in stone fact.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been mozying around 94kg for a month now, was around 99kg in december but I'd really like to get below 90 again. I'm gonna start jogging in the mornings a few times a week and cut sweets out of my diet entirely.

I've always been rather well built and employed though, so its not like I'm super fat, but I'd really love to get fit! :)

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »

Time just flies when I'm rowing. Running not so much. Sure, theres tvs builting into the treadmills but i'm liking rowing so far.

125,000 meters? Hmmmm 10k a day, 12.5 days...

Let me know when you start so I can see if I can keep pace.

will do.

I just never feel like i get into the zone while I'm rowing. Even when I do intervals. I think it's because I'm sitting.

iowa on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really been loving the rock climbing nights I added to my weekly workouts. It leaves me feeling accomplished and sore and I can easily gauge my improvements.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sprinting after my dog when he sees another dog and takes off to say hi is pretty good exercise...

jimb213 on
  • Options
    TevinTevin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ooo, hey check this out.

http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie

I'm super leery of anything with a title like that, but it seems to reconcile itself pretty well to what has worked for me.

I've been away from straight barbell work by doing body weight + cardio (more because of time than anything else) but I think I'm going to switch back to this method.

Thoughts?

Tevin on
    None of us is as dumb as all of us.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    I just skimmed the article, but there's honestly not much there I'd disagree with. In fact, it really does mirror my slow growth into fitness and strength training.

I'm one of those people that will always always always suggest weighted bar work with or over bodyweight work. Progression requires either increased reps, decreased recovery time or increased loads. You can do the first two just fine with bodyweight, but the last one can be sort of an issue. I've also found, personally, that I keep form much better with weighted exercises. It helps when you can see the object you're working with, instead of relying on what you think you know about your body position.

A duck! on
  • Options
    TevinTevin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "I'm one of those people that will always always always suggest weighted bar work with or over bodyweight work. Progression requires either increased reps, decreased recovery time or increased loads. You can do the first two just fine with bodyweight, but the last one can be sort of an issue. I've also found, personally, that I keep form much better with weighted exercises."

Yeah, I made the switch to body weight because I wanted a switch up from the weights that I'd been doing for a few months. I HAVE seen some results, but in very weird ways - mostly, my body just feels more responsive. I don't know how to explain it, but I just feel like I've upped my FPS from 20 to 30.

Reading the article, and assessing what I like and where I am with my weights already, I think I'm going to do squats, bench and deadlift with the addition of planks, push ups and pull ups. Planks because it's good for the back, push ups because I'm weak at them and pull ups because they make me feel badass.

Tevin on
    None of us is as dumb as all of us.
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I need to stop beating myself up by weighing in every single day.

It only causes frustration over nothing.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    k it's time for me to actually do squats, I'm scared to a) look like an idiot and b) break my spine. since nothing is easy I can't find anyone who seems to agree on how to do this, so...what should I do? this video seems pretty accurate, based on what I've come across so far:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7JQ6bU0XY

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tevin wrote: »
    Ooo, hey check this out.

http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie

I'm super leery of anything with a title like that, but it seems to reconcile itself pretty well to what has worked for me.

I've been away from straight barbell work by doing body weight + cardio (more because of time than anything else) but I think I'm going to switch back to this method.

Thoughts?

I like that article and i will start doing more barbells and dumbbells. I gotta say though, I kinda like doing cable/resistance band exercises for certain parts of the body like shoulders or triceps.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you want to learn how to squat, watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i60dzS84n8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

Rippetoe is the best. He wrote the bible of free weight lifting, starting strength.

and start with no weight before you get under that bar.

You want a wide stance. go below parallel. sit back and drive up through your hips. knees never go past your toes, and knees go in the direction your feet are pointing.

preferably use flat soled shoes, or no shoes if you have a home gym, not running shoes.

geckahn on