Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From Joystiq:
    Toy Poodle and Friends

* Toy Poodle
    * Pembroke Welsh Corgi
    * Mini Schnauzer
    * Boxer
    * Bull Terrier
    * Labrador Retriever
    * Shih Tzu
    * Jack Russell
    * Pomeranian

French Bulldog and Friends

* French Bulldog
    * Shetland Sheepdog
    * Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    * Chihuahua
    * Dalmatian
    * Yorkshire Terrier
    * German Shepherd
    * Husky
    * Basset Hound

Shiba Inu and Friends (Golden Retriever and Friends for US/Europe)

* Shiba Inu
    * Golden Retriever
    * Beagle
    * Mini Pinscher
    * Dachshund
    * Maltese
    * Great Dane
    * Pug
    * Cocker Spaniel

Whether you like Nintendogs or not, which would you buy?

I think Golden Retriever/Shiba is going to do the best worldwide. I mean, look at that dog list! Beagle, Great Dane and Cocker Spaniel?

Although the others have good choices too. I think they picked the wrong headliner dogs. German Shepherd/Husky/Yorky would be fun. And for people who played Ghost Trick, the other version has Pomeranians!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And for people who played Ghost Trick, the other version has Pomeranians!
    Yep! Clearly the top choice.

(Not to mention corgis, the best dog ever)

Definitely an odd choice for the cover pooch on that one though.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Golden Retriever version seems like the best one, although I don't really have an interest in dogs. If I get this game, and who I am kidding I probably will, it will be for the cats.

And I assume all dogs are unlockable on all versions anyway.

Taya on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Taya wrote: »
    And I assume all dogs are unlockable on all versions anyway.

It was that way with the original but you had to play an insane amount to unlock the dogs that weren't default in that version. To the point where it simply wasn't worth the effort.

I'm not getting Nintendogs + Cats but if I did I'd go for the French Bulldog version. One of my coworkers has French Bulldogs and they're about the cutest dogs ever.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isn't it called Nintendogs + Cats? Where are the cats?

(I'm only asking because having an Iriomote wildcat as a pet would be absolutely superific.)

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Chen wrote: »

(I'm only asking because having an Iriomote wildcat as a pet would be absolutely superific.)

From what I've heard, cats are really getting the shaft. You really can't choose a breed, only different colors. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Nintendo is phoning this one in.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited February 2011

From what I've heard, cats are really getting the shaft. You really can't choose a breed, only different colors. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So far that's just a rumor from one blog site, I can't even find reference to it anymore, and it could very easily be as a result of seeing the demo version for shows. What we do know that's been stated by Nintendo is that you start off picking a dog breed, and a cat will just wander in later, as cats are known to do. After that, we know nothing - can you find a pet shop that will sell you cats later just like buying other dogs in Nintendogs?

And they're definitely not phoning it in, they've already expressed how difficult it was to incorporate the cats to begin with, new models and new animations and all.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whether you like Nintendogs or not, which would you buy?
    No Labradoodle? What about those of us with allergies?

Seol on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    And they're definitely not phoning it in, they've already expressed how difficult it was to incorporate the cats to begin with, new models and new animations and all.

Perhaps. I haven't seen enough of the game yet to convince me otherwise. Could simply be Nintendo's secrecy coming into play but based on my experience with the last game and their efforts with games like Animal Crossing.... I have my doubts.

edit: Not to mention this is a launch title for a Nintendo portable. When have they ever put their heart into one of those?

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

So far that's just a rumor from one blog site, I can't even find reference to it anymore, and it could very easily be as a result of seeing the demo version for shows. What we do know that's been stated by Nintendo is that you start off picking a dog breed, and a cat will just wander in later, as cats are known to do. After that, we know nothing - can you find a pet shop that will sell you cats later just like buying other dogs in Nintendogs?

So what they are saying is, "we are repackaging the same old shit to you, with a different title because we won't release a new version of this game with the lineup."

So from what I am seeing so far, the lineup SUCKS DONKEY SHAFT.
    I went from "Gotta have it!" to "Meh, I'll see what comes out later."

Seriously. Pilotwings and Nintendogs? Wtf Nintendo.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Miyamoto got a cat and realized just what bastards the things are.

Miayamoto needs to take up Ultimate Fighting or something.

Algertman on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    There's an entire Iwata Asks on why they're treating cats as secondary in this version

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also remember that Nintendogs is one of the best selling games of all time that wasn't packed in with a console. Of course they'll want to make this game a worthy successor that people will enjoy.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had no interest in the first Nintendogs but I'm probably going to get this one. Also I swear to god if the next Etrian Odyssey doesn't get a PAL release I will hurt somebody.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wasn't the reason that basically, cats aren't very interactive creatures?

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    Wasn't the reason that basically, cats aren't very interactive creatures?

As a former cat owner, I can assure you this isn't true. Cats can be incredibly playful. They just have a habit of doing whatever they damn well please. Dogs are eager to please their masters. Cats have a similar relationship with man, only in their eyes the roles are reversed. :lol:

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also remember that Nintendogs is one of the best selling games of all time that wasn't packed in with a console. Of course they'll want to make this game a worthy successor that people will enjoy.

You're being sarcastic, right?

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    persian-cat-kitten.jpg

awwwww

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You're being sarcastic, right?

Yes, clearly I meant that it was actually an incredibly poor selling game, therefore they don't care about the property at all and have been quoted as saying that they hope nobody enjoys it and they're actively trying to make it a worse game.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I liked Nintendogs when it came out but the voice commands were very finicky. Even if you're careful not to shout or get too close to the mic, and there isn't any background noise, and you say the command very clearly, it's still not going to work every time. Winning the tricks competition was impossible, at least for me.

If the 3DS version has more features and a better training system, it could be a lot of fun. Then again I'm a big fan of virtual pet-type games. :oops:

Taya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hurp durp DURP!

Saying Nintendogs is one of the best selling games of ALL TIME is what I don't buy. Doesn't make it untrue because I don't follow statistics like that, but I don't recall people swooning over that game and having huge megathreads about it.

Regardless of that, it still makes for a shitty launch title on a new system. A fucking tomagotchi for 300 bucks. No thanks. Obviously my own opinion compared to the rest of the world who MUST HAVE NINTENDOGS!!!!!

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hurp durp DURP!

Saying Nintendogs is one of the best selling games of ALL TIME is what I don't buy. Doesn't make it untrue because I don't follow statistics like that, but I don't recall people swooning over that game and having huge megathreads about it.

Regardless of that, it still makes for a shitty launch title on a new system. A fucking tomagotchi for 300 bucks. No thanks. Obviously my own opinion compared to the rest of the world who MUST HAVE NINTENDOGS!!!!!

We weren't the intended audience of that game. Rather, it was for people who don't frequent videogame forums.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

A selection, with some lower-selling titles for comparison:

Wii Sports (75.66 million) (pack-in)
    Super Mario Bros. (40.23 million) (pack-in)
    Tetris (35 million) (pack-in)
    Wii Play (27.38 million)
    Mario Kart Wii (26.50 million)
    Wii Sports Resort (26.35 million)
    New Super Mario Bros. (26.21 million)
    Pokémon Red, and Blue (23.64 million)
    Nintendogs All versions (23.26 million)
    Wii Fit (22.61 million)
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii (21.28 million)
    Super Mario World (20 million) (pack-in)
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (18 million)
    Mario Kart DS (17.90 million)
    Wii Fit Plus (17.74 million)
    Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (17.39 million)
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (17.33 million)
    The Sims (16 million)
    World of Warcraft (12 million subscribers)
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (10 million)
    Final Fantasy VII (9.8 million)
    Halo 3 (8.1 million)
    Halo 2 (8 million)
    Halo: Combat Evolved (5 million)
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (3.8 million)

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    Hurp durp DURP!

There are not enough facepalms in the world

Please stop embarrassing yourself

Opium on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    It is a very bad idea and very silly to judge sales of a game based on PA threads and their activity for it

Nintendogs sold $texas.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hurp durp DURP!

We weren't the intended audience of that game. Rather, it was for people who don't frequent videogame forums.

I'm tracking. I did my homework real quick, it was popular, not "best game ever" popular, but obviously it was successful. I just didn't assume that was the case. The salt in my eyes from the shitty release list blinded me to fact that Nintendo cares about money, not my gaming experience.

Pilotwings is alright for a release title, but... I mean come on, that list is effing retarded and I don't see them announcing Zelda or Animal Crossing or something else on the "in works" list for the launch, it's already mid-feb.

Alrighty, i'm done bitching about the launch. Moving on.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The launch list is certainly mediocre at best but the 3DS will still sell like hotcakes and people will enjoy playing with the built-in features until the novelty wears off. And just as that starts to happen, the big games will hit. Having a bunch of average titles at launch almost seems like a good strategy. By the time Christmas shopping season rolls around, the 3DS will have plenty of games and it will sell like hotcakesx2.

Taya on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nintendo has said explicitly that they're holding back some of their more hardcore-friendly titles back so as to give third party titles more exposure. This isn't a failure to deliver on Nintendo's part: it's a deliberate strategy. The 3DS is going to sell through for the launch window regardless, hardware manufacturing is going to be the bottleneck for some time, and it's not like there's a lack of AAA-looking games in the pipeline.

Seol on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I find the launch line-up pretty decent actually. You have Nintendogs and Sims 3 for the soccer moms and preteen girls, Lego Star Wars and Rayman for the boys, Pro Evo/Madden for the jocks, Ridge Racer for the Ridge Racer fans whoever they are, Street Fighter and Splinter Cell for the srs gaming crowd, Pilotwings and Super Monkey Ball should suit all demographics and Ghost Recon may just be a sleeper hit.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think anyone in here was claiming Nintendogs to be the best game ever. It is however, a pretty solid virtual pet game. I had the first one, but this one I will probably skip. My pup is enough of a handful as is.

I'm not completely jazzed over the launch lineup either. I'm buying mine at right away just so I don't have to go searching for one later when all the Star Fox/AC/Zelda/Metal Gears come out. Street Fighter should hold me over until then.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm getting Street Fighter 4. If Pilotwings, Steel Diver, Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell get decent reviews, I might spring for some of those too (Chaos Theory was the best one but I don't know what this port includes). Nothing wrong with waiting for reviews, there'll be at least two solid gems around launch.

Plus it's not going to be more than a month or two before other games start coming out too, it's not going to be an extremely long wait before we see OoT, Star Fox and the rest.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Street Fighter 4 is also my launch title of choice. Pilotwings and Steel Diver look cool so I might get those as well. Haven't discarded Super Monkey Ball and Dead or Alive.

Also, Face Raiders and the AR Games look like stuff to keep you entertained while you wait for more games and the eShop.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm getting Street Fighter 4. If Pilotwings, Steel Diver, Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell get decent reviews, I might spring for some of those too (Chaos Theory was the best one but I don't know what this port includes). Nothing wrong with waiting for reviews, there'll be at least two solid gems around launch.

Plus it's not going to be more than a month or two before other games start coming out too, it's not going to be an extremely long wait before we see OoT, Star Fox and the rest.

Street Fighter here, too, as well as Pilotwings. Waiting for reviews on Splinter Cell and Rayman.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    System completely payed off in trade ins. 8-)

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SF4, Pilotwings, Steel Diver. Those are titles I plan on getting.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    See, I was sold on Steel Diver until I heard the audio in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNs94d_vPyY

If a review says I can modify/turn off the voices, then I'll probably buy it, because every preview has been really glowing and called it a sleeper hit. I think it's confirmed now that it's even set up a bit like Advance Wars with different unique sub pilots.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You said the magic words! I'm IN!

Jintor on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As someone who owned an N64 with a large collection of games and despite that managed to never play Pilotwings, I'll be getting the updated version in my collection of 3DS games. I feel like, until then, I'll be violating some ethereal gamer doctrine which is set to produce 100 years of bad karma on my doorstep if I don't rectify my mistake.

And I'll probably be picking up Steel Diver--half for curiosity's sake, half for supporting a new IP from Nintendo in the hopes that the trend will continue.

And SSF43D of course.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    See, I was sold on Steel Diver until I heard the audio in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNs94d_vPyY

If a review says I can modify/turn off the voices, then I'll probably buy it, because every preview has been really glowing and called it a sleeper hit. I think it's confirmed now that it's even set up a bit like Advance Wars with different unique sub pilots.

I have to assume that's the japanese version.

I have to or I will cry.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Steel Diver playable with LaserScope CONFIRMED!

Algertman on