As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Information and FAQ Thread (QUESTIONS GO HERE!)

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As soon as the Have a Badge/Need a Badge thread gets thrown up, you will not have any problem selling your badge at face value only.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For the fighting game tournies, do we have to bring our own controllers? I wouldn't bring my stick, but if they are making people use the regular Xbox controller, I would bring my fight pad.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    FamedPunnisherFamedPunnisher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hi I am trying to get set up to Demo Dystopian Wars on Friday in the open game area, and I have a two part question. \

1. Is there any one to contact still to see if a couple tables can be reserved still? If not thats ok I will live and deal with it i know they have area set up for come and play freely stuff or some one could clear this up if I've gotten it wrong.

2. I'm prob going to have a couple new extra items from my purchases to get ready am I allowed to do a Raffle where some one spends $2 on a ticket and I raffle them at the end of the day. I know some Cons have clauses/restrictions on these types of things to not hurt vendors so I was curious. Is there some one I need to contact to get this approved if there is restriction/application system.

Thanks for helping or correcting my info I just want to do this the right way to not get myself or a visitor in trouble :).

FamedPunnisher on
    "Dude hanging out with me is like having a gun in your glove box no one f***s with you."- James White

"What the f*** do you know about Trouble shooting?!" - Paul Runko, Jr.
  • Options
    SoFatalSoFatal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Important Question : I need the contact info of the person in charge of handling the console gaming(Especially the Smash Tournament) I have a cool idea I would like to propose. Thanks.

SoFatal on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    daegan wrote: »
    Are these available out of town (read: can they mail them to me?), or do I need to pick one up when I get there? We're planning on rolling in pretty early on Thursday to explore and the fewer things I have to do between arrival and going out, the better.

You can have preloaded Charlie cards mailed to you. I did that last year.

you can get a card preloaded with monies mailed to you HOWEVER you cannot get a weekly pass that way. those are only available in paper ticket form, and you can get them at the machines in every train station. they are good for unlimited bus/subway for 7 days, starting from the minute you purchase them. if you're planning to do any sightseeing, the weekly pass is a really good idea, and if you're doing the mmt it's probably a must. hopping on and off the train can get pricey fast. if you're just using it to get from your hotel to pax, you might be able to make do with a little cash on a charlie card, but honestly you probably won't save a whole lot over the pass and you'll just feel more restricted in what you can do/where you can go.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    For the fighting game tournies, do we have to bring our own controllers? I wouldn't bring my stick, but if they are making people use the regular Xbox controller, I would bring my fight pad.

You are not required to bring your own controller, but you may if you wish.
    SoFatal wrote: »
    Important Question : I need the contact info of the person in charge of handling the console gaming(Especially the Smash Tournament) I have a cool idea I would like to propose. Thanks.

We are pretty much locked down on ideas for PAX East at this point, but shoot me an email at kwhite@reedexpo.com and I will forward it their direction.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    xipetotecxipetotec Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This will be my first PAX. Something I'm not grasping is open game rooms. I don't want to join any tournaments or anything. But for example, I'd love to join a Call of Cthulhu game IF anyone is planning on running one. How would I go about finding someone who might be? ( Other than posting here of course :) )

xipetotec on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    xipetotec wrote: »
    This will be my first PAX. Something I'm not grasping is open game rooms. I don't want to join any tournaments or anything. But for example, I'd love to join a Call of Cthulhu game IF anyone is planning on running one. How would I go about finding someone who might be? ( Other than posting here of course :) )

Other than posting here in the FAQ and the various tabletop/pc freeplay/etc threads, you can just go to the rooms and ask "hey is anyone running an <insert game here>". Or you can say "hey I'm going to run an <insert game here> does anybody want to play?" The open game rooms are exactly that: open. It's a good place to just hang out and meet cool people that play stuff you like to play, or maybe even to learn something new!

zerzhul on
  • Options
    McNsMcNs Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I see there's a Warmachine/Hordes tournament on Saturday but I can't find any other information regarding the event (point size of the games, etc). Apologies if I'm just being a noob, but does anyone know the details of this event?

McNs on
  • Options
    SoFatalSoFatal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    heels wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »

You are not required to bring your own controller, but you may if you wish.
    SoFatal wrote: »

We are pretty much locked down on ideas for PAX East at this point, but shoot me an email at kwhite@reedexpo.com and I will forward it their direction.

I emailed you. Thanks :]

SoFatal on
  • Options
    PolynomialsPolynomials Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Forgive me if this topic has been raised. I checked through threads and didn't see one like it.

So me, my gf, and my buddy all just grabbed our 3-days for PAX East in 3 weeks. I'm fairly certain I will have an awesome time, but the thing is that all of us are definitely on the more casual side of the gaming spectrum.

Here are the things that we are most into:
    My gf and I just started playing DnD 4th ed. Like not even lvl 2 yet.
    I am one of these people who lets other games float in the WoW solution. I'm pretty good at that but all the BYOC slots are taken. In any case I don't have a laptop, or a car to bring the computer. Right now I'm on my 3rd Dragon Age playthrough in anticipation of DAII. Before my Xbox RROD'd me, I had a decent collection of 360 games which are now gathering dust until I can get it fixed.
    My buddy is a Starcraft 2 guy, and we just co-oped through Black Ops together.

I checked the schedule and I see that none of those games have time set aside for them, but it appears that there is free space in each of the venues, which I presume means people can do whatever they want? How does that work?

The other problem is most of the scheduled games I have never played at all, and the ones I do know how to play I am worried what the point will because I'm sure I'll be getting schooled constantly. Now that doesn't bother me, its just that my gf is- don't tell her I said this- a rather sore loser when it comes to playing other people, and I want her to have fun. If she gets annihilated too easily she will not have fun.

tl;dr: What options are available for people who wanna play non-scheduled things? Also, can it be fun for people who are not all that competitive (attitude-/skill level-wise).

Polynomials on
  • Options
    wunderhundwunderhund Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Is there a policy or commonly accepted etiquette about bringing cameras to PAX?

wunderhund on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There are various freeplay sections to PAX. Console, Handheld, PC(where you don't need a your own PC) and Tabletop.

Then there are tournaments scheduled in these areas too!

Rdr on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They're welcome, although some panels and exhibits will ask for no photos.

Heleor on
  • Options
    PolynomialsPolynomials Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Great! Is there anywhere to find out about what the schedule/availability for those will be ahead of time? Do you know if it is just a find out when you get there sort of thing? Or is it schedule your own? Some combination thereof?

Polynomials on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, here is the tourney schedule http://east.paxsite.com/Tourney_Schedule.pdf

I don't see the freeplay times off hand but I believe last year it was when PAX was open or somewhere close to the hours PAX is open. I'm sure someone can clarify.

Rdr on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    All freeplay areas are open as long as PAX is open.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you're interested in giving the WoW: TCG a shot check this thread out:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=136703

Goodfella2487 on
  • Options
    The Smartest Man?The Smartest Man? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, I was wondering how long are the waits for panels? I am sure that some will be more popular than others, like the keynote speaker, but what would be the total mean (or median, if appropriate.)

I have tried using the search function to see if someone has asked this already, but for some reason it doesn't work :(.

The Smartest Man? on
    So it goes...
  • Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, I was wondering how long are the waits for panels? I am sure that some will be more popular than others, like the keynote speaker, but what would be the total mean (or median, if appropriate.)

I have tried using the search function to see if someone has asked this already, but for some reason it doesn't work :(.

At least an hour, maybe longer. It depends on the room that the panel is being held in.

I showed up to the GeekDad panel an hour early and it was already capped off for capacity, which shocked me because I didn't think that would be that popular of a panel, but I think it also had a smaller room than some of the others.

I showed up an hour early to Retronauts and College Humor and we got into both of those just fine.

My average last year was an hour wait in line, but your mileage may vary, especially now that it is at a larger venue with (hopefully) larger panel rooms.

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    The Smartest Man?The Smartest Man? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Deefuzz wrote: »

At least an hour, maybe longer. It depends on the room that the panel is being held in.

I showed up to the GeekDad panel an hour early and it was already capped off for capacity, which shocked me because I didn't think that would be that popular of a panel, but I think it also had a smaller room than some of the others.

I showed up an hour early to Retronauts and College Humor and we got into both of those just fine.

My average last year was an hour wait in line, but your mileage may vary, especially now that it is at a larger venue with (hopefully) larger panel rooms.

Thanks for the info =). I just need to make some adjustments to my schedule now.

The Smartest Man? on
    So it goes...
  • Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Thanks for the info =). I just need to make some adjustments to my schedule now.

One thing to keep in mind is lines for panels will never be longer than hour and half or least they shouldn't be as policies least in the past have been one line one panel (aka if there is a line its for the next panel and they wont start the line till the current line has funneled into the theater)

Also like defuzz said it all depends on the panel.

Singollo on
  • Options
    StickFigsStickFigs Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I bought a ticket for Saturday but I am unable to attend on Saturday, is there any way to switch my ticket over to a Friday pass? Thanks!

StickFigs on
    Royale with Cheese.
  • Options
    lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Does that mean they'll let you know if you show up too late and it's already capped for capacity? I'd hate to waste time sitting in a line if I have no chance of getting in. I will keep the 1 hour wait in mind though.

lillb on
  • Options
    GenisaurusGenisaurus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I can't get the search function on the forum to work, and 25 pages is a bit much to manually browse through.

Being a typical poor college student, I can't afford to attend PAX. However, I would love to hear the panels on entering "The Industry™." Are any of the panels going to be youtube'd, podcasted, blogged, HAM Radioed or otherwise publicly available? Thanks!

Genisaurus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Expect most of PAX to be YouTube'd, and there's the PAX Forum Unofficial DVD Project, which, if what you want doesn't get YouTube'd, should make it there.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    lillb wrote: »
    Does that mean they'll let you know if you show up too late and it's already capped for capacity? I'd hate to waste time sitting in a line if I have no chance of getting in. I will keep the 1 hour wait in mind though.

great question.

anyone know how they handled this kind of situation last year?

also, this came in mind. looks like this hasn't been asked yet, and apologies if it has already but: does anyone know if pax/bcec has a bottled water policy? is it safe to bring my own bottle and small snacks?? i can only assume it is, but don't want to get in trouble with anyone for bringing in outside food.

thanks kindly!

kid_nyc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'm not sure if it was universal, but there were definitely some "Don't bother lining up behind me, I'm the last person in" signs at East and Prime.
    kid_nyc wrote: »
    also, this came in mind. looks like this hasn't been asked yet, and apologies if it has already but: does anyone know if pax/bcec has a bottled water policy? is it safe to bring my own bottle and small snacks?? i can only assume it is, but don't want to get in trouble with anyone for bringing in outside food.

thanks kindly!

Perfectly kosher.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just don't set up a wafflemaker in the queue line...

Heleor on
  • Options
    FamedPunnisherFamedPunnisher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So no one has any info on this?

FamedPunnisher on
    "Dude hanging out with me is like having a gun in your glove box no one f***s with you."- James White

"What the f*** do you know about Trouble shooting?!" - Paul Runko, Jr.
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With Amarak, the company that holds the food contracts, it's not so much about the food, it's about the location.
    I've been to cons with extensive food available to staff or volunteers. Staff may get food where they are working, but volunteers can only pick up food in a designated location (usually volunteer HQ).
    I've also seen numerous cases of people bringing in outside food to eat. Again, Amarak usually doesn't complain about this.
    However, if you share the food with other people, that's when they complain. If you have to order for a group, go out and eat as a group. If you're picking up for yourself and maybe one other, that's ok.

Granted, this is based on my experiences in the Hynes. I assume things work the same way at the BCEC (same company holds the contract).

Keep it small. No need to order the 7 course meal, if you know what I mean. Just get enough to stay hydrated and keep you going.
    This way, they're less likely to notice you.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Singollo wrote: »

One thing to keep in mind is lines for panels will never be longer than hour and half or least they shouldn't be as policies least in the past have been one line one panel (aka if there is a line its for the next panel and they wont start the line till the current line has funneled into the theater)

Also like defuzz said it all depends on the panel.

if this is true, it makes for a pretty good rule of thumb. if you absolutely must see something, be sure to show up around the time the previous panel in the same room begins. i will make note of this.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    kid_nyc wrote: »

thanks kindly!

Last year I brought a few bottles of water with me and no one cared at all. I'm sure small snacks wouldn't be much trouble either, but I wouldn't bring a whole meal or anything.

lillb on
  • Options
    MALACHEMALACHE Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know if anyone had brought this up before, but I just sat down for my monthly marathon of catching up on all of the PA vids released recently and thought of something: A Free-Play Ping Pong section!

Just set up four or six tables and let people play for fun. Maybe there could be tourneys if people wanted them, but just to take a little time and play a game against someone might be fun.

What do you guys/ladies think?

MALACHE on
  • Options
    ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i like it.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Its been asked many times and been shot down by PA.

Reasoning:
    The space to play pingpong is large and is better served with gaming stuff
    Dont need sweaty gamers

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    MALACHEMALACHE Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe we just need a bigger arena?? And Gamers are sweaty by nature. ;-)

MALACHE on
  • Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well for the one panel we couldn't get into, it took the Enforcers a while to let us know that it was full, but I think they thought we were lining up for the next panel. That was an odd case though, because they had opened the room early because the panel before it was done early or something. So the room was already full with like an hour until the panel was to start. I definitely wouldn't consider that to be a normal thing, probably more of a worst case scenario. Just wanted to add that. :)

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    McNs wrote: »
    I see there's a Warmachine/Hordes tournament on Saturday but I can't find any other information regarding the event (point size of the games, etc). Apologies if I'm just being a noob, but does anyone know the details of this event?

I believe the details for these are in this thread.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    thanks for the responses everyone :)

kid_nyc on
This discussion has been closed.