As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEλM | I SERVE THE NEWELL

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think braid got a lot of shit because of all the hoopla around its release being like a one man project, the price, the obscure story, etc.

It's actually quite good, has a good length, nice puzzles, great music, etc.

Is it perfect? No, not at all. There's a lot of flaws but the end result is much better than not.

Looking back maybe I wouldn't pay the full $15 I did again, but I don't regret it. It's so cheap on the PC with sales all over creation that if you can get it for like $5 it's more than worthwhile.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    braid was a brilliant game

people who complain that it could "only be played the way the designer intended it" are strange. that's how 99% of puzzle games work. i can't think of a puzzle game that doesn't consist of the player attempting to figure out the one solution.

the game was about adapting to a constantly changing set of rules, and experimenting to figure out how those rules functioned. it was wonderful.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Braid is bloody brilliant.

LewieP on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

people who complain that it could "only be played the way the designer intended it" are strange. that's how 99% of puzzle games work. i can't think of a puzzle game that doesn't consist of the player attempting to figure out the one solution.

the game was about adapting to a constantly changing set of rules, and experimenting to figure out how those rules functioned. it was wonderful.

And by midgame, there's usually more than one solution to every puzzle. Some of which are unintentional consequences of how the world works.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It is.

You can easily ignore the atrocious storytelling too (which I was doing after touching 5 of those books).

Alegis on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Tetris

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The same solution, in different forms.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, Tetris follows its own internal rules very consistently. You don't have a lot of leeway in what you're allowed to do.

All puzzle games are this way. Complaining about it in Braid is pretty asinine.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, Tetris follows its own internal rules very consistently. You don't have a lot of leeway in what you're allowed to do.

Not all puzzle games. I know I'm a whore for this game, but if anyone wants a puzzle game where you invent your own solution rather than discovering an intended solution...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1_w_-46rV0&feature=channel_video_title

For example, in one of the earlier levels you get H2 from one input, O2 from the other input, and you have to split them both apart and rebond them into H2O2 before outputting it.

Here was how I solved it:

And here is somebody else's solution:

And a third, for good measure:

Greatest. Puzzle game. Ever.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jazz wrote: »

Tetris

That's unfair. Tetris is in such a different ball park.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i'm trying to solve this tetris puzzle by filling a column and it's not working wtf

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Isn't this essentially what every good video game is about? My problem with Braid is that there was nothing in the game to draw me back in. I had plenty of fun for the first hour but each time I took a break it became increasingly hard to motivate myself to play it again. The first few levels after a new mechanic was introduced were always a blast, but later levels quickly became tedious and I never truly felt engaged. It would have been nice if the levels were much larger and didn't revolve around just a few key steps.

Beefers on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hm. Napoleon runs pretty poorly on my pretty good PC. Is it just a hog or are there some tweaks or what?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Not all puzzle games. I know I'm a whore for this game, but if anyone wants a puzzle game where you invent your own solution rather than discovering an intended solution...

For example, in one of the earlier levels you get H2 from one input, O2 from the other input, and you have to split them both apart and rebond them into H2O2 before outputting it.

I keep seeing people mention this game. I saw it on Steam and it just looked odd.

I guess I'm going to have to try the demo now.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    braid is worth playing for the art style, the music, and the generally interesting gameplay.

pay no attention to the pretentious pseudo-story that's uncomfortably shoehorned in.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My god. The spacechem demo is addictive.

... I'm gonna wait for a sale, though. backlogggg

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really? Braid opinions again?

Heres mine: It is exactly average.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Really? Braid opinions again?

Heres mine: It is exactly average.

Limed for please leave Braid the fuck alone people. It's a good game that's usually on sale: if you hate then it at least you aren't paying too much for it.

Next topic.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you want a puzzle game where you're not forced into specific solutions, Trine.

It's a puzzle platformer, but it's just breathtaking.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Good point Figgy, Trine was very enjoyable.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I keep seeing people mention this game. I saw it on Steam and it just looked odd.

I guess I'm going to have to try the demo now.

Go now and get it. Anyone who doesn´t try the SpaceChem demo is a dirty commie I say...

Anyway here is an overly complicated solution to the same level on the above post. This is what happens when you advance in the game without knowing some of it´s mechanics. Yay for overly complicated solutions!!!

EDIT: I got Napoleon and started to download it, 2-3 hours later I left to have dinner out and after coming back I can barely see the the green on the steam symbol, not sure it will be ready when I return from work tommorrow. So another yay, for 1Mbps connections!

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, played through the tutorial and a few levels.

It's pretty good.

Unfortunately I don't have $15 to swing right now on a puzzle game. :(

Definitely going in my wish list for a sale though.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You guys and your Tetris deconstructions...

...however right they might be...

<.<
    >.>

:whistle:

Jazz on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

As have already been mentioned, Trine and Tetris.

Then there's Bejeweled and let's just lump in every other Bejeweled-inspired or Bejeweled-adjacent game such as Puzzle Quest and Puzzle Fighter and so on and so forth into one game rather than list all fifteen million of them.

Then there are games like Zuma (or Luxor) and Peggle. And maze-navigation games like Super Monkey Ball and Marble Madness. And games like Pipe Dream, or the hacking minigame from Bioshock.

I'd also consider the entire "tower defense" genre to be a form of puzzle game, or at least a hybrid of puzzle and RTS.

I mean, even the fucking Tower Of Hanoi has more than one solution.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In less cranky and possibly older Steam goes price-matching news, Dead Space 2 is now down to $39.99 US.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Only $20 for the official strategy guide!

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As mentioned both Trine and Tetris have rules that must be followed explicitly. Tetris more than Trine, but calling Trine a straight puzzle game is a pretty big stretch. Braid is considerably more of a straight puzzle game given that the platforming is only a means to an end to the extent that you can't lose.

All puzzle games have rules. Those rules cannot be broken. In Tetris you can just decide to turn a square into a circle or get a tetris with vertical lines instead of horizontal. Bejeweled is probably one of the most constrained puzzle games out there.

Of course those aren't even the same type of puzzle games as Braid.

But again, the notion that Braid is somehow different than any other rules based puzzle game is just absurd, and flatly wrong.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    As mentioned both Trine and Tetris have rules that must be followed explicitly. Tetris more than Trine, but calling Trine a straight puzzle game is a pretty big stretch. Braid is considerably more of a straight puzzle game given that the platforming is only a means to an end to the extent that you can't lose.

All puzzle games have rules. Those rules cannot be broken. In Tetris you can just decide to turn a square into a circle or get a tetris with vertical lines instead of horizontal. Bejeweled is probably one of the most constrained puzzle games out there.

Of course those aren't even the same type of puzzle games as Braid.

But again, the notion that Braid is somehow different than any other rules based puzzle game is just absurd, and flatly wrong.

The difference isn't in the rules, it's in the number of possible solutions.

A straight platformer game also has strict rules that the player can never (or rarely, if ever) break and not be punished. There are still, in most of them, at least more than one way to complete each level. Some may be more advantageous or more difficult than others. This is also true for a whole bunch of games that fall under the "puzzle" category.

Compare that to some of the levels in games like Braid, or Portal, or some of the puzzles in the Professor Layton games, or in a whole host of adventure games, where a level can and does have only one solution. If the player cannot figure out that solution, they cannot progress (or complete the level), making them more like riddles.

This is an actual difference in game play. I, for one, really enjoy puzzle games that feature lots of multiple possible solutions for each level or puzzle, and tend to really dislike puzzle (or riddle) games that feature only one possible solution for each level or puzzle.

Feel free to call that wrong and absurd, but it's a notable difference.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

From the pure standpoint of the formal design of the game as a 'game', Braid is no different than any puzzle game based on taking a novel mechanic and exploring it fully. From the standpoint of the shitty pretentious poetry you're forced to read, Braid's "story" sucks. Neither of those are what make Braid special.

What makes Braid different is the way it takes the standard structure of the standard exploration-based puzzle game and uses the actual puzzle mechanics to explore an artistic theme. The "real" storytelling in Braid isn't the stupid books, it's the interplay between the character's metaphorical attempts to alter time and the player's literal manipulations of time.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So if anyone doesn't have a gamepad yet, but it interested in getting one, the 360 controller for computers is going to be in amazon's goldbox at 4PM PDT tomorrow

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yay, have both Homefront (+Metro) and Shogun 2 now. Let's hope it was worth it xD

Pheace on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

From the pure standpoint of the formal design of the game as a 'game', Braid is no different than any puzzle game based on taking a novel mechanic and exploring it fully. From the standpoint of the shitty pretentious poetry you're forced to read, Braid's "story" sucks. Neither of those are what make Braid special.

What makes Braid different is the way it takes the standard structure of the standard exploration-based puzzle game and uses the actual puzzle mechanics to explore an artistic theme. The "real" storytelling in Braid isn't the stupid books, it's the interplay between the character's metaphorical attempts to alter time and the player's literal manipulations of time.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the metaphors in the game related to those stupid books. At first I thought it was because I was too stoopid to figure it out, but eventually I realized it was like trying to read and understand a novel by Ayn Rand: a total waste of time.

(Come to think of it, the pretentious of Braid's plot is actually very similar to Ayn Rand.)

EDIT: That being said, I have to say I really enjoyed Braid just for the game-play and the music. (Similar how to I really enjoyed Atlas Shrugged, so long as I didn't try to think. lol)

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can totally ignore the books if you want to.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is anyone else's "Community" tab/page broken? I click it, and Steam takes me to the "Store" page...

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I'm pretty sure that if this is the last game I am ever allowed to buy, I would be happy.

Can it get more awesome than Nazis resurrecting dinosaurs during WWII and having to battle it out?

An-D on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    An-D wrote: »
    So, I'm pretty sure that if this is the last game I am ever allowed to buy, I would be happy.

Can it get more awesome than Nazis resurrecting dinosaurs during WWII and having to battle it out?

Muahahahaha, best game ever!

The triceratops with a pillbox howdah (last image) is going to keep me smiling all damn day.

Bigity on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Is anyone else's "Community" tab/page broken? I click it, and Steam takes me to the "Store" page...

No problems here. Try double clicking the tab, that should take you to the front page.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    An-D wrote: »

As someone said earlier in the thread, one of the best parts is the description. "Dino D-Day is a frantic, action-packed multiplayer game that transports you to a World War II that should have been."

SteevL on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bionic Commando Rearmed is on gamersgate for for £3.99. Does anyone know if it registers on steam?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Bionic Commando Rearmed is on gamersgate for for £3.99. Does anyone know if it registers on steam?

It does not. In fact, it had been available on other sites for quite a while before it became available on Steam.

Peewi on