As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just another Friday nite at the [chat]house

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    yaaaaay NPR has someone sitting in for Diane Rehm today. I can actually listen to npr.

Man.

NPR has gotten HuffPo levels of absurdity lately.

Love Diane Rehm's show though.

Oh her content is good. But it's a goddamn radio show and her voice grates like a thousand robotic hitlers.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    also yami are you still around? I go to a gym in lyndhurst... it's actually right next to the medieval times

I am still around! Tell me more, please.

well it's small but very friendly. It has actually gotten somewhat more popular lately but we go at peak hours and they have pretty good rates so it makes sense, word is spreading. and we still never have to wait.

it's called VIP fitness. they have pretty much everything I can think of in a gym, but I guess less of each thing due to the size. but honestly I like that it's small.

and the people who work there and everyone I've met there have been nice, and I am the last guy to meet new people in general let alone at a gym. I imagine that's also because it's small so you do see all the people you're working out with.

I like it a lot.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright, I read an article once that was about workplace myths. It was written by somebody semi-famous, I think a major economist, and one of the things he said was a myth was "you don't need to like your boss" and argued that a boss who you like as a person really is something you should look for in a job.

Does this ring any bells to anybody?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Jacob you should have redirected that guy to the New PA TV thread in SE++ and watch him hang himself.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    also yami are you still around? I go to a gym in lyndhurst... it's actually right next to the medieval times

well it's small but very friendly. It has actually gotten somewhat more popular lately but we go at peak hours and they have pretty good rates so it makes sense, word is spreading. and we still never have to wait.

it's called VIP fitness. they have pretty much everything I can think of in a gym, but I guess less of each thing due to the size. but honestly I like that it's small.

and the people who work there and everyone I've met there have been nice, and I am the last guy to meet new people in general let alone at a gym. I imagine that's also because it's small so you do see all the people you're working out with.

I like it a lot.

Sounds pretty good. I've been tossing around the idea of joining a gym but I don't know where to start or what to do and oh geez I'm already psyching myself out again.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    My apartment has a workout room, two pools and a tennis court. I use the workout room and the pools during the summer.

My complex is split into two huge complexes on opposite sides of the road. The other side has the big pool with a tiny kid pool built in, tennis court, dog park, and gym

my side has the fucking playground... and when they built it they took away the doggie bag stations so it wouldn't detract from the playground, so people just mostly stopped picking up dogshit out of protest.

They just rebuilt the run down empty pool on my side, which is nice, and there's a small building over here that used to be a recording studio when the apartments were cheaper, but they gutted that because no one used it and supposedly they're turning it into a gym/yoga studio.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Aw, the PA workplace thread got locked. I was gonna try to take it in a more constructive direction.

Everytime a thread on that pops up I have a strong urge to link one of the threads where it's already been explained to death. Of crouse no forum search so that wouldn't work out so well :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

I like it a lot.
    what kind of working out do you typically do? you've lost a bunch of weight, right?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So apparently Google isn't releasing the source code for Android 3.0?

How long did it take them to go from Best Company to Evilish? 2-3 years?

TL DR on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Aw, the PA workplace thread got locked. I was gonna try to take it in a more constructive direction.

Everytime a thread on that pops up I have a strong urge to link one of the threads where it's already been explained to death. Of crouse no forum search so that wouldn't work out so well :P

Google is surprisingly good at searching the forums.

They've always been evil. Anyone that pays attention to what I do, say, like, etc so they can get in my face at every opportunity to sell me something is evil.

They were born evil.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm at work. I'm sick. But I have to get this fucking shit done. I have a hard time deadline. But I really wanna keel over and die. And Leigh comes home tonight and wanted me to pick her up from the airport. Not sure I'm gonna make it that far.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

http://mashable.com/2011/03/24/honeycomb-androidocalypse/

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Before any potential candidates spoke, I addressed the audience. “If we get the culture right,” I stated, “the economy will be right eventually.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51915.html#ixzz1HdmZeib8

I want to punch this man until the stuffing comes out

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Before any potential candidates spoke, I addressed the audience. “If we get the culture right,” I stated, “the economy will be right eventually.”

In fact, social moderation has certainly contributed to the $14 trillion in national debt.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Thanks!

TL DR on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Oh hey the Anna Nicole Smith opera is on TV tonight.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I like it a lot.

Sounds pretty good. I've been tossing around the idea of joining a gym but I don't know where to start or what to do and oh geez I'm already psyching myself out again.

I think they have a pay by month thing if you want to try it out

Variable on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Google probably locked down Honeycomb to keep people from porting it's better features to phones before they could.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I liked this part
    The three pillars of American exceptionalism are the Judeo-Christian ethic, Western civilization and free-market capitalism. If our U.S. economy is to be strong, these three pillars cannot be separated. Neither can the values of the family and faith coalitions be excluded from the economics debate — they are integral to each other.
    Just general mumbo jumbo without any supportive argument proclaimed as fact.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    desc wrote: »
    Man, having a fitness center at your apartment is the best thing. So much more casual and convenient.

I would love this so much.

I imagine it's pretty rare over there?

I dunno, the only thing I know about California is that everything that's not bolted down has been re-zoned for a Dispensary ;)

Tim, my dispensary that was within walking distance had to move a 15 minute drive away last week. :(

#fwp

And after all that, the two strains I bought didn't even have thc and cbd percentages listed.

Also the ordinances were changed, so no more Bhang chocolate!

Can you believe this nonsense I have to put up with?

desc on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    expensive coach poppy clutch handbag: purchased

I feel both good about the nice thing I have done and kind of gutted by the cost at the same time

Why are you buying a purse?

It's a birthday present for the girl

Admit it, Jacob. You want to look pretty.

I gave up on that fifteen years ago

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Workplace culture is something I'm very interested in, and I think that there's a valid conversation to be had about whether it is important (and how important) that coworkers & employers have compatible personalities. (Outside of simple bland professionalism.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited March 2011
    you guys live in the promised land

Variable on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

In fact, social moderation has certainly contributed to the $14 trillion in national debt.

Man, that entire column is just adrift in its own lack of focus. And you gotta love him dredging on about christian social values when there's a giant picture of Gingrich looming over the story. (A man that is no stranger to sin.)

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    this gestalt is so...unexpected

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Senj! What's up, man? Where have you been?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah it's open as in closed.

Crazy cognitive dissonance flying around the blogosphere over this.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I like it a lot.

I think they have a pay by month thing if you want to try it out

I might give it a go. Some of it hinges on getting IR to go as well, and she's proven resistant to working out in the past.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Urgh. Apple juice and beef jerkey do not mix.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

There's certainly no new ground being broken here. I've heard rhetoric before, that significant costs to society, in the form of social safety net spending for single parents or other family-related problems, have arisen in the last 50 to 60 years because we've been too loose and free with our morals.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Senj! What's up, man? Where have you been?

Mostly just busy working hard, making the wares that are soft

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sparvy wrote: »

I liked this part
    The three pillars of American exceptionalism are the Judeo-Christian ethic, Western civilization and free-market capitalism. If our U.S. economy is to be strong, these three pillars cannot be separated. Neither can the values of the family and faith coalitions be excluded from the economics debate — they are integral to each other.
    Just general mumbo jumbo without any supportive argument proclaimed as fact.

Indeed.

What about 200 years of essentially free economic growth and social mobility gained by means of stealing land from the native americans?

edit: Basicially, I think free market capitalism only "worked" (at least to the extent it did) in the US so long as there was a frontier. The continual pushing back of that frontier (at the expense of native peoples) provided an external source of growth to smooth over the problems inherent in capitalism while at the same time creating and supporting the myth of social mobility that makes the masses support a system so much against their best interests.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    my cat wants a potato chip

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Is that a quote?

Feral on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

she's just gonna sniff it and walk away

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Well the appointment for the cat is tuesday at 4:15. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is going to be completely inconsolable for the next 4 days and a while after that.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Is that a quote?

The PA workplace thread guy had a line in there about homogenous cultures missing out on the "unexpected gestalt".

I was amused by the wording.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

Better than mine. He wants lettuce. And mangos. He'll eat them, too. He also licks the salt off crackers if we let him.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The basement dweller thread warms my heart.

Yeah, there are a few assholes projecting their own insecurities and sexism, but most people seem to be deconstructing the arguments in the linked article calmly and rationally. And there's a lot to deconstruct in that bullshit.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.