As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: I wish there was a word to describe the pleasure I feel in viewing misfortune

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I know what bothered me about last night's episode!

For some reason, I always thought Community was set in or around Los Angeles. I could have sworn them referencing the 405 and downtown and something else in a previous episode. I just always thought of the location as Santa Monica Community College or maybe somewhere in the valley.

I guess I just assumed based on set filming and whatnot. Totally threw me off.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They are in Colorado. You know, the part of Colorado that has such nice weather that you can walk around shirtless in December and need fake snow for your Not-Christmas display

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, sometimes I think happy/excited jeff is played for laughs more then it is for "hey look how he is feeling."

Its like his goldblooming. Its not meant to be too "real".

Where as angry jeff is supposed to be a bit more serious. So its hard to tell if he needs to work on his happy acting, or if hes exagerating for laughs.

Either way, hes pretty fantastic for a lead on a Sitcom. The entire cast is. Especially with the fact they are only in season 2. Go back and watch seasons 1 and 2 of all the top sitcoms. Especially stuff like Friends/Seinfeld. Seinfeld acting never got that good, but by the end the Friends cast had their characters down. This cast is streets ahead of them.

Then look at crap like Two and a Half men, or to Big Bang Theory and nothing ever comes off as natural.

30 Rock and Modern Family are the only other shows I can recall which nailed the acting so quick.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    KweliKweli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

For some reason, I always thought Community was set in or around Los Angeles. I could have sworn them referencing the 405 and downtown and something else in a previous episode. I just always thought of the location as Santa Monica Community College or maybe somewhere in the valley.

That actually bothered you?

Kweli on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kweli wrote: »

Well, I mean, mosquitos bother me too, but we don't have a forum for bug bites, so...gonna roll with this.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ha.

Dan Harmon tweeted the following to Bill Lawrence (Scrubs/Cougar town) after Lawrence tweeted about remaking Scrubs with bears.
    Do SCRUBS in a community college. Guaranteed 1.7

Kyougu on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The first part of the Jeff/Abed conversation might be my favourite moment of the series so far. The whole Cougar Town story was brilliant. Brilliant. And I could totally see an experience like that unraveling Abed.

Did anyone else get a weird feeling of foreboding upon seeing Abed act normal? For a bit at the beginning I thought the episode was going to turn into The Game.

Man, now I really want them to do an episode that's basically The Game.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Like... The Most Dangerous Game? Because if anyone is going to hunt man for sport, its going to be Pierce.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Most Dangerous Mind, wherein Russel Crowe lures himself to a private woodland estate, then hunts and kills his schizophrenic delusions.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Like... The Most Dangerous Game? Because if anyone is going to hunt man for sport, its going to be Pierce.

No, the David Fincher movie The Game.

...who's birthday is next?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Most Dangerous Mind, wherein Russel Crowe lures himself to a private woodland estate, then hunts and kills his schizophrenic delusions.
    And it's sequel, The Most Dangerous Minds, where Michelle Pfeiffer has to fend off wave after wave of inner city youth.

(The movie you described actually exists. It's called Identity with John Cusack. OOPS, SPOILERS.)

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    smeej wrote: »
    And it's sequel, The Most Dangerous Minds, where Michelle Pfeiffer has to fend off wave after wave of inner city youth.

(The movie you described actually exists. It's called Identity with John Cusack. OOPS, SPOILERS.)

God, you're such a Britta.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Surprised no one else has mentioned it, so maybe it's just me, but Alison Brie was insufferably cute in that wig.

Also Pierce as the gimp walking into that restaurant was absolutely streets ahead.

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

God, you're such a Britta.

Heck yeah, give me some fivesies!

smeej on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    smeej on
  • Options
    AstargothAstargoth regular
    edited March 2011
    I really liked this episode. While not exactly hilarious it was very well done. Part of it I think, is that it's about Jeff and Abed - my two favorite characters in the entire show. The other part was that I bought it hook, line and sinker. I genuinly believed that Abed has changed, and seeing the turnaround was absolutely hilarious.

I really hope the Britta sucks side plot is going somewhere - I really like Britta, and I would like her to win sometimes. She's anoying and needlesly self rightous but seeing get beaten around by everyone over and over againg is getting old.

Astargoth on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I keep forgetting that Ayoade directed this episode, nice work by him

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I didn't realize that. Community is getting classy.

smeej on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Astargoth wrote: »
    I really hope the Britta sucks side plot is going somewhere - I really like Britta, and I would like her to win sometimes. She's anoying and needlesly self rightous but seeing get beaten around by everyone over and over againg is getting old.

I just realized Britta working at a 50's diner, the height of white middle class America reveling in patriotism, probably drives her crazy. She probably picks verbal fights with the customers for thinking they went there simply because they don't like the modern era, etc.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Isn't that what the diner's owner said the customers basically do?

smeej on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    you're right, so even more irony for Britta.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you're like the at&t of people!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haha oh my god the little Indian girl story.
    And honestly, once the shame and the fear wore off... I'm just glad they thought I was pretty.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

That double does look scary similar to him.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Well, I mean, mosquitos bother me too, but we don't have a forum for bug bites, so...gonna roll with this.
    I thought Greendale was supposed to be n Colorado? I guess they abandoned that when they realized there would never be snow.

smeej on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I thought Greendale was supposed to be n Colorado? I guess they abandoned that when they realized there would never be snow.

I thought they solidified it being in Colorado this season.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's in Colorado, yes.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really liked this episode. While not exactly hilarious it was very well done. Part of it I think, is that it's about Jeff and Abed - my two favorite characters in the entire show. The other part was that I bought it hook, line and sinker. I genuinly believed that Abed has changed, and seeing the turnaround was absolutely hilarious.

You thought that Abed went though a complete 180 character change off camera in reaction to something that happened on the set of a different show?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »
    I keep forgetting that Ayoade directed this episode, nice work by him

Is Ayoade related to Don Glover?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You thought that Abed went though a complete 180 character change off camera in reaction to something that happened on the set of a different show?

Why, that would be almost as impossible as him going completely insane off camera in reaction to reading a letter from his mom.

Cantide on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love how you can see the "breaking point" in the skit Abed puts on. I think its right after Jeff says something along the lines of "this is great, conversation!"

I liked this episode a lot and I'm curious to watch a Dinner with Andre now.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

That double does look scary similar to him.

Funny thing is that on the season 1 commentary they talk about Chevy having a double who's been with him for years (he's the Pierce in Abed's Community College Chronicles).

So I guess this new guy replaced him after he was killed being thrown into a dumpster (I knew it wasn't a dummy!).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I did. Completely.
    That's how effective it was.

I think we're not supposed to know that it's a riff on My Dinner with Andre.
    It was executed so well that it makes the twists in the Professor Professorson look like amateur hour.
    This writing staff should get raises.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This episode was freaking brilliant.

The first part when Abed was talking about Cougar Town was simply amazing.

Anyone have a clip of that?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fmz65 wrote: »
    I love how you can see the "breaking point" in the skit Abed puts on. I think its right after Jeff says something along the lines of "this is great, conversation!"

Abed's eyes start bugging out when Jeff talks about the phone sex. Then, when Jeff asks if he can tell Abed something he's never told anyone before, Abed says, "Yes," in a really awkward way, like he knows he's in over his head. It was noticeable enough to catch on the first viewing, but subtle enough that I didn't realize he'd previously just been "in character."

Anyway, totally great episode. I'm really pleased with Joel McHale's ability to sell Jeff's suave demeanor, and Jeff's more revealing moments.

And I loved how Abed described living in Cougar Town, playing soccer for Cougar Town High, etc.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Abed's eyes start bugging out when Jeff talks about the phone sex. Then, when Jeff asks if he can tell Abed something he's never told anyone before, Abed says, "Yes," in a really awkward way, like he knows he's in over his head. It was noticeable enough to catch on the first viewing, but subtle enough that I didn't realize he'd previously just been "in character."

Anyway, totally great episode. I'm really pleased with Joel McHale's ability to sell Jeff's suave demeanor, and Jeff's more revealing moments.

And I loved how Abed described living in Cougar Town, playing soccer for Cougar Town High, etc.

See, I interpreted Abed's reactions more as him realizing that holy shit, "real" conversations are kind of terrifying and maybe he was better off being who he was before.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

See, I interpreted Abed's reactions more as him realizing that holy shit, "real" conversations are kind of terrifying and maybe he was better off being who he was before.

I saw his eyes bugging out and I knew he was about to pop like a weasel.

Mim on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The first time around that's what I thought, but once you watch it the second time its much easier to see he's breaking character.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It strikes me as really cool how self aware Abed is, but one thing I have to ask: I thought Abed (and Troy) weren't hanging out with Jeff a lot lately, because they knew too much about his sexual practices? Abed made it seem like Jeff had been avoiding them.

Mim on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This episode was freaking brilliant.

The first part when Abed was talking about Cougar Town was simply amazing.

Anyone have a clip of that?

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7iB3sPYf8

Centipede Damascus on