As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stan Lee presents: [chat]

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I could probably name 100 bands I really like. Maybe 200 if I was pushed. I couldn't do it for movies though.
    1. Alcest
    2. Amesoeurs
    3. Agalloch
    4. Absu
    5. Abigor
    6. At The Gates
    7. Alexisonfire
    8. Altar Of Plagues
    9. Anathema
    10. Angelcorpse
    11. AFI
    12. Amon Amarth
    13. Accept
    14. Anaal Nathrakh
    15. Arch Enemy
    16. Bacchus
    17. Bathory
    18. Bob Dylan
    19. Bad Religion
    20. Burzum
    21. Blackfield
    22. Behemoth
    23. Black Sabbath
    24. Buckcherry
    25. Crystal Castles
    26. Converge
    27. Cannibal Corpse
    28. Cut Copy
    29. Circle Takes The Square
    30. Carcass
    31. Dream Theater
    32. Decayor
    33. Darkthrone
    34. Despised Icon
    35. Dio
    36. Death
    37. Ensiferum
    38. Explosions In The Sky
    39. Entombed
    40. Enslaved
    41. Elliott Smith
    42. For Ruin
    43. Gorgoroth
    44. Gojira
    45. God Is An Astronaut
    46. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    47. Have Heart
    48. Haunted
    49. Iron Maiden
    50. Judas Priest
    51. Joy Needs Eternity
    52. Kataonia
    53. Lifelover
    54. Lantlos
    55. Metallica
    56. Megadeth
    57. Mastodon
    58. Machine Head
    59. Mayhem
    60. My Dying Bride
    61. Motorhead
    62. Marduk
    63. Nadja
    64. Nirvana
    65. Neurosis
    66. Napalm Death
    67. Opeth
    68. Overoth
    69. Orchid
    70. The Ocean
    71. Protest The Hero
    72. Porcupine Tree
    73. Queensryche
    74. Queen
    75. Queens of the Stone Age
    76. Rancid
    77. RHCP
    78. Raconteurs
    79. Regina Spektor
    80. Rainbow
    81. Say Anything
    82. Sitkh
    83. Saetia
    84. Stormwarrior
    85. Trivium
    86. Tenacious D
    87. Ulver
    88. Virus
    89. The Vines
    90. Within Temptation
    91. Warpath
    92. Woundism
    93. Wormrot
    94. Xasthur
    95. Yngwie Maalmsteen (Sp?)
    96. Yppah
    97. Zutons

off the top of my head without looking at WMP. I'm probably forgetting some really obvious things

The Beatles, for instance. They basically invented music.

I said bands I like.

edit: oh yeah, bands I like who invented music, Zepp and Floyd.

Listen, bro. The Beatles are like...there's like a gene and we all have it and it's the liking-Beatles gene and if you deny it you deny your very humanity.

I'd rather listen to Rebecca Black

or Coldplay

or Radiohead

in that order

Now you're just trolling. Rebecca Black before Radiohead? Come on. You can't possibly hate yourself that much.

I mean I was trolling you too, but the difference here is that I'm a level 80 warrior troll that will bash your face out with full high end warrior gear and you're just a level 12 scrappy troll running around the swamp killing fish-men for coppers trying to level up to learn how to be a better troll. Tsk, tsk.

I dunno, man.

Rebecca Black is terrible in an amusing sort of way.

Radiohead is terrible in a...terrible sort of way.

I can see it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I go by the rule: if it isn't something I would feel comfortable saying in front of my Mom, then I am not going to say it in public.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    to be fair, i have had a ton of conservatives rudely get up in my face with their bullshit too.

i don't like it from either side of the political spectrum, but i don't think liberals really have a lock on it.

I didn't mean to imply that

just that being a conservative, the militant conservatives do not bother me as much

although i will still look at them from time to time and go "stop being such dicks"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I watched a video of dead space

that stuff is so gruesome

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    I go by the rule: if it isn't something I would feel comfortable saying in front of my Mom, then I am not going to say it in public.

o_O

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Play them both at the same time if you want an Elvis/Beatles colab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKp0V6lJHpk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGQgd2PT4mw

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In Last.fm's top 20 artists list, there are four bands I like and Nirvana are the only one of those bands where I enjoy all of their albums.

God, Last.fm's lists are terrible. SOAD have more plays than Zepp? I hate people.

In fairness most Zepp fans probably don't know how to work a computer.

Every 13 year old who's ever picked up a guitar can play Stairway.

Tav on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will abide by whatever reasonable social expectations there are in the people around me, but I would never deliberately seek out a friendship with a person who couldn't handle frank discussions of sex and pooping. And if they wanted to talk about pooping during sex, I would really want to know what's the deal with that because I think it's just gross.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

o_O

Would you talk about the kinky sex you had with some random chick/dude you picked up last night in front of your Mom?

I know I wouldn't.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I could probably name 100 bands I really like. Maybe 200 if I was pushed. I couldn't do it for movies though.
    1. Alcest
    2. Amesoeurs
    3. Agalloch
    4. Absu
    5. Abigor
    6. At The Gates
    7. Alexisonfire
    8. Altar Of Plagues
    9. Anathema
    10. Angelcorpse
    11. AFI
    12. Amon Amarth
    13. Accept
    14. Anaal Nathrakh
    15. Arch Enemy
    16. Bacchus
    17. Bathory
    18. Bob Dylan
    19. Bad Religion
    20. Burzum
    21. Blackfield
    22. Behemoth
    23. Black Sabbath
    24. Buckcherry
    25. Crystal Castles
    26. Converge
    27. Cannibal Corpse
    28. Cut Copy
    29. Circle Takes The Square
    30. Carcass
    31. Dream Theater
    32. Decayor
    33. Darkthrone
    34. Despised Icon
    35. Dio
    36. Death
    37. Ensiferum
    38. Explosions In The Sky
    39. Entombed
    40. Enslaved
    41. Elliott Smith
    42. For Ruin
    43. Gorgoroth
    44. Gojira
    45. God Is An Astronaut
    46. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    47. Have Heart
    48. Haunted
    49. Iron Maiden
    50. Judas Priest
    51. Joy Needs Eternity
    52. Kataonia
    53. Lifelover
    54. Lantlos
    55. Metallica
    56. Megadeth
    57. Mastodon
    58. Machine Head
    59. Mayhem
    60. My Dying Bride
    61. Motorhead
    62. Marduk
    63. Nadja
    64. Nirvana
    65. Neurosis
    66. Napalm Death
    67. Opeth
    68. Overoth
    69. Orchid
    70. The Ocean
    71. Protest The Hero
    72. Porcupine Tree
    73. Queensryche
    74. Queen
    75. Queens of the Stone Age
    76. Rancid
    77. RHCP
    78. Raconteurs
    79. Regina Spektor
    80. Rainbow
    81. Say Anything
    82. Sitkh
    83. Saetia
    84. Stormwarrior
    85. Trivium
    86. Tenacious D
    87. Ulver
    88. Virus
    89. The Vines
    90. Within Temptation
    91. Warpath
    92. Woundism
    93. Wormrot
    94. Xasthur
    95. Yngwie Maalmsteen (Sp?)
    96. Yppah
    97. Zutons

off the top of my head without looking at WMP. I'm probably forgetting some really obvious things

The Beatles, for instance. They basically invented music.

I said bands I like.

edit: oh yeah, bands I like who invented music, Zepp and Floyd.

Listen, bro. The Beatles are like...there's like a gene and we all have it and it's the liking-Beatles gene and if you deny it you deny your very humanity.

I'd rather listen to Rebecca Black

or Coldplay

or Radiohead

in that order

Now you're just trolling. Rebecca Black before Radiohead? Come on. You can't possibly hate yourself that much.

I mean I was trolling you too, but the difference here is that I'm a level 80 warrior troll that will bash your face out with full high end warrior gear and you're just a level 12 scrappy troll running around the swamp killing fish-men for coppers trying to level up to learn how to be a better troll. Tsk, tsk.

I dunno, man.

Rebecca Black is terrible in an amusing sort of way.

Radiohead is terrible in a...terrible sort of way.

I can see it.

<3

Tav on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lunch is acquired.

That should give me some time off now.

24 hour workday still a possibility.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I like Radiohead. A lot.

come at me bro

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

o_O

Yeah, I are you unusually open with your mom or something?

There are many things I'd feel comfortable sharing with a complete stranger, but not my mother.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    like, the fundamental disconnect here isn't whether people are comfortable talking about sex- it's whether people have the social awareness (rooted in basic empathy, by the way, liberals) to respect the feelings of others

and if you can't observe that a friend is uncomfortable, or worse observe it and pounce on it to further your 'point'... you're the regressive, not him

I just put this under the "dont be a dick" umbrella

If someone doesn't want to talk about something, or be around something, or whatever, the polite thing is to not do that thing

for some, furthering their cause is far more important than observing basic social niceties.

sort of? I mean you know I agree with you about most of this but if someone is really freaked out about, say, two dudes on the other side of the restaurant holding hands then they are kind of a contemptible coward

i don't really see that as the same thing. holding hands or basic affectionate gestures are appropriate to polite society, and i would include gay dudes holding hands in public as being under that umbrella.

talking explicitly about sexual acts or encounters in mixed company is inappropriate and disrespectful whether you're straight or gay or a swinger or whatever else.

Will, the problem is in the phrase "social niceties," which is ambiguous and doesn't have a universal definition. I mean, what is a social nicety to you is not necessarily a social nicety to someone else, and you might be personally accepting of some public behaviors that others might not - I guarantee you there are some people that find even holding hands in public to be beyond the pale.

I mean, you can only really judge by your own compass, but those compasses are not necessarily synchronized among all of society.

edit: In other words, you can't please everyone. Shouldn't really try to. Though I would agree there are some universal limits. You shouldn't bend your girlfriend over your Applebee's booth and start fucking her in front of everyone else, for instance. I think we can all agree on that. (Unless she's really hot.)

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    like, the fundamental disconnect here isn't whether people are comfortable talking about sex- it's whether people have the social awareness (rooted in basic empathy, by the way, liberals) to respect the feelings of others

and if you can't observe that a friend is uncomfortable, or worse observe it and pounce on it to further your 'point'... you're the regressive, not him

If someone doesn't want to talk about something, or be around something, or whatever, the polite thing is to not do that thing

for some, furthering their cause is far more important than observing basic social niceties.

sort of? I mean you know I agree with you about most of this but if someone is really freaked out about, say, two dudes on the other side of the restaurant holding hands then they are kind of a contemptible coward

I don't want to watch two dudes make out in public just as much as i don't want to watch a guy and a girl make out in public

I guess there are degrees. I don't like seeing people like groping and dry-humping, but I don't really count passionate kisses in that category.

And those two people are focused on each other, they're not talking to the hypothetical observer.

If I do see a dude and a girl climbing all over each other, I might be like jeez but I'm not going to assume they're being in my face with some sort of statement.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    actually, the "i just banged that chick" stuff is probably the thing that i hate most about bros

well, that and the polo shirts

and shorts

and shitty beer

actually i guess i don't really care for bros

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011

i don't really see that as the same thing. holding hands or basic affectionate gestures are appropriate to polite society, and i would include gay dudes holding hands in public as being under that umbrella.

I agree but I think it illustrates that what makes an observer uncomfortable is not always the best barometer. It is a useful guideline, certainly, but it can't be the end-all be-all.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I do not do this.

You guys gave me shit about it before.

But I figure I still have a lot of growing up to do before I start caring, so eat it.

Winky on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will abide by whatever reasonable social expectations there are in the people around me, but I would never deliberately seek out a friendship with a person who couldn't handle frank discussions of sex and pooping. And if they wanted to talk about pooping during sex, I would really want to know what's the deal with that because I think it's just gross.

The deal with that is child abuse, usually.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

o_O

There are many things I'd feel comfortable sharing with a complete stranger, but not my mother.

I meant public, like on the bus, in a restaurant, someplace where other people who are not part of the conversation are likely to overhear.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    how do people not like radiohead

it makes no sense

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

it makes no sense

"it's popular" hate

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

o_O

Would you talk about the kinky sex you had with some random chick/dude you picked up last night in front of your Mom?

I know I wouldn't.

Sure, there's a lot I wouldn't talk to my mom about, but that doesn't overlap what I would talk about in public. I wouldn't talk about atheism with a Priest, or where to find a good burger with a bunch of vegetarians, but I'd discuss both in public -- or a public forum, such as what this place is.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    actually, the "i just banged that chick" stuff is probably the thing that i hate most about bros

and shorts

and shitty beer

I was a frat guy in college, and I don't drink beer or wear shorts and I only wear polo shirts because that's the sort of shit they want me to wear at work (never wore them during college)!

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    on bus: "I got soooooo drunk brah, was insane"
    with mom: "I had a nice quiet night with friends"

Tav on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In Last.fm's top 20 artists list, there are four bands I like and Nirvana are the only one of those bands where I enjoy all of their albums.

God, Last.fm's lists are terrible. SOAD have more plays than Zepp? I hate people.

Maybe 20 years ago... in fantasy land. There are tons of guys who pick up guitars and none of it has anything to do with Led Zeppelin or any band that was around before the 90s.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ugh, got murdered in my de

fuuuuuuuuuck

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Winky wrote: »

I do not do this.

You guys gave me shit about it before.

But I figure I still have a lot of growing up to do before I start caring, so eat it.

I don't know if I really consider [chat] public, what with the whole anonymity thing and all.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

and shorts

and shitty beer

<3

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

o_O

Hell, my mom was basically my confidant if anyone in my family ever was, and there are dozens of things I would never have told her that I wouldn't mind telling someone outside of my family, or even outside of my friends. It's not even a matter of embarrassment, either, there are just some things a mother (either parent, really) doesn't need to know.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

and shorts

and shitty beer

I was a frat guy in college, and I don't drink beer or wear shorts and I only wear polo shirts because that's the sort of shit they want me to wear at work (never wore them during college)!

I thought we established the other day that fratboys and bros were not the same thing.

Hence the term fratbro.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i have actually not listened to one second of king of limbs yet

is the sound similar to in rainbows or what

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the only time I ever discussed sex with my mom was in high school when every year or so she'd stop the car, sigh, look over at me and tell me that I could tell her if I was gay, she wouldn't mind

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    let's be clear

every thirteen year old thinks they can play stairway, but they usually fuck up the articulation, they almost all mess up the slide at the end of the intro... and none of them know anything past the first minute of the song

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Maybe 20 years ago... in fantasy land. There are tons of guys who pick up guitars and none of it has anything to do with Led Zeppelin or any band that was around before the 90s.

Might just be a Dublin thing then. Every 13 year old skater dude with scraggly hair that I've met over the last like, 10 years could play Stairway and Nothing Else Matters

Tav on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

it makes no sense

Local radio has over played every radiohead song worth playing so now when I hear the first few seconds of said Radiohead songs my thought process goes like this: Oh, I like this song, (fraction of a second later) this one again? Ugh."

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Poo is gross. It is way TMI. Gross bodily functions aren't a thing that needs to be discussed. Yeah, everybody poops, I don't need a reminder.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

and shorts

and shitty beer

Scuse me, brah.
    Polo shirts are fucking awesome. They have way more social utility than any other aricle of nipple covering clothing.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    japan wrote: »

and shorts

and shitty beer

I thought we established the other day that fratboys and bros were not the same thing.

Hence the term fratbro.

Did we? Okay. I mostly hate people putting all frat guys under the same umbrella.

I mean, the thing that convinced me to rush my fraternity was a DotA LAN party!

Solomaxwell6 on
This discussion has been closed.