As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

emergency [chat]

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    so is now a good time to get a kindle or is there something better coming out right around the corner?
    You should check out the Nook Color. The Wall Street Journal had a great column about it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    if you had said only "yes," i would have understood your stance. but if you're an atheist, why would you continue to believe in the power of those sacraments to define a person? it seems to me that believing the B/E/C renders you ineffably Catholic requires a belief in some supernatural power that marks a person through ritual.

if a Catholic who believes the sacraments have supernatural power says that anyone who is baptized etc. is a catholic forever, that seems consistent to me. otherwise i'm not sure what the basis of the definition is.

Why does there need to be a supernatural element? The cultural/social elements seem strong enough on the face of it.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    What is wrong with hating on people for their religious beliefs, if their religious beliefs are retarded, hurtful, or wrong?

Why are "religious beliefs" a protected class of beliefs? We can hate on people for having wrong, hurtful, or retarded opinions on any other matter.

There's a gigantic, canyon-wide difference between criticizing someone for their actual, professed beliefs and hating on someone who self-identifies as a member of a religious group for doing so yet not having the beliefs that you arbitrarily demand they must have in order to consider themselves part of that religious group.
    I'm not doing the latter.

Not you, personally, but every single religious discussion in D&D is always chock full to the fucking rafters of people doing the latter while claiming they're only doing the former.

At this point it's the snarky atheist version of "when did you stop beating your wife?" and signals to me that the poster involved is far more interested in scoring enough cheap "people of faith are either evil or stupid" points to earn a Dawkins bobblehead than actually having any rational discussion.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    so is now a good time to get a kindle or is there something better coming out right around the corner?

Yeah. I hear it's called paper. It's awesome.

have you ever had to move? physical books greatly lose their charm when you've moved 3 times in 4 years and they compose 80% by weight of your possessions.

I mean, I really love them. I love reading, looking at them, keeping them in great shape, etc. I kind of have a collector's mentality. But I'm ready to move on for practical reasons. The amount of space they consume is ridiculous, and as I mentioned previously, they're a bitch to move.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You are making so little sense it is hurting my brain. I'm developing brain problems now.

I am not a Catholic. I could give a shit less what the Catholic church considers me. If you agree with the Catholic church in their assessment of you as still, in some sense, Catholic, you are infinitely more a Catholic than I will ever be until the day I die.

Do not lump me in with you.

w/e

Sure let's go with that.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    i used to really go after people for their religious beliefs when i was young. i'd get really self-righteous about their stupid and harmful beliefs etc.

i don't really do that anymore. i guess i don't really see it as productive. i don't think that my adopting that tone has ever changed anyone's mind. mostly, it just makes the person in question think that i'm a confrontational asshole and maybe that all atheists are assholes.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    here's the thing:

when the Church says "you're a Catholic," referring to rituals and catechisms and dogma that they believe/create, it is different from when a layperson says "you're a Catholic," because they don't necessarily believe all that Church-based information

usually it does not refer to your spiritual nature, it refers to what category of beliefs you hold. this category is defined through the stance of the Catholic church, since that is the nature of Catholicism - belief organized through the institution.

if you therefore say that you're Catholic, but don't agree with the Catholic church on most issues, then for this person you have contradicted yourself, because they don't believe in or care about what the Church says about what makes a person a Catholic.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You should check out the Nook Color. The Wall Street Journal had a great column about it.

the nook color isn't e-ink though.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Catholic Mike

Never not bein' all Catholic and stuff

TL DR on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    if you therefore say that you're Catholic, but don't agree with the Catholic church on most issues, then for this person you have contradicted yourself, because they don't believe in or care about what the Church says about what makes a person a Catholic.
    knocked it out of the park

MikeMan on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would be a terrible Catholic.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

That kinda sucks if all a person is looking for is an e-reader. Especially since it doesn't have e-ink.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Catholic Mike

Never not bein' all Catholic and stuff
    i will poop on you

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i used to really go after people for their religious beliefs when i was young. i'd get really self-righteous about their stupid and harmful beliefs etc.

i don't really do that anymore. i guess i don't really see it as productive. i don't think that my adopting that tone has ever changed anyone's mind. mostly, it just makes the person in question think that i'm a confrontational asshole and maybe that all atheists are assholes.

in spite of being considered something of a jerk at times (shocking, I know), i've never been confrontational on stuff like that. nothings gained from it and it's needlessly antagonistic.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

You would totally have a Hamburger on Good Friday.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    is there going to be a [chat] schism

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think you're out of line here. Catholicism is about a belief and about living to a standard, not stepping in line with how society expects.
    So, you're of the hipster branch of Catholicism? You're Catholic, but only ironically?

Like, seriously, it's not me who says you can't be Catholic and pro-choice; it's the fucking Catholic Church. Don't believe me? Read on.

You're assuming I care what the Church thinks.

if you don't care what the Church thinks, why do you call yourself a Catholic, and what makes a person a Catholic (if not agreeing with the Church)?

Elldren said it's the sacraments, but if you don't agree with the Catholic church, then you don't agree with their dogma on the sacraments, so what is the defining characteristic?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have a Nook, but if I had to do it again, I would probably get a Kindle.

Seems to be fairing better market wise.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Adventures of TLCCOTTAKAH&B and Catholic Mike: Now with more poop

TL DR on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2011

have you ever had to move? physical books greatly lose their charm when you've moved 3 times in 4 years and they compose 80% by weight of your possessions.

I mean, I really love them. I love reading, looking at them, keeping them in great shape, etc. I kind of have a collector's mentality. But I'm ready to move on for practical reasons. The amount of space they consume is ridiculous, and as I mentioned previously, they're a bitch to move.

I definitely, once I have the werewithal, am planning to ditch all of my library that can be gotten on ereader except for the really important physical objects like the hardcover first editions and the signed copies and so forth.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I fear for the world without paper.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yeah. I'm happy enough with mine, but the screen on the bottom's pointless and just serves as a method of draining my battery.

Quid on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

Got 95 theses to hammer into my monitor.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    knocked it out of the park

my caveat is that if you do believe in the Church's theological stance, like the sacraments making you Catholic, but you disagree with them on say gay marriage or abortion, you're still a Catholic.

but if you disagree with them on everything and the only thing you agree on is that sacraments make people Catholic, that's weird, to me.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

You would totally have a Hamburger on Good Friday.

Exactly.

I don't like fish.

Therefore, I would be a terrible Catholic.

I do take the Holy Week off every year though...

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    here's the thing:

when the Church says "you're a Catholic," referring to rituals and catechisms and dogma that they believe/create, it is different from when a layperson says "you're a Catholic," because they don't necessarily believe all that Church-based information

usually it does not refer to your spiritual nature, it refers to what category of beliefs you hold. this category is defined through the stance of the Catholic church, since that is the nature of Catholicism - belief organized through the institution.

Why are the positions always "I don't care what the church thinks about anything" and "I believe in everything the church says, even stuff that isn't pronounced ex-cathedra"

Seems like a false dichotomy.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2011

but if you disagree with them on everything and the only thing you agree on is that sacraments make people Catholic, that's pretty dumb, to me.
    fixed for my stance

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

I definitely, once I have the werewithal, am planning to ditch all of my library that can be gotten on ereader except for the really important physical objects like the hardcover first editions and the signed copies and so forth.
    When I moved to Seattle, I got rid of all but a couple of my books.

Best idea I ever had. Seriously, it's so awesome not having all that crap; you won't read 95% of them ever again, so they're just taking up way too much room. Get rid of all the books you can.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I agree with everyone

Elendil on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think you're out of line here. Catholicism is about a belief and about living to a standard, not stepping in line with how society expects.
    So, you're of the hipster branch of Catholicism? You're Catholic, but only ironically?

Like, seriously, it's not me who says you can't be Catholic and pro-choice; it's the fucking Catholic Church. Don't believe me? Read on.

if you don't care what the Church thinks, why do you call yourself a Catholic, and what makes a person a Catholic (if not agreeing with the Church)?

Elldren said it's the sacraments, but if you don't agree with the Catholic church, then you don't agree with their dogma on the sacraments, so what is the defining characteristic?

As I said, belief and personal standards. That's just me. I don't entirely disagree with the Catholic Church, but I do disagree with their short-sighted views on acceptance and tolerance; or lack thereof.

And yes; I primarily disagree with them regarding things like gay rights and abortion.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    ow motheFUVCK I have bitten on this same spot in my mouth like three times already

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

brb nailin shit to a church door

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Amazon KO'ed Borders and I think B&N is in some danger as well, even though they did realize that e-readers are a big deal.

Also, a couple of blockbusters are closing down around here and their closing banners read, "Store closing. This location only!" Kind of re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic there, blockbuster. and pretty wishful thinking. They were retarded and sluggish in their reaction to Netflix.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Except we're talking about membership in (essentially) a community or organization, so using the actual membership rules of that community or organization makes a whole lot more sense than using the rules some random dude on the internet makes up in order to tell someone else how stupid they are.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    here's the thing:

Why are the positions always "I don't care what the church thinks about anything" and "I believe in everything the church says, even stuff that isn't pronounced ex-cathedra"

Seems like a false dichotomy.
    Could you explain what makes this one thing so much different from pretty much every other thing the Church says?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm keeping my library for when I have girls over

Elendil on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

George Lucas gonna sue somebody.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

what about your comics and graphic novels?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

but if you disagree with them on everything and the only thing you agree on is that sacraments make people Catholic, that's pretty dumb, to me.
    fixed for my stance

I guess I'm pretty dumb then
    not the only thing, but still

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

When I moved to Seattle, I got rid of all but a couple of my books.

Best idea I ever had. Seriously, it's so awesome not having all that crap; you won't read 95% of them ever again, so they're just taking up way too much room. Get rid of all the books you can.

Hell. Why not burn them?

WMain00 on
This discussion has been closed.