As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

emergency [chat]

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Sup Dudes something told me I was supposed to check the chat thread right now.
    How goes the BYU bullshit, Brian?

Gotten any calls from MSNBC, or is your 15 minutes up?

It's over, thankfully.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    well i just found out that a guy i had really connected with back in high school died last year, of cancer

he was 25

fuck.
    One of my best friends in HS died unexpectedly the year after graduation of a heart condition that no one knew about in a pool.

I felt kind of the same way.
    This came up in the bullying thread, but I had found out a year or two ago that a bully who tormented me in middle school was shot, and my first response was "Did he die?"
    I found out that my fifth-grade teacher who was a complete fucking cunt died of cancer a few years ago, and my reaction was "couldn't have happened to a more deserving person."

Terrible people really do deserve to die. It's a shame it doesn't happen more often. To be fair, though, I think pretty much everybody is a terrible person in Middle School.

Eh, I wish everyone a happy life. Hitler, Phelps, I don't discriminate. If Hitler died happy, I would be happier.

Loren, did you have a good school experience in K-12? I'm curious, because, as raised in the bullying thread, there is a gulf between those who were victims of violence in their formative years and those who were not, and how they interpret violence to to bad people today. For example, when viewing the infamous Australian Bully Revenge video, those who were bullied felt the bully got what he deserved, while those who were not, felt that the victim shouldn't have done anything or if he should have, he acted too severely.

I had a shitty public school teacher in 2nd grade, which led to me being homeschooled via my parents just letting me run amok in their bookstore from grades 3-6, charter schools 7-10, then regular public high school for the last bit. I was never bullied, but I did get punched in the face when I was in first or second grade by some other kid for a reason I can't recall.

I rarely even get a reflexive thrill from bad people getting "what they deserve" any more, but I think that's more of the ideology that I've been refining for the past four or so years than anything directly related to k-12, as I used to very much wish suffering on some people.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    the ballet last night was a little avant-garde for my tastes. what was good was that the choreographer allowed the ladies to do a lot more dynamic, exciting athletic stuff than most ballets do. on the down-side, there was a lot of incorporation of, like, pop-and-lock and mime techniques. also, there was cryptic voice acting from time to time and some of the acts were kind of unsettling and grotesque.

also, the music selection was strange. two of the major musical pieces sounded like almost parodies on that famous albinoni canon and pachabel's canon. and then they used some vivaldi and this three minute transitional piece from the nutcracker that they just played on loop.

i guess i'm not really studied enough in ballet for cutting-edge choreography to really make much sense to me or be especially appealing.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »
    i was bullied pretty hard growing up, and that video just makes me sad

i don't blame the kid or anything but i can't be happy for him. it's such a shitty situation.
    Yeah, I know the feeling. I think most of us have probably been there in one way or another.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's over, thankfully.
    I don't suppose you got any job offers out of it?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It's over, thankfully.
    I don't suppose you got any job offers out of it?

I got a few offers to work for campus custodial...but I didn't want to wake up at 4 AM.

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, that bullying video...

That kid acted with precisely the right amount of force. Enough to make the fucker hitting him think twice about ever doing it again, but not enough to do any permanent damage. I mean, he totally could have gotten down on the ground and started beating the shit out of the kid, or kicked him while he was down, but he didn't; he just walked away.
    I love that kid. I wish I could've done that to my tormentors during high school.
    I wish I would have.

I was always getting in trouble for fighting, but I never actually hit anyone; just shoved or threw. I didn't actually want to hurt anyone. Which is a shame, because I think if I had, I would have gotten in a lot less trouble for fighting.

I went to school in the 90s, and was in college before Columbine, but I can understand how someone can snap if tormented enough. The bully who I mentioned before who was shot, he got his shits and giggles by spitting on me and hitting me in gym class. He only stopped after I pushed his head into a cinder block wall.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    well i just found out that a guy i had really connected with back in high school died last year, of cancer

he was 25

fuck.

One of my best friends in HS died unexpectedly the year after graduation of a heart condition that no one knew about in a pool.

I felt kind of the same way.

This came up in the bullying thread, but I had found out a year or two ago that a bully who tormented me in middle school was shot, and my first response was "Did he die?"

The guy who bullied me all throughout elementary school and middle school wound up committing suicide junior year in HS over a breakup with his gf. However, this was after he had turned into a decent human being and had sincerely apologized for bullying me, so my reaction was actually the reverse.

Havelock on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011

i am putting forward the controversial position that mormons are often nice people even if the church itself is kind of a looming presence.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    As for good or bad, it had its ups and downs. I had a decent collection of friends for the last bit, but I never felt like I belonged. A lot of cliques had grown up with each other, and I was a little out of place. I don't recall much violence at all, if any, save for that one punch.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am lounging in bed with Choco and he just slapped my ass.

What is this shit.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hullis wrote: »
    hi chat i don't come here often but i'm really curious

If you could have any song of the past 50 years as your wedding march, what would it be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBpQVhCMb8

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

What is this shit.

It's really really fun is all. Do it back, you'll see.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    @DreadPirateStuff

If I had to guess I'd say foreplay

Havelock on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Actually now I think about it I did once smack someone upside the head with a chair after they kept hitting the back of my head with their maths textbook.

It all happened very quickly. I just got up, turned around, grabbed the chair, and WHUP. I don't remember what happened next. Actually now I think about it I don't remember seeing that kid in school again after that.

Shit. Did I kill a guy?

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

What is this shit.

guess you'd better dress like a slut and go on a march

that will teach him

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »

i am putting forward the controversial position that mormons are often nice people even if the church itself is kind of a looming presence.

Every Mormon I have ever met has been really, really nice to me. I even had a fun, cordial philosophical discussion with three of them who were evangelizing or whatever on my college campus. Nice guys, I wish I had more time to talk with them.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It's funny that you guys are talking about that today, seeing as how today is General Conference. If you guys are curious, you can check out the next session in 30 minutes. Our Prophet and Apostles speak and stuff. http://lds.org/general-conference/watch?lang=eng

I'm not like throwing it on you, just if your curious since your on the subject.

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Mormons are nice people. Mormons also regularly contribute via tithe to an organization that successfully lobbied to strip the marriage rights of an entire group of people. I can admit that they're nice while still pointing out that they did a horrible, horrible thing and should be held accountable for it.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i was pretty lucky in school. had a lot of friends in a lot of different groups and never really got picked on.

one time this mean older kid threw me into a wall and punched me for basically no reason, but that's what mean kids do, i guess.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

What is this shit.
    i like to slap my girlfriend's ass and go, in a really creepy voice, "dat ass"

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

What is this shit.

that will teach him

You're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do!

I'm going to wear too much makeup and hang out with those boys you don't like.

• Options
    edited April 2011

It's funny that you guys are talking about that today, seeing as how today is General Conference. If you guys are curious, you can check out the next session in 30 minutes. Our Prophet and Apostles speak and stuff. http://lds.org/general-conference/watch?lang=eng

I'm not like throwing it on you, just if your curious since your on the subject.

Does Monson still say "Choose the Right" every other sentence like he used to? I kid, but it's too bad Packer isn't still around, because I sure loved learning about how the three greatest threats to the church were the homosexuals, the feminists, and the intellectuals.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Mormons are nice people. Mormons also regularly contribute via tithe to an organization that successfully lobbied to strip the marriage rights of an entire group of people. I can admit that they're nice while still pointing out that they did a horrible, horrible thing and should be held accountable for it.

dude

bad vibes in here

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I got picked on a lot until the middle of...middle school when I started up sports.

Turns out kids don't want to fuck with you as much if you've been working out every day.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Havelock wrote: »
    @DreadPirateStuff

No I'm being incredibly fussy and telling him to get out of my grill so there is no way he is aiming to get into my pants. Also, my mom is home.

• Options
    edited April 2011

i can agree with that

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I got picked on a lot until the middle of...middle school when I started up sports.

Turns out kids don't want to fuck with you as much if you've been working out every day.
    I kind of wish I'd stuck with Rugby, now.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i was pretty lucky in school. had a lot of friends in a lot of different groups and never really got picked on.

one time this mean older kid threw me into a wall and punched me for basically no reason, but that's what mean kids do, i guess.
    This was high school for me. I had a really shitty time in Middle School and Elementary School, though.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Actually now I think about it I did once smack someone upside the head with a chair after they kept hitting the back of my head with their maths textbook.

It all happened very quickly. I just got up, turned around, grabbed the chair, and WHUP. I don't remember what happened next. Actually now I think about it I don't remember seeing that kid in school again after that.

Shit. Did I kill a guy?

I have few memories of childhood, and most of them are kinda fuzzy and most likely corrupted by movies&tv shows I watched at the time.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I wasn't a goofy surgeon playing practical jokes on my Major during the Korean War but ya never know ya know?

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

What is this shit.

Awww. You two are cute.

I say this strictly in a manly way.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cass, go for his junk. That'll teach him.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

What is this shit.

that will teach him

You're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do!

I'm going to wear too much makeup and hang out with those boys you don't like.

well

don't go expecting police protection is what i am saying here

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I was bullied really hard up until what happened to me. Then I got bullied even worse, because I was a slut and a whore who wanted it.

Woo, grade school.

• Options
    edited April 2011

I kind of wish I'd stuck with Rugby, now.

Best thing I ever did was join the wrestling team in middle school, singlets and man-grappling notwithstanding. The workout regimen for that was p brutal for a kid.

Or, well, it was the best thing my parents forced me to do :P

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    @DreadPirateStuff

No I'm being incredibly fussy and telling him to get out of my grill so there is no way he is aiming to get into my pants. Also, my mom is home.

you could try out some mom-approved flavored condoms

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yeah I had pretty much the same experience. There was this one kid and his cronies who picked on me for a few months but stopped. I forget if I did something to make him stop or if he got tired of it. It was more confusing than anything else, though, 'cause who picks on someone twice their size? People are strange.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Changing the subject a little here, I love re-reading old issues of Retro Gamer magazine because, unlike modern gaming mags, they age exceptionally well.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    frankie is watching the parent trap

why does she do this to me?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Changing the subject a little here, I love re-reading old issues of Retro Gamer magazine because, unlike modern gaming mags, they age exceptionally well.

Changing the subject? In [chat]? Such a faux pas.

This discussion has been closed.