Options

Assassin's Creed: New DLC in March 8th! New SP and MP stuff for $10!

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    Dram wrote: »
    Just got ACB for PC yesterday. Quite good. The animations, controls and camera would use some work. The multiplayer is pretty food though. I'm impressed they got it so fluid. I didn't think it'd be possible with the AC games. I just wish there were more people playing on PC in Australia. Ubisoft games always suffer on PC in my country when it comes to multiplayer. Splinter Cell: Conviction was a ghost town.

I dunno, I don't have tooooooo much trouble finding a game. Although I wish there was just a straight server browser instead of this SEARCHING FOR ABSTERGO AGENTS malarky

Oh I've found games. It just usually takes quite a while to do so. Last night I was searching for a good 10 minutes before I managed to find my second match. In Splinter Cell: Conviction I was only ever able to find a co-op game once. And that lasted a laggy minute before the session was disconnected due to time out. I agree that there really does need to be dedicated server support.

Dram on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    Folks, is the PSP game worth it?

Depends on how you define worth it. I picked it up on PSN for $20 and got 100% in about 6 hours or so. The plot is honestly more throwaway than I would have expected (given that it ties into a few key elements of Altair's life Assassins's Creed II brought up).

6 hours is good and finding out who that woman was in AC2 is appealing to me so I think I will go for it, thanks! Did you do the PSP link up with AC2? I can't find much information about it. I am hoping I can use it to get a serious advantage in the PSP game.

Moioink on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Depends on how you define worth it. I picked it up on PSN for $20 and got 100% in about 6 hours or so. The plot is honestly more throwaway than I would have expected (given that it ties into a few key elements of Altair's life Assassins's Creed II brought up).

6 hours is good and finding out who that woman was in AC2 is appealing to me so I think I will go for it, thanks! Did you do the PSP link up with AC2? I can't find much information about it. I am hoping I can use it to get a serious advantage in the PSP game.

If you played AC1, you already who know she is.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited April 2011

If you played AC1, you already who know she is.
    The female templar who posed as Robert?

Moioink on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes.

But a trip to the Assassin's Wikipedia will yield you the plot in a shorter and better time than to go through the motions of the game.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So is it a glitch in AC2 that you can keep a dropped weapon from a guard and can't keep your original weapon you dropped once you pick it back up? Ended up with a maul that way.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Yes.

But a trip to the Assassin's Wikipedia will yield you the plot in a shorter and better time than to go through the motions of the game.

Maybe, but I can't stab people on Wikipedia for my story advancement.

Moioink on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes.

<3

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes.

<3

Requiat in Pace.

Rend on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I didn't do the link. I bought it the night before I went out of town for a conference and beat the game before I got home. And yeah, the link-up would give a serious advantage in the PSP game, by which I mean near game-breaking. In Bloodlines you can counter-kill with the hidden blade, but not attacks or block. Linking it to AC II allows the upgrades to the hidden blade to transfer over, which means you can now attack, block, and even use the pistol in Bloodlines. However, the game is absurdly easy to begin with (far easier than I and II at least, although I haven't yet played Brotherhood so I can't comment there), and I honestly can't see those upgrades being anything other than game-breaking.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I didn't do the link. I bought it the night before I went out of town for a conference and beat the game before I got home. And yeah, the link-up would give a serious advantage in the PSP game, by which I mean near game-breaking. In Bloodlines you can counter-kill with the hidden blade, but not attacks or block. Linking it to AC II allows the upgrades to the hidden blade to transfer over, which means you can now attack, block, and even use the pistol in Bloodlines. However, the game is absurdly easy to begin with (far easier than I and II at least, although I haven't yet played Brotherhood so I can't comment there), and I honestly can't see those upgrades being anything other than game-breaking.

Game breaking is fine with me, I just want a quick romp that I can finish in a couple of evenings and being all powerful sounds like fun to me. It will also make Altair not feel like such a downgrade from Ezio!

Thank you very much for your posts, I should hopefully have it some time early next week. :)

Moioink on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, I love and hate multiplayer. I've died so many times because my controls don't always do what I want them to do, and I've been stabbed through a closed gate (lag), stabbed and thrown off a roof from three meters away (lag), jump-stabbed through a roof (lag), and generally murdered more times than I can count. But it's just... so fun. And so frustrating!

Jintor on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The lag part really kills me. I have a solid internet connection, so it brings to mind the terrible days of CS, when some idiot would be teleporting all over the map with his fabulous 900 ping.

streever on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The other thing is that I can't tell if I'm lagging (or if they're lagging) until someone leaps through a roof and stabs me because on their machine I was, in fact, three seconds behind

Jintor on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just got this on Steam last night. Runs pretty well maxed out for me so yay but the KBAM controls are going to take some getting used to.

How is MP handled round these parts? Steam group? In-game friends list? Or do people just not really stab mans together?

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How is MP handled round these parts? Steam group? In-game friends list? Or do people just not really stab mans together?

There doesn't appear to be a STEAM group, so it's likely through the friends list. I'm sure there are more people playing AC:B on the consoles rather than on the PC though.

Prisca on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Keenbean, I'd plug in a 360 controller if you have one--that is how I played. Awesome. KBAM was how I played AC 1 and I really didn't enjoy it.

streever on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    streever wrote: »
    Keenbean, I'd plug in a 360 controller if you have one--that is how I played. Awesome. KBAM was how I played AC 1 and I really didn't enjoy it.

I have to agree. Sadly, windows/the game didn't recognize the triggers on my MadCatz 360 controller, but after a driver download and some tinkering plugging in my PS3 one worked just fine.

Also, make that 2 for the love/hate relationship with the MP. As far as waiting time, once I find a game, unless I need to leave or I just REALLY hate a few of the people (sprinters), I always just hit rematch. Generally it goes much faster than re-queuing. Sadly that doesn't help your initial queue.

Decoy on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Decoy wrote: »

I have to agree. Sadly, windows/the game didn't recognize the triggers on my MadCatz 360 controller, but after a driver download and some tinkering plugging in my PS3 one worked just fine.

Also, make that 2 for the love/hate relationship with the MP. As far as waiting time, once I find a game, unless I need to leave or I just REALLY hate a few of the people (sprinters), I always just hit rematch. Generally it goes much faster than re-queuing. Sadly that doesn't help your initial queue.

I was just going to ask if you could play with a PS3 controller. I got AC1 through a Steam sale but the KBAM setup isn't really appealing, as I'm used to a PS3 controller. This is good news though, I'm going to have to look into using it.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Oh man, I think we're up to at least 3 on that already.
    Finding games isn't that bad--I am normally on PA forums or something in steam web browser anyway. My only real complaint is the lag stuff, and the guys who literally hang out on the rooftops for 95% of a game. Stinks in alliance mode when you have them as your target.

streever on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Oh man, I think we're up to at least 3 on that already.
    Finding games isn't that bad--I am normally on PA forums or something in steam web browser anyway. My only real complaint is the lag stuff, and the guys who literally hang out on the rooftops for 95% of a game. Stinks in alliance mode when you have them as your target.
    You mean the guys who hang out on roofs, until someone approaches. Then they drop a smoke bomb and stun them for easy points? That's been my experience with roof campers...

Dram on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, I can finally get Brotherhood now because I finally finished II! It only took me 11 months. Although I suppose I could go back for that last assassin tomb, or the rest of the truth glyphs, or some feathers, or some paintings...

Also, can anyone link me to a good discussion of the ending? Because
    WHAT
    seriously what
    HI DESMOND

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I do have one and I used it for a bit. It's like my 360 copy of AssBro but prettier! But I'm trying to get my KBAM dexterity back now that I've built this sweet gaming rig.

I got utterly thrashed in some multi tonight but had fun. Well, one match because apparently there were no more than 3 people around.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As this thread winds down to a close, is there anything you'd like to see added to the OP for the new thread? I'm taking suggestions now. :D

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If you have even more tips for MP that would be much appreciated.

Jintor on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, I can finally get Brotherhood now because I finally finished II! It only took me 11 months. Although I suppose I could go back for that last assassin tomb, or the rest of the truth glyphs, or some feathers, or some paintings...

WHAT
    seriously what
    HI DESMOND

Finding all the truth glyphs will help the ending make ever-so-slightly more sense (but only a little). The last assassin tomb is worth it just because a, the tombs are incredibly well-designed and b, the armor of Altair looks badass and never breaks.

Anyway, what I took from II's ending having seen all the truth glyphs (but not yet played Brotherhood, it's on my list but the wife asked that I play something besides AC for a while to give her a break):
    The humans were created by another alien race to act as slaves. The Ones Who Came Before were immensely powerful creatures that created the Pieces of Eden and had at least some ability to see through time into the future. The Truth unlocked when you find all 16 glyphs) shows that Adam and Eve broke out of their slavery and stole an Apple of Eden on their way. They then were the ancestors of a race of free humans, that eventually made war with TOWCB. Harking back to the whole "made in the image and likeness of God" thing from Genesis, TOWCB were every bit as warlike as the humans, and a lot of people died on both sides. Eventually there was an external force that sounds like the sun had trouble, perhaps a massive solar flare. Anyway, the damage was enough to threaten all life on earth, and TOWCB and humans worked together to somehow avert this threat. However, TOWCB were low on numbers and either died out and/or transcended to another plane of existence. It sounds like they kept some guidance/influence over humans, mostly by acting as gods in their various incarnations. In any case, they're long since gone by the time Ezio breaks into the vault in the Vatican. When he gets there, he's told he is in fact the profit, but then is told that like any profit the message isn't meant for him; he's merely to deliver it. Athena (one of TOWCB) knows that Desmond will eventually relive these memories through the Animus hundreds of years later, and therefore speaks her message to Ezio knowing that Desmond will receive it. A similar disaster to the one that threatened humanity and TOWCB previously (the one they worked together to overcome) is imminent, and Desmond is the key to stopping it. So now we're not only worried about the Templars and their tightening grip on all of humanity, but we also need to worry about whatever this coming world-threatening cataclysmic disaster is also.

At least that's how I understood it.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

WHAT
    seriously what
    HI DESMOND

Finding all the truth glyphs will help the ending make ever-so-slightly more sense (but only a little). The last assassin tomb is worth it just because a, the tombs are incredibly well-designed and b, the armor of Altair looks badass and never breaks.

Anyway, what I took from II's ending having seen all the truth glyphs (but not yet played Brotherhood, it's on my list but the wife asked that I play something besides AC for a while to give her a break):
    The humans were created by another alien race to act as slaves. The Ones Who Came Before were immensely powerful creatures that created the Pieces of Eden and had at least some ability to see through time into the future. The Truth unlocked when you find all 16 glyphs) shows that Adam and Eve broke out of their slavery and stole an Apple of Eden on their way. They then were the ancestors of a race of free humans, that eventually made war with TOWCB. Harking back to the whole "made in the image and likeness of God" thing from Genesis, TOWCB were every bit as warlike as the humans, and a lot of people died on both sides. Eventually there was an external force that sounds like the sun had trouble, perhaps a massive solar flare. Anyway, the damage was enough to threaten all life on earth, and TOWCB and humans worked together to somehow avert this threat. However, TOWCB were low on numbers and either died out and/or transcended to another plane of existence. It sounds like they kept some guidance/influence over humans, mostly by acting as gods in their various incarnations. In any case, they're long since gone by the time Ezio breaks into the vault in the Vatican. When he gets there, he's told he is in fact the profit, but then is told that like any profit the message isn't meant for him; he's merely to deliver it. Athena (one of TOWCB) knows that Desmond will eventually relive these memories through the Animus hundreds of years later, and therefore speaks her message to Ezio knowing that Desmond will receive it. A similar disaster to the one that threatened humanity and TOWCB previously (the one they worked together to overcome) is imminent, and Desmond is the key to stopping it. So now we're not only worried about the Templars and their tightening grip on all of humanity, but we also need to worry about whatever this coming world-threatening cataclysmic disaster is also.

Right on the money.

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

WHAT
    seriously what
    HI DESMOND

tombs are sweet
    feathers?
    Forget that shit man
    what a waste of time
    I collected all feathers/flags in Brotherhood but only because they let me buy maps
    You can just watch a video of what happens when you collect all feathers instead for II

This isn't a spoiler, really, just a note about the meta-story advancement level by Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.
    There isn't any.
    I mean, sure, there is a twist or two, and some other general stuff that is crazy, but the actual story about the coming cataclysm and the battle between the templars/assassins does not really advance at all. I don't think this is really a spoiler, because it is what pretty much every review has said, but still. It is an incredible game and totally worth it, and I highly recommend it, but don't expect any big reveal like in II.

streever on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My biggest problem with AC:B is that stealth is useless and the game becomes oh so easy by the middle mark unless your on a forced stealth mission, which becomes annoying.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My only (real) problem with AC:B is Hell on Wheels and Glider 2.0. Seriously, WTF. I have 100% synch on everything with very little replaying (I had to do some of the timed missions a second time because I didn't want to pass up the flags/chests on first run).

But, War Machine levels? F them, man. I think I can do the Hell on Wheels mission for 100%, but the Glider? I don't know if I'll manage that. The first part is easy but part 2 is a nightmare.

I would have loved to see more stealth stuff--a la Hitman--but that just isn't what they do.

streever on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm currently playing through Brotherhood and my only real complaint is the occasionally the camera rears back and punches me in the dick. Notably on certainly wall platforming sequences when there's no reason to shift the camera to the side view, and the god awful camera lock that happens after renovating a building. Since I'm not meta gaming and trying to 100% every mission there really hasn't been too many points of frustration gameplay wise.

I'm also slightly underwhelmed at the recruiting thing. I still think the idea is cool as hell, I just didn't like how passive/aggressive it implemented. To me it seems like the interaction isn't there after the initial recruitment and that, for better or worse, they're just a ranged weapon. One that I can't use 90% of the time because they're out on contracts. I guess I would've rather seen it implemented where I take on a lot fewer recruits, but had a more active role in their "upbringing". Something akin to escorting them around and show them the ropes. I don't know. Anything more than "You're hired. Now go away for 14 mins".

Decoy on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For Hell on Wheels, there's a glitch that helped me out immensly.
    So the tank sequence goes 7 cannons --> 7 cannons --> 1 tank --> 2 tanks. There's no way to avoid being careful for these first three fights.

Once you get to the last fight however, this is where the glitch is. Once you hit the marker and the tanks advance on you, back up into the wall of Animus White. You can sit just inside it with the warning of desynchronisation without desynchronising. Meanwhile the tanks will target you...but not fire. This means you can sit where you are and pick them off at your leisure.

Hope that helps.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm currently playing through Brotherhood and my only real complaint is the occasionally the camera rears back and punches me in the dick. Notably on certainly wall platforming sequences when there's no reason to shift the camera to the side view, and the god awful camera lock that happens after renovating a building. Since I'm not meta gaming and trying to 100% every mission there really hasn't been too many points of frustration gameplay wise.

I'm also slightly underwhelmed at the recruiting thing. I still think the idea is cool as hell, I just didn't like how passive/aggressive it implemented. To me it seems like the interaction isn't there after the initial recruitment and that, for better or worse, they're just a ranged weapon. One that I can't use 90% of the time because they're out on contracts. I guess I would've rather seen it implemented where I take on a lot fewer recruits, but had a more active role in their "upbringing". Something akin to escorting them around and show them the ropes. I don't know. Anything more than "You're hired. Now go away for 14 mins".

Yea, I hear you, but I actually really liked it. I would totally love more interaction--I was frustrated that I couldn't talk to them in my lair for instance, or train them one on one--I also hated how stock the recruitment was, the same words said each time. But, ultimately I really enjoyed the brotherhood aspect.

I leveled my first recruits to assassin quickly--then when I got new recruits, I just sent them on co-op missions, seeing them go from level 1 to 8 in 15 minutes, then level 9, then assassin. I had a full stock of assassin level recruits very quickly, and got to use them through a lot of the game.

Oceanic: I hate using glitches, but having been able to do the first 3 sequences with ease, I think I am going to do that. Thanks a lot! It is just so frustrating to keep blowing 18 minutes on busy-work to then fail by the tiniest margin at the end.

streever on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Warcry wrote: »

WHAT
    seriously what
    HI DESMOND

Right on the money.

Cool, thanks.

It's funny, normally I'd fault a game for being so extremely long and sprawling as ACII, but I'm still surprised at how very little of the game felt like filler. Way back when the word on the street was "next-gen games will be priced higher because they will cost so much more to make," this kind of epic, detailed, open-world game is exactly what I dreamed of justifying those higher production budgets. A job well done by Ubi.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Warcry wrote: »

WHAT
    seriously what
    HI DESMOND

Right on the money.

Cool, thanks.

It's funny, normally I'd fault a game for being so extremely long and sprawling as ACII, but I'm still surprised at how very little of the game felt like filler. Way back when the word on the street was "next-gen games will be priced higher because they will cost so much more to make," this kind of epic, detailed, open-world game is exactly what I dreamed of justifying those higher production budgets. A job well done by Ubi.

After the villa upgrades started rolling in and providing me with tons of florins the races, beat-up events, assassination contracts, etc. started to feel like filler. Luckily, there were no negative consequences for not doing them. The assassin tombs and templar strongholds were fun regardless of whether I needed money though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Assassination contracts are optional but they at least framed them with story elements and let's face it we play Assassin's Creed to stab dudes. More stabbing of dudes is not a bad thing.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    All the optional events and treasure became obsolete once I realized there was the "Just leave the game running for awhile" mini-game. I just wish all the items unlocked quicker, I'm drowning in money and there's nothing to do with it.

But, come Brotherhood I hope they upped the amount you can loot from bodies and pick pocket. If you need money it's more effort than it's worth to loot a body unless you also happen to need knives/poison and pickpocket isn't worth the notoriety increase. Speaking of which, I hope there's a cape for all the cities (or better yet it upgrades the first one).

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I hope there's a cape for all the cities (or better yet it upgrades the first one).
    This is addressed in Brotherhood by there only being one city. :)

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It better be a damn big city!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It better be a damn big city!
    Rome is pretty big, yes.

Iron Weasel on