Options

X Rebirth announced

SkabSkab Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Searched, didn't find a thread already, so sorry if I missed it.

http://www.deepsilver.com/en/game-view/view/game/access12/x-rebirth/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabrDe4XJo0
In the distant future, the X universe faces a period of profound and irrevocable change. While the universe stumbles towards an uncertain future, countless adventures await as new enemies rise in search of power. Enter a young adventurer and his unlikely female ally traveling in an old, battered ship with a glorious past - two people alone against the galaxy, playing a key part in the events to come. The fate of the universe rests in the hands of the player...

X Rebirth represents a spectacular new beginning for the X series, offering loyal fans and newcomers alike a vast, vivid and extremely detailed universe to explore throughout the game. Varied gameplay elements such as action-packed space combat, detailed trading mechanics and high-speed space exploration with fast travel allow players to experience a truly unique space saga that will keep them hooked for dozens of hours. X Rebirth features a whole new user experience - it is easier than ever to start with, and remains as deep as fans expect it.

Screens
xrebirth-all-all-screenshot-001_819ef91bd2.jpg
xrebirth-all-all-screenshot-004_37957676cc.jpg
xrebirth-all-all-screenshot-002_c932384b2a.jpg
xrebirth-all-all-screenshot-003_af60feaf25.jpg

steam_sig.png
Skab on

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Captain K on
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks interesting. Hopefully they do something to counter the learning wall of the series. I've always wanted to get into the games, but I'm not interested in trial and erroriing my way through mistakes for five to ten hours before I can really enjoy a game.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    X3: Terran Conflict was my first X game, and I didn't even buy that until more than a year after its release, so when my friend just said "I hope it's not bugged to unplayability on release" it made me second-guess my immediate reaction to this news and trailer.

Which, as you saw, was "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Still, I put something like 120 hours into X3:TC once I finally played it! I have (almost) nothing but the highest hopes!

Captain K on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I bought X3 once but the copy I had was one of the ones that wouldn't install and I was too lazy to do anything about it so I never did play it. I'll be looking at this one though, it's extremely pretty. I like how there's all sorts of lights and details and shit everywhere, it's very busy. Should I perhaps pick up X3:TC while waiting for this one?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I worry about how buggy it will be initially.

I loved hearing the computerized voice at the end...it's been a while since I've play either X3:R or X3:TC...must...not...reinstall.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Darmak

buy X3:TC

you will fucking love it

Captain K on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    K, I'll do it as soon as I beat Portal 2.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm surprised Tube hasn't posted in this thread yet.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck. Yes.

I love TC, even though I've never really made it very far into it (I treat it like Oblivion: I install a bunch of mods, play the hell out of it for a couple weeks, switch to something else, and by the time I come back I have to reinstall all my mods and start over).

I hope they make the combat more ... visceral ... in this one, since that's my main complaint about TC - how you can go from full shields to space dust without any meaningful feedback and without noticing.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The X games have always looked appealing to me but I've never tried them because of what I constantly hear about their difficulty of access. I'm already terribad at any sort of space sim game so making it exponentially more difficult to do just isn't appealing. Freelancer is about as complex as I've ever been able to handle. Though I did used to play some xwing v tie fighter.

If they make this easier to get into, like actually easy to get into, it can get as complex as it wants. As long as it builds you up to it; im all for it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    finnith wrote: »

I thought ol' Pappy P isn't fond of X anymore? Maybe that was a fever dream I had once.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hell. Yes.

I hope they fix the autopilot being a giant retard.

Having my wing mates crash into stations is pretty bad.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played TC for months until they released a new version that caused tons of lag or something like that.
    Lots of slowdown.

When they released a patch I was worried all my mods wouldn't work with it since they did something specific to fix it. Eventually I uninstalled it. I've forgotten all the mods I had installed.

I would like it if carriers were worth the cost and not just a fun little waste of time and money.

I would also like it if their ship ui was searchable.
    Seriously.
    Let me search for a ship name.
    Please?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hopefully this new version will have:

An easy way to conduct fleet ops without mods/going through a crap-ton of menus.

Better fighter AI.

A decent counter to macross style missile spam attacks (Nothing like losing a capship because some jackoff NPC decided to unload 25 missiles into it all at once!).

More combat scenario's. I want to see major Khaak invasions hitting the galactic "rim". With zone map updates. Stuff like that.

Also, I see that there's some pretty heavy duty Earth style ship influences in some of those screenshots. Wonder if the ATF (Or whatever it's called.) is going to play a better role outside of being a ridiculously hard bonus faction to rep in this time?

Archonex on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One thing I would like to see is that you could carve out space for yourself naturally in the game. Claiming sectors with violence, diplomacy, or trade without using mods. I know you can plant stations in X3 and TC, but I'd like to reach a point in a sector where I can rename it, tax it, place AI guard fleets, and get advanced stations...perhaps even start my own faction, without the use of some clumsy mods.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Archonex wrote: »

More combat scenario's. I want to see major Khaak invasions hitting the galactic "rim". With zone map updates. Stuff like that.?

This more than anything else.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skab wrote: »
    xrebirth-all-all-screenshot-003_af60feaf25.jpg

That's a goddamn APOLLO.

Apollo320x240.jpg

If they make the flight physics not mind-numbingly bad (at least for someone coming from Freespace/Privateer), then I am very interested.

If not, well...

MechMantis on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sagaxus wrote: »
    finnith wrote: »

I thought ol' Pappy P isn't fond of X anymore? Maybe that was a fever dream I had once.

He's sworn off the current X games, that's true... We'll have to see if he can stay on the bandwagon with a new release :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    X3 TC was excellent.
    The modding community was amazing too.
    They added a lot of faction dynamics and missions and such.
    It was always cool to see sectors go into full scale war over incursions.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love space sims, and I usually have a high tolerance for complicated games, but my experience with X has been less "space adventure" and more "horrific car crash." Those screenshots are pretty shiny, but if I made a list of a hundred things I thought were deficient in the game, "graphics not shiny enough" would not be among them.

If they fix the everything, then this could be an incredible game, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really did not expect to see another X game announced. Absolutely cannot wait. X3:R and TC are such incredible games. And this new aesthetic looks amazing.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    BlandlytastefulBlandlytasteful Gruelmaster The Dark LunchroomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't checked yet, but let me guess... Novemberish? The same timeframe everything else in the world I'm interested in comes out?

Blandlytasteful on
    Steam: Blandlytasteful | XBL: Blandlytasteful | PSN: Blandlytasteful | 3DS: 3411-0354-2109
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't checked yet, but let me guess... Novemberish? The same timeframe everything else in the world I'm interested in comes out?

Yep.

Well. "Fourth Quarter 2011"

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    X3 TC was excellent.

While it was awesome to play with mods like that, I'm sad that the particular faction dynamic mod I was waiting for never got finished. It was in development by the guy who did the "Pirate Guild" mod, and he was really talking about getting in-depth about forcing every faction to play by some realistic rules of supply and stuff like that, rather than having ships being spawned out of nothing for the sake of continuous warfare.

Maybe we'll see the new base game offer something more along those lines? I doubt it, though.

Captain K on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I still fondly remember my first X experience.

Had to nail my dick to a crucifix just to get past the first menu. Scarred like you wouldn't believe after it told me to get out the gasoline.

Here's to hoping for some more engaging combat. I can forgive a lot of hole in my dick if I can have a good time blowing things up.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's an experience that is very similar to a baby bird falling out of the nest.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I only played X3, vanilla, but liked it. Like in Oblivion, I got suuuuppppeerrr fucking far, and the goddamned thing ate my saved game, and I didn't want to start all over.
    Despite that, I had tons of fun with it. It got really awesome once you got a ton of ships under your command.

Maybe my memory is kinda bad, but at a certain point, once you get a fleet, it should all but turn into a straight up RTS. I had a super mega ultra awesome capitol ship, and like one other tiny ship that wasn't worth the time. I think I just moved around in the awesome ship because trying to get it to follow me, or get the little one to do as I say, was painful.

Oh yeah, I also never installed any mods. Maybe I was making it harder than it should have been.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I always wanted to try this series, and grabbed TC when it was on steam sale this Christmas.

Man, I'm awful at it. So difficult, I got no joy out of it at all. Beyond that, I accidentally killed myself at the end of both of the training missions I did for two separate characters, and lost all progress.

No thanks.

I agree with the others who wish we would get another Freelancer type game.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Captain K wrote: »
    X3 TC was excellent.

While it was awesome to play with mods like that, I'm sad that the particular faction dynamic mod I was waiting for never got finished. It was in development by the guy who did the "Pirate Guild" mod, and he was really talking about getting in-depth about forcing every faction to play by some realistic rules of supply and stuff like that, rather than having ships being spawned out of nothing for the sake of continuous warfare.

Maybe we'll see the new base game offer something more along those lines? I doubt it, though.

Yeah, I remember several mods with that ambition, going on hiatus and canceling.
    Even in Vanilla, there were times where I felt that the trade and production AI was unrealistic.
    My game died with the steam patch, and I didn't rustle up my serial for a reinstall.
    I have no idea where the modding community is now. I do remember one group developing a entirely new galaxy and set of missions.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My experience with the past X games (X3 and TC) has been thus: install game, install mods, be totally immersed for weeks, get burnt out, game gets updated and breaks all the mods, give up.

But I still look forward to doing it all over again, so welp :P

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Once you climb the difficulty curve/mountain, it's a very rewarding series. My first time playing X3, I just used one of the starts that gives you a freighter, and traded while learning the ins and outs of the controls. Start simple and avoid combat at all costs early on. Terran Conflict makes it a bit easier by making missions a hell of a lot easier to find, which makes starting out a lot easier if you have a freighter or personal transport.

I also wouldn't recommend starting with the Terran campaign, since you'll have to go into combat right off the bat, and you start in the horrid Terran sectors which don't allow for much trading.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Terran campaign starts you out with a sweet starter ship though.
    The Mamba was a pretty sweet starter ship as well.
    I spent a forever amount of time before I got into the trading.
    I think that had to be the most difficult bit for me. I was quite happy when I managed to somewhat automate a trade fleet of captured haulers.

Man all of this reflection is getting to me.
    I remember commanding wings of captured Xenon Ls against pirates.
    I killed so many pirates.

I think I'm going to rustle up that serial number.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The starter ship is good, but early game combat is so bad. Plus, the Terran starting area is just waaaaay toooo biiiig. I cringe every time I see one of my UTs hanging out in Terran space. Better off starting in Argon space and doing transport missions, but that may just be a play-style preference of mine. I've spent the vast majority of time in my most recent game in my Boron Angel earning moneys and collecting Marines for training.

Evangir on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Colour me interested in this.

I enjoyed X2 and what little I was able to play of the first game. Also, now that I finally have a new computer that'll actually play it, I really should get around to hunting out X3.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Captain K wrote: »
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i concur.

every x game i make it a mission to become public enemy #1 with the paranids, and of course set up the biggest space fuel factory I can

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Energy Cells. The life blood of the X universe.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My experience with X2 can be summed up as seeing an NPC merchant ship staying stock still radioing for help because it was being attacked by a single pirate ship who's DPS wasn't enough to beat the merchants ship's shield recharge rate.

I went away and made myself a cup of team and came back to exactly the same situation.

I bought a flight stick to play X2, I gave X2 all the love I could give. It gave me jack shit back in return.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I played X3 once. Floated around in that first ship you start in, until I managed to smash it into a space dock. Then I accidentally ejected myself outside and got squished between my ship and the dock and died.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've purchased and played every game of the X series and I sincerely hope that Egosoft will revamp the entire flight engine and make combat less of a pain.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I assume I was correct in my assumption that getting any of the current X games is not worth it if I don't want a game to punch me in the face if I want to have fun within the first 3 hours of starting it?

I honestly want to try the game, I just have the suspicion that I'm going to play it for 3 hours, and then never again.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png