As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The epic conclusion of the worldwide phenomenom

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
Klyka's thread is 5-6 months old and the new trailer is out now, so lets try to talk Harry Potter while everyone comes in and shits on the quality of the writing again!

New Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcf6cwr9TnY

If you like, because I am meticulous about this shit (and a nerd), I am breaking it down in a spoiler so you can either read my thoughts or skip em
0:05 - Who is that? Snape? That's weird.
0:08 - Man kid Lily is chunky.
0:26 - That looks like Voldemort curses a Death Eater, which is a weird editing choice. Also, I decided after seeing the whole thing they use that Voldemort yell way too much, this is the first time they use it.
0:37 - Fuck yeah, dragon. I can't remember the dragon being described as albino in the book, though.
0:40 - Hey it is Snape in Godric's Hollow. That's weird.
0:47 - When Harry faced Voldemort in the final battle he jizzed. in. his pants.
0:49 - Voldemort scream 2
0:54 - You can't do shit, Ron. You've basically gone out of your way to fuck shit up.
0:59 - Even for a movie based on a book that came out 3 (now 4) years ago, this is a pretty big spoiler in a trailer.
1:01 - Voldemort scream 3. I don't even know what the hell is happening here.
1:04 - If they show Tonks and Remus' thing I may actually cry like a bitch.
1:06 - Harry could have been cursed 4 times in this sequence. This sequence also doesn't make much sense to me.
1:12 - Voldemort scream 4.
1:15 - Snape with some David Copperfield shit.
1:25 - Fuck yes, bad ass Molly Weasley.
1:28 - Someone, Lupin I think, screaming "Harry!" They introduced this in the 6th movie in the sequence they added on and have used that scream in trailers ever since.
1:33 - Voldemort scream 5.

I am excited to see the final part of the final film of the final book of the Harry Potter series until Jo Rowling decides she needs a new home and cashes in again. Also, there has been rumblings about the series coming to a Kindle/Nook/e-reader near you, but they are still considering their options in that.

Goose! on

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aw yeah. This looks good.

Liiya on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2011
    The writing in Harry Potter is terrible.

Tube on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    doo doo do do do

phenomenon

doo do do doo

phenomenon

doo doo do do do do do do do do do do do

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't worry, there won't be subtitles.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's definitely mediocre.

Wish I were a billionaire though.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    doo doo do do do

phenomenon

doo do do doo

phenomenon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQsd7y5YbZw

Goose! on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    comic.php?date=08082005

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    doo doo do do do

phenomenon

doo do do doo

phenomenon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Mc55P1i9g

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I propose that you change the thread's title to "The epic conclusion of the worldwide phenomnomnom"

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    doo doo do do do

phenomenon

doo do do doo

phenomenon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Mc55P1i9g

That's better than the movie she won an Oscar for.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can dig it

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's definitely mediocre.

Wish I were a billionaire though.

Viscount has the right of it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bearing in mind that I am a grown man who has long since been made aware of every single plot development in the finale is there any point reading the last few books

I have friends who... seem to be in love with the series but I'm yet to see the attraction

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yeah, I didn't notice it until like, book 5. But by then I was already hooked and had to finish.

At least she made a really cool world with neat characters.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also these movies tend to bring out weird things to my theater. This last time there where so many, SO MANY, people, mostly ladies, dressed like Harry Potter characters. And entire group of college woman that could best be described as amazons all dressed as different houses using that slutty lady wizard costume as a base.

Watching people in their mid to late 20's having wand battles is...ok well its similar to watching them have light sabre battles. Still feel weird. And my boss wants me to dress like Hagrad for the last movie premier.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never read the books, but I enjoy watching the movies

They are excellent date movies

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    mato-andrewmato-andrew Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    comic.php?date=08082005

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what's happening in this comic?

mato-andrew on
    They're gathered like wolves on the boardwalk below, howling for answers no wolves can know!
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Also these movies tend to bring out weird things to my theater. This last time there where so many, SO MANY, people, mostly ladies, dressed like Harry Potter characters. And entire group of college woman that could best be described as amazons all dressed as different houses using that slutty lady wizard costume as a base.

Watching people in their mid to late 20's having wand battles is...ok well its similar to watching them have light sabre battles. Still feel weird. And my boss wants me to dress like Hagrad for the last movie premier.
    the last sentence here explains so much about the rest of this post

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Snowbeat wrote: »

the last sentence here explains so much about the rest of this post

I have no idea what you mean by that. Its not very well written itself yes, and there are most likely some spelling errors but I'm typing from my phone and its a pain in the ass. Especially with the server errors.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This better come out in non-3D too.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have a friend that is obscenely into Harry Potter.

Fucker called me a muggle once.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I was very happy when the last one came out in 2D. I am very much over 3D movies, thanks Hollywood, but I'll pass

Bucketman on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011

I am generally incapable of determining what is and what is not good writing.

So I just like the books because "hey, fun wizard story."

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    mcp wrote: »

Then you look that bitch in the eye and say to them that their patronus must be a tube of colgate

Cause they got a case of serious plaque

Tasteticle on

• Options
    mato-andrewmato-andrew Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was very happy when the last one came out in 2D. I am very much over 3D movies, thanks Hollywood, but I'll pass

I'm not so much annoyed by 3D myself as much as I am having to pay double the cost if there isn't a 2D theatrical release. I saw Avatar in 3D. I payed my penance as a movie-going American. Can we stop the 3D now?

mato-andrew on
    They're gathered like wolves on the boardwalk below, howling for answers no wolves can know!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Avatar was a bad movie with good 3D. The 5th Harry Potter movie was a good movie was bad 3D (hey its $14 a ticket, the movie is shorter and only the last 5 minutes are 3D!). I wish we could find a happy medium or just leave it to animated movies.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    BeyondBeyond Nerd Slayer In the SkyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I really agree. Really

Beyond on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It seems to me like "good writing" is a really subjective term anyway.

How do you define "good writing," anyway? Apparently it isn't "worth $TEXAS" which is fine. Regardless, her writing was very effective, in that it communicated the story in an exciting way with an interesting plot and intriguing characters.

I dunno, whenever I hear someone say "the writing was awful" or similar I tend to imagine them as a hipster in a black turtleneck smoking on a barstool, drinking cheap wine, and wondering why nobody wants to publish their screenplay. Then again, my chosen profession is engineering, where communicating abstract or complex ideas quickly, clearly, and efficiently is the primary purpose of writing.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Yeah, I never got into the dressing up side of things, but I have friends that did.

And you should come to PAX East dressed as Hagrid next year.

Goose! on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I dunno, whenever I hear someone say "the writing was awful" or similar I tend to imagine them as a hipster in a black turtleneck smoking on a barstool, drinking cheap wine, and wondering why nobody wants to publish their screenplay. Then again, my chosen profession is engineering, where communicating abstract or complex ideas quickly, clearly, and efficiently is the primary purpose of writing.

I haven't actually read enough HP to comment on the specific case but trust me, one day you will read something and understand how someone could claim that it was objectively badly written

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »

Then you look that bitch in the eye and say to them that their patronus must be a tube of colgate

Cause they got a case of serious plaque

Then before they can respond you call them a mudblood wannabe and while they are still dealing with that you cap it all off by telling them that if their mother was a witch all the wizards would call her She Who Could Not Get Laid aka Lard Voldemort

Tasteticle on

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »

It seems to me like "good writing" is a really subjective term anyway.

How do you define "good writing," anyway? Apparently it isn't "worth $TEXAS" which is fine. Regardless, her writing was very effective, in that it communicated the story in an exciting way with an interesting plot and intriguing characters.

tumblr_lkdt7reOzX1qic2kco1_500.png

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Movies: I agree with vigour
    Books: I agree

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I hated the first few movies because I saw them when I actually cared about the source material. Now I just think the first two are boring as hell.

I liked the third.

Fourth was eh.

Fifth was awful.

And that's all I've seen! I know you all appreciate my valuable opinions on the Harry Potter movie franchise.

(It's surprising that Rupert Grint became the sexiest out of all the actors though.)

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh now I get it.

It's opposite day in this thread.

That's the only way the answer to "hottest actor/actress in HP" is anything but the chick who plays Hermione.

Rupert Grint is Weasley, right? He's the ugliest one except for Neville. And Neville... now that is a unfortunate kid.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People who complain about the quality of writing in young adult fiction

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also, its kind of weird that Part 1 wasn't released in 3D and Part 2 is being released in 3D

Goose! on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i am going to squeal like a girl when
    momma weasley throws down

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had a Harry Potter thread!?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    People who complain about the quality of writing in young adult fiction

I still read it and like it.

Wait, let me change that.

I still let Stephen Fry read it to me and I like it.

KalTorak on