As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Judgement Day and We Can Know: What the hell?

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
What's up with these May 21st Judgement Day people? I know we've had tons of doomsayers all the time FOREVER but this crazies seem to have a huge amount of money dumped into them. Billboards everywhere, some of them LED, fleets of camper vans and semi trailers emblazoned with their particular brand of screwery...

Anyone know the details?

Magic Pink on

• KwornKworn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That day will come and go just like any other

Kworn on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If Terminator has taught me anything, its that Judgement Day is when our Robot Overlords take control and attempt to wipe the human race out. Our savior will come in the form of John Connor who will lead the human resistance against the Machines. He will lead us to victory. Unfortunately, as the Machines lose, time travel is gonna come into play and its going to be a huge mess. We'll also end up with a really crappy sequel the third time they try the time travel bit.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is the first I'm hearing about this. What's the deal with May 21st?

Hexmage-PA on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    If Terminator has taught me anything, its that Judgement Day is when our Robot Overlords take control and attempt to wipe the human race out. Our savior will come in the form of John Connor who will lead the human resistance against the Machines. He will lead us to victory. Unfortunately, as the Machines lose, time travel is gonna come into play and its going to be a huge mess. We'll also end up with a really crappy sequel the third time they try the time travel bit.

We've passed the Terminator date as well (the latest revision was April 21, 2011).

Much like other doomsday events, it also keeps getting pushed back.

T2: 8/29/1997
    T3: 7/25/2004
    SCC: 4/21/2011

Tomanta on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Some kook made a prediction. Unfortunately, the internet is flooded with sites like this, so identifying the specific kook is eluding me.

It should be noted that May is the beginning of the Rapture, the world actually ends in October.

Because that's definitely the timeline laid out in Revelations or something.

Edit: Stolen from wikipedia;
    1994 - Pastor John Hinkle of Christ Church in Los Angeles predicted June 9, 1994. Radio evangelist Harold Camping predicted September 6th, 1994.

2011 - Harold Camping's revised prediction has May 21, 2011 as the date of the rapture.

So that makes the next option April 2028, right?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    This is the first I'm hearing about this. What's the deal with May 21st?

From a wiki on the subject
    The 2011 end times prediction is a prediction made by Christian radio host Harold Camping that the Rapture (in Christian belief, the taking up into heaven of God's elect people) will take place on May 21, 2011[1][2] and that the end of the world as we know it will take place five months later on October 21, 2011,[3] These predictions were made by Camping, president of the Family Radio Christian network, who claims the Bible as his source and says May 21 will be the date of the Rapture and the day of judgment "beyond the shadow of a doubt."[4]. His followers claim that around 200 million people (approximately 3% of the world's population) will be raptured.[5]

Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_end_times_prediction

I predict it will go just like other doomsday has so far.

Taramoor on
    edited May 2011
    I always thought the Rapture would be a pretty cool thing for God to do.

The leaving us secularists here to run things part.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I believe this particular Apocalypse comes to us courtesy of Harold Camping, one of the founders of Family Radio.

Maybe it's because he's got a Christian Radio Station and isn't standing on a street corner shouting at people that people take him seriously and throw money at him.

WotanAnubis on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So many fools

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I believe this particular Apocalypse comes to us courtesy of Harold Camping, one of the founders of Family Radio.

Maybe it's because he's got a Christian Radio Station and isn't standing on a street corner shouting at people that people take him seriously and throw money at him.

Yes, this. The site is www.wecanknow.com and these fruits are EVERYWHERE. CNN even did a report on them and how many people are just dropping everything to help this movement out.

The specific thing thats getting me is the truely heroic amount of fundage they seem to have access to.

Magic Pink on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So many fools

Eventually one of them will be right.

So why not believe the guy who has a radio station and has actively been wrong before?

I do like Harold Camping's prediction though, because it means I"ll have five months to do whatever-the-hell before the planet explodes.

Taramoor on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If I didn't like my car, I'd start collecting judgement day bumper stickers for it. Then I'd add a new one and leave the old one on every time one of the predicted days passes.

Sadly, I don't think the type of folk who believe in that sort of thing would get the point.

Ego on
    Erik
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He's prolly got his budget from all the people who are giving their belongings away because they believe in him and the Rapture, and if I recall Family Radio is always accepting donations.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
    edited May 2011
    Is this another of the "wait on the top of a hill and cheer when Jesus comes down" thing, or will all these people just be disappointed in their own homes?

Because we didn't have youtube when this happened in the 1800's, and it would be a rather interesting sociological piece to see this particular group come to terms with their impending non-rapture.

OptimusZed on

• Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When my dad and I were driving to college and we saw a truck that said "May 21 2011--Judgement day. Repent!"

I thought, shit, I'd better get on that.

But with more thought I think this is just one of those negotiation things, like we'll be good and then they'll move it back to December or something

Ethan Smith on
    edited May 2011
    I think he also said the end of the world would happen in 1996 as well after his 1994 prediction passed.

Also if I insinuated that all those who believe in the Rapture also believe in Harold Camping's prediction, I'm sorry, I did not mean to.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thankfully, their pets will all be safe.

(Yesterday my boss pointed me towards the website of an atheist guy who has a network of volunteers who will rescue your pets in case of rapture for the low-low upfront fee of $135, good for ten years).

Tomanta on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would pay money to bring about the rapture. Life right now is very boring and formulaic. Not necessarily on an individual level, but more so on a global level.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Thankfully, their pets will all be safe.

(Yesterday my boss pointed me towards the website of an atheist guy who has a network of volunteers who will rescue your pets in case of rapture for the low-low upfront fee of $135, good for ten years).

That is awesome! Capitalism, atheism and caring for pets all in one!

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited May 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

According to the book Soon, the global atheist dictatorship will cure cancer, develop telephones that can be implanted in the skull, be full of people willing to give to charity, value intelectualism and humanism and establish world peace (by, admittedly, outlawing religion).

It's written by Jerry Jenkins, the same guy who wrote Left Behind, so it must be true.

WotanAnubis on
    edited May 2011
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I would pay money to bring about the rapture. Life right now is very boring and formulaic. Not necessarily on an individual level, but more so on a global level.

What?

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
    edited May 2011
    Sollah wrote: »

What?

Totally, that's like saying the king's court would be so much funnier if all the jesters left.

Magic Pink on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, serious question. Is there a website where I can buy all the earthly possessions these soon-to-be-saved-loyal-servants-of-our-Lord will no longer need at discount prices? Because.... you know, they should sell all their possessions and give the money to the poor and all that, and now they only have 10 days to do that. So I'm here to help. And if I end up buying a fully-furnished house in California for $1000, well that's just a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sollah wrote: »

What?

We had the rapture it was for bees

Brainleech on
    edited May 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    So, serious question. Is there a website where I can buy all the earthly possessions these soon-to-be-saved-loyal-servants-of-our-Lord will no longer need at discount prices? Because.... you know, they should sell all their possessions and give the money to the poor and all that, and now they only have 10 days to do that. So I'm here to help. And if I end up buying a fully-furnished house in California for $1000, well that's just a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
    You're not the first one to think of this.

But for some bizarre reason (can't possibly imagine why) all offers to buy Camping's and Family Radio's property have been met with silence.

WotanAnubis on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One article I read mentioned a guy bringing a homeless woman up to the Camping people and asking them if they'd give her their money, since they wouldn't have any use for it soon.

Shockingly, they declined.

KalTorak on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's nice to think the world will just end in one day when it's far more likely we'll jsut rot away in obscurity slowly while nobody really notices

like Gary Busey

nexuscrawler on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

According to the book Soon, the global atheist dictatorship will cure cancer, develop telephones that can be implanted in the skull, be full of people willing to give to charity, value intelectualism and humanism and establish world peace (by, admittedly, outlawing religion).

It's written by Jerry Jenkins, the same guy who wrote Left Behind, so it must be true.

Sounds like a real hell on Earth.

Seriously...I'm not religious, but I also don't buy into the "religion is the root of all evil" arguments. However, I realize that I have a fundamental disconnect with some of my fellow human beings when they present the argument for religion that it is the only thing keeping us from achieving world peace and inventing a machine that sends blowjobs over the Internet.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Yes, this. The site is www.wecanknow.com and these fruits are EVERYWHERE. CNN even did a report on them and how many people are just dropping everything to help this movement out.

The specific thing thats getting me is the truely heroic amount of fundage they seem to have access to.
    Richy wrote: »

I strongly suspect one or more of our erstwhile financial institutions is already holding the long position on this one. A belief that the end of the world is nigh is an excellent reason to buy everything on credit.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

edited May 2011

Seriously...I'm not religious, but I also don't buy into the "religion is the root of all evil" arguments. However, I realize that I have a fundamental disconnect with some of my fellow human beings when they present the argument for religion that it is the only thing keeping us from achieving world peace and inventing a machine that sends blowjobs over the Internet.

But this thread really isn't about religion and I'd like to make sure it doesn't steer into those waters. It's about rampant, well funded craziness which, yes, is capable of describing some religions but it can also describe NASCAR.

Also, I miss the cute bees. :cry:

Magic Pink on
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

But this thread really isn't about religion and I'd like to make sure it doesn't steer into those waters. It's about rampant, well funded craziness which, yes, is capable of describing some religions but it can also describe NASCAR.

Also, I miss the cute bees. :cry:

Agreed - not trying to turn the thread into "lol religion". It's hard to take it completely out of the discussion, though, as Camping's ideas are intimately tied up with some fringe Christian beliefs. There are also some interesting parallels to the Second Great Awakening, the Millerites, and the Great Disappointment.

For those who aren't familiar with it: religiosity in the U.S. has been observed to go through ups and downs over the years. The high points are the "Great Awakenings". These occur in the early 18th century (First GA: 1730-1750), the early 19th (Second GA: 1810-1840), the late 19th/early 20th (Third GA: 1880-1910). Arguably, we are currently in the Fourth, starting with the "Jesus movement" in the 1970s. These periods correspond with a more public and populist religious sentiment, huge religious gatherings, and movement away from traditional or mainstream denominations to new ones. In the Second and Third Great Awakenings, these new movements were often Restorationist in nature, which is to say that they took the position that everyone except the earliest Christians had screwed everything up, and people had to return to the way things were done during earlier times. The Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, etc all come out of these times. The various Tridentine and Secedeventist movements within Catholicism could also, arguably, be understood in this way (these are the people like Mel Gibson's dad, who reject Vatican II, attended Latin masses, and, in extreme cases, argue that the more recent popes are not really popes).

Anyway - the Second Great Awakening basically ended when this guy, William Miller, said that Jesus was going to return in Oct 22nd, 1844. The whole "rapture" concept wasn't really fleshed out at this point, but a lot of the ideas were similar. The Millerites differed from other groups that had predicted the end of the world because they had left the fringe and become a national movement in the U.S. in the 1840s (estimates of up to half a million followers), similar to Camping. People had sold all their property and otherwise given up their day-to-day lives because of these beliefs, just like Camping. And, likely as will be the case with Camping, the world didn't end and Jesus didn't show up (although the leader of the Bahai began teaching in Iran at this time).

In the aftermath, all sorts of things happened. The Millerites were openly mocked in the street by people. Churches were burned, gunfights happened, etc. Some people left their beliefs behind, others doubled down on them (Seventh Day Adventists, for example, can be traced back to this time). In the wider society, religion certainly didn't disappear, but people did start looking at it as more of private, personal matter that was separate from their day-to-day lives and less as a public identity which one assumed all the time.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

edited May 2011
    I just think it would be a lot more interesting to live in a post-apocalyptic world than the rat race world we live in today. I mean, I'm not kidding myself, I'd probably be dead in a week or two tops, but man, it would be an interesting week or two. Just like in those internet quizzes, I'd rather live in interesting times.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    edited May 2011
    I just think it would be a lot more interesting to live in a post-apocalyptic world than the rat race world we live in today. I mean, I'm not kidding myself, I'd probably be dead in a week or two tops, but man, it would be an interesting week or two. Just like in those internet quizzes, I'd rather live in interesting times.

The Rapture won't be post-apocalyptic tho. We'll just lose less then 2% of the population. At worst, there'll be a few car accidents but that should be minimized because of that WONDERFUL bumper sticker campaign they did.

Which reminds me of a great sticker I saw: "In the evenrt of the Rapture, I will steal your car."

Magic Pink on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

How can you not be interested by the present? We have literally more knowledge than we have ever had before. I really fail to see how the present is not interesting. I mean if you are into that whole survival thing, just go try to live in the rain forest or the desert for a couple weeks. See how "interesting" it is before you die there. Seriously, if you are bored in this world it is your own damn fault. You can literally go and do anything, see anything and learn anything.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
    edited May 2011
    It won't be post-apocalyptic with that attitude anyway. I have enough faith in the human race that a sudden 2% removal of all humans can absolutely end in chaos, riots, anarchy, and breakdown of governments. You just have to have some faith.

darklite_x on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cross posted from the other Apocalypse thread, as this one is ongoing and the other has passed.

Ugh.

I have a friend who says that she has recently been researching Nibiru and it hurts my head. Between that and the May 21st shit and the Dec 2012 shit I'm beginning to wonder if we won't see a minor but calculable drop in population in the next year and a half... though that might just be Darwin in action.

Which is a rather callous thing to say, but I have a hard time taking people seriously when I read shit like this. A 14 on the Richter scale. So over 1,000 times more powerful than anything recorded in recent history?

Looking at things on the geological and galactic scale, there's a lot of bad shit that can happen to our planet and species, but the statistical likelyhood of another ice age rushing in or a ELE comet slamming into the world during our brief lifespan is pretty low. The effects are immediate for many disasters, but their occurence is so infrequent that we have to use an awful lot of zeros to represent when the last one was.

I guess I'm just venting a bit, but it does make me want to grab people and ask how they're going to spend the last 2 weeks / 20 months in this life. If someone really, truly believed, wouldn't they be making the most of it? And as noted before, I'm sure sadly enough some will take these declarations seriously enough to do possibly rash things, and that's so very sad.

As a topically related aside; I would be greatly amused if "the Rapture" came and South Park style, it wasn't for whom believers thought it was. Like, all Muslims went, or the Aethiests/Agnostics. Because God has a sense of humour, and that would be really, really funny. (and tragic as planes dropped out of the sky and traffic accidents occurred, etc, but hillarious all the same)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I never heard of the details about the rapture before, like the leaving behind of unbelievers.

Is there an actual downside to the rapture?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I never heard of the details about the rapture before, like the leaving behind of unbelievers.

Is there an actual downside to the rapture?

Giant scorpion tiger lizards with a thousand mouths that breath fire, or something like that.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
    edited May 2011
    Well, I'm pretty sure what follows the rapture is the damnation and destruction of the world. Of course, it's been a looooong time since I've studied any religion so I could just be pulling shit out of my ass.

darklite_x on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    People who suggest we will collide with an unknown planet are extra silly, where would this planet have been hiding all the time?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot