Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Judgement Day and We Can Know: What the hell?

145791030

Posts

  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Spicy Rudolph Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Reaganism.

    Reagan smash!

    jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    6 PM in every timezone. By the time 6 PM hits any US timezones, it will have moved through 16 or 17 timezones already. Surely the rapture would have been noticed by then.
    No, it won't. The Rapture is nearly a complete US-only thing. Since one of the conditions for getting Raptured is believing in the Rapture, this means almost nobody is going to vanish until 6 PM hits the US.

    Oh, there'll be a few disappearances, I have no doubt, but not nearly enough for people to really sit up and take notice (or connect their disappearance to the Rapture).

    Unless all children get Raptured (due to them not having reached the age of accountability or some such thing). In which case, people won't notice the Rapture, as such, they'll only notice that their children are gone.

    Camping and his cultists believe it is pre-destined, nothing you do will affect your rapture or non-rapture.

    At least, that's how I understood it.


    WHAT

    Then why the hell are they spending all this money to make sure people know? Jeeze, I could have done this SO much better.

    Magic Pink on
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmm... "23 year great tribulation" huh?

    Let's see here, 2011 minus 23 years equals... 1988.

    Yep, that's what I thought. Reagan no longer being President triggered armageddon. 50 years from now, I would seriously not be surprised to see these people literally worshiping Reagan as the second coming of Christ.

    Ahahaha, I cannot imagine what a terrible "Great Tribulation" these poor, unfortunate middle-to-upper class Christian Americans must have been going through for the last 23 years. Surely they must really deserve the rapture by now with all the new taxes and evolution taught in schools they've been subjected to.

    Winky on
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    6 PM in every timezone. By the time 6 PM hits any US timezones, it will have moved through 16 or 17 timezones already. Surely the rapture would have been noticed by then.
    No, it won't. The Rapture is nearly a complete US-only thing. Since one of the conditions for getting Raptured is believing in the Rapture, this means almost nobody is going to vanish until 6 PM hits the US.

    Oh, there'll be a few disappearances, I have no doubt, but not nearly enough for people to really sit up and take notice (or connect their disappearance to the Rapture).

    Unless all children get Raptured (due to them not having reached the age of accountability or some such thing). In which case, people won't notice the Rapture, as such, they'll only notice that their children are gone.

    Camping and his cultists believe it is pre-destined, nothing you do will affect your rapture or non-rapture.

    At least, that's how I understood it.


    WHAT

    Then why the hell are they spending all this money to make sure people know? Jeeze, I could have done this SO much better.

    I guess it's less missionary and more "I told you so" victorious crowing.

    Except it's a bit embarrassing when you prematurely declare victory.

    KalTorak on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hope this hasn't been posted already.

    These atheists will take care of your pets in the event of Rapture occurring.

    original-5.jpg

    Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hmm... "23 year great tribulation" huh?

    Let's see here, 2011 minus 23 years equals... 1988.

    Yep, that's what I thought. Reagan no longer being President triggered armageddon. 50 years from now, I would seriously not be surprised to see these people literally worshiping Reagan as the second coming of Christ.

    Man I've been saying Reagan is the Antichrist...

    Octoparrot on
    the GOP shouldn't give a rats ass about them since they won't vote for them. If someone won't vote for you they might as well not exist.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm sure they are quite serious about taking your money.

    shryke on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Jehova's Witnesses alone predicted one about every 15 years at the beginning of the 20th century.

    How in the world does that religion still have any credibility to its followers when its leaders have already attempted to predict the end of the world and been wrong at least half a dozen times?

    Hexmage-PA on
    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    People are stupid?

    xraydog on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The Jehova's Witnesses alone predicted one about every 15 years at the beginning of the 20th century.

    How in the world does that religion still have any credibility to its followers when its leaders have already attempted to predict the end of the world and been wrong at least half a dozen times?

    It's the religious equivalent of an abused spouse who has nowhere else to go.

    "Next prediction it'll be different"

    Octoparrot on
    the GOP shouldn't give a rats ass about them since they won't vote for them. If someone won't vote for you they might as well not exist.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The Jehova's Witnesses alone predicted one about every 15 years at the beginning of the 20th century.

    How in the world does that religion still have any credibility to its followers when its leaders have already attempted to predict the end of the world and been wrong at least half a dozen times?

    I guess it's just one of those things these people want to err on the side of caution on?

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I listened to the Talk of Iowa program again, and the believer they had on there, when asked what he would do if he woke up on the 22nd and the world hadn't ended, responded that he could not even conceive of that possibility. That it was like trying to ask him, a devout Christian to respond to what it would be like if he didn't believe in God.

    I want to find out what this guy's reaction is like on the 22nd. I really do.

    DarkPrimus on
    wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As much as it would be delicious to see them all wondering why their god/prophet had deserted them, and maybe converting to atheism in droves, or something... people are just too resilient and flexible.

    It's like when someone says, "I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to lose a parent." And then one day they lose a parent, inevitably. And it's pretty bad, but most people quietly deal with the grief and are back at work the next day, you know?

    gilrain on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's not to say that I'm not looking forward to the 22nd. In this day and age, you just know there'll be plenty of undercover people videotaping reactions and posting them all to YouTube. This is the first widely-publicized/believed prediction since 1995, before it would've been common to document everything online. It'll be very interesting. I expect mostly quiet disappointment followed by immediate rationalizing, though.

    (There are a lot of groups that are organizing to be gathered in churches for this event. If you have the balls to infiltrate, feel free to be among those entering undercover with a well-charged cell phone. Chruches almost always have open doors policies.)

    gilrain on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The trouble with videotaping a large gathering like a church is that the specific time at which it will happen has been so vague that you'd have to tape the entire day to really capture the gradual realization. It won't happen all at once, it will happen over the course of the entire day.

    Taramoor on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The trouble with videotaping a large gathering like a church is that the specific time at which it will happen has been so vague that you'd have to tape the entire day to really capture the gradual realization. It won't happen all at once, it will happen over the course of the entire day.

    I thought it was going to be 6pm in every time zone.

    Octoparrot on
    the GOP shouldn't give a rats ass about them since they won't vote for them. If someone won't vote for you they might as well not exist.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The more I think about it, the more I'm expecting some people who go missing (and obviously people go missing every day around the world) to be noted as having been Raptured. And then somebody using that as ammunition to point out that everyone who thought they were going to be Raptured and weren't were clearly bad/evil/wrong/going to hell.

    ... that could get ugly pretty quickly.

    I mean it's the logical conclusion, right? (lawl, logic)

    If the good people/people chosen by lottery are going to be saved on a date, and you don't find yourself in heaven by the 22nd, then clearly you didn't make it.

    ... and this is where I fear the murder/suicides might set in.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I'm expecting some people who go missing (and obviously people go missing every day around the world) to be noted as having been Raptured. And then somebody using that as ammunition to point out that everyone who thought they were going to be Raptured and weren't were clearly bad/evil/wrong/going to hell.

    ... that could get ugly pretty quickly.

    I mean it's the logical conclusion, right? (lawl, logic)

    If the good people/people chosen by lottery are going to be saved on a date, and you don't find yourself in heaven by the 22nd, then clearly you didn't make it.

    ... and this is where I fear the murder/suicides might set in.

    Predictions like this come along every few years, and the world hasn't descended into madness and bloodshed yet.

    I'm not worried about it. Most people will just go "Oh the preacher was mistaken THIS time." and go about their day.

    The people who set everything up so they'd be out of money on the 22nd, well... they'll probably blame Obama and the government and then go pickup a welfare check so they can start looking for work the next day.

    Taramoor on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I'm expecting some people who go missing (and obviously people go missing every day around the world) to be noted as having been Raptured. And then somebody using that as ammunition to point out that everyone who thought they were going to be Raptured and weren't were clearly bad/evil/wrong/going to hell.

    ... that could get ugly pretty quickly.

    I mean it's the logical conclusion, right? (lawl, logic)

    If the good people/people chosen by lottery are going to be saved on a date, and you don't find yourself in heaven by the 22nd, then clearly you didn't make it.

    ... and this is where I fear the murder/suicides might set in.

    Truly, Whitey Bulger and Jimmy Hoffa were too good for this world.

    Bagginses on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I'm expecting some people who go missing (and obviously people go missing every day around the world) to be noted as having been Raptured. And then somebody using that as ammunition to point out that everyone who thought they were going to be Raptured and weren't were clearly bad/evil/wrong/going to hell.

    ... that could get ugly pretty quickly.

    I mean it's the logical conclusion, right? (lawl, logic)

    If the good people/people chosen by lottery are going to be saved on a date, and you don't find yourself in heaven by the 22nd, then clearly you didn't make it.

    ... and this is where I fear the murder/suicides might set in.

    Aren't there supposed to be like 7 trumpets or some such can't-possibly-miss-it phenomena? I don't think the die hard believers are going to think they missed it and go murder-suicide given the choice of: The idiot on the radio was wrong vs The Bible was wrong

    ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kongo wrote: »
    The thing is, if memory serves (and I could very well be wrong), the Bible is very specific in Revelation that you should not a.) try to predict when The End will come and b.) you should NOT be welcoming it and treating it as some kind of wonderful thing. The idea being that both things are basically trying to put oneself in God's shoes by deciding when it will happen and who will be in the Rapture (similar to "Judge not, lest ye be judged."). So yeah, pretty stupid even from a believer's perspective...

    I believe you, but I would like to see the quotes about not trying to predict it else you'll go to hell, as those would be interesting to read.

    The nice part about this apocalypse is if the rapture DOES happen, we have till October before the world actually ends, so we get to spend that time going "oh shit, guess we should get all repenty." Not that I particularly think I do anything ridiculously terrible, but hey second chances woo.

    SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    xraydog wrote: »
    People are stupid?

    I wouldn't say it's stupidity, but a lot of it is borne out of a desire to have the easiest route possible in any situation. For these people buying into Judgment Day on the 21st, while they won't acknowledge it, they're looking for the easy way out of any responsibility.

    DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The trouble with videotaping a large gathering like a church is that the specific time at which it will happen has been so vague that you'd have to tape the entire day to really capture the gradual realization. It won't happen all at once, it will happen over the course of the entire day.

    I thought it was going to be 6pm in every time zone.

    This is still the funniest part of the whole thing to me.

    "The Rapture will happen at 6 PM in every time zone! The Bible tells me so!"

    "Wait time zones weren't even invented unti--"

    "RRRRRAAAAPTURE!!"

    DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kongo wrote: »
    The thing is, if memory serves (and I could very well be wrong), the Bible is very specific in Revelation that you should not a.) try to predict when The End will come and b.) you should NOT be welcoming it and treating it as some kind of wonderful thing. The idea being that both things are basically trying to put oneself in God's shoes by deciding when it will happen and who will be in the Rapture (similar to "Judge not, lest ye be judged."). So yeah, pretty stupid even from a believer's perspective...

    I believe you, but I would like to see the quotes about not trying to predict it else you'll go to hell, as those would be interesting to read.

    The nice part about this apocalypse is if the rapture DOES happen, we have till October before the world actually ends, so we get to spend that time going "oh shit, guess we should get all repenty." Not that I particularly think I do anything ridiculously terrible, but hey second chances woo.

    Technically you don't get a second chance. If you haven't poofed by May 21st, you get to die a horrible death with the rest of us.

    Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »

    Heaven is an 80's music video?

    *Starts looking up local churches*

    Caveman Paws on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dracil wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kongo wrote: »
    The thing is, if memory serves (and I could very well be wrong), the Bible is very specific in Revelation that you should not a.) try to predict when The End will come and b.) you should NOT be welcoming it and treating it as some kind of wonderful thing. The idea being that both things are basically trying to put oneself in God's shoes by deciding when it will happen and who will be in the Rapture (similar to "Judge not, lest ye be judged."). So yeah, pretty stupid even from a believer's perspective...

    I believe you, but I would like to see the quotes about not trying to predict it else you'll go to hell, as those would be interesting to read.

    The nice part about this apocalypse is if the rapture DOES happen, we have till October before the world actually ends, so we get to spend that time going "oh shit, guess we should get all repenty." Not that I particularly think I do anything ridiculously terrible, but hey second chances woo.

    Technically you don't get a second chance. If you haven't poofed by May 21st, you get to die a horrible death with the rest of us.


    Not according to the Last Stand books! What the hell is the point of a five month period of horrificness then? Or is this just the "we can know" people's idea?

    SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The Jehova's Witnesses alone predicted one about every 15 years at the beginning of the 20th century.

    How in the world does that religion still have any credibility to its followers when its leaders have already attempted to predict the end of the world and been wrong at least half a dozen times?

    It's the religious equivalent of an abused spouse who has nowhere else to go.

    "Next prediction it'll be different"

    Incidentally, the excuse for a wrong prediction is, "God decided to spare us."

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Not according to the Last Stand books! What the hell is the point of a five month period of horrificness then? Or is this just the "we can know" people's idea?

    By "Last Stand" would you happen to mean "Left Behind"?

    If so, do I ever have a topically appropriate link for you;

    http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/left_behind/page/33/

    A breakdown of part of the series, which happens to be tied heavily to the concept of the Rapture. Here is a quote I like that seems highly fitting to the issues we're seeing currently;
    L.B.: The denial of death

    Left Behind, pp. 4-5

    Left Behind has been praised by some as an "evangelistic" book, but it's not. Although the book does attempt to scare people into conversion, that is secondary. The authors' real message for those they regard as unsaved is to thumb their nose and do a little victory dance. "You just wait until Jesus gets back and proves we were right and you were wrong. Then we'll see who's laughing at who."

    Not the most winsome approach to sharing one's faith.

    But the biggest reason this is not an "evangelistic" book is that it does not present the Christian gospel. It presents something else.

    Rayford Steele bemoan's his newly converted (and therefore newly sexually repugnant) wife's "preoccupation with the end of the world, with the love of Jesus, with the salvation of souls."

    That is a disturbing listing of the content and priorities of L&J's brand of Christianity. Even more disturbing is Irene Steele's one-sentence summary of the gospel:

    "Can you imagine, Rafe," she exulted. "Jesus coming back to get us before we die?"

    This is the crux of the matter. This is the Gospel According to Tim & Jerry. But it is not the gospel of Christianity.

    Christians, in the words of the Nicene Creed, "look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come." We believe, in the words of the Apostle's Creed, in "the resurrection of the body."

    L&J are not interested in resurrection. Resurrection is something that happens to dead people, and L&J don't want to die. Death scares them. And that, more than anything else, explains what rapture-mania is all about.

    Christianity is about death and resurrection, not about the denial of death. Not about "Jesus coming back to get us before we die."

    This escapist fantasy of a gospel isn't just bad theology. It's cruel. Consider the poor souls clinging to this hope who get the big bad news from their doctor. Consider those who have lost a husband, wife, mother, father, daughter or son. Consider all those who have died and all those they have left behind.

    More on this later.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kongo wrote: »
    The thing is, if memory serves (and I could very well be wrong), the Bible is very specific in Revelation that you should not a.) try to predict when The End will come and b.) you should NOT be welcoming it and treating it as some kind of wonderful thing. The idea being that both things are basically trying to put oneself in God's shoes by deciding when it will happen and who will be in the Rapture (similar to "Judge not, lest ye be judged."). So yeah, pretty stupid even from a believer's perspective...

    I believe you, but I would like to see the quotes about not trying to predict it else you'll go to hell, as those would be interesting to read.

    The nice part about this apocalypse is if the rapture DOES happen, we have till October before the world actually ends, so we get to spend that time going "oh shit, guess we should get all repenty." Not that I particularly think I do anything ridiculously terrible, but hey second chances woo.

    Technically you don't get a second chance. If you haven't poofed by May 21st, you get to die a horrible death with the rest of us.


    Not according to the Last Stand books! What the hell is the point of a five month period of horrificness then? Or is this just the "we can know" people's idea?

    There are a bunch of variations on the rapture as to when and how it's supposed to happen. It's basically Bible fanfiction, so you can just make up whatever you want!

    juice for jesus on
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    That's just insulting, I think DBZ is bad but I'm not going to insinuate that it only appeals to people who are equal parts retards and psychopaths.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Not according to the Last Stand books! What the hell is the point of a five month period of horrificness then? Or is this just the "we can know" people's idea?

    By "Last Stand" would you happen to mean "Left Behind"?

    If so, do I ever have a topically appropriate link for you;

    http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/left_behind/page/33/

    A breakdown of part of the series, which happens to be tied heavily to the concept of the Rapture. Here is a quote I like that seems highly fitting to the issues we're seeing currently;
    L.B.: The denial of death

    Left Behind, pp. 4-5

    Left Behind has been praised by some as an "evangelistic" book, but it's not. Although the book does attempt to scare people into conversion, that is secondary. The authors' real message for those they regard as unsaved is to thumb their nose and do a little victory dance. "You just wait until Jesus gets back and proves we were right and you were wrong. Then we'll see who's laughing at who."

    Not the most winsome approach to sharing one's faith.

    But the biggest reason this is not an "evangelistic" book is that it does not present the Christian gospel. It presents something else.

    Rayford Steele bemoan's his newly converted (and therefore newly sexually repugnant) wife's "preoccupation with the end of the world, with the love of Jesus, with the salvation of souls."

    That is a disturbing listing of the content and priorities of L&J's brand of Christianity. Even more disturbing is Irene Steele's one-sentence summary of the gospel:

    "Can you imagine, Rafe," she exulted. "Jesus coming back to get us before we die?"

    This is the crux of the matter. This is the Gospel According to Tim & Jerry. But it is not the gospel of Christianity.

    Christians, in the words of the Nicene Creed, "look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come." We believe, in the words of the Apostle's Creed, in "the resurrection of the body."

    L&J are not interested in resurrection. Resurrection is something that happens to dead people, and L&J don't want to die. Death scares them. And that, more than anything else, explains what rapture-mania is all about.

    Christianity is about death and resurrection, not about the denial of death. Not about "Jesus coming back to get us before we die."

    This escapist fantasy of a gospel isn't just bad theology. It's cruel. Consider the poor souls clinging to this hope who get the big bad news from their doctor. Consider those who have lost a husband, wife, mother, father, daughter or son. Consider all those who have died and all those they have left behind.

    More on this later.

    I did mean Left Behind! I only read the first five or so. I liked the gun that shot frisbees. Then I gave up as they got too preachy. I liked the post apocalyptic story though.

    But yeah, interested to see interviews on the 22nd.

    SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ....if you read 5 books, you read way past the point that they got preachy. Shit, if you read 5 pages you'd probably managed that.

    JihadJesus on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited May 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kongo wrote: »
    The thing is, if memory serves (and I could very well be wrong), the Bible is very specific in Revelation that you should not a.) try to predict when The End will come and b.) you should NOT be welcoming it and treating it as some kind of wonderful thing. The idea being that both things are basically trying to put oneself in God's shoes by deciding when it will happen and who will be in the Rapture (similar to "Judge not, lest ye be judged."). So yeah, pretty stupid even from a believer's perspective...

    I believe you, but I would like to see the quotes about not trying to predict it else you'll go to hell, as those would be interesting to read.

    The nice part about this apocalypse is if the rapture DOES happen, we have till October before the world actually ends, so we get to spend that time going "oh shit, guess we should get all repenty." Not that I particularly think I do anything ridiculously terrible, but hey second chances woo.

    Technically you don't get a second chance. If you haven't poofed by May 21st, you get to die a horrible death with the rest of us.


    Not according to the Last Stand books! What the hell is the point of a five month period of horrificness then? Or is this just the "we can know" people's idea?

    Yeah, it really depends on your particular flavor of Christianity. According to some, I'd be raptured on the 21st because I was a Christian when I was a teenager.

    Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Kongo wrote: »
    The thing is, if memory serves (and I could very well be wrong), the Bible is very specific in Revelation that you should not a.) try to predict when The End will come and b.) you should NOT be welcoming it and treating it as some kind of wonderful thing. The idea being that both things are basically trying to put oneself in God's shoes by deciding when it will happen and who will be in the Rapture (similar to "Judge not, lest ye be judged."). So yeah, pretty stupid even from a believer's perspective...

    I believe you, but I would like to see the quotes about not trying to predict it else you'll go to hell, as those would be interesting to read.

    The nice part about this apocalypse is if the rapture DOES happen, we have till October before the world actually ends, so we get to spend that time going "oh shit, guess we should get all repenty." Not that I particularly think I do anything ridiculously terrible, but hey second chances woo.

    Technically you don't get a second chance. If you haven't poofed by May 21st, you get to die a horrible death with the rest of us.


    Not according to the Last Stand books! What the hell is the point of a five month period of horrificness then? Or is this just the "we can know" people's idea?

    There are a bunch of variations on the rapture as to when and how it's supposed to happen. It's basically Bible fanfiction, so you can just make up whatever you want!

    In Judaism, the going theory among the people who actually think about it (like the afterlife, it's unimportant background stuff even in the eyes of the ultraorthodox) is that everybody comes back from the dead and, along with the living, eats the corpses of Bar Juchne/Ziz, the Leviathan, and the Behemoth, who killed each other in a great final battle, as well as the salted remains of the Leviathan's mate (yes, out apocalypse myth includes lox, deal with it).

    Bagginses on
  • GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The Jehova's Witnesses alone predicted one about every 15 years at the beginning of the 20th century.

    How in the world does that religion still have any credibility to its followers when its leaders have already attempted to predict the end of the world and been wrong at least half a dozen times?

    It's the religious equivalent of an abused spouse who has nowhere else to go.

    "Next prediction it'll be different"

    Incidentally, the excuse for a wrong prediction is, "God decided to spare us."

    That, and/or "We were deceived by Satan."

    Last year, there was a guy on YouTube who went by the name of weatherbill7. You can still find some of his rants if you look around. He predicted that a huge earthquake would destroy the West Coast on September 3rd. His evidence consisted of playing cards and random people who told him about their dreams.

    When it didn't happen, he looked around frantically for an explanation, found a church rally that happened to be going on the same day, and said, "There! That's why it didn't happen! Also, Satan!"

    Then he went on to predict a tsunami in Japan...three months after it happened.

    Yeah.

    Grombar on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User
    edited May 2011
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »
    In Judaism, the going theory among the people who actually think about it (like the afterlife, it's unimportant background stuff even in the eyes of the ultraorthodox) is that everybody comes back from the dead and, along with the living, eats the corpses of Bar Juchne/Ziz, the Leviathan, and the Behemoth, who killed each other in a great final battle, as well as the salted remains of the Leviathan's mate (yes, out apocalypse myth includes lox, deal with it).
    Leviathan and Behemoth are kosher?

    Learn something new every day.

    WotanAnubis on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    HOLY FUCK GUYS IT'S IN THREE DAYS WE ARE SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWED

    Magic Pink on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yesterday I went and "bought" a new Porsche 911 Turbo.

    Suckers... they won't even see the first payment.

    Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    :^:

    Magic Pink on
145791030
Sign In or Register to comment.