Options

Mass 3ffect: 2012

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ahahahahhaahaaha callous disregard for life.

classic.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Gerber company was never quite the same after the major shareholder's children were kidnapped and ransomed by a Batarian interest group.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    microwaves aren't even alive

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dharma Bum wrote: »
    Elixir wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Uh Batman doesn't murder criminals.

Shep doesn't murder them per se, he just permanently imprisons their souls outside their bodies.

Big difference.

Pretty sure that's still murder. And the people whose cause celebre is the actual act of murder, in huge numbers, would probably defend that fact.

It was...
    a joke?

Unnecessary paragon interrupts make all our lives more awkward.

Seriously. All that trouble to set up a deadpan moment....

I was looking for an awkward grinning maleshep picture to add. Doesn't quite work without it.

I have to go...

Edit: HA found one!
    4858756719_9a7af728de_b.jpg

Elixir on
    ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arrival was a little disappointing in that it has one of the oldest and tiredest plot devices ever

But!

The whole forcing you to be the one to push the "Kill a shitload of aliens" was pretty memorable.

Seriously though "Oh no! You died! ....surprise they just captured you instead!" is some lazy worn out shit :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hate unwinnable battles in video games too. It's a cheat. I'd rather they just showed it in a cutscene rather than throwing wave after wave of enemies at me until I lose during active gameplay. It genuinely does break immersion, even though obviously their strategy was to mitigate it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well they already used "Oh no! You died! ...Oh wait, you got better."

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oddly I didn't mind that and actually loved it.

Probably because it was epic cutscene time instead of false gameplay time.

One thing I learned in DnD both as a player and a DM: Players really tend to not like the "face endless enemies until you all fall so that you can wake up imprisioned!"

The only way to make it worse is to cap it off with "It was all just a dream wooOOooOOooOOoo!"

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shepard is a mental patient on Earth having visions of the Reapers just before all life ends.

SO DEEP!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh god

Now the sick and twisted part of me is hoping that's how ME3 ends.

Your shep, laying in a hospital bed, a little drool at the corner of their mouth

The camera pans over to a newspaper (it's always a newspaper) revealing it's preset day

I can almost hear the Bioware forums now and the sound pleases me

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shepard is a mental patient on Earth having visions of the Reapers just before all life ends.

SO DEEP!

eternalfaq_bevel4.jpg

MAY THE RATS EAT YOUR EYES

Oats on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No. It'll end like the remake of Planet of the Apes. Shepard gets back to Earth, and the Lincoln Memorial is a batarian...along with everyone else.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oats wrote: »
    MAY THE RATS EAT YOUR EYES

BestGame reference.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I hate unwinnable battles in video games too. It's a cheat. I'd rather they just showed it in a cutscene rather than throwing wave after wave of enemies at me until I lose during active gameplay. It genuinely does break immersion, even though obviously their strategy was to mitigate it.

Really? I'd definitely prefer a hard battle where your unlikely victory means you get to skip the lose scene and advance with some added benefit, but I also prefer the half-and-half current over losing in a cutscene, which is the lamest thing and way more immersion-breaking than losing in gameplay. Whenever a major event has to happen in a cutscene that can't be counted on the player to perform, it's a narrative square peg in round hole. See: shuttle jamboree.

I was pissed off so many times in Assassin's Creed 2 at how incredibly fucking stupid Ezio was in cutscenes, where the whole last stretch of the game was shit that wouldn't have happened had he just done what I'd have done.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I do enjoy battles you can in fact win for some benefit even if you're 'supposed' to lose. Even if it's just your enemy acknowledging how bad fucking ass you are and then blasting you with a super weapon in a scene. Suikoden III had a good number of them, and winning them was part of getting the 108 stars ending.

Had a D&D battle like that once where my Sorcerer was isolated by a entire troop of Orcs. She managed to almost take down the entire lot, but ended up regaining consciousness imprisoned. I didn't much like it at first, but she had a great time in the fight and had some major badass rep the rest of the campaign as a result.

It's cliche and often unpopular, but it CAN be done right.

Has anyone killed that diaper straddling abomination yet?

Daris on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Can you actually win the fight at the reaper artifact though?

Because fuck I'd do that whole mission over again if you could but I didn't even bother trying since I assumed there was absolutely no way to survive it when you take the timer into account.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    alreadyprocessed.jpg

Now coming to a colony near you!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Because fuck I'd do that whole mission over again if you could but I didn't even bother trying since I assumed there was absolutely no way to survive it when you take the timer into account.

Sort of. If you can kill all the mooks, the reaper artifact mind fucks Shepard into submission. Further increasing the size of your e-peen, nabbing you a cheevo and further reinforcing the point that it takes a Reaper or Reaper agent to even have a chance in hell of killing Shep.

Elixir on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    alreadyprocessed.jpg

Now coming to a colony near you!

Subtle but excellent.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Sort of. If you can kill all the mooks, the reaper artifact mind fucks Shepard into submission. Further increasing the size of your e-peen, nabbing you a cheevo and further reinforcing the point that it takes a Reaper or Reaper agent to even have a chance in hell of killing Shep.

Hmm.

On the one had I enjoy cheevos

On the other hand I think I'd have to do the whole thing over from the start and that fight was kind of a pain as an infiltrator

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Hmm.

On the one had I enjoy cheevos

On the other hand I think I'd have to do the whole thing over from the start and that fight was kind of a pain as an infiltrator

Ah, I could see that. I just rolled face as an adept. Deep Statis + wide singulaity + mattock. They didn't stand a chance, seeing as 50% of the baddies were stunlocked at any given point in time.

As a tip the arc projector is pretty useful against small groups during the fight.

Elixir on

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love the arc projector so much.

My favorite heavy weapon as a vanguard.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's a really good point

My widow maker always makes me forget I have a heavy weapon

Or any other gun at all really

On a side note my vanguard maleshep in ME1 is nealy able to purchase the retardedly good sniper rifle from the Normandy supply guy and it'll definitely be in my hands before I do Noveria.

This pleases me.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is only tangentially related but: can you use an external hard drive to store game saves, etc. on the 360?

When I went to download Arrival, it told me I had filled up my drive. I went through and deleted stuff I didn't want anymore, but I know that this is just going to end up happening again eventually, and I'd prefer to not pay the $90 MS wants for the 360-branded external hard drives.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This is only tangentially related but: can you use an external hard drive to store game saves, etc. on the 360?

When I went to download Arrival, it told me I had filled up my drive. I went through and deleted stuff I didn't want anymore, but I know that this is just going to end up happening again eventually, and I'd prefer to not pay the $90 MS wants for the 360-branded external hard drives.

I know you can format thumb drives to hold 360 savegames, but keep in mind that the drive can only have 360 data on it. The formatting wipes everything on the drive. Its good for backing up saves, but not DLC.

Elixir on

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I don't know about full on hard drives, but USB memory drives work fine. I think they've got a size limit on how much space can be used with the 360 (16Gig I think, but I could be wrong.), but there's enough for a fair bit of DLC.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    afieize.jpg

Pretty sure you're wrong, Windows! Don't know what that's about.
    On a side note my vanguard maleshep in ME1 is nealy able to purchase the retardedly good sniper rifle from the Normandy supply guy and it'll definitely be in my hands before I do Noveria.

If it's not the Spectre sniper rifle, you might want to hold out. The Spectre gear unlocks with the rich achievement - getting 1 million credits - and is better than any other weapon in class, so any large expenses on weapons/armor/whatevs before then delay it.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    REALLY PISSED OFF with the ps3 version of ME2 right now....
    why the hell arent the "Project over load" & "shadow Broker" mission kept locked away from me until i beat the dam game? ugh...

zllehs on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why would they need to be? LotSB, as far as I know, makes decent sense at any time. Don't know about Overlord.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    zllehs wrote: »
    REALLY PISSED OFF with the ps3 version of ME2 right now....
    why the hell arent the "Project over load" & "shadow Broker" mission kept locked away from me until i beat the dam game? ugh...

Err.
    Why would they need to be?

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    LotSB is better before you beat the game because it gets you credits/upgrades/minerals and the best loyalty power. Overlord fits in wherever, it doesn't tie into the rest of the game at all.

Arrival is the only DLC that really feels like its post game.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    lol you guys sure? because im only pissed because im afraid of potential spoilers while going through the missions lol

zllehs on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    lol you guys sure? because im only pissed because im afraid of potential spoilers while going through the missions lol

Yes. Amazingly the developers did think about it before they put in missions that could be done before the end of the game.
    I am positive. They even have slight differences if you've finished the game or not (don't think overlord does though).

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I would say if Liara was an LI in ME1 for you to save LotSB until after the suicide mission. The continuity makes a bit more sense with the whole did you cheat on her/lets talk about us dialog trees.

If she wasn't an LI, rock that shit asap. Its like the best DLC any company has ever done (no sarcasm at all). Other developers should put it in a shrine and weep at its glory and try to emulate it.

Okay, I'm done now.

Elixir on

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Even Arrival, which seems very much intended to be played after you beat the main game since it functions as a narrative bridge between ME2 and ME3, avoids spoilering things by having a whole chunk of dialog and even character appearances change depending on if you've already completed the Suicide Mission or not.

But yeah, the other DLC are pretty much self-contained and don't spoil the main plot.

Edit: Honestly, this thread puts you at a much higher risk for ME2 plot spoilers (and Quarian herpes) than playing any of the ME2 DLC before finishing the main plot does.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ok no she wasnt a love interest for me
    no i didnt play ME1 i used the cerberus pack that came with the ps3 version of ME2 and chose ashley

played and beat the Shadow broker mission 2 weeks ago and just did the same last night for Over load
    and some where right in the middle of both i said to myself "WOW these are some very very deep missions in the middle of the game for stuff that seems to have nothing to do with the reapers collectors or even the prometheans"

it was then i figured out that they were both DLC lol

A huge deal was made out of Sheppard dying at the end of ME1 so when i show up at the shadow brokers place during ME2 a place that i could go to at the end of the game and Liara recognizes me it tells me that Sheppard is alive at the end of me2
    not to mention the logs of information on the rest of my crew all could be packed with potential spoilers

Ive avoided every me3 article and video possible to not spoil the end of ME2 for me and the have the game trying to do it to me itself is kinda annoying lol

zllehs on
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    no i didnt play ME1 i used the cerberus pack that came with the ps3 version of ME2 and chose ashley

played and beat the Shadow broker mission 2 weeks ago and just did the same last night for Over load
    and some where right in the middle of both i said to myself "WOW these are some very very deep missions in the middle of the game for stuff that seems to have nothing to do with the reapers collectors or even the prometheans"

A huge deal was made out of Sheppard dying at the end of ME1 so when i show up at the shadow brokers place during ME2 a place that i could go to at the end of the game and Liara recognizes me it tells me that Sheppard is alive at the end of me2
    not to mention the logs of information on the rest of my crew all could be packed with potential spoilers

Ive avoided every me3 article and video possible to not spoil the end of ME2 for me and the have the game trying to do it to me itself is kinda annoying lol

Hang on, I don't quite understand. Shepard doesn't die in ME1, he/she dies at the start of ME2 and is revived. You are Shepard: if you were dead, you couldn't visit anyone, so Liara recognising you couldn't be any spoiler at all.

Auberon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

Even Arrival, which seems very much intended to be played after you beat the main game since it functions as a narrative bridge between ME2 and ME3, avoids spoilering things by having a whole chunk of dialog and even character appearances change depending on if you've already completed the Suicide Mission or not.

But yeah, the other DLC are pretty much self-contained and don't spoil the main plot.

Edit: Honestly, this thread puts you at a much higher risk for ME2 plot spoilers (and Quarian herpes) than playing any of the ME2 DLC before finishing the main plot does.

lol yea i know stuff like "Suicide mission" is really irking me lol
    just finished collecting me crew (except for whoever is between Zaeed and Samara on the squad select page haven't found him/her yet lol) and doing their loyalty missions

Aquiring Reaper IFF is next...

should avoid this thread until i beat the game lol

zllehs on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Auberon wrote: »

Hang on, I don't quite understand. Shepard doesn't die in ME1, he/she dies at the start of ME2 and is revived. You are Shepard: if you were dead, you couldn't visit anyone, so Liara recognising you couldn't be any spoiler at all.

seriously? lol
    i thought ME2 started with my characters creation and that beginning mission/cinematic was part of the cerberus pack catching me up on the events of ME1

just more proof at how much the ps3 version sucks ass... or maybe that im an idiot...

zllehs on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    To be fair, you could do random unrelated stuff to the main quest in the first Mass Effect too.

manwiththemachinegun on