As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another turtle [chat]

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, intro's gotten to the point where I've got control

Gonna pop in here a little less

It will undoubtedly be to cry

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    I just remembered stuff about the d20 Star Wars RPG.

I don't think the Dark Side had any benefits to use.

"You killed a dude with Force Lightning! Now your Constitution dropped a point for good!"

Echo on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zampanov: The point I am trying to make is that most MMOs demand devotion at the expense of other things. It's not just a matter of providing an outlet during one's free time. They are designed so that once people have invested a certain amount of time into the game, they are put into situations where the game demands more time to get anything accomplished within the game. And so on. The more time you invest, the more time the game demands. I think newer MMOs have backed off from this somewhat and I think some rare ones have eschewed it completely (like City of Heroes, I think?, which feels much more "pick-up-and-play-whenever") but a fair lot of them require some kind of investment and that time investment just increases.

Even if you derive total fun and zero resentment from that situation, I consider that kind of a poor system - a trap - for a consumer to fall into. Why sacrifice all your leisure time on a single activity?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    It's the fifth amendment that guarantees due process right?

Fifth amendment is the one against self-incrimination.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Could be worse. The WEG RPG didn't even have Force Lightning in the core Rulebook.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    I just remembered stuff about the d20 Star Wars RPG.

I don't think the Dark Side had any benefits to use.

"You killed a dude with Force Lightning! Now your Constitution dropped a point for good!"

Saga edition was better

Greeper on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    Its Luke Skywalker and John Mcclain in the Preacher Hero Heiarchy.

Is this a buddy space cop movie waiting to happen or what.

desc on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    i feel like kind of a dick- because simba was an amazing cat, always used his litterbox, cuddled when you wanted, did his own thing when you wanted, slept with you, etc- but the main trauma of this is that it reminds me of tumbles' mortality

i have never loved a pet this much

when she passes i am going to be a fucking mess

Organichu on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Terraria is insanely addicting.

Me and my buddys world: http://www.nicklasholmgren.com/terraria_world_hb1.jpg (Huge image warning).

The elevator and the corridor that traverses 50% of the map all made today, entirely of brick.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I really liked Star Wars Saga Edition but I couldn't generate NPCs to save my fucking life

I realize the game came out between 3.5 and 4E D&D but I kind of wish the NPC stuff had taken more after 4E

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Honk wrote: »

Me and my buddys world: http://www.nicklasholmgren.com/terraria_world_hb1.jpg (Huge image warning).

The elevator and the corridor that traverses 50% of the map all made today, entirely of brick.

Jesus. I'm impressed with the horizontal tunnel. I made two straight drops to Hell in two different maps of mine, one being Large, one being Small, but still...impressive.

Drez on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Zampanov: The point I am trying to make is that most MMOs demand devotion at the expense of other things. It's not just a matter of providing an outlet during one's free time. They are designed so that once people have invested a certain amount of time into the game, they are put into situations where the game demands more time to get anything accomplished within the game. And so on. The more time you invest, the more time the game demands. I think newer MMOs have backed off from this somewhat and I think some rare ones have eschewed it completely (like City of Heroes, I think?, which feels much more "pick-up-and-play-whenever") but a fair lot of them require some kind of investment and that time investment just increases.

Even if you derive total fun and zero resentment from that situation, I consider that kind of a poor system - a trap - for a consumer to fall into. Why sacrifice all your leisure time on a single activity?

WoW has made some strides away from that model. I definitely know what you're talking about; you describe EQ perfectly. But WoW isn't quite as bad as it used to be, and it is way ahead of EQ.
    Organichu wrote: »
    i feel like kind of a dick- because simba was an amazing cat, always used his litterbox, cuddled when you wanted, did his own thing when you wanted, slept with you, etc- but the main trauma of this is that it reminds me of tumbles' mortality

i have never loved a pet this much

when she passes i am going to be a fucking mess

That doesn't make you a dick, that just means you've bonded more with Tumbles. Nothing wrong with that. I mean, my aunt is a good person and I'll be sad when she passes, but not as sad as when my mom dies. That doesn't mean I think my mom is better, she's just my mom. Tumbles is your dog.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Next time I have a goth event.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks!

The extra mining help was hella needed, still the tunnel took about 3 hours or more. Lots of lava rerouting involved, also lots of making bricks.

Honk on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Elki wrote: »
    Next time I have a goth event.

Look, in my town, owning a pair of tight leather pants is a little like having a pair of nice black slacks. You just never know when you're going to get a last-minute invitation to an event where you need them!

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Further plans are to make a tunnel in the opposite direction as well. But we'll have to gain access to the dungeon first so we don't have to deal with the insta-kill tresspassing alarm.

Also one more drop to hell at each end - from ocean level.

And I was in the process of making a water system to systematically flood hell, you can see it next to the elevator. I piped together a few basins, but we'll hook the ocean up to it as well. That may take some time!

Honk on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy shit, Dragon's Crown has the worst character designs I've seen in any game in years.

How the hell did they do from Muramasa to...this?

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Goths are the worst

I mean, they raped and pillaged the country side. That's no way for gentlemen to conduct themselves

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

wouldn't ventilation be a problem in a place like that

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Drez wrote: »

WoW has made some strides away from that model. I definitely know what you're talking about; you describe EQ perfectly. But WoW isn't quite as bad as it used to be, and it is way ahead of EQ.

I figured as much. I'm really bitter about EQ, I guess. It's hard to give any MMO a fair shake at this point.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

No dude, it's hooked up to an underground jungle. Those plants make hella air!

Honk on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The great thing is that all the planning that went into it was:

"Imps are getting annoying, wanna make a corridor instead?"

"k"

Honk on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Elendil wrote: »

Inside of a month, the surface world will be nothing but large piles of dead canaries.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The great thing is that all the planning that went into it was:

"Imps are getting annoying, wanna make a corridor instead?"

"k"

Haha, nice.

Drez on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Those imps are really annoying though. Had to run back up a lot when we made the last part of the elevator.

It's not finished, there was some hard rock down there that we couldn't mine. But we're saving up material for compatible pickaxes now.

Honk on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have Windows XP. I have WMP 11. I want to play this mp4 file. There is video but no audio. What do I need?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    hahahahahahah

amazing Game of Thrones image

(this won't spoil anything from the book, as long as you're current on the show)
    Xldqf.jpg

Organichu on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drez, I know EQ hurt you ... But you mustn't be afraid ... To love again.

desc on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What stops you from taking the ocean and flooding the entire underground cave system?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I have Windows XP. I have WMP 11. I want to play this mp4 file. There is video but no audio. What do I need?

VLC?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

VLC.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What stops you from taking the ocean and flooding the entire underground cave system?

NOTHING!

:D

Honk on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also, do note that the ocean to the left is mostly above surface level!

DOT DOT DOT

Honk on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    hahahahahahah

amazing Game of Thrones image

(this won't spoil anything from the book, as long as you're current on the show)
    Xldqf.jpg

lol

also I am reclaiming lol. David Mitchell has convinced me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_x5cfdwP98

Daxon on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Daxon wrote: »

top comment ruined it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    oh god... never can unsee

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

top comment ruined it.

No, you reading youtube comments ruined it.

Never read comments, goose.

Daxon on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    chu that made me laugh.

Also Dead Space just made me involuntarily yell "oh my god!"

I think the stomping is the best part of the game, because it allows me to react realistically and in real time. It's just like shoot shoot shoot "fuck you fuck you die die die" and then just stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp.

Then I go back and stomp em again just to make sure.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

top comment ruined it.

His features suggest he is either a beautiful flower with lots of pollen or some sort of sneaky carnivorous plant.

Gim on
This discussion has been closed.