Options

[Hesher] Armageddon Death Squad

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Morbid Angel just DESTROYED the stage @ the Sölvesborg Sweden Rock Festival, thank you fans! Here's the show setlist:

Immortal Rites
    Fall From Grace
    Rapture
    ...Pain Divine
    Maze of Torment
    Sworn to the Black
    Existo Vulgoré
    Nevermore
    Angel of Disease
    Lord of All Fevers and Plague
    Chapel of Ghouls
    Encore:
    Dawn of the Angry
    Where the Slime Live
    Bil Ur-Sag
    God of Emptiness
    World of Shit (The Promised Land)

Tav on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    autothrall wrote: »
    Holy gods. I just listened to "Sanctified With Dynamite". Fuck yes. Powerwolf, save us all!

Hahaha, hell yeah, after hearing that track I am really looking forward to the new album.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Holy shit. The new Parasytic is crazy good. Short, but good.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. THIS FUCKING LINEUP.

http://www.last.fm/festival/1823932+Rites+of+Darkness+3

Demigod
    Evoken
    Antaeus
    Behexen
    Stargazer
    Sargeist
    Urfaust
    Nunslaughter
    Root
    Mournful…
    Akitsa
    Tribulation
    Loss
    Hour of 13
    Midnight
    Zemial
    Plutocracy
    Dead Congregation
    Cianide
    Strid
    Demonical
    Mitochondrion
    Valkyrja
    Funebrarum
    Weapon
    Mortuary Drape
    Interment
    Butcher ABC
    Divine Eve
    Aldebaran

Oh, and just a pre-fest event. No biggie.

Pre-fest event:
    http://www.last.fm/event/1889912+Rites+of+Darkness+3+Pre-Fest

ONDKSAPT (SWE)
    WODENSTHRONE (UK)
    DISPIRIT (CA)
    OAK (MD)
    HELLVETRON (TX)
    STURMGEWEHR (TX)

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Holy gods. I just listened to "Sanctified With Dynamite". Fuck yes. Powerwolf, save us all!

Hahaha, hell yeah, after hearing that track I am really looking forward to the new album.

Yeah, it pretty much made my day :lol:
    Powerwolf delivers, certainly.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Regarding the new In Flames tripe, I thought that Anders was saying "The Jester Store" at first and wondered why in the fuck that was even in there.

Then everything clicked. I still turned it off.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I apologize if this has already been posted, and I realize the video has been used for other gags, but I can't get over how funny this one is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ZpJ4lvEs8&feature=player_embedded#at=66

autothrall on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, other than the Paradise Lost remark at the end that's the funniest one of those I've seen in a long, long time.

I also can't ever see one of those without thinking about how much it must bug people that actually speak German to try and watch those.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Mgcw wrote: »

Yeah, it pretty much made my day :lol:
    Powerwolf delivers, certainly.

New Powerwolf! WOOOOT!!

And what a track!! \m/ :twisted: \m/

I was really sad to discover that they are only planning to tour, like 8 cities in Europe this year, though. :x:?

On the flip side, the album is supposed to be released sometime in July!!!!! Not much longer to wait!!!
    I apologize if this has already been posted, and I realize the video has been used for other gags, but I can't get over how funny this one is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ZpJ4lvEs8&feature=player_embedded#at=66

:lol::lol:

hanskey on
  • Options
    Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seth Putnam of Anal Cunt died of a heart attack. I got to meet him 2 months ago when I saw them live. He's quite hilarious but he was definitely abusing multiple substances. Was a matter of time.

Onslaught_Fei on
    XBL: Onslaught Fei
  • Options
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love me some fantasy/concept albums. I just found 2001 - A Space Odyssey has an album

The Three Metamorphoses

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, a few of us are fans of Martriden. I made an Arthur C. Clarke meets Galactus comment when I review it. Good stuff.

autothrall on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Witchaven show last night was a billion degrees. Pretty sure I lost 10 pounds of water weight just from sweat.

Homeless on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sighjapan wrote:
    The most hilarious comment on new Morbid Angel album I've seen is that the next album will be entitled "Just Kidding".

from their twitter, heh

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Finally gave the new Vried a listen and it is fucking awesome! Slicing guitars, etc. *punching self in face for waiting to check it out* What are you guys listening to these days? Also, what other PA threads do you follow?

The last decade of Florida Death has been fairly depressing. So much reduced to so little.

So ... anyone else a scenester, before getting into metal? I, as I've mentioned, was into the punk scene for quite a while before I got into Metal.

Do people have a Top X So Far 2011 list they want to share?

Right now I'm only sure that the Best Album - 2011:
    Scepticflesh - The Great Mass or Beyond Creation - The Aura

hanskey on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wasn't a fan of Vreid at all until the new album. Which showed me how important Valfar was to what I liked about Windir. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing them with Kampfar.

Lately, been listening to the new Samael, some old Samhain, Christian Death, The Clash, Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God, Tiamat's Amanethes.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    hanskey wrote: »
    The last decade of Florida Death has been fairly depressing. So much reduced to so little.

Well, fear not, today there's an unexpected and good one. 2007 begins tomorrow, but I can't promise anything really 'good' again until I hit maybe...2010...

Definitely a bit early for a top list, and as usual I'll post mine either December 31st '11 or January 1st '12, but thus far my favorites include:

Septicflesh The Great Mass
    Virus The Agent That Shapes the Desert
    Deceased Surreal Overdose
    Negative Plane Stained Glass Revelations
    Burzum Fallen
    Sabbat Sabbatrinity
    Doomsword The Eternal Battle
    Pagan's Mind Heavenly Ecstasy
    Mitochondrion Parasignosis

Honorable mentions to: Sarke, Sonne Adam, The Crevices Below, Satan's Host and a few others. The Enslaved EP is amazing, but its only an EP.

Also, someone on M-A posted a version without the heads:

opeth.png

Might want to save it for your file folder.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Redemption At The Puritan's Hand has been the album that's gotten the most spins from me this year.

Tav on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    Redemption At The Puritan's Hand has been the album that's gotten the most spins from me this year.

Incidentally, this is my biggest disappointment so far this year. (I wasn't really expecting the new Morbid Angel to be that great.)

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Incidentally, this is my biggest disappointment so far this year. (I wasn't really expecting the new Morbid Angel to be that great.)

How did it fall short of your expectations? Too much auto-plagiarizing, or what?

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

New CTTS should be out this year. That could really swing either way really. There's a lot of anticipation for it.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

How did it fall short of your expectations? Too much auto-plagiarizing, or what?

It felt toothless and soulless, particularly compared to their previous two releases, both which I like a lot.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan of Vreid at all until the new album. Which showed me how important Valfar was to what I liked about Windir. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing them with Kampfar.

Lately, been listening to the new Samael, some old Samhain, Christian Death, The Clash, Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God, Tiamat's Amanethes.

I'm guilty of having never heard Windir, so I have no frame of reference, but V is fucking excellent!

They are touring with Kampfar? - woot! Other than Mare what are om good Kampfar albums?

Which Samhain, and Christian Death albums do you return to most?

... *chopping down quotes trees left and right*
    It felt toothless and soulless, particularly compared to their previous two releases, both which I like a lot.
    So a "their passion is gone, so mine doesn't get ignited by their music anymore" thing?

OK, this makes me dumb, but what does CTTS stand for?

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    CTtS is Circle Takes the Square.

And, I just didn't feel like there was any energy or passion in the newest Primordial. It seemed like a very by the books Primordial album. It almost seemed like another band trying to copy what made To the Nameless Dead so good.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hmmmmmm ... Just curious, because there seem to be quite a few people that really enjoy Redemption At The Puritan's Hand, but I guess you're saying it seems phoned in. Not catchy or unique or interesting enough for repeat spins, amirite?

Edit:
    CTtS is Circle Takes the Square...

Thanks, I think that's the third time in this thread that I've needed that acronym de-obfuscated. o_O

I must not be a -core scenester ... ;-)

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I'm guilty of having never heard Windir, so I have no frame of reference, but V is fucking excellent!

They are touring with Kampfar? - woot! Other than Mare what are om good Kampfar albums?

Which Samhain, and Christian Death albums do you return to most?

... *chopping down quotes trees left and right*
    So a "their passion is gone, so mine doesn't get ignited by their music anymore" thing?

OK, this makes me dumb, but what does CTTS stand for?

Honestly, I recommend everything Kampfar has done. They're one of the few bands were I haven't heard a release I didn't like. If you like the new one, just work backwards from there. You may hit a point where you don't care for it any longer. I guess, stop there? Haha.

As to the other question.
    Well, right now I've recently spun every Samhain album except Final Descent which I might get to later today. My favorite though would probably be November Coming Fire. You can start to really hear the band that Danzig would become. ...and then when John, Eerie and Chuck left become a steaming pile of mess.

This will sound cliche to anyone that knows, but for Christian Death I find myself mostly listening to Only Theatre of Pain the most. The Iron Mask is also enjoyable, as is Ashes. I will not recommend any album when the band was front by Valor. Yes, I'm one of "those people" who think the Valor stuff is awful. And it's because I actually don't like it. Not because I was into the band before Valor took over. I mean, I was 2 when Only Theatre of Pain came out.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Bolthorn!!

Well, fear not, today there's an unexpected and good one. 2007 begins tomorrow, but I can't promise anything really 'good' again until I hit maybe...2010...
    If you mean The Stench Of Redemption, then consider yourself stinky cause you just redeemed modern FDM.

The Stench Of Redemption is easily Deicide's best, and its their only release I ever had the desire to revisit.

Definitely a bit early for a top list, and as usual I'll post mine either December 31st '11 or January 1st '12, but thus far my favorites include:

Septicflesh The Great Mass
    Virus The Agent That Shapes the Desert
    Deceased Surreal Overdose
    Negative Plane Stained Glass Revelations
    Burzum Fallen
    Sabbat Sabbatrinity
    Doomsword The Eternal Battle
    Pagan's Mind Heavenly Ecstasy
    Mitochondrion Parasignosis

Honorable mentions to: Sarke, Sonne Adam, The Crevices Below, Satan's Host and a few others. The Enslaved EP is amazing, but its only an EP.
    Sad that I still haven't got several of those you call out :x, but I'm working on it.

Also, have you still not obtained The Aura, by Beyond Creation, auto? It's a glaring hole in the above list of excellence.

Beyond Creation's The Aura easily ranks as my #1 tech death album of all time, because the songwriting is actually that great!! The Aura is like a really well thought out mash-up of the best moments of Neuraxis, Obscura, and Augury, but more consistently great than any of the three individually, with better songwriting. Also, unlike a mashup it all makes sense together.

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Legion is easily Deicide's best...

I agree

:P

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Legion is easily Deicide's best...

I agree

:P
    HOW ... DARE ... ????

Fine I'm too cool for that anyway ... 8-)

Edit: Legion is easily the most influential album they ever put out, but like most metal, I'm tardy-to-the-pardy and so the "influencialness" of an album has little to no impact on how I evaluate an album. While I do enjoy Legion, it simply doesn't live up to most other people's opinions and The Stench Of Redemption just has consistently better songs for my money. Obvs YMMV.

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Stench of Redemption is damn good. I think you could probably make a case for it being their best, but I have my rose-colored nostalgia glasses on when I listen to Deicide's first two records. It always reminds me of me and my friend blasting those on road trips to go see shows.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Okay, what is going on with Nargaroth's Spectral Visions of Mental Warfare. I was not expecting this at all. I'm just over halfway through. I guess no one can pigeonhole Nargaroth anymore. I'm liking it, but it has definitely caught me off guard.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Stench of Redemption is damn good. I think you could probably make a case for it being their best, but I have my rose-colored nostalgia glasses on when I listen to Deicide's first two records. It always reminds me of me and my friend blasting those on road trips to go see shows.
    I can promise that you aren't the only sufferer of nostalgia-based love for albums (see ANUS), and I'll never hold it against you, except for the small amount of jealousy I feel knowing that you've been into metal that much longer than me.
    Okay, what is going on with Nargaroth's Spectral Visions of Mental Warfare. I was not expecting this at all. I'm just over halfway through. I guess no one can pigeonhole Nargaroth anymore. I'm liking it, but it has definitely caught me off guard.
    Haven't got it yet!! How have they changed things up?!

Edit: @GreasyKidsStuff - when you get a chance and want more deathrash that evolved out of the Symbolic sound, check out one of the best: Martyr (Can). Also, Obliveon (Can) is great deathrash too.

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I can promise that you aren't the only sufferer of nostalgia-based love for albums (see ANUS), and I'll never hold it against you, except for the small amount of jealousy i fell knowing that you've been into metal that much longer than me.
    When I get a chance to check it out ...

I wasn't in to those albums in 90 and 92 (was Legion 92? I think that's right...), so you definitely don't need to be jealous. I wouldn't have known what to do with a Deicide record in 1992. This was around 2001 or 2002, heh.

On another tangent, I was talking to a friend recently about albums we love, and I was talking about a hip-hop record that I love to pieces (Float by Aesop Rock, for what it's worth). I was talking about how I wish I could have found that record when it first came out, and pretty much right after I said it, I realize there's no way I would have liked that album if I had discovered it in 2000. Is it a common experience to realize that there are some albums that you're just not ready for for one reason or another? I remember that I didn't really "get" Peste Noire the first time I heard Ballade, which was my first PN record, but I went back to it with the right mindset and it finally clicked for me.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I can promise that you aren't the only sufferer of nostalgia-based love for albums (see ANUS), and I'll never hold it against you, except for the small amount of jealousy i fell knowing that you've been into metal that much longer than me.
    When I get a chance to check it out ...

I wasn't in to those albums in 90 and 92 (was Legion 92? I think that's right...), so you definitely don't need to be jealous. I wouldn't have known what to do with a Deicide record in 1992. This was around 2001 or 2002, heh.

On another tangent, I was talking to a friend recently about albums we love, and I was talking about a hip-hop record that I love to pieces (Float by Aesop Rock, for what it's worth). I was talking about how I wish I could have found that record when it first came out, and pretty much right after I said it, I realize there's no way I would have liked that album if I had discovered it in 2000. Is it a common experience to realize that there are some albums that you're just not ready for for one reason or another? I remember that I didn't really "get" Peste Noire the first time I heard Ballade, which was my first PN record, but I went back to it with the right mindset and it finally clicked for me.
    Ah well, I fail at assumption. Still, I agree that good memories/associations does more for many albums than the music does and that's to be expected.

On the "not ready for that album" kick - yes, it happens to me quite alot. Pretty much all of Black Metal has fit into that space up until Naxzul and Slavia changed me a few months back. It was a "come to Satan" thingy.

If I had to make a sweeping generalization I'd say it's not only common, but common in this thread, because I'd guess around 80%-99% of the kvlt find tech death so distasteful, that I think most will never check out the greatest tech death album yet produced (y'all ain't ready for The Aura :P).

Edit: OK, that response was totally an agenda to get you all to check out The Aura. In all seriousness, I can say that anytime I hear metal older than 2007, I wasn't ready to hear it before 2007.

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Okay, the new Nargaroth may have just cemented itslef as my favorite album of the year so far. Or it's at least up there. Musically, it seems all over the place, but it fits itself so well thematically. It ranges from "whoa, is this a keyboard only track? what the hell?" to "okay, this is more what I was expecting" and then in the middle of what you were expecting "wait, this is really really beautiful to listen to" and then the last track sounds a bit like a laid back Samael song with all the guitars removed. I really really dig this album.

And on LoveIsUnity's question. Yes. There are a number of albums like that for me. Especially since I went through a "if it's not Black Metal it doesn't deserve my attention" phase for about a year as a teenager.
    But even on a black metal type note; I absolutely hated Mayhem's Grand Delcaration of War when it first came out. About a year after that, when I listened to it again, I fell in love with it. I still really like that album. I really feel Alice Cooper's Dada is overlooked and didn't care for it the first time I heard it either. However, a few years ago I gave it another spin and something on it clicked with me.

Hell, there are bands I dismissed for years. The wife finally got me to admit that The Cure put out some good albums and are worth listening to. I recently rediscovered Godgory a bit. I didn't like Sigh's latest the first time I heard it, but it has since grown on me.

This goes the other way too. There are albums I liked once that upon listening to recently found out that I no longer cared for them at all.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pretty much this. ^^^

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Also, have you still not obtained The Aura, by Beyond Creation, auto? It's a glaring hole in the above list of excellence.

Beyond Creation's The Aura easily ranks as my #1 tech death album of all time, because the songwriting is actually that great!! The Aura is like a really well thought out mash-up of the best moments of Neuraxis, Obscura, and Augury, but more consistently great than any of the three individually, with better songwriting. Also, unlike a mashup it all makes sense together.

Nah, not a glaring hole for me in the slightest.

I've listened to it a few times some months back. It's not bad. I enjoyed the bass playing and some of the riffs, and how it throws together a panoply of the Canadian and tech melodic death/thrash influences (sort of like a better Arsis or Quo Vadis jamming with Augury or The Faceless), but the vocals are nothing special, a few of the chugging riffs with leads over them get a little tiring, and then of course the song structures that are cycling through riff after riff after riff after riff after riff because they can. Sometimes they'll hit a really good note sequence and then, 'puff' it vanishes. I found I was more into the long instrumental sections of songs like 'Coexistence' than most of the metal parts.

Good enough, lots of technical talent, and definitely better than the new Obscura, but ultimately flashy and forgotten six months down the road, without even a single malevolent DEATH METAL riff on the whole album. For tech death I'm more into Decrepit Birth (2nd and 3rd albums) because it feels that much more ominous, but then again the 'tech death' label sort of changes from year to year...what's complex today seems like child's play tomorrow, know what I mean?

I more enjoyed the songs from the last albums by Augury, The Faceless. Also there was that one other review Narian posted (Archspire?) I kinda dug a little more than this one. Not year's end listable for me, but maybe like an 8/10.

The wife finally got me to admit that The Cure put out some good albums and are worth listening to.

Understatement of the thread? Brilliant band with at least 10 essential albums...

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Nah, not a glaring hole for me in the slightest.

I've listened to it a few times some months back. It's not bad. I enjoyed the bass playing and some of the riffs, and how it throws together a panoply of the Canadian and tech melodic death/thrash influences (sort of like a better Arsis or Quo Vadis jamming with Augury or The Faceless), but the vocals are nothing special, a few of the chugging riffs with leads over them get a little tiring, and then of course the song structures that are cycling through riff after riff after riff after riff after riff because they can. Sometimes they'll hit a really good note sequence and then, 'puff' it vanishes. I found I was more into the long instrumental sections of songs like 'Coexistence' than most of the metal parts.

Good enough, lots of technical talent, and definitely better than the new Obscura, but ultimately flashy and forgotten six months down the road, without even a single malevolent DEATH METAL riff on the whole album. For tech death I'm more into Decrepit Birth (2nd and 3rd albums) because it feels that much more ominous, but then again the 'tech death' label sort of changes from year to year...what's complex today seems like child's play tomorrow, know what I mean?

I more enjoyed the songs from the last albums by Augury, The Faceless. Also there was that one other review Narian posted (Archspire?) I kinda dug a little more than this one. Not year's end listable for me, but maybe like an 8/10.

The wife finally got me to admit that The Cure put out some good albums and are worth listening to.

Understatement of the thread? Brilliant band with at least 10 essential albums...

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.