Options

Chicken and asparagus [chat]

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    red dead is not a perfect game. The entire middle third feels like an uncomfortable transplant from an earlier, more cartoonish era of rockstar games, and while Thom points out that it's a tribute to a certain kind of Western subgenre, I just didn't connect with any of the characters at all and thought they were really broadly drawn or even outright offensive compared to the much more interesting and intelligently-written people you encounter in the first and final thirds of the game.

LA Noire is not at all perfect either, but almost all of my complaints have to do with the metaplot and the bizarre way they unfolded it to you. The actual core of the gameplay was to me rock-solid and my opinion was borne out by the DLC cases, which are standalone, meaty, fantastic slices of gaming. I think cutting those out was a huge mistake.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    LoL is awful

and I agree jacob with jacob about red dead only because I can't remember any characters during that time period. most of the really memorable characters came before the big scenery change.

other than that though it was my favorite game ever

tyrannus on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm really enjoying LA Noire. Then again, I've only completed two cases so far, so I'm not very far in.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dunno jacob, spoilers for LA Noire I'll keep it vague but I've completed it so keep that in mind.

My problem with the game mechanics connected with the plot means a majority of your decisions don't matter at fucking all. All of homicide doesn't matter, as does arson, and in a way vice is on rails as well.

They want you to get invested in the main character and then shit all over any investment you may have had, ignoring the way the game ends it still goes dumb places. On top of that you only use certain pieces of evidence and a lot of the rest is just extra shit for points and cheevos.

And then the final act of the game goes mega retarded places.

Shooting mechanics were kind of tacked on and crappy, and the chases were also on rails as well so that it didn't really matter if you were good or not at those parts. Almost like a pattern forms from the gameplay, ulimately it doesn't matter if you actually play the game or not, because the game is moving forward.

The graphics weren't even that great since clothes and hair styles were still static sprayed on textures. In my opinion RDR beats it there and it didn't need 3 fucking discs and they didn't cut out story content to sell it back to me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like it when I make my partner drive

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cinders is still not around :x

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »

This is the only way to roll

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

:winky:

Winky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

I did that because driving in LA was about as fun as I'm sure actually driving in LA is.

Also I blame the SR3 trailer for getting to me to like a kanye song.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shit.

I think I just broke the gay rights thread by not paying better attention.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    I dunno jacob, spoilers for LA Noire I'll keep it vague but I've completed it so keep that in mind.

My problem with the game mechanics connected with the plot means a majority of your decisions don't matter at fucking all. All of homicide doesn't matter, as does arson, and in a way vice is on rails as well.

They want you to get invested in the main character and then shit all over any investment you may have had, ignoring the way the game ends it still goes dumb places. On top of that you only use certain pieces of evidence and a lot of the rest is just extra shit for points and cheevos.

Shooting mechanics were kind of tacked on and crappy, and the chases were also on rails as well so that it didn't really matter if you were good or not at those parts. Almost like a pattern forms from the gameplay, ulimately it doesn't matter if you actually play the game or not, because the game is moving forward.

The graphics weren't even that great since clothes and hair styles were still static sprayed on textures. In my opinion RDR beats it there and it didn't need 3 fucking discs and they didn't cut out story content to sell it back to me.
    the newest episode of south park reminded me of you very much so

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay I should sleep.

Good night.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I stopped watching south park when I got older than 15 Tyrannus.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

I did that because driving in LA was about as fun as I'm sure actually driving in LA is.

Also I blame the SR3 trailer for getting to me to like a kanye song.

I drove through LA in the afternoon on the day that was both the final day of E3 and the last game of the Lakers a few years ago.

It was not pleasant. I think it took me about two hours to move a mile. This was on top of the fact that the trip was from SD to SF anyway...

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    its raining out and I have no jacket.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

it started with hating Dubstep

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So are the saints row games about some kinda exaggerated supergang? That's what I was getting from the SR3 gameplay stuff at E3.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2011
    This game is a bit unfortunate to come out after LA Noire.

That was my first thought. Hopefully it's good.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    Shit.

I straight up do not understand the forums anymore.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jacob, jacob, answer my DAO question: My party members. Do I need to read up on leveling them up myself? Or do I just automate it?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zampanov wrote: »
    So are the saints row games about some kinda exaggerated supergang? That's what I was getting from the SR3 gameplay stuff at E3.

First game you're just a kind of mute gang banger working for Keith David (seriously your characters says like 3 lines the whole game).

Second game is basically your rise to power as a major player in the city, main character has a lot more voiced lines.

Because of that in the third game you basically are going to start out as a major player instead of having to work your way up to one.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

its GTA 3 with more comic violence and ridiculous story arcs in every installment.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Elki wrote: »
    Jacob, jacob, answer my DAO question: My party members. Do I need to read up on leveling them up myself? Or do I just automate it?

get a respec mod!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2011
    went to my local and watched the bruins ruin what would otherwise probably have been a perfectly lovely vancouver evening

(it was probably raining)

i'm still excited about my scooter. it was so fun to ride around on! like, i was absolutely dreading taking it back to cambridge from southie, since i meant that i had to drive through boston (which i absolutely hate, even in my car). but it turned out to be fun and just delightful!

also i like to think that i looked fly as hell on my little orange scoot in my tie and sport coat.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »

I still don't even know what dubstep is.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    went to my local and watched the bruins ruin what would otherwise probably have been a perfectly lovely vancouver evening

i'm still excited about my scooter. it was so fun to ride around on! like, i was absolutely dreading taking it back to cambridge from southie, since i meant that i had to drive through boston (which i absolutely hate, even in my car). but it turned out to be fun and just delightful!

also i like to think that i looked fly as hell on my little orange scoot in my tie and sport coat.

haha oh my goddddddd awesome

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

First game you're just a kind of mute gang banger working for Keith David (seriously your characters says like 3 lines the whole game).

Second game is basically your rise to power as a major player in the city, main character has a lot more voiced lines.

Because of that in the third game you basically are going to start out as a major player instead of having to work your way up to one.

Well I like character customization, and I like GTA style open world cities, and shooting everyone and hitting them with cars etc never ever gets old.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011

mega spoilers, obviously
    Homicide was overdone. I liked the idea but we did not need it driven into our heads 5 times, that was fucking ridiculous. If however they had taken two or three of those false cases out and replaced them with actual mysteries that you actually got to solve, I would have liked it a lot better. But that's sort of what I mean about the gameplay: homicide pissed you off because you did the clue hunting and the interrogations and none of it mattered because you got the wrong guys, which is to do with the overplot less than the gameplay.

The cases in vice didn't bother me and I guess I don't see people's problem with it. The cases are connected again (which makes sense to me, way more than having a bunch of connected murders which almost never happens outside of movies) but this time you are actually back to using your skills and nabbing the actual bad guys. The stuff about Cole and the singer totally came out of nowhere and needed to be set up way earlier (along with his family) but the gutpunch of getting kicked off the case worked for me.

Arson was frustrating to me because it was back to the forced failure but at least this time it was just the one case. I liked the switch to Kelso but they should have done that shit way sooner and seeded it throughout the game, like have a Kelso case every few levels, and then it would have been cooler when they converged. I did however really like the actual mystery part of the meta-story, with the building movie set houses to defraud the government and then tear down for the highways. The highway shit really happened and I thought that was a fantastic way of tying the game stuff into real life.

Shooting and driving were pretty much straight from GTAIV and I liked it okay there, so I guess I didn't mind. I remember you saying something about the hair textures for women and that's true, but you know, after playing this I fired up some AssBro and GTAIV and it is suddenly way harder for me to take their faces and their animation in those games seriously. They seem like kids finger painting by comparison.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    basically I'm hoping steam does another summer sale, and hopefully saints row 2 and prototype will both go on sale, because I kind of want to play them, but I don't want to spend all the money

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011

get a respec mod!

< Revolution.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2011

when you make it back up here i will let you ride it if you are nice!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

when you make it back up here i will let you ride it if you are nice!

yessssssss

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Well I like character customization, and I like GTA style open world cities, and shooting everyone and hitting them with cars etc never ever gets old.

Saints row also has some beautiful car explosions. It was honestly one of the reasons I played the series, blowing shit up was hilarious.

And unlike the GTA games Volition has figured out a good shooting system for a third person world.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    Shit.

You weren't the only one who ignored jake

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited June 2011

It's orange?!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'm presuming it's some form of dumb music that dumb kids on dumb drugs listen to, and that it probably sounds like robots fucking.

By now, someone will have linked a Youtube video that proves me right.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    wub wub wub

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

I'm presuming it's some form of dumb music that dumb kids on dumb drugs listen to, and that it probably sounds like robots fucking.

By now, someone will have linked a Youtube video that proves me right.

:lol::lol::lol:

:^: Apothe0sis likes this.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

DON'T auto level, whatever you do!

For the warriors, just pump their STR and DEX and give them maybe 30 total willpower (here's the deal: constitution gives hitpoints, which sounds good for a warrior, but not very many hitpoints, while every point of dex makes you harder to hit in the first place. Alaistair with 45 strength and 45 dex is basically a god.)

The mages, just magic and a bit of willpower erryday.

Rogues do dex and cunning. Be sure and make sure Leilana takes the lockpicking ability at every opportunity. Also her archery tree doesn't work the way it should, so level her up in 2-weapons instead.

Here's how all the NPCs break down in terms of what they do best:
    Alastair - sword and shield and all the best heaviest armor.
    Sten - second-best heaviest armor and the best two-handed swords you can find
    Ogren - third-best heaviest armor and the best two-handed axes you can find
    Dog - build him like a warrior; he can tank pretty well.
    Wynne - spec out her healing and her special unique tree that lets her resurrect dudes
    Morrigan - shapeshifter is bullshit, move her into something else like blood mage asap
    Leilana - archery is borked, give her two weapons and all the stuff associated with stabbing
    Zevran - ditto
    Shale - you can actually build Shale however you want; all its trees are useful.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Saints row also has some beautiful car explosions. It was honestly one of the reasons I played the series, blowing shit up was hilarious.

And unlike the GTA games Volition has figured out a good shooting system for a third person world.

eh, I liked GTA4 shooting just fine, but I won't cry if saints makes it better

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
This discussion has been closed.