Options

Regular Ordinary Swedish [Chat] Time

• Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Super 8 was p good and stuff

Don't got into the Super 8 thread. Because apparently it was a terrible derivative movie.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Hey Thanatos, so I played my first game of Exodus

Summary: I really, really dislike the Crossroads and trauma mechanics

Cylon fleet, allies, and the new loyalty types are great

but Crossroads/trauma can die in a fire
    Sometimes, you can just get royally fucked by Crossroads, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. And that's very frustrating.

However, it is a great mechanic to discourage people from wanting to be in the brig or sick bay. Which is one of the problems with the base game: there's no real penalty to being in the brig, and an advantageous one to being in sick bay if you're a cylon. It also means that sending people to sick bay is a much bigger deal.

So, I like it, but I can totally see why people would have problems with it.

My problem is more at the whole meta thing associated with the Crossroads

You are directly saying to someone, "okay, you didn't play the game good enough, get out, we're going to finish without you"

At the final, most climactic moment of the game, you're forcefully ejecting someone and telling them that they lost, and that just doesn't sit right with me.

I was boxed in that phase, incidentally, so that may have coloured my experience, but it still feels like a really nasty thing to happen to someone who has just gotten unlucky, or ganged up upon, in the last few moments of the game.

Yeah, it sucks if you get boxed, don't get me wrong.

But if no one has enough tokens during that phase, then no one gets boxed. I would say that this has happened about 50-60% of the times I've played it, and I've played it probably a dozen times.

We played one game where a person got executed immediately before the crossroads phase, drew a new character with three new trauma tokens which were all bad, and got boxed with no opportunity to change that. The game isn't a nice game; it's not supposed to be a "nice" game. It's mean, it's cutthroat, and you feel somewhat personally invested in it, so losing there really sucks. But if there weren't any stakes, it wouldn't be any fun. And the Crossroads thing does a great job of discouraging "let's just let him ride out a few turns in the brig to build up some cards."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Also, [chat], I hooked up (but didn't have sex) with someone I probably shouldn't have last night. I've felt guilty about it all day. She only just turned 20, and I think that she has a big crush on me, but the feeling is no way mutual. I was just cracked out and she's really hot.

Whoops.
    Done that.

Whooops. :(

Oh well, we're only human and all that jazz.

Stop being so hot next time.

impossible

That I feel as bad as I do? Yeah, you're probably right. It was kinda awesome
    :whistle::whistle::!!:;-)<3<3:evil::):shock::whistle::whistle:

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

on a scale of 1 to star trek, how much lens flare was there

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What's up with the dearth of stickies? Will finally pull out the kleenex?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thor and X-Men First Class were both better than I feared. Not quite Iron Man/Spiderman 1-2/The Dark Knight good, but pretty good.

Green Lantern on the other hand...

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sweet! I might be getting this synth

roland_jx8p.gif

for $100 when usually they should go for $400-600. It has broken keys, which are actually really easy to fix, but most people assume that means their synth is "broken." I don't feel bad, because she got it for free and she's not a musician.

The only thing that sucks is I'll need to get a hardware editor for it, which is going to cost more than the synth itself!

Jesus fuck man I am ogling that. I'm no musician, but god damn do I love ogling the gear.

Oh! Think I remembered. Podly, have you ever messed with DJing at all, either actually at a club/party/etc. or just blending stuff together for fun in the privacy of your own home?

yalborap on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    It was El Jeffe from what I heard.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I think Jeffe had a bit of a spring clean yesterday.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lady Eri wrote: »

Don't got into the Super 8 thread. Because apparently it was a terrible derivative movie.

I call those "references" or even "homages" and I like them!!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I really need to get Exodus at some point. We haven't played BSG in a couple months and it gnaws at me. Gnaws!

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »

I think Jeffe had a bit of a spring clean yesterday.
    He forgot to get rid of that anime one though.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

roland_jx8p.gif

for $100 when usually they should go for $400-600. It has broken keys, which are actually really easy to fix, but most people assume that means their synth is "broken." I don't feel bad, because she got it for free and she's not a musician.

The only thing that sucks is I'll need to get a hardware editor for it, which is going to cost more than the synth itself!

Jesus fuck man I am ogling that. I'm no musician, but god damn do I love ogling the gear.

Oh! Think I remembered. Podly, have you ever messed with DJing at all, either actually at a club/party/etc. or just blending stuff together for fun in the privacy of your own home?

Yes. I've been paid to DJ. Por Qua.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »

I dunno, but I can tell you there was too much

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Turkson wrote: »
    Thor and X-Men First Class were both better than I feared. Not quite Iron Man/Spiderman 1-2/The Dark Knight good, but pretty good.

I enjoyed the shit out of X-Men: First Class.

I thought Thor was boring as shit.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

But if no one has enough tokens during that phase, then no one gets boxed. I would say that this has happened about 50-60% of the times I've played it, and I've played it probably a dozen times.

We played one game where a person got executed immediately before the crossroads phase, drew a new character with three new trauma tokens which were all bad, and got boxed with no opportunity to change that.

It also comes down to experience with the module, something that I found quite annoying. The other people in the game were saying, "well, now you know from experience what to do next time to avoid boxing", and I'm like, "what, avoid being a cylon and therefore everyone's trauma target? Get really lucky with my trauma draws?"

The biggest lesson I've learned is that, unless you know what you're doing in Exodus, you are probably going to be boxed, and that isn't a great way to introduce someone to the game.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also, [chat], I hooked up (but didn't have sex) with someone I probably shouldn't have last night. I've felt guilty about it all day. She only just turned 20, and I think that she has a big crush on me, but the feeling is no way mutual. I was just cracked out and she's really hot.

Whoops.
    Done that.

Whooops. :(

Oh well, we're only human and all that jazz.

Stop being so hot next time.

impossible

That I feel as bad as I do? Yeah, you're probably right. It was kinda awesome
    :whistle::whistle::!!:;-)<3<3:evil::):shock::whistle::whistle:

gon get it honey

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

'star trek'

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    God bless that man

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    guys

From Dust

whassadeal

sell me on it go

MikeMan on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I really need to get Exodus at some point. We haven't played BSG in a couple months and it gnaws at me. Gnaws!

If you're interested, jacob, we'll be playing Exodus over VASSAL next week

It isn't the same as real life, but it was pretty fun from my perspective (aside from the boxing)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So narked about this stupid open day today. I understand that they're good for potential students and stuff (though I never went to any open days), but it's just fucking irritating that because I would be in a little late today there is no chance I will get parked if I try.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    gon get it honey

this sentence terrifies me and I don't know why!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL6y1eN9qB8&feature=feedlik

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    yessssss

so funky

So It Goes on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011

'star trek'

star trek had it just right

simon: I have never used vassal. is there a thread for this?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    lens flare in star trek was like bad cross examination

ask one question too many and undo all the work you just did

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    god Tsonga played fucking sexy today

too bad this means the finals will be a snoozefest of nadal taking it in 4 sets

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

The BSG discussion thread in CF has all our planning and pictures of our recent game

But if you want to be stepped through it, I'll be online for the next while and can tell you what to download and how to set it up

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Thor was more boring but at least it was consistent.

I enjoyed X-Men: First Class but there were parts of it that hurts your brain if you take the time to think about how stupid it was.

• Options
    edited June 2011

We played one game where a person got executed immediately before the crossroads phase, drew a new character with three new trauma tokens which were all bad, and got boxed with no opportunity to change that.

It also comes down to experience with the module, something that I found quite annoying. The other people in the game were saying, "well, now you know from experience what to do next time to avoid boxing", and I'm like, "what, avoid being a cylon and therefore everyone's trauma target? Get really lucky with my trauma draws?"

The biggest lesson I've learned is that, unless you know what you're doing in Exodus, you are probably going to be boxed, and that isn't a great way to introduce someone to the game.
    There are only a couple of cards that let you add trauma tokens in that phase, and one of them involves the person adding the tokens taking a bunch of tokens. So, it's a high-risk strategy.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

roland_jx8p.gif

Yes. I've been paid to DJ. Por Qua.

First, lemme say that's pretty damn cool.

Second, let's say I wanted to very lightly dip my toe into the concept. Nothing outside my room as is, just tinkering with mixing songs and possibly some of what the internet tells me is called controllerism. Let's also say that I have a teeny tiny itsy bitsy budget. Do you have any recommendations for uber-beginner hardware/software to mess with? (I currently have access to an iMac, a crappy Windows netbook, an iPad(with Camera Connection Kit for hooking up USB stuff), and a very basic MIDI keyboard(A Korg Nanokey2, since I found several reviews that were quite satisfied with it))

Sorry for badgering you with questions so often, by the way.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Star Trek was a good movie

but Abrams must have bought his lens flare effects in bulk at costco

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Nadal is so hot in all white

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It needed a lot less Hal being self-doubting. Hal isn't my favorite of the main Lanterns, but the one thing you could always say about him is that he didn't doubt himself. He went and did things and damn the consequences. I mean sure it meant that when his best friend said "No, I'm pretty cool with being dead, leave me be." he ignored it. Because he was Hal Fucking Jordan.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    star trek was like bad cross examination

ask one question too many and undo all the work you just did

So Kirk metaphorically asked if we'd stopped beating our wife yet?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

'star trek'

star trek had it just right

it somehow made sense to me in star trek where as super 8 it was distracting

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

The gf turned to me and asked, "Is that the same girl from Wolverine? The one who can turn into diamonds? How is she like a late 20s/early 30s sex kitten here, and she was a teenage girl in the other one?"

My biggest Thor complaint:
    is how quickly he turned from spoiled stuck up royal snob asshat into sensitve, caring, empathis hero.

They also could have examined Loki and his motivations a little more.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Nadal is so hot in all white
    yeah that's pretty much true

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Have

youstoppedbeat

ing

your
    wife

yet

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    mmm, reheated mexican time

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.