As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIMBO: If you don't buy this on Steam, I will feed you to the spider

1121314151618»

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I have no idea what that is and now am concerened about viewing this thread at work.

Did you think it was a vagina?

If that looks like the vaginas you're used to seeing, you might live in a town too close to the nuclear power plant.

Or on another world.

I actually thought it was the OPPOSITE of a vagina. Horribly, horribly mutilated or something. Ive spent a good 25+ years avoiding those pictures on the internet of crazy piercings and whatnot, and I thought somehow you may have finally tricked me - in a limbo thread of all places!

But now I see it's a spider.

A cool spider.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait ... so that's not a picture of a vagina?

... oh, oh God ...

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When was the last time any of you people have actually seen a vagina

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This thread has become my own personal Limbo

Ganluan on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They should photoshop white shades on the Limbo Spider.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This thread just took a turn for the awesome.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man I like the factory areas

My favorite part of this game so far
    You get one of those head-worm things and continue to this grassy area, where you see what I presume is your sister kneeling on the ground, but you hit the light and have no choice but to turn around and head away from her. Once you get rid of the worm, you rush back to find... she's gone, and more deathtraps and creepy areas are in her place.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just finished the game. Wonderful.

Ending spoilers
    I thought for a minute there that the "ending" of the game was going to be the boy waking up in the exact same place as he did in the beginning and being forced to continue to solve the same puzzles and endure the same dangers forever, which is part of what I thought explained his resurrection every time he died. Hence, Limbo. It was a little anticlimactic having him run up to the girl who looked a little startled, but I noticed she didn't have the same glow in her eyes that the boy does. Dead, perhaps?

Totally worth the $15, in my opinion. I'm going to play through it again after some of the puzzle solutions get fuzzy.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

Ending spoilers
    I thought for a minute there that the "ending" of the game was going to be the boy waking up in the exact same place as he did in the beginning and being forced to continue to solve the same puzzles and endure the same dangers forever, which is part of what I thought explained his resurrection every time he died. Hence, Limbo. It was a little anticlimactic having him run up to the girl who looked a little startled, but I noticed she didn't have the same glow in her eyes that the boy does. Dead, perhaps?

Totally worth the $15, in my opinion. I'm going to play through it again after some of the puzzle solutions get fuzzy.
    they're both dead

you can see flies buzzing over their bodies in the title screen now

Rust on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Very interesting

Although it's weird to me that
    the girl is always surrounded by light

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rust wrote: »

Ending spoilers

they're both dead

you can see flies buzzing over their bodies in the title screen now

Huh. Gonna have to go look for that now.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This thread just took a turn for the awesome.

Don't make me bring up those Camel Spiders again.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You mean the vagi...oh, right. Spider.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If it was not skin colored, it would help.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Camel-toe spider? :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Opinion on story spoilers:
    This entire game is about DEATH, and more specifically, YOUR DEATH. You can't finish this game the first time through without dying. It's impossible. But it's a gradual evolution of death.

In the beginning it's a forest with dangerous things in it. The biggest enemies are bear traps, a spider, and other children who don't like you. All of these things are strange, but you're not confused as to WHY they are trying to kill you. The spider is hungry, the children don't like outsiders and have had to fend for themselves for a long-ass time. The bear traps were either set by trappers catching things or the children themselves. On some level, you get it, it was all meant to kill, but not you in particular. Yet you still have to get past them all. A world filled with life and death.

After getting past that you get to the middle of the game with all of the rooftops and incidental stuff, like short-circuiting electric signs and giant cogs and buzz saws. These things aren't here to kill anybody, they just happen to be what you have to get past while, at the same time, being deadly. The world itself is getting more treacherous, but still not aimed at you. A world with no life, but still full of death.

And then you come to the end of the game in the giant loud factory setting. Out of no-where, laser-tripped machine guns appear to tear you a new one, along with meticulously placed gravity traps designed make you stumble to your death over time while still letting you make progress. WHAT. THE. FUCK? Now the entire world has a single goal, YOUR DEATH. The very environment was made to kill you, it even messes with the forces of nature and physics to do so. It's only at the very end does our miserable little protagonist come to that realization that he is, indeed, dead. A dead world trying to make you dead.

Of course we all knew this. The game is called LIMBO for a reason. A place for the dead that is neither heaven nor hell. It's obviously not heaven for enough reasons, but nor is it hell because you still have hope that his sister is still there for him, at the end of this dream/nightmare. For whatever reason, he can't let go and this world was made for him, we know this because he is the only one with eyes to see the world, everything else is just a prop. It's a limbo in that he can't stop doing the same things over and over again, seemingly for eternity; e.g., dying again and again as he bashes his head against an apparently insurmountable obstacle, one that can only be overcome usually through a very specific, un-obvious technique. A technique that was not working only because you were 1 degree or 1 millimeter or 1 millisecond off. A truly maddening place. That is, until he breaks out of limbo, literally. Out of there, he finds the last good thing in his life, his sister, as he finally approaches something akin to heaven.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. :P

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heres a challege. Make a new username on your xbox. start a new limbo game so that the game is played for the first time ever (no flies on corpses)...then beat the game without dying once. and see what happens.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finally picked up this game last night, pretty awesome!

It's such a chill, ambient, scary (at times) game

Hawk on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    This entire game is about DEATH, and more specifically, YOUR DEATH. You can't finish this game the first time through without dying. It's impossible. But it's a gradual evolution of death.

In the beginning it's a forest with dangerous things in it. The biggest enemies are bear traps, a spider, and other children who don't like you. All of these things are strange, but you're not confused as to WHY they are trying to kill you. The spider is hungry, the children don't like outsiders and have had to fend for themselves for a long-ass time. The bear traps were either set by trappers catching things or the children themselves. On some level, you get it, it was all meant to kill, but not you in particular. Yet you still have to get past them all. A world filled with life and death.

After getting past that you get to the middle of the game with all of the rooftops and incidental stuff, like short-circuiting electric signs and giant cogs and buzz saws. These things aren't here to kill anybody, they just happen to be what you have to get past while, at the same time, being deadly. The world itself is getting more treacherous, but still not aimed at you. A world with no life, but still full of death.

And then you come to the end of the game in the giant loud factory setting. Out of no-where, laser-tripped machine guns appear to tear you a new one, along with meticulously placed gravity traps designed make you stumble to your death over time while still letting you make progress. WHAT. THE. FUCK? Now the entire world has a single goal, YOUR DEATH. The very environment was made to kill you, it even messes with the forces of nature and physics to do so. It's only at the very end does our miserable little protagonist come to that realization that he is, indeed, dead. A dead world trying to make you dead.

Of course we all knew this. The game is called LIMBO for a reason. A place for the dead that is neither heaven nor hell. It's obviously not heaven for enough reasons, but nor is it hell because you still have hope that his sister is still there for him, at the end of this dream/nightmare. For whatever reason, he can't let go and this world was made for him, we know this because he is the only one with eyes to see the world, everything else is just a prop. It's a limbo in that he can't stop doing the same things over and over again, seemingly for eternity; e.g., dying again and again as he bashes his head against an apparently insurmountable obstacle, one that can only be overcome usually through a very specific, un-obvious technique. A technique that was not working only because you were 1 degree or 1 millimeter or 1 millisecond off. A truly maddening place. That is, until he breaks out of limbo, literally. Out of there, he finds the last good thing in his life, his sister, as he finally approaches something akin to heaven.

Very nice. I hadn't thought entirely about what the ending meant, so that cleared some things up.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just beat the game, loved it, although I was kinda hoping for a bit of a longer experience for that price tag

random observation, and probably discussed to death (endgame spoiler)
    the last scene before the credits where you meet your sister is the same one as the menu background, but there are two rotten piles of bones where the characters were standing, and everything around you seemed to have decayed over the years.

but my favorite moment was when you first encountered the girl - the music and visual style just came together perfectly

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is it okay if I resurrect this thread instead of creating a new one?

The game just came out today on PSN. I'm thinking of buying it. Worth $12? (PS Plus price - normally $15.)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Overall I'd say yes.

Be aware that it's a pretty short game (3 hours, if that iirc), but incredibly atmospheric and engaging.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think its fine to resurrect it.

As for the price, its tough. I personally really enjoyed it when I got it and thought it was worth it, but it is fairly short for a $15 (or even $12) game. It kind of depends on how much you value the artistic style when thinking of buying a game.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Hmm, I see. Thanks!

• Options
    I spent $15 on this when it came out and never felt like I wasted that money. I beat the game in 4 or 5 hours (I was really exploring everything and solving all the puzzles on my own), so I feel like 1/4 of a full retail game is fine. I mean, multiply that shit out: $15 x (4) = 4 hrs x (4). The price is reasonable, but that's just my opinion. I didn't play a single game with more atmosphere back in 2010.

Others will say differently, so YMMV.

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Oh my goodness it's coming to Steam next month.

finally

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    the new level on the ps3 verison is real neat. also, hard.

also fuck the No Point In Dying trophy.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote:
    also fuck the No Point In Dying trophy.
    Welcome to the club, finally. :P

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    PS3 version has a new level? Any word on the PC version having it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    according to google it will be in the pc version too

• Options
    I spent the last four hours or so beating LIMBO.

Great game. Great atmosphere. I have to be honest, half the time I was wondering "I wonder if this could have been made in Little Big Planet?" - minus the atmosphere, of course.

I will never even bother trying to do No Point In Dying. I reject achievements like that, for games like this. Because they are terrible.

The last one I tried to do was SURVIVOR (Finish the game without dying in survival mode) for the Xbox Live Arcade remake of Prince of Persia. I got very, very close but never managed it and I swore off "don't ever die" achievements for platformers forever.

• Options
    All it takes is one (or, in Limbo's case, 4 or 5, I can't recall) mistake(s).

• Options
    Subtly_in_your_MindSubtly_in_your_Mind Registered User regular
    Just finished playing this game on my PS3. Obviously I've become a huge fan of it.

I know a lot of people talk about this game representing death, but I have an entirely different theory.
    This game is about loosing one's innocence for the pursuit of someone you love. The narrative is about how much the boy is willing to go through and "give up" to find his sister.

I think, for whatever unexplained reason, the boy was never supposed to be in any contact with the girl. The world surrounding the boy is essentially the manifestation of authority telling him "Don't do this. Don't approach her". The part with the spider represent the initial fear of trying, and the part with the boys represents a more authoritive role of saying no.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but the part with the Hotel really sticks out to me. I think the Hotel was where the boy attempted to make love to the girl, and the shift in the dynamics of the world repents the result of what happened. This is where the world become a manifestation of adult hood. People can no longer tell the boy what he can and can't do, but his conscience, and perhaps the emotions of the girl herself are manipulating the world.

It all comes to an end when you see the Hotel sign again. Dismembered, and gravity completely ignoring the laws of physics. The relationship between the boy and girl has becoming so unstable that reality itself is falling apart, and it's at this point that the boy either must set things right, or die at his failure.

Maybe I've thought this up because the overall game reminded me greatly of my current relationship with my girlfriend. It's been rewarding, but the overall path to get there has been nothing short of turbulent and at worst pretty insane. Anyways, that's my two cense.

Where's the new level for the PS3 version of the game? I have no idea where it is or how to access it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Where's the new level for the PS3 version of the game? I have no idea where it is or how to access it.
    you have to collect all the hidden egg things before you can access it. once you have collected them all go back to the underground cave where you got the Alone In The Dark egg (underneath where the mosquito is) and continue to the right of the room with the candles in it. then prepare to die a bunch of times.

• Options
    green-eyesgreen-eyes Registered User regular
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »

Very nice. I hadn't thought entirely about what the ending meant, so that cleared some things up.

Yeah, some really good observations. I also like that
    the environments are inherently places that children are told NOT to go. Parents tell children they aren't allowed in the dark forest, or to climb on rooftops, or go near electrical equipment, and especially not to play with daddy's tools (the factory/industrial setting). It's a game that is all about atmosphere and the feeling that, as a child, you're not supposed to be in this threatening environment.

I've also heard some theories that the boy and his sister die in a car accident because of the hazardously shifting gravity and the final moment when you crash through the glass

car.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My turn on the analysis wheel!
    Since the designers have stated that there wasn't one single clear story in mind, no specific explanation for what's going on, but rather a desire to evoke feelings and atmosphere, I like to just take the view that, well, everyone's got it right. It's a game that can be interpreted a whole variety of ways, but above everything, I personally get such a unique set of feelings from it. It's a game that stays with me long after I play it (or watch someone play it), not because I'm trying to assign absolute definitions to what is going on, but because the atmosphere affects me. The stark visuals, the music, and the small fragments of possible story they convey all just hang around in my head afterwards. There's a real haunting, delicate beauty, which is something I don't find in many games. That's why I love it.
    Personally, in terms of looking for a possible definition, I agree with green-eyes above me about 'places you shouldn't go', or childhood fears. As an arachnophobe, I can appreciate the spider being a huge, terrifying thing. You can read it as symbolism, or you can see it as a representation of a more literal fear of spiders, which can follow through into the great many other hostilities throughout the game, like the gang of boys that pursue you like bullies, or (as mentioned) the deadly tools/sawblades.

edit: okay so that's not really analysis so much as it is pretentious guff.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    green-eyesgreen-eyes Registered User regular
    No no, I think that's good. What I like about something with no definite meaning is that everyone's personal interpretation of the meaning actually is that meaning for them. It means something completely different to me, than to someone else, but that doesn't mean either one of us are wrong because I think it's a game that's supposed to provoke discussion...

And there doesn't need to be specifics. Like you say, it's the atmosphere that sticks with you rather than specific events (though some specific events might).

car.jpg
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    So this is out on Steam now and I wanted to bump the thread because of that. I'm only 1/3rd of the way through so I've avoided reading the thread so far, but the OP should probably be changed.

I'm sure I'll be the first to say that FUCKING SPIDER FUCK

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    Finally on PC. Finally.
    What a beautiful, beautiful game.

• Options
    Squidget0 wrote:
    So this is out on Steam now and I wanted to bump the thread because of that. I'm only 1/3rd of the way through so I've avoided reading the thread so far, but the OP should probably be changed.

Done.