As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Analog Random Number Generators (Tabletop Thread)

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Geo wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't see the connection between anime and the Tau? I think Tau look more like they're out of an old sci-fi show (yeah, I know the setting is already sci-fi) or battletech. Why are the Tau considered the weeaboo army?

I do not know.

But some weeaboos play them.

It's gay.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i once joined this legend of the five rings campaign with some dudes i met through the local gaming store.

rokugan, the setting L5R, is like this pastiche of fuedal east asian cultures, mostly japan but with having strong chinese elements and stuff.

it's a fantastic setting with years of material for it

i saw a dude get bounced from the second game session because the GM got so sick of listening to his weeaboo faggotry bitching about every historically inaccurate point of the setting or characters or whatever in a game that's a frickin' fantasy setting

and anytime people talk about adding Cathay or Nippon as armies to Warhammer Fantasy, that kind of garbage is the first shit that I think of.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Am I the only one who doesn't see the connection between anime and the Tau? I think Tau look more like they're out of an old sci-fi show (yeah, I know the setting is already sci-fi) or battletech. Why are the Tau considered the weeaboo army?

because they have mecha, and their mecha and tech are intentionally designed to actually have an appearance evocative of anime and manga. Jes Goodwin, the guy who sculpted the original Tau units and was heavily involved in their art design, has said openly that this was intentional.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Pony wrote: »

because they have mecha, and their mecha and tech are intentionally designed to actually have an appearance evocative of anime and manga. Jes Goodwin, the guy who sculpted the original Tau units and was heavily involved in their art design, has said openly that this was intentional.

Oh man really.

That sucks clearly that means they should get rid of the tau we can't go putting anime in with our Gothic sci-fi even if it kinda fits nicely in it's little niche.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    tau are actually a decent army, i like their visual design and concept and how they play

i was actually going to make a tau army before i decided to go necrons

they are appealing

the only problem is they also kind of appeal to people who are

shall we call them

faggots.

that's not a valid reason to dislike them, but hey, ask why people consider them the weeaboo army, that's why

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I am considering between Tau and Imperial Guard.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Uriel wrote: »
    I am considering between Tau and Imperial Guard.

they're both "shooty" armies

imperial guard are a lot, lot more complex to paint.

you can get pretty lazy with Tau.

Pony on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, do you want to kill 'nids or be eaten alive by them? Because that is the major difference I have observed.

I hate Tau so much. Not as bad as Necrons or Eldar though. Those two just fucking perforate me. At least I rip through two squads of fire warriors with a single 'stealer.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a Tau army and with Pony's various rants it's why it stays in the box.

Brainleech on
  • Options
    GeoGeo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Even if the guy says it was his intention, I still don't see it. If all it takes is mecha for a race to be labelled weaboo, then atleast half of WH40k is. Orks have Killa Kans, Imperial Guard has Sentinels, Eldar have the War Walker (which looks like Zentradi from Macross), and to a much lesser extent the Space Marines have Dreadnoughts. I'm not trying to start anything on how unaccurately Warhammer is to Mecha anime, but I just don't see why Tau are the weeaboo army for having mecha.

Geo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Even if the guy says it was his intention, I still don't see it. If all it takes is mecha for a race to be labelled weaboo, then atleast half of WH40k is. Orks have Killa Kans, Imperial Guard has Sentinels, Eldar have the War Walker (which looks like Zentradi from Macross), and to a much lesser extent the Space Marines have Dreadnoughts. I'm not trying to start anything on how unaccurately Warhammer is to Mecha anime, but I just don't see why Tau are the weeaboo army for having mecha.

uh

he intentionally modelled their mecha and body armor off anime he watched and stuff

the army as a whole was given a visual design aesthetic specifically engineered to appeal to anime fans and stuff because anime is getting pretty big

just because you don't see it personally doesn't mean it's not there and other people see it.

Pony on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

The Tau was originally designed by Games Workshop to have a streamlined design to draw Asian markets in. It kind of failed, and Space Marines are by far the most popular army to that market.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    165116253_9257797ecf.jpg

tau_fire_warrior1.jpg

Tau_XV8_Battlesuits.gif

that is what i have always thought of

whenever i caught that gundam cartoon with them things in the first picture, and then i saw tau years later, it was like, hey, they look alike

in conclusion you're a faggot geo

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My faggotry aside, I think there's probably a better mecha to compare Tau to than the zaku. Aside from the mono-eye and how the infantry has armor over it's shoulder, they look nothing alike.

Geo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    geo you're kind of missing the point, duder.

the tau were intentionally designed to appeal to the asian market and to anime fans, and were given a visual design specifically intended to invoke mecha anime (and, to an extent, chinese foot soldiers for Tau Infantry)

regardless of whatever you think on the subject, that's the fact of it.

that's why people regard them as a weeaboo army, because they were designed to appeal to asians (which they generally don't, anyway) and weeaboos, who actually do play them. I have seen weeaboo fags who play Tau at the local store who got into 40k specifically because of the Tau.

There are old 40k grognards who also don't like Tau because the Tau are bright, futuristic, and have a generally positive, if not somewhat passively sinister, outlook. They aren't in decay, they are on the rise, which puts them in very sharp contrast with basically the entire 40k universe. Which, again, is an intended design thing, but not one that some of the old hardcore 40k fans like. They like the darkness and the decay, and the shiny "Greater Good" types cock that all up.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Alright, that makes sense. It's just that whenever Tau are brought up, people seem to go "it has mecha omg weeaboo" and it didn't make too much sense. I've never really played WH and thus never had to deal with people who got into it because of Tau, but I can imagine what they'd be like if they chose Tau based on what you're saying.

Geo on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I hear you Pony. I think the Tau are a cool contrast to every other army in the 40k universe.

and my god in heaven do I hate people pointing out real world inconsistencies in a fake world.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    my brother likes the Tau, believe it or not, because they remind him of the Covenant from Halo

they are actually quite similar.

Pony on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i don't mind the tau

they are pretty neat

but i can look at them, think of any generic jap shit and say "yep, that's them alright"

and the pictures look pretty similar to me whooooops

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    my brother likes the Tau, believe it or not, because they remind him of the Covenant from Halo

they are actually quite similar.

oh yeah, I could see that.

Yeah my buddy is thinking about getting into 40k with the tau. Seems pretty cool. Shouldn't be too tough to paint either, by the looks of them.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    geo you're kind of missing the point, duder.

the tau were intentionally designed to appeal to the asian market and to anime fans, and were given a visual design specifically intended to invoke mecha anime (and, to an extent, chinese foot soldiers for Tau Infantry)

regardless of whatever you think on the subject, that's the fact of it.

that's why people regard them as a weeaboo army, because they were designed to appeal to asians (which they generally don't, anyway) and weeaboos, who actually do play them. I have seen weeaboo fags who play Tau at the local store who got into 40k specifically because of the Tau.

There are old 40k grognards who also don't like Tau because the Tau are bright, futuristic, and have a generally positive, if not somewhat passively sinister, outlook. They aren't in decay, they are on the rise, which puts them in very sharp contrast with basically the entire 40k universe. Which, again, is an intended design thing, but not one that some of the old hardcore 40k fans like. They like the darkness and the decay, and the shiny "Greater Good" types cock that all up.

Like two pages later you're still going.
    Reel it in there fella.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i don't like the way the tau play at all

you've got an army with high mobility, high strength-weapons, and enormous range, and all anyone does is turtle in the deployment zone and pick things off with their 72' inch range S10 Broadsides

real fun to play against

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like someone got their ass kicked.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I have a pretty even win-loss ratio against Tau, IG and Khorne/Nurgle armies at the only ones I have difficulty with. But every game plays the exact same way. Lord Teleports into their deployment zone with a block of Warriors, Monolith Ports in, and the rest of the army drags it's ass over the board. Usually that block that ports in is enough once they get into close combat. The thing that really bugs me is that 50% of Tau players refuse to play any kind of mission, since that might mean moving.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The day I start making sweeping generalizations about the players of other races, is the day I give up tabletop entirely.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i don't think I did that

did I do that?

I just said I don't like the way Tau plays

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ehh.. Tau did an odd thing where they sorta co-opted some of the main traits found in other armies and doing them so much better. Being the IG's tendency to be the long-range gunline army which eschews close combat, and the Eldar's ridiculous mobility with their firepower.

not that I'm complaining, because I've taken quite the liking to them since the new codex came out.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i don't think I did that

did I do that?

Saying that a certain race is only played in one manner is a sweeping generalization

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i don't think I did that

did I do that?

Saying that a certain race is only played in one manner is a sweeping generalization

yeah, but not about the players

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey guys, portable 40K coming to the PSP and DS!

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/19-06-2007-5753.html

Hope you like marines, because it looks like loyalist vs traitor legions. 9.9

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Moving with the Tau isn't that hard.

When I played 40K, my strategy was all about moving pathfinders around in the transport tank and meltabombing/smart missile-ing the crap out of stuff while my Kroots keep CC troops tied up and the firewarriors pick them off.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i don't think I did that

did I do that?

yeah, but not about the players
    The thing that really bugs me is that 50% of Tau players refuse to play any kind of mission, since that might mean moving.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    umm, shame i don't have either of those hand helds...but that sounds yummy.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Nice. Though I wish the NGage 40k game got ported over.

Also, I like the Tau, they're like a shiny beacon of optimism in a universe of bad shit going down all the time, you just know it's going to end badly for them.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BigDes wrote: »

Also, I like the Tau, they're like a shiny beacon of optimism in a universe of bad shit going down all the time, you just know it's going to end badly for them.

by shining ray of hope, you actually mean iron-fisted space communists?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

And it will be glorious.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »

by shining ray of hope, you actually mean iron-fisted space communists?
    Yeah, but they smile when they're doing it. Of all the races they seem to treat their own the best.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    and on a side note, i dig the look of the tau. and when i got a chance to play with them i liked to move around.
    i also use a unit of kroot with krootox. get behind a nice wood feature and shoot to your hearts desire..sure they may not hit much but 12 shots + krootox shots..some shits gonna die and if you need to assault roll it.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tau players who sit in the deployment zone and pew pew things are just asking to be assualted with turbo boosting scarabs/jetpacks/jetbikes/e.t.c. All the best tau aryms ive seen use the whole hypermoblie thing with lots of kroot and battlesuits running circles aorund people.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I may eventually get into 40K, and have been considering the Tau.

On the other hand, Orks. <3

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
This discussion has been closed.