As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Johnny Depp, not satisfied with ruining my childhood, attacks the source

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    It is true that while Wilder's willy wonka was fantastic, it wasn't really true to the source material at all, Pip's got a good point.

I loved Willy Wonka. Both of them!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    wait why are you blaming johnny depp for any of those shit movies
    blame tim burton

This is what I said earlier in the thread

I truthfully don't think Depp has ever made a bad film where he and his acting has been the problem

For example, Secret Window.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    RubberAC wrote:
    It is true that while Wilder's willy wonka was fantastic, it wasn't really true to the source material at all, Pip's got a good point.

at the same time?

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    blame tim burton

People didn't like Depp's performance?

but burton directed him into those performances

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    don't get me wrong though, I friggin adore wilder

• Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    RubberAC wrote:

at the same time?

only in my wildest fantasies

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    he wouldnt have done those performances if tim burton didnt make those movies

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp don't really deserve comparison given that they play two wildly different roles.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    blame tim burton

People didn't like Depp's performance?

but burton directed him into those performances

We can certainly place blame, a lot of it, towards the director but an actor can't use that completely as an excuse.

Even George Lucas got good performances out of Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid.

I mean we have seen Depp perform well in other Burton films, so what happened? Did Burton's directing get significantly worse or did Depp get significantly lazier when working with a director who'd let me slack off?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I honestly also blame Tim Burton for the more awful installments of Depp's career, I've mostly liked what he's been in otherwise.

I stayed away from Alice In Wonderland for as long as I could until I watched it on netflix earlier this year and I just really didn't see the appeal in it at all. Everything about it was just off in the entirely wrong way and I think that's more Burton's fault that Depp's.

Okami on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Campion wrote:
    Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp don't really deserve comparison given that they play two wildly different roles.
    They played the same character though

so comparison is completely deserved

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I just want you all to consider that Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson was next in line to potentially play Willy Wonka.

Just imagine.

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    this news made me irked
    but later i smirked
    for geek's post is great
    this rhyme is a bit late

uh I think you mean that the news irked you

"irk" is a transitive verb

you diss my dog you fluff my hog

WHAT?! What did you just say to me?

• Options
    Did nobody else find tweedle dee and tweedle dum in the new alice absolutely hilarious and adorable
    because oh my gosh

• Options
    Zonugal wrote:
    I just want you all to consider that Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson was next in line to potentially play Willy Wonka.

Just imagine.

See!

No matter how bad something appears, it can always, always be worse.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote:

Just imagine.
    i would have watched this

• Options
    Uh

The Rock is awesome

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Zonugal wrote:

Just imagine.

See!

Get the fuck outta here

You are a monster

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote:

Just imagine.

See!

If by worse you mean better than yeah!

At least The Rock would have possibly gone another way as opposed to the stupid, pseudo-child rapist performance of Depp.

• Options
    I'm not saying I wouldn't have watched it.

I'm saying that at least then, you would have known it would have been terrible from the start, expected a B-movie of epic proportions, not been disappointed, and would have loved it, but known it shouldn't have been compared to the original in any way.

• Options
    Man depp's wonka wasn't a child rapist he was a man-child
    he is so far from raping children
    hes basically asexual and socially broken because he was a crazy weirdo who lived in a chocolate factory by himself

• Options
    Sweeney that makes no sense at all

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think I'm starting to understand this Sweeny feller

• Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote:
    Can we all agree that the opinion would be higher of both Alice in Wonderland and Depp's Hatter if not for the dancing scene?

That was the best part of the entire movie

TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Sweeney that makes no sense at all

I'm saying that The Rock as Willy Wonka would automatically make Willy Wonka a B-movie which people would maybe love.

There's no way Rock could play Wonka and people would compare it to Wilder's Wonka.

• Options
    If you went into Willy Wonka expecting it to be an amazing movie that blows Wilder out of the water and is considered A calibre then you probably went into it wrong

Now, if Dwayne Johnson had been there, ok, yeah, cinematic masterpiece. Alas...

• Options
    You show me one single less than awesome The Rock performance and I will eat a hat

• Options
    RubberAC wrote:
    If you went into Willy Wonka expecting it to be an amazing movie that blows Wilder out of the water and is considered A calibre then you probably went into it wrong

This is what I said about Depp

Of course Depp isn't better than Wilder. Of course the movie wasn't gonna be better than the original.

If you expected anything close to that, you were gonna be disappointed as hell.

I didn't, and I still found some good things out of the new one, critics be damned.

• Options
    Hobnail wrote:
    You show me one single less than awesome The Rock performance and I will eat a hat

The Scorpion King sucked.

Other than that, I agree with you.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I thought it sucked too until I got drunk with a bunch of my friends and watched it.

• Options
    Oh sweeney
    how can you say something i agree with then be so horribly, horribly wrong immediately afterward

• Options
    I actually expected Scorpion King to be kinda good.

Then I was watching it in theaters opening weekend, and half an hour in had my face in my palm thinking to myself "Jesus Christ, why did I think this would be a good idea"

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    RubberAC wrote:
    Man depp's wonka wasn't a child rapist he was a man-child
    he is so far from raping children
    hes basically asexual and socially broken because he was a crazy weirdo who lived in a chocolate factory by himself

Burton's Charlie And The Chocolate Factory was actually a thinly-veiled speculative biography of Michael Jackson

mkc.png
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote:

I absolutely love the Rock but he is not without his flaws.

toothfairydwaynejohnson_42244.jpg

• Options
    Also, I loved the Scorpion King.

• Options
    Flaws: Being too fantastic

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The Scorpion King was good in a generic Conan-esque adventure way, but otherwise, twas eh. But yah, The Rock's got fucking stage presence.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Listen, he's been in some tremendous turds, and I've watched them

But he is always awesome. He is a glowing beacon of goodness no matter how deeply mired in poodoo

Edit: And the Scorpion King is intensely funny if you know that at the end of everything, the dude just ends up as a mindlessly evil CG scorptaur

Hobnail on
  • Options
    RubberAC wrote:
    Flaws: Being too fantastic

Damn right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwReSCGL3ss&feature=related

• Options
    An-D wrote:
    Just saw the Tooth Fairy...mostly as a joke, and it was awful and cheesy for a bit but went down a pretty dark path.
    Like, the movie starts like in the trailers. He's an old bad-ass (but washed up) hockey player and he gets sent to fairy training school or whatever, but around midway through, it goes down a really dark alley.

He gets fairy-summoned from a big game to get a tooth from a little girl. He is fucking pissed (end of his career basically), and gets the tooth all annoyed and shit. Than he sees the little girl and this massive bruise on her face, and you get the idea that she had been hit. The girl wakes up, and is kind of startled but he hushes and asks what happened to her face (says that 'I'm the Tooth Fairy' line from the trailer). Then from downstairs (off-screen) you hear a man and a woman arguing really loudly and than you hear the man beating the shit out of her. The girl starts to quietly cry.

The Rock gets pissed and is about to go down to save the day, but he gets fairy-magic-summoned back to Fairyland and is pretty much told that he can't interfere in the lives of humans, or there would be consequences. He doesn't take that, and there is a pseudo fight/escape from fairyland and he gets back to Earth. He's kind of on the run now, and can't use his powers or they'll be able to find him.

He goes back to the little girl's house, and the dad (fucking big guy) is drunk and about to head up to the girl's room to do something (beat her?). Rock appears, and they fight. Its like something out of the Rundown....but with fairy powers. Shit is being broken, and the Rock is flying around dodging being. The bad dad pulls a gun, and shit kind of gets real. The Rock is able to use flying and a combination of fairy magic to deflect/dodge bullets.

Julie Andrews' character (like...queen of the tooth fairies?) gets a lock on the Rock's magic signal and pulls the plug on his magic.

The Rock drops to the ground, stands back up and is immediately shot. He goes down, doesn't get back up.

All the commotion and gunshots had gotten the police's attention and they storm the place and take down the bad dad. The mom is crying, and the daughter comes down and sees the dead Rock (who she knew was the Tooth Fairy) and just starts sobbing. Like...The Rock had made her believe in something amazing and magical when her life was nothing but shit and then (indirectly, I guess) gotten her horrible father taken out of the picture, so she could be happy. And as cliche and corny as it may sound, he also allowed her to be free to be a child and believe in fantasy even though her reality had been so bitter and awful.

It was insanely heartbreaking. I was crying. I did not expect the movie to turn down that path.

It ain't gonna win any awards, but its pretty intense.