As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony's Silly Struggles

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No, it’s clear that Sonys feels have been hurt about being beat by Nintendo time and time again.

Man what? Sony dominated the market for two entire generations, and we're not far enough into this one to decide any sort of winner. The only time Nintendo has beaten Sony is in handhelds.
    ...and, so far, in the current home generation.

That said, based on Neva's previous posts, I'm guessing this is a very poor attempt at sarcasm.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No, it’s clear that Sonys feels have been hurt about being beat by Nintendo time and time again.

Man what? Sony dominated the market for two entire generations, and we're not far enough into this one to decide any sort of winner. The only time Nintendo has beaten Sony is in handhelds.

That said, based on Neva's previous posts, I'm guessing this is a very poor attempt at sarcasm.

Like I said before, it's really too early to say who's going to win this generation. I don't see it being Sony either, but Nintendo isn't ruling over everyone. The 360 is doing pretty well, and you never know, maybe the PS3 will pull ahead. But to say that Sony has lost to Nintendo many times is ridiculous, because if anything Nintendo has lost to Sony.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Like I said before, it's really too early to say who's going to win this generation. I don't see it being Sony either, but Nintendo isn't ruling over everyone. The 360 is doing pretty well, and you never know, maybe the PS3 will pull ahead. But to say that Sony has lost to Nintendo many times is ridiculous, because if anything Nintendo has lost to Sony.

I'm going to echo Zombiemambo's opinion here. It is way to early to declare a winner. Even if we could, who the hell cares? Nintendo will make their money no matter what happens, and gamers will have great games to play on all three systems no matter who "wins the console war".

Lach on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well regardless if you can't determine a winner, you can clearly tell who's going to be breezing by in the next year or so.

Sony's rocky start will haunt them this entire generation. I blame that completely on Blu-Ray, but whatever.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lach wrote: »

I'm going to echo Zombiemambo's opinion here. It is way to early to declare a winner. Even if we could, who the hell cares? Nintendo will make their money no matter what happens, and gamers will have great games to play on all three systems no matter who "wins the console war".

But we like to repeat the same tired, negative opinions over and over so we'll just go ahead and ignore your optimisms.

:P

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Firstly sorry for going slightly off topic. But I can't make a new thread and I want to talk about Tycho's post about threespeech. Anyone fancy making a thread? I'm sorry to hijack, but I feel I've made a big discovery about how they censor the comments. I'll spoiler it so it doers less damage to propoer thread.
    Thanks to the wonder of Unix I currently have two browsers open. One running on my laptop at home. And one running on my work PC with the window piped through SSH to my laptop. This means they have different IP addresses and cookies and so on.

I wrote this post first:
    I’ve just listened to the whole podcast.

The Internet has one commodity. Trust.

The viewers have to believe the creaters. And with this sites ambiguity thats impossible. How about a detailed explanation of the site. Answer these questions:

* Are you being paid by Sony, it’s marketing department, or by others on behalf of Sony to make this site? It seems the answer is yes.

* Are you given free reign to voice your true opinions? It seems the answer is no.

* What are Sony’s aims with this site?

I am ashamed. This site, and the podcast is so “on-topic” that it beggers belief. It’s like a concerted effort to “push” “hard-core” opinion on the Sony Brand products.

At no point did I see a genuine criticism of any of the platforms. And minor criticism was quickly distorted back into something positive.

Sony wins no fans by trying to insidiously promote itself in this way. To try and have it’s cake and eat it.

And I pity those involved. Because it’s clear you have asperations in the games media field and you’ve damaged your CV beyond repair with job.

I want Sony to do well with the PS3. The ability to install Linux (and thus Myth TV etc) will mean I’m far more likely to buy one over the 360. But this kind of marketing is truly offensive.

Comment by Lave — June 28, 2007 @ 4:51 pm
    It comes in at number 79. Here - can you see it? I wrote it with my laptop.

I later logged into uni (to get NASA ADS journal access) and so was effectively using my PC there. I happened to revisit the thread, and noticed they deleted my comment. So I returned to my faster local browers and made another comment.

(this was it:
    Hi Ben.

I see that your a student. But it’s also clear that this isn’t an independent podcast. A honest explanation of all of your relationships with Sony would be appreciated. No one can listen that podcast and come away with the idea it was an independent producton. It came across more like an advert. As I said on my comment that was deleted Trust is the only commodity on the internet.

Your comments were justified and informed. But *you* van’t say them when you seem so much worse!

If you want a job in this field after uni - then I think this blog may damage your chances unless you explain what this blog actually is.

And people should shut up about your accents. I think there wonderful. And much clearer than mine, It seems americans can only understand the posh fake English accent.

Good luck!
    But then I realised that on my Laptop I can still see both comment.

Therefore ThreeSpeech are deleting "negative" comments - but pretending to the commenter that they are still there!

Is this common?

Lave II on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    Firstly sorry for going slightly off topic. But I can't make a new thread and I want to talk about Tycho's post about threespeech. Anyone fancy making a thread? I'm sorry to hijack, but I feel I've made a big discovery about how they censor the comments. I'll spoiler it so it doers less damage to propoer thread.
    Thanks to the wonder of Unix I currently have two browsers open. One running on my laptop at home. And one running on my work PC with the window piped through SSH to my laptop. This means they have different IP addresses and cookies and so on.

I wrote this post first:

The viewers have to believe the creaters. And with this sites ambiguity thats impossible. How about a detailed explanation of the site. Answer these questions:

* Are you being paid by Sony, it’s marketing department, or by others on behalf of Sony to make this site? It seems the answer is yes.

* Are you given free reign to voice your true opinions? It seems the answer is no.

I am ashamed. This site, and the podcast is so “on-topic” that it beggers belief. It’s like a concerted effort to “push” “hard-core” opinion on the Sony Brand products.

At no point did I see a genuine criticism of any of the platforms. And minor criticism was quickly distorted back into something positive.

Sony wins no fans by trying to insidiously promote itself in this way. To try and have it’s cake and eat it.

And I pity those involved. Because it’s clear you have asperations in the games media field and you’ve damaged your CV beyond repair with job.

I want Sony to do well with the PS3. The ability to install Linux (and thus Myth TV etc) will mean I’m far more likely to buy one over the 360. But this kind of marketing is truly offensive.

I later logged into uni (to get NASA ADS journal access) and so was effectively using my PC there. I happened to revisit the thread, and noticed they deleted my comment. So I returned to my faster local browers and made another comment.

(this was it:
    Hi Ben.

I see that your a student. But it’s also clear that this isn’t an independent podcast. A honest explanation of all of your relationships with Sony would be appreciated. No one can listen that podcast and come away with the idea it was an independent producton. It came across more like an advert. As I said on my comment that was deleted Trust is the only commodity on the internet.

Your comments were justified and informed. But *you* van’t say them when you seem so much worse!

If you want a job in this field after uni - then I think this blog may damage your chances unless you explain what this blog actually is.

And people should shut up about your accents. I think there wonderful. And much clearer than mine, It seems americans can only understand the posh fake English accent.

Good luck!

Therefore ThreeSpeech are deleting "negative" comments - but pretending to the commenter that they are still there!

Is this common?

Lave I only see your comments at 81 and 82. The first one is not there. Did you refresh the browser on your laptop? Perhaps its only displaying a cached version.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i love my ds and psp equally, but the whole phone thing is just ridiculous.

especially seeing how the iPhone is already doing it.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    yes. I've refreshed. And it was hours ago anyhow.

Here's a screen shot of both browsers side by side.
    picture2nz9.th.png

Lave II on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The OP apparently didn't do any research on the DS or PSP before posting.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

I wrote this post first:

(this was it:
    Hi Ben.

Good luck!

Is this common?

Lave I only see your comments at 81 and 82. The first one is not there. Did you refresh the browser on your laptop? Perhaps its only displaying a cached version.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2996/picture2nz9.png

Damn, that didn't work. I'll try again.

Lave II on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's called digital convergence and it sucks.

You see, companies like Microsoft, Apple, Sony etc. All have this idea of "lets put it all into a single device" mp3 player, phone, camera etc. Now, as an idea it sounds good doesn't it?

I mean, who wants to carry about a load of gadgets when you can simply carry one?

But, what all these companies don't realise is that in practicality as an actual product they suck.

For example, I have a k750i (Sony Ericsson) phone, it has an mp3 player, camera etc. Both the mp3 player and camera are awful, truly. When I want to take photos I either use my 400D or my old powershot and frankly I've got my ipod for music.

By becoming the jack of all trades these devices become the master of none.

This is why i'm still not totally bought on the iphone, sure it looks pretty etc. But when i'm listening to my music do I really want it to be interrupted by a phone call (or if it can be disabled whilst listening to music, what if I forget to disable it), then there is the camera again which is crap. It goes on and on.

I think this is why in general dedicated devices still sell so well, for gaming the DS, for photography any consumer level camera, for music the ipod and so forth.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I wrote this post first:

(this was it:
    Hi Ben.

Good luck!

Is this common?

Solved! And repeatable too.

If you have comments that have been deleted, and you post again with the same name, email address and website. Your deleted then it reinserts your deleted comments.

Bizzare.

Lave II on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Isn't this months-old non-news?

Didn't a SONY guy go beyond 'no comment' to basically say 'oh hell no, and if we were working on it I'd know'.

edit: ok not MONTHS old, more like weeks old, and, um,
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/27479/Reeves-No-PSP-phone-coming

Mashalot on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mashalot wrote: »
    Isn't this months-old non-news?

Didn't a SONY guy go beyond 'no comment' to basically say 'oh hell no, and if we were working on it I'd know'.

edit: ok not MONTHS old, more like weeks old, and, um,
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/27479/Reeves-No-PSP-phone-coming

Two old rumors posted in one day. Nice. :D

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It would've been a very silly thing to pull off. Interesting concept, in a quirky 'haha' kind of way. But if they (or apparently since they have) decide to not follow through on it, I doubt anyone would be disappointed or feel as if they're missing out on anything.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »

You see, companies like Microsoft, Apple, Sony etc. All have this idea of "lets put it all into a single device" mp3 player, phone, camera etc. Now, as an idea it sounds good doesn't it?

I mean, who wants to carry about a load of gadgets when you can simply carry one?

But, what all these companies don't realise is that in practicality as an actual product they suck.

For example, I have a k750i (Sony Ericsson) phone, it has an mp3 player, camera etc. Both the mp3 player and camera are awful, truly. When I want to take photos I either use my 400D or my old powershot and frankly I've got my ipod for music.

I think you're missing the point. Your beef is not with the idea of digital convergence, but with the actual products that come out of it. Yes, right now many digital convergence products suck, because they're hard to do. There's only so much time that can be spent on each specific feature, on testing, yadda yadda.

Eventually, though, someone will get it right, and it has the potential to be huge. I'm not saying the iPhone will be that device (I highly doubt it actually), but something will eventually get there. If you think there's something flawed about the actual idea of digital convergence, though, then that would be something different (and I'd love to hear people's take on that).

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I wrote this post first:

(this was it:
    Hi Ben.

Good luck!

Is this common?

If you have comments that have been deleted, and you post again with the same name, email address and website. Your deleted then it reinserts your deleted comments.

Bizzare.

You mean just to make you think that your comments are still there, right?

'cause I don't see your first comment.

I don't know if it's intentional or not but it certainly comes off as sleazy.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't believe the lies that sony PR tells you. This PSP phone is being developed, and is actually quite far in the making. My brothers girlfriends fathers cousin works for sony, and he gave me the inside scoop on it.

Its not only a PSP and a phone, its also... a hat.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Don't believe the lies that sony PR tells you. This PSP phone is being developed, and is actually quite far in the making. My brothers girlfriends fathers cousin works for sony, and he gave me the inside scoop on it.

Its not only a PSP and a phone, its also... a hat.

That seals the deal.

Djiem on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Raslin wrote: »

Its not only a PSP and a phone, its also... a pooper scooper.

Fixed for my sophomoric humor.

Play games, talk on the phone, and walk your dog! All with one device!

DesertBox on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    (Start Here)

This all looks well and good, but the question now becomes "what the hell is Sony going to do with it?" Obviously it’s not to try and out sell the N-gage, that would just be silly. That’s like getting excited about beating a retarded six year old at chess. No, it’s clear that Sonys feels have been hurt about being beat by Nintendo time and time again.

By all rights the PSP should be the dominating hand held system on the market today, but the DS has far surpassed the PSP in popularity simply because Nintendo knows what the point of a hand held system is. Contrary to Sony's beliefs, a portable gaming system isn't meant for some one to "get their game on", it's to pass time while you’re waiting in line, sitting at a red light, or listening to some very uninteresting person talk about them selves. Instead of creating their own versions of great pass time games like Tetris and Pokeman (pretty much the only kinds of game people play on their DS), Sony spent time developing games like GTA: Liberty City Stories, Mettle of Honor, and RRIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE RACER! Is it a surprise to any one but Sony that the movies are the best selling item for the PSP.

So like I said, it's going to be interesting to see if Sony can get its head out of its ass to develop an actually useful hand held gaming system. Though I fear that will be a wait for a long train commin’.

I have to say though; my experiences with Sony-Ericsson phones have be fantastic. So even if it’s not a great portable system, it’ll still be a great phone that just so happens to have a crappy game on it.

Just because the PSP can handle more intensive games doesn't mean that it should have beened the DS. The DS has some areas where it is arguably superior (interface, media format, portability of software, and more) and the PSP has some design flaws as well (analog nub, etc.)

On top of this, Sony spread themselves thin on the PSP. They didn't develope it as a gaming platform, but rather, as a multimedia platform. Yes, it included gming, but they were going after Apple just as much as they were going after Nintendo, and because, in part, of a lack of single direction, they failed in both.

A PSPhone would be just another attempt to take on both Nintendo and Apple at once, and I don't see it succeding either. Companies tend to take on the iPod line by trying to make a comparable product, but this doesn't work because the iPod line doesn't sell on it's feature, but rather, on it's brand name. The products tend to use inferior technology, and then emphasize form over function. If some one REALLY wanted to take on the iPod, they'd need to realease the "next generation" of PMP devices themselves, rather than waiting until Apple does it, and then following.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote: »

I think you're missing the point. Your beef is not with the idea of digital convergence, but with the actual products that come out of it. Yes, right now many digital convergence products suck, because they're hard to do. There's only so much time that can be spent on each specific feature, on testing, yadda yadda.

Eventually, though, someone will get it right, and it has the potential to be huge. I'm not saying the iPhone will be that device (I highly doubt it actually), but something will eventually get there. If you think there's something flawed about the actual idea of digital convergence, though, then that would be something different (and I'd love to hear people's take on that).

Here's the thing:

I upgrade my phone every year or two, but I keep music players until they break.

The issue inherent with digital convergence is that the markets for different devices don't all function the same. There are different elasticities, different levels of durability of goods, different prefferences, etc. How many people do you know who have gotten rid of their cameras just because they have on in their phone?

There will always be some consumers who go for digital convergence, but overall markets are diverse enough, that when you try to develope on device that will find the equilibrium in every market at once, it is nigh on impossible.

And not impossible like "it'll take forever to do it", impossible like "it is something that honestly just doesn't work"

Evander on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    (Start Here)

This all looks well and good, but the question now becomes "what the hell is Sony going to do with it?" Obviously it’s not to try and out sell the N-gage, that would just be silly. That’s like getting excited about beating a retarded six year old at chess. No, it’s clear that Sonys feels have been hurt about being beat by Nintendo time and time again.

By all rights the PSP should be the dominating hand held system on the market today, but the DS has far surpassed the PSP in popularity simply because Nintendo knows what the point of a hand held system is. Contrary to Sony's beliefs, a portable gaming system isn't meant for some one to "get their game on", it's to pass time while you’re waiting in line, sitting at a red light, or listening to some very uninteresting person talk about them selves. Instead of creating their own versions of great pass time games like Tetris and Pokeman (pretty much the only kinds of game people play on their DS), Sony spent time developing games like GTA: Liberty City Stories, Mettle of Honor, and RRIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE RACER! Is it a surprise to any one but Sony that the movies are the best selling item for the PSP.

So like I said, it's going to be interesting to see if Sony can get its head out of its ass to develop an actually useful hand held gaming system. Though I fear that will be a wait for a long train commin’.

I have to say though; my experiences with Sony-Ericsson phones have be fantastic. So even if it’s not a great portable system, it’ll still be a great phone that just so happens to have a crappy game on it.

Just because the PSP can handle more intensive games doesn't mean that it should have beened the DS. The DS has some areas where it is arguably superior (interface, media format, portability of software, and more) and the PSP has some design flaws as well (analog nub, etc.)

On top of this, Sony spread themselves thin on the PSP. They didn't develope it as a gaming platform, but rather, as a multimedia platform. Yes, it included gming, but they were going after Apple just as much as they were going after Nintendo, and because, in part, of a lack of single direction, they failed in both.

A PSPhone would be just another attempt to take on both Nintendo and Apple at once, and I don't see it succeding either. Companies tend to take on the iPod line by trying to make a comparable product, but this doesn't work because the iPod line doesn't sell on it's feature, but rather, on it's brand name. The products tend to use inferior technology, and then emphasize form over function. If some one REALLY wanted to take on the iPod, they'd need to realease the "next generation" of PMP devices themselves, rather than waiting until Apple does it, and then following.

Heh, the point I was trying to make before I got lost on the tangent of possible PSP improvements was the fact that on paper, and according to industry expectations, the PSP was supposed to drop the FOE BOMB on the DS, much like the PS3 was to have on the 360 and Wii. Two of the same aspects that hampered the PSP (brice and media) are two of the issues that are hurting the struggling PS3.

PSPhone could happen, but I doubt it would be very successful. The PSP with some slight improvements could put up a hell of a fight against the video ipod though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm just gonna reiterate what people have said; no one's buying the PSP as is, why would they by the PSP NGage equivalent? They won't.

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    (Start Here)

Heh, the point I was trying to make before I got lost on the tangent of possible PSP improvements was the fact that on paper, and according to industry expectations, the PSP was supposed to drop the FOE BOMB on the DS, much like the PS3 was to have on the 360 and Wii. Two of the same aspects that hampered the PSP (brice and media) are two of the issues that are hurting the struggling PS3.

PSPhone could happen, but I doubt it would be very successful. The PSP with some slight improvements could put up a hell of a fight against the video ipod though.

I don't remember seeing those papers, and industry expectations were all over the place.

It was agreed that the PSP had the POSSIBILITY of winning, which is a lot in and of itself, considering Nintendo's hold on the market, but I don't think it was EVER a foregone conclusion.

Especially once the price was announced.

And honestly, The only reason anyone ever expected the PS3 to take off is brand recognition. It just isn't differentiated from the 360 enough, and the Wii isn't really a direct comparison, you have to look more at demand for different aspects, and consumer substitution preference trends.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

I wrote this post first:

(this was it:
    Hi Ben.

Good luck!

Is this common?

Bizzare.

You mean just to make you think that your comments are still there, right?

'cause I don't see your first comment.

I don't know if it's intentional or not but it certainly comes off as sleazy.

Try it for yourself.

Type a post from me:

Name: Lave
    email: skeptoboturigeller@yahoo.co.uk (take out the lying fraud - Mr U Geller)
    web page: http://skeptobot.blogspot.com

And watch all my sensored posts reappear eg check comment number 79 before and after.

It's clearly to make you think they are more open to criticism than they really are. And that there leaving your posts up.

(Oh and don't make me out to be a dick)

Lave II on
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'd rather have a fake PSP board to hide the fact I'm reading a book ;)

Djiem on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What, only white hands?

Sony doesn't care about black people!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, this is silly but at least it's no decapitated goat. You can't really "lol Sony!" at this one.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would rather just read the Divine Comedy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    Well, this is silly but at least it's no decapitated goat. You can't really "lol Sony!" at this one.

I considered it.

Djiem on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »
    Hey look I already have a phone. Isn't that something.

But do you have a cellphone that is also a video game system, mp3 player, video player, and meat tenderizer?

I THOUGHT NOT

But does it clean floors AND is a dessert topping?

It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping.

august on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    I would rather just read the Divine Comedy.

I would much rather listen to it instead.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I leave for 2 weeks and come back to this? Does the idiot that wrote the OP have any idea what he's talking about? Sony developed GTA and Ridge Racer?! Are you fucking kidding me?!

The reality of the situation is that the PSP and DS are aimed at different markets. The DS's market just so happens to be MUCH bigger than the PSP's one. However that doesn't mean the PSP is doing poorly, it's doing remarkably better than the GC or Xbox ever dreamed of.

SoonerMan: If no-one's buying the PSP then how is it outselling the PS2 and 360? Magic?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I leave for 2 weeks and come back to this? Does the idiot that wrote the OP have any idea what he's talking about? Sony developed GTA and Ridge Racer?! Are you fucking kidding me?!

The reality of the situation is that the PSP and DS are aimed at different markets. The DS's market just so happens to be MUCH bigger than the PSP's one. However that doesn't mean the PSP is doing poorly, it's doing remarkably better than the GC or Xbox ever dreamed of.

SoonerMan: If no-one's buying the PSP then how is it outselling the PS2 and 360? Magic?

wizard did it.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Eerie. I had just wondered where you had wondered off too, brave defender of all things Sony.

PSP and DS are aimed at the exact same market. DS happens to hit its targets more often. The PSP is a real valiant effort though, and a revision of its hardware could really spark its sales, as the games are more or less there. Could use a slight improvement on the number of online titles though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Eerie. I had just wondered where you had wondered off too, brave defender of all things Sony.

PSP and DS are aimed at the exact same market. DS happens to hit its targets more often. The PSP is a real valiant effort though, and a revision of its hardware could really spark its sales, as the games are more or less there. Could use a slight improvement on the number of online titles though.

... :| Whatever. I own a GBA, DS and GC as well as a PS2 and PSP. ZOMG defender of all things Sony, m i rite? The only reason I don't defend Nintendo is because Nintendo rarely do anything and when something does happen that some people see as "bad" then there's already a massive amount of people around here that'll counter the arguments (and a lot of them aren't fanboys).

Anyway onto the point, while the PSP and DS are both aimed at the hardcore market, they are NOT aimed at the same mainstream audience. The PSP is aimed at the same audience that bought the PS1 and PS2, while the DS is expanding out to younger and older audiences.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Although I think this is a great topic, I was sorely disappointed by the amount of stupid in the OP. Although I agree that Sony is silly, I have no idea how you arrived at that conclusion, given that your logic is... well... not. Unless, of course, you read it somewhere and then blathered it out again.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly