Options

Should games feature characters that are bisexual/homosexual?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My ethnocentrism forces me to use the term "world" as a synonym for "The United States"

Happens.

But anyways, as Yar sort of suggested.. even if they just used a percentage thing where 2% or whatever of characters are gay or bi to reflect the population, at least it would be closer to reality and fairness.

It also needs to not be used as a -gag- every single time.

Most games that DO have homosexuality have it like Shadow Hearts or FF7: Butt rape jokes.

That really, really doesn't help.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Glossing over the pages here, so sorry if this has been hit already, but the focus here seems to be on homosexual males. As far as the game industry goes, obviously lesbian pairings are FAR more acceptable for the 20+ male crowd, but only as eye-candy. Whereas homosexual males get the buttsecks jokes and the effeminate branding, lesbians are just as stereotyped when a publisher wants to really push out the T&A. I believe Fear Effect utilized such a thing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm sure some of you know that I have some very strong opinions on this issue, but I'll try and keep it short.

Basically I would like to see more non-straight characters period. I've met plently of unabashed flamers who scared me with how stereotypical they were, and I've met gay men who you simply would not have ever known unless they told you or started talking about thier boyfriend. My only problem with portrayal is when I feel the company didn't even try, when it's making fun of the gay character. Games like oblivion or various other RPGs based on immersion really annoy me though when they leave out gay characters entirely. Would you find it immersive to walk into a world where all characters were androgynous and nobody was in any way related to or having a romance with another character?

There are alot of games where characters could be any sexuality and it would not change it all. Counterstrike, Ghost Recon, Puzzle Quest, and many others, but there are plenty of others that have a strong foundation in writing, Tron 2.0, Half-Life 2, Silent-Hill, even Resident Evil. There is no reason for it to effect gameplay, but that doesn't mean that in the entirety of writing and characters introduced there isn't room for characters that are of different sexuality than the assumed straight.
    Now games like Halo are something of a mixed bag, the in-game story is enough to keep you going but doesn't really have tons of side plots. However the extended Halo universe with the cannon books have a fairly extensive story with plenty of room for gay characters that could easily be given a small reference in the games.
    Not all games even need LGBT characters, just as you aren't guaranteed to see gay people everyday if you don't have gay friends, but at the moment we have a conspicuos lack of them, not an overabundance.

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Could I make a point that there's a severe difference between notions of equality in real life and notions of equality in any sort of artistic work, including computer games? When you make characters a particular way away from the "normal" then you're not just trying to accurately reflect reality you're actually changing the mood of the narrative or the environment in a very specific way.

The one you can easily do these days is gender equality, because it tends to be easy - you just say "in this world, the genders are equal". A good example of this would be Battlestar Galactica - you never question it, it never comes up.

But suppose now we make a character gay. The thing about being gay is that it never actually enters the social attention largely unless it's situation specific. And it has an occurrence rate in the populace low enough that it will stand out, unless you want to do some crazy thing like make EVERY character in your narrative/environment bisexual (in which case nothing will stand out).

It's also problematic if they become main characters, because then you tend to get interpreted the wrong way - it's hard to write "and the mayor of this village is a gay man" without ending up conveying some unusual meaning to things, or drawing emphasis to wrong things. He's gay, but it has to turn out the mayor is corrupt? How does that read as opposed to "the mayor of this town is corrupt".

It's just a fact that when you introduce new information about a character, you change how your narrative reads/goes/is expressed.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    GrindholmeGrindholme Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    WARNING: MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS

Ending romance scene for two male characters in Jade Empire, in case anyone's curious.

This is wonderful. If I played my way through an already-good game and received that ending, I would be so happy. It's amazing how much less...I dunno. It's hard to explain. You see some sort of not-awful not-horrible not-joke gay thing and it just lifts your whole day.

I glossed the last 2-3 pages but it seems like everyone agrees on the following points:
    1. Homosex shouldn't be used as a joke.
      (addendum: unless heterosex is a joke too, a la milf/cougar laughs, old japanese perverts getting el kabong'd, etc)
    2. If the main character is the one who's bi/homo, it should probably be an option, not hard-scripted. If it is hard-scripted, it probably shouldn't be over-emphasized.
    3. Bi/homo stuff shouldn't crop up too often, lets keep it realistic, we're outnumbered pretty significantly
    4. It would be hypocritical (is that a word?) to include sexuality issues and not race/gender/culture issues, a game with a gay main character and an entirely white cast except a couple ethnic jokes hasn't accomplished much

btw, anybody else play a maxed-out Physical character in Fable with a husband? My 9-foot-tall glowing angel viking standing next to his 5-ft hubby, then the dialogue "Would you like to have sex with your wife?" always cracked me up

Grindholme on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Grindholme wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    WARNING: MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS

Ending romance scene for two male characters in Jade Empire, in case anyone's curious.

This is wonderful. If I played my way through an already-good game and received that ending, I would be so happy. It's amazing how much less...I dunno. It's hard to explain. You see some sort of not-awful not-horrible not-joke gay thing and it just lifts your whole day.

:D

I agree with your points, and also, yes, I think that is a good ending, too.

There's obviously more dialogue along the way; I have some screen captures of what you can say.

sky_romance_01.jpg sky_romance_02.jpg sky_romance_03.jpg sky_romance_04.jpg sky_romance_05.jpg sky_romance_10.jpg sky_romance_11.jpg sky_romance_12.jpg sky_romance_13.jpg sky_romance_14.jpg sky_romance_15.jpg sky_romance_16.jpg sky_romance_17.jpg sky_romance_18.jpg sky_romance_20.jpg sky_romance_21.jpg sky_romance_22.jpg

Janson on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wasn't the problem with that ending that if you did it as a woman you were shown a kiss, but if you seduced him as a man the kiss is cut off by a black screen?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »
    Gay characters should only appear in games as the result of a genetic algorithm; not because a programmer chose it.
    Huh?
    You can't choose a game character's sexuality. When did anyone choose for the heterosexual characters to be heterosexual?

Yar on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gay characters should only appear in games as the result of a genetic algorithm; not because a programmer chose it.
    Huh?
    You can't choose a game character's sexuality. When did anyone choose for the heterosexual characters to be heterosexual?
    ITT, Yar derails the thread with moronic sarcasm.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Come now, I haven't really derailed it. I just made a stupid joke. I didn't think I'd have to clarify.

And this thread was pretty much over when someone asked whether or not there should be black characters in games.

Yar on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Huh?
    ITT, Yar derails the thread with moronic sarcasm.

I thought it was funny. It was pretty funny, Yar.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Nobody's asking for Sodomy Quest VII

I would totally play that game.
    Sarcastro wrote:
    The gay population runs in at about 10%, so lead characters that are gay are going to be few and far between just because gamemakers are going to want to target the largest section of the gaming population.

Sorry, but this one is a huge pet peeve of mine. This is one of the worst examples of bad statistics being thrown around and I like my statistics. Maybe that's why I like my strategy RPGs so much.

Now I'm just thinking of how one goes about maxing their homosexuality stats. Can one get the YMCA buff? In the character screen is the class choice pitcher or catcher? I mean jacobkosh is correct that homosexuality could be done well in a game, but I just can't imagine that it would be. It would almost certainly be bad, but if the game really went out of the way to portray it well, it would be like playing a Christian game where the whole 'game' bit is secondary to the point.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Undoubtedly, particularly in RPGs with romance options.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Wasn't the problem with that ending that if you did it as a woman you were shown a kiss, but if you seduced him as a man the kiss is cut off by a black screen?

On the Xbox, at least, I thought it cut out pre-kiss no matter who they were.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just started playing Bloodlines for the first time as a guy vamp with high charisma.

Suddenly, Im getting the options on a few guys to seduce them, that werent there when I was on a chick vamp.

It suddenly hit me : they are gay, and there is no fanfare, no big signs, nor do they even mention it. Except flirting with them on a guy works, whereas flirting as a girl doesnt.

After reading this thread, its made me love bloodlines even more.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    I just started playing Bloodlines for the first time as a guy vamp with high charisma.

Suddenly, Im getting the options on a few guys to seduce them, that werent there when I was on a chick vamp.

It suddenly hit me : they are gay, and there is no fanfare, no big signs, nor do they even mention it. Except flirting with them on a guy works, whereas flirting as a girl doesnt.

After reading this thread, its made me love bloodlines even more.

Unless I'm wrong, there are exactly two guys you can flirt with as a guy.

One of them is all into it, and the other is all disgusted/thinks you're joking.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    mrgilmoreanmrgilmorean Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    AcidSerra wrote: »
    I've met plently of unabashed flamers who scared me with how stereotypical they were, and I've met gay men who you simply would not have ever known unless they told you or started talking about thier boyfriend.

I sincerely hope this was a slip of the tongue (or keyboard as it were). As it reads now, you seem to be implying that the more stereotypically gay someone is, the more threatening they are. We should not care if a gay man is effeminate because that in itself is a neutral behavior trait. It's basically another version of the seen-but-not-heard argument.

mrgilmorean on
  • Options
    TelemachusTelemachus uncomfy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've met plently of unabashed flamers who scared me with how stereotypical they were, and I've met gay men who you simply would not have ever known unless they told you or started talking about thier boyfriend.

I sincerely hope this was a slip of the tongue (or keyboard as it were). As it reads now, you seem to be implying that the more stereotypically gay someone is, the more threatening they are. We should not care if a gay man is effeminate because that in itself is a neutral behavior trait. It's basically another version of the seen-but-not-heard argument.

I think this is an example of how hair-trigger many reactions in this thread are. Most people seem to be pretty well-intentioned, but are leapt upon for issues that boil down to semantical differences. For all I know, maybe AcidSerra does flee in terror every time he or she meets a guy who smacks of the fey. I think it far more likely, however, that it was just an expression. Perhaps not the most PC statement, as we should be accepting of men who evince every ounce of their homosexuality, but I can't help but feel that there are people lurking in the wings waiting for someone to post something slightly questionable so that it can be leapt upon in rightous defense. It's hard to have a discussion when people are afraid to say something wrong.

EDIT: Oh, and for what it's worth, I get super excited when I find out a game has some reference to non-heterosexual relationships. That Jade Empire clip filled me with gleee! I like that they crafted a specific story for a queer relationship, not just "oh, person B's gender is interchangable". Someone mentioned Oblivion earlier in the thread: I'm honestly surprised Bethesda didn't include homosexual relationships. Morrowind had a few references to homosexuality, and I just assumed they'd follow through once the games reached the point where familial relationships played a role.

Telemachus on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Telemachus wrote:
    Most people seem to be pretty well-intentioned, but are leapt upon for issues that boil down to semantical differences.

My brother went to college with a gay guy who hated camp/effeminate guys to the point of going out "queer-bashing".

He didn't like them defaming the reputation of real gay men.

Gorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Gorak wrote: »
    Telemachus wrote:
    Most people seem to be pretty well-intentioned, but are leapt upon for issues that boil down to semantical differences.

My brother went to college with a gay guy who hated camp/effeminate guys to the point of going out "queer-bashing".

Yeah, that's sad. One could understand where that self-loathing comes from, though. It's no fun growing up in a world that dislikes you for who you are.

Telemachus on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Telemachus wrote: »
    Telemachus wrote:

Yeah, that's sad. One could understand where that self-loathing comes from, though. It's no fun growing up in a world that dislikes you for who you are.

It wasn't self loathing. He was out and proud but hated camp men. He would effectively stand in the middle of town on a Saturday night and say, "I'm gay. Who wants to fight me."

Gorak on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

O_o

He was just saying that they were overly-stereotypical and it freaked him out. People who are walking cliches tend to freak me out a little bit. Doesn't mean I have a problem with them, it just means that I'm not 100% comfortable around them. This refers to all stereotypes, mind. Not just gay folk.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Telemachus wrote:

It wasn't self loathing. He was out and proud but hated camp men. He would effectively stand in the middle of town on a Saturday night and say, "I'm gay. Who wants to fight me."

Sounds like pretty warped pride to me. People who are happy with themselves generally don't feel a need to punch someone who might disagree.
    Not to make this into a very special episode of Montel, but I used to have the same problem. I'd go out looking for a fight to prove to myself/other people that I was just as much a man as they were. It's not a fun way to live

Telemachus on
  • Options
    mrgilmoreanmrgilmorean Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I think this is an example of how hair-trigger many reactions in this thread are. Most people seem to be pretty well-intentioned, but are leapt upon for issues that boil down to semantical differences. For all I know, maybe AcidSerra does flee in terror every time he or she meets a guy who smacks of the fey. I think it far more likely, however, that it was just an expression. Perhaps not the most PC statement, as we should be accepting of men who evince every ounce of their homosexuality, but I can't help but feel that there are people lurking in the wings waiting for someone to post something slightly questionable so that it can be leapt upon in rightous defense. It's hard to have a discussion when people are afraid to say something wrong.

EDIT: Oh, and for what it's worth, I get super excited when I find out a game has some reference to non-heterosexual relationships. That Jade Empire clip filled me with gleee! I like that they crafted a specific story for a queer relationship, not just "oh, person B's gender is interchangable". Someone mentioned Oblivion earlier in the thread: I'm honestly surprised Bethesda didn't include homosexual relationships. Morrowind had a few references to homosexuality, and I just assumed they'd follow through once the games reached the point where familial relationships played a role.

My intent is not to vilify AcidSerra. I apologize for coming off so pissed at her/him. Rather, I am bewildered that completely superficial matters like whether one lisps or has a limp handshake is even an issue. And while it may appear to be just semantics, I think unintentional slip-ups can often tell us what someone is really thinking. Just to be clear, I am not saying this is the case here at all. However, if that is AcidSerra's actual stance, I should be able to point out that I disagree and why it's wrong.

Anyway, this debate is not really going to go anywhere without a reply from AcidSerra.

I also get crazy excited when I find out a game has non-heterosexual relationships. Partially explains my infatuation with the Shadow Hearts series. Collecting those stud cards was the best sidequest I've ever encountered :)

mrgilmorean on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Gigaton wrote: »
    I don't know if that post was directed towards me, because I kind of thought that pretty much everyone here knew that I'm gay...
    We're like swimming in gays and bis and transsexuals and what have you on this board. It tends to kind of pass without notice.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Games should simply feature characters, and "characters" are not heterosexual by default.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The name of this thread really makes the notion seem much more contraversial than it needs to be.

Has anyone actually glanced at the title and said "fuck no, man, you crazy?"

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What this thread needs is some opposition. Anyone willing to take a hit for the team?

Telemachus on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    We could post this question at GameFAQs for opposing views.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    We could post this question at GameFAQs for opposing views from 10 year olds and morons.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    What this thread needs is some opposition. Anyone willing to take a hit for the team?

Devil advocacy is laaaame.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I wasn't serious.

Telemachus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    We could post this question at GameFAGs for opposing views.

Now now now, I think they would support the OP, no?

Drez on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It'll probably be a call for more lesbians.
    Lesbians make everything better, right?

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Just as a sidenote, this is not cool behavior.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    While it may not mean much: There was a gay love storyline for two years of the British soap opera Coronation Street.

I had never even heard of or watched the show before, and found it through random gay searching on Youtube (what? I'm gay, and I want to see hawt gay vids on Youtube!). Apparently it is the most popular show in Britain.

The two characters are Todd and Karl, Todd being the closeted straight guy who had been questioning his sexuality throughout the show long before he had ever met Karl. The storyline basically starts when he kisses his fiancee's brother, who freaks out not because it hints towards Todd's sexuality but because he's cheating on his sister. Todd's fiancee Sarah finds out and they have a discussion where Todd says he will not do it again. He then later meets a gay man at his work, Karl. They become close friends and eventually Todd ends up kissing Karl after visiting a gay club. The two develop an uneasy, but patient relationship hidden in secrecy but eventually leading to Todd coming out and telling Karl that he loves him and that it's the only thing keeping him going. Karl breaks up with him when things get really rough, because he doesn't want to be Todd's second-wheel affair. Todd then later has to deal with the amount of hate he gets from the community, mostly from his own brother (who he had been very close with) and his fiancee's family. At the end of the storyline, Todd leaves for college and is referenced in later seasons as moving on with his life and with a new boyfriend.

Ah well, it's the only really "realistic" gay relationship even if it contains affairs and deceit..it's still a coming-out story, and very well told.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dont forget the brits dont have the sexual hangups you americans do.

They are concerned about violence, not sex, whereas america is the other way around.

EDIT: I may be one of the few straight guys in this thread :P

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Dont forget the brits dont have the sexual hangups you americans do.

They are concerned about violence, not sex, whereas america is the other way around.

EDIT: I may be one of the few straight guys in this thread :P

See, that's why I worry about how tastefully homosexuality would be addressed in videogames. Yes, I don't think many people will tell you that homosexuals need special treatment, but the fact is, American culture, and particuarly the demographics of most videogames, is often pretty homophobic.

This isn't a crowd we ought to be feeding stereotypes. Alot of American attitudes suck, which is why if a game is going to address sexuality at all, it would be nice to see it addressed with some decorum.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But most videogames aren't made in America?

I mean, that's still true, right?

At least games so heavy in plot as to even reference anyone's romantic inclinations?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to retract my previous statements and say no, games should not feature characters that are bisexual or homosexual.

They should also not feature characters that are heterosexual. Or asexual.

In other words, drop the dumb love shit altogether, especially in RPGs where an otherwise good story can be tarnished by dumb love/protective/unreal altruistic plot crap. I want my characters to fight, not fuck.

Drez on