Options

Brazilian Jiu-[Chat]su

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    So I order a new tape library module.

Take out the old lto 3 module, put in the shiny new LTO 5 module. Delete the old LTO 3 parition in the Library GUI, try to create a new partition, no joy. So I call the library support (who we purchased the upgrade from directly seeing as it's a modular upgrade), they get incredulous with me and say we don't have a support contract on our library

yes but we just bought an upgrade for it from you, you can support the upgrade...

I think I broke this guy's brain. Fucking support

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    so the writing section was first. it was timed.

the prompt was like, your local town has received a charitable award to be used to enrich the teen community. the two options are a sports club and an expansion to the library with more young adult literature and a computer room. draft a letter to the town council arguing which is the better choice. i ended up arguing that the library expansion was the best option, i presented two primary arguments (that it would enable economic/career success and that it would enable personal growth and civic engagement). each got a paragraph, the first basically being 'blah blah communicative ability is fundamental to multiple branches of industry, exposure to accessible print literature and the breadth of language available on the internet will enrich and blah blah'. and i of course mentioned how computer skills are a valuable skillset even in many 'non-tech' fields. then the second paragraph was about civic engagement, getting kids interested etc. unfettered, open access to data- to a broader understanding of the world, and the ideas it possesses- makes for a more interested, empathetic citizen. i used the example of small town kids who lack the print and e-resources to explore the various ideas and cultured and who then experience maladjustment upon going to college or entering the workforce.

unfortunately, the proctor said there was no character limit but that ended up being untrue. there were about 90 seconds left- and i was maybe 50 words from finishing my submission- when i got a popup that i was exceeding the character limit. i had to frantically go back and excise any passages that weren't essential, and whose removal wouldn't interrupt the focus of the argument. this left me with almost no time to proof read the changed version, so i hope i didn't have any errors or continuity problems with hurriedly removing a couple of sentences. i literally hit 'finalize' with one second left. in any case, i think it was a strong submission and i imagine i did well.

the reading section was a joke. i'd be surprised if i got any wrong out of like 40 questions.

the math was... eh. it was the most important part for me, and it was also the most difficult. the way it worked was you'd answer a series of questions on a given topic- solving linear equations, the slope intercept form, simplifying radical expressions, etc. if you didn't get 'enough' correct in a given section (and note that you weren't penalized for wrong answers; if in doubt, i guessed), it would just stop. there'd be a sudden flashing on the screen as it 'decided' if you ought to move on.

i 'passed' the sections on one variable linear equations, two variable linear equations, graphing linear stuff, simplifying radicals, solving exponentiation division and distribution and shit, solving equations with i, logarithms, composite functions, and basic trig (sohcahtoa) and such. i was on the 'advanced trig' section with harder shit where i'm not sure how i fared when the test 'ended'. i got a few of those advanced trig questions right, i know, and a few i made guesses about which i'm confident. but i got some wrong, too, i'm sure. i don't know if that was just the 'level' i failed on, or if that was the end of the examination. i'm not sure. i was the last person in the room to finish the test, and i don't know whether that means i overthought a lot of stuff- or whether i got a lot more problems correct than others and so i was given more problems.

i then went to try and figure out what i was supposed to do next (financial aid? academic advisement? picking classes?). i then turned in a form (the 'signature' page for my application). it was kind of a mixed experience. on the one hand, everything's obviously kind of low rent and all the signs are like, printed on cheap paper and not formatted and in goofy fonts and the people i asked usually had to ask their supervisors for the answers to my questions. but on the other hand, everyone was obscenely nice and no one blew me off or was condescending. so it was good and bad, i guess. i saw a lot of kids working assiduously in various lounges, and it seems obvious that a lot of the students really do take it seriously despite it being a community college.

then after everything concluded (apparently i'm supposed to register for a new student orientation come wednesday? where i'll then be directed to financial aid and academic advisement) i walked a mile or so to try 5 guys for the first time. it was really tasty, but i was so nervous and queasy from the exam that i didn't finish the food.

now i'm home.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    That is quite interesting. I wonder what it would be like to block it for a while, and then not. Wold you revert back to your former flabby self?

Seems liek it'd be good to reach a goal, then go back to the usual way to maintain.

I've been meaning to look up how long it takes for somebody to lose acquired muscle mass. Thanks for the reminder.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    wtf is myostatin and why does it make you a superhero?

Chat is so bad about referencing things with no link.

if only there was a browser tool that allowed you to use a search engine

the internet is not a system whereby users break off for their own searching while a conversation is going on.

I think you may have some empirical evidence suggesting otherwise!

We are turning into a community of consumers, rather than one of users. That our behavior is beginning to self-align to the desired corporate shift is a source of tragedy, not evidence!

What I'm saying is
    WAKE UP SHEEPLE

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    man i hope we are genetically engineering ourselves soon

i want people who can run marathons in well under 2 hours and all that kind of stuff

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    @spool32, basically when a dog can't produce myostatin, he looks like he came from a Rob Liefeld comic book. Muscle growth goes through the roof.

Thing is, nobody can figure out why that's bad. We could all be muscular Popeyes (post-spinach) if we wanted, and nobody's found any drawbacks.

I saw a picture of a cow breed that couldn't produce myostatin. Terrifying thing to see. Did make me a little hungry however.

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »

i want people who can run marathons in well under 2 hours and all that kind of stuff

I just want to be able to avoid sleep without addiction.

• Options
    so the writing section was first. it was timed.

the prompt was like, your local town has received a charitable award to be used to enrich the teen community. the two options are a sports club and an expansion to the library with more young adult literature and a computer room. draft a letter to the town council arguing which is the better choice. i ended up arguing that the library expansion was the best option, i presented two primary arguments (that it would enable economic/career success and that it would enable personal growth and civic engagement). each got a paragraph, the first basically being 'blah blah communicative ability is fundamental to multiple branches of industry, exposure to accessible print literature and the breadth of language available on the internet will enrich and blah blah'. and i of course mentioned how computer skills are a valuable skillset even in many 'non-tech' fields. then the second paragraph was about civic engagement, getting kids interested etc. unfettered, open access to data- to a broader understanding of the world, and the ideas it possesses- makes for a more interested, empathetic citizen. i used the example of small town kids who lack the print and e-resources to explore the various ideas and cultured and who then experience maladjustment upon going to college or entering the workforce.

unfortunately, the proctor said there was no character limit but that ended up being untrue. there were about 90 seconds left- and i was maybe 50 words from finishing my submission- when i got a popup that i was exceeding the character limit. i had to frantically go back and excise any passages that weren't essential, and whose removal wouldn't interrupt the focus of the argument. this left me with almost no time to proof read the changed version, so i hope i didn't have any errors or continuity problems with hurriedly removing a couple of sentences. i literally hit 'finalize' with one second left. in any case, i think it was a strong submission and i imagine i did well.

the reading section was a joke. i'd be surprised if i got any wrong out of like 40 questions.

the math was... eh. it was the most important part for me, and it was also the most difficult. the way it worked was you'd answer a series of questions on a given topic- solving linear equations, the slope intercept form, simplifying radical expressions, etc. if you didn't get 'enough' correct in a given section (and note that you weren't penalized for wrong answers; if in doubt, i guessed), it would just stop. there'd be a sudden flashing on the screen as it 'decided' if you ought to move on.

i 'passed' the sections on one variable linear equations, two variable linear equations, graphing linear stuff, simplifying radicals, solving exponentiation division and distribution and shit, solving equations with i, logarithms, composite functions, and basic trig (sohcahtoa) and such. i was on the 'advanced trig' section with harder shit where i'm not sure how i fared when the test 'ended'. i got a few of those advanced trig questions right, i know, and a few i made guesses about which i'm confident. but i got some wrong, too, i'm sure. i don't know if that was just the 'level' i failed on, or if that was the end of the examination. i'm not sure. i was the last person in the room to finish the test, and i don't know whether that means i overthought a lot of stuff- or whether i got a lot more problems correct than others and so i was given more problems.

i then went to try and figure out what i was supposed to do next (financial aid? academic advisement? picking classes?). i then turned in a form (the 'signature' page for my application). it was kind of a mixed experience. on the one hand, everything's obviously kind of low rent and all the signs are like, printed on cheap paper and not formatted and in goofy fonts and the people i asked usually had to ask their supervisors for the answers to my questions. but on the other hand, everyone was obscenely nice and no one blew me off or was condescending. so it was good and bad, i guess. i saw a lot of kids working assiduously in various lounges, and it seems obvious that a lot of the students really do take it seriously despite it being a community college.

then after everything concluded (apparently i'm supposed to register for a new student orientation come wednesday? where i'll then be directed to financial aid and academic advisement) i walked a mile or so to try 5 guys for the first time. it was really tasty, but i was so nervous and queasy from the exam that i didn't finish the food.

now i'm home.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Today I learned why that one famous pit bull looks like that

Huh!

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    There's a couple of rare human instances of myostatin resistance or even immunity and so far as they can tell the only drawback is increased food needs, I guess?

if that

• Options

imagine a world where a sub 2-hour marathon, little-to-no sleep, never getting sick (ever), a 225 bench - say 15 or 20 times - and a genius-level IQ is normal

COME ON SCIENCE

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    youd expect a slight increase in incidence of myosarcoma

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    youd expect a slight increase in incidence of myosarcoma

and yet

nope!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I stopped drinking coffee for almost 3 months because I always put sugar and I didn't want that anymore

drank tea for a while but I got an iced coffee with skim milk last night and it LIT MY BRAIN ON FIRE

coffee is really good.

Coffee is basically the best thing.

Just learn to enjoy it black, not only is it better for you, but it makes you manlier <3

yes, I put the littlest bit of milk here but I'm working on it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    goeey you're living in a world where genius iqs are normal already

check out da flynn effect

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

imagine a world where a sub 2-hour marathon, little-to-no sleep, never getting sick (ever), a 225 bench - say 15 or 20 times - and a genius-level IQ is normal

COME ON SCIENCE

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

Sprint 10 meters on one breath!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I would love to not have to sleep

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Whoo, Chu! hope you'll be accepted.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Why do you want to live in a world of an even playing field Gooey? That is counter to the shark tank lifestyle you lead

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I stopped drinking coffee for almost 3 months because I always put sugar and I didn't want that anymore

drank tea for a while but I got an iced coffee with skim milk last night and it LIT MY BRAIN ON FIRE

coffee is really good.

Coffee is basically the best thing.

Just learn to enjoy it black, not only is it better for you, but it makes you manlier <3

yes, I put the littlest bit of milk here but I'm working on it.

You walk the path of righteousness my friend.

• Options
    dude sample size of 2, and both being like 10 years old, wouldnt be enough to tell lol

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    coffee is really good

I like mine black as an oil spill

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I'd just like to be able to forego it whenever I want. I mean, SOME sleep sure. Just not this damned 8hour requirement thing.

• Options

thanks. however, it wasn't an examination to determine entrance to the college. that's automatically granted. it was an examination to determine where i'll be 'placed' on the hierarchy of courses- what courses i can take my first semester without needing to take prerequisites.

my primary goal is to be allowed to take calculus in the fall.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Why would you drink coffee black? The texture is too thin and the mouthfeel is all wrong.

Nobody on earth thinks drinking black coffee is tough except people who do it until someone else pulls them aside and clarifies that it's not a shortcut to becoming Johnny Cash.

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    Why do you want to live in a world of an even playing field Gooey? That is counter to the shark tank lifestyle you lead

I said normal

who says that some of us wont be better than normal

i want the bell curve shifted way right

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    Why would you drink coffee black? The texture is too thin and the mouthfeel is all wrong.

Nobody on earth thinks drinking black coffee is tough except people who do it until someone else pulls them aside and clarifies that it's not a shortcut to becoming Johnny Cash.

i like my coffee black : (

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2012
    do people that have low or no myostatin need more food

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I drink coffee black because I think it tastes best that way.

You can keep your mouthfeel to yourself, what happens between you and your gentleman callers is your own business.

• Options
    by definition nerd

muscle tissue has a huge resting metabolic draw

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Organichu wrote: »

thanks. however, it wasn't an examination to determine entrance to the college. that's automatically granted. it was an examination to determine where i'll be 'placed' on the hierarchy of courses- what courses i can take my first semester without needing to take prerequisites.

my primary goal is to be allowed to take calculus in the fall.

From what you've described I doubt you'll have a problem there. I'd be very surprised if they didn't let you start at Calc 1.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Genius IQs are normal

The deaf have neural implants

Members of the public carry around communications devices that respond to plain English commands

We can instantly communicate to the majority of the world any time we want for free

we are living in the future

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    but where's my flying car

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Genius IQs are normal

Members of the public carry around communications devices that respond to plain English commands

We can instantly communicate to the majority of the world any time we want for free

i live in a fuckin' arcology

• Options
    ronya wrote: »

Are you...

are you avery brooks?

• Options

Genius IQs are normal

our public transportation is non existent
    our network infrastructure is strung together with paperclips and prayer
    we have a strong religious zealot faction component to our government
    warrantless wiretapping
    civilian assassinations

I agree we are living in the future

It's just a dystopian one.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Man I want to inhibit my myostatin production.

seriously, this needs to happen

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

image_title_cupvn.jpg

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Because espresso is the elixir of the gods, that's why

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Man I want to inhibit my myostatin production.

seriously, this needs to happen

/akira

This discussion has been closed.