Options

Prometheus - Probably an Alien prequel, unless it isn't (it totally is)

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Druhim wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm almost hoping it isn't an actual prequel.
    It would leave the ending open for the human's failure and could do a trilogy or something.
    I'm really excited either way.

I don't really see how anyone can argue that this isn't a prequel at this point. There's no doubt that it takes place in the same universe, no doubt that it predates the Alien films. I mean, you can argue semantics about whether it's a true prequel if it does or doesn't have xenomorphs, but your point is that they could do a trilogy with a completely different fate for humanity. The only way to do that would be to retcon.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at. A retcon, in my opinion, would make this film a bit more interesting than a prequel.
    I'm not super invested into the Aliens mythos and he hasn't officially chained Prometheus to it completely. There is still room for him to say that they are noncanon stories in the same universe.

That potentially unpopular opinion aside, I'm pretty excited by these trailers. Whosoever job it was to set these up should be praised.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A retcon would be a copout. Yeah, let's throw away everything that happened in the previous films in spite of the first two films being widely regarded as excellent films. Because you don't really care about them.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I have to agree with Dru here. A prequel is a much better idea for this than a retcon.

I just realized June is going to be an absolutely stellar month for movies.

In order of release date:
    Piranha 3DD (with lifeguard David Hasselhoff, Ving Rhames with a gun for a leg, and Gary Busey as a farmer who bites the head off a piranha that comes out of an exploding cow)
    Prometheus
    Brave
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    A retcon would be a copout. Yeah, let's throw away everything that happened in the previous films in spite of the first two films being widely regarded as excellent films. Because you don't really care about them.

me3's ending eh

heh heh heh topical

I'll kill myself now

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I guess my viewpoint is that the franchise has become an unnecessary limitation for a promising new story in the same universe.

I mean technically, Alien vs. Predator and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, were already set up as prequels by the franchise owners- so another prequel would be bound to that fiction.

I think everyone involved wanted to start something new, otherwise this would just be Alien (insert title here). That's my hope anyway.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    It's absolutely an alien prequel, the only question is wether or not there's going to be xenomorphs.

Did somebody say xenomorph?
    prometheus.png

My guess is that's as far as it'll go for the full-grown Aliens. Facehuggers, maybe. That thing above the operating table looked more like some multi-tentacled squid creature, although I suppose it could be a prototype or something.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I guess my viewpoint is that the franchise has become an unnecessary limitation for a promising new story in the same universe.

I mean technically, Alien vs. Predator and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, were already set up as prequels by the franchise owners- so another prequel would be bound to that fiction.

I think everyone involved wanted to start something new, otherwise this would just be Alien (insert title here). That's my hope anyway.

I think it would be no problem at all to ignore the AvP movies

• Options
    It's absolutely an alien prequel, the only question is wether or not there's going to be xenomorphs.

prometheus.png

My guess is that's as far as it'll go for the full-grown Aliens. Facehuggers, maybe. That thing above the operating table looked more like some multi-tentacled squid creature, although I suppose it could be a prototype or something.

Well shit
    What's the timestamp on that in the trailer

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Well shit
    What's the timestamp on that in the trailer

1:35 on the one I downloaded from Apple Trailers, right before the glowy space map activates.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Man, why do you people have to keep reminding me that there was one Alien vs Predator movie, let alone two

The games were much better. Like, it wasn't even close. The games were so much better

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    you know what movie was a little underrated I think was Predators

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I thought Predators was great.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I quite enjoyed Predators as well.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Predators was great, considering I walked in expecting it to be terrible. It was a pleasant surprise.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I also enjoyed Predators

wasn't as good as Predator or anything but still a good movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man I haven't rewatched Predators since I saw it in theaters
    I need to track down a copy

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Predators was alright but just felt constantly outclassed by Predator in every department.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    No. Absolutely not. They squeezed it dry. He (the xenomorph) did very well. (He laughs) He survived, he’s now in Disneyland in Orlando, and no way am I going back there. How did he end up in Disneyland? I saw him in Disneyland, Jesus Christ!

• Options
    Predators was alright but just felt constantly outclassed by Predator in every department.

It was never going to be better than Predator
    It was certainly a far better sequel to it than Predator 2 though

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    No. Absolutely not. They squeezed it dry. He (the xenomorph) did very well. (He laughs) He survived, he’s now in Disneyland in Orlando, and no way am I going back there. How did he end up in Disneyland? I saw him in Disneyland, Jesus Christ!

That's what I thought!

No one is scared of xenos anymore

Now it's all about... whatever these creatures are, if they're creatures at all

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

That's what I thought!

No one is scared of xenos anymore

Now it's all about... whatever these creatures are, if they're creatures at all

No-one is scared because after Aliens they were done terribly.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    watched both Alien vs. Predators last night so i am well positioned to give you my opinions

the first one is actually incredible and you won't convince me otherwise

the second is terrible though

• Options
    also everyone stopped being scared of xenomorphs the second there was more than one of them. it's like ninjas. one is more dangerous than ten thousand.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Guys, these new videos are killing me.

I don't think I can handle the wait.

Someone hug me, please!

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    also everyone stopped being scared of xenomorphs the second there was more than one of them. it's like ninjas. one is more dangerous than ten thousand.

I disagree! I think the idea of being surrounded by a whole bunch of them is very scary as well!

But it's escalation, you know

After you do that, there's no going back and having just one be scary anymore

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I have a feeling Prometheus is a film that Ridley Scott wouldn't mind if you thought of as a prequel to his original space-rapist horror film if you like but he's not terribly concerned about it himself.

• Options
    edited March 2012

I disagree. Predator 2 was superior. It had more fleshed out characters. The protagonists were too similar, excluding Topher Grace.

That said, it was better then the Alien vs Predator films and Alien 3 & 4.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

I disagree. Predator 2 was superior. It had more fleshed out characters. The protagonists were too similar, excluding Topher Grace.

What

Predator 2 blew in every possible regard

• Options

I disagree! I think the idea of being surrounded by a whole bunch of them is very scary as well!

also, if there's a thousand of them, you're either dead too quickly to care or you're some sort of action hero space marine, and few things are truly scary to the man with the pulse rifle

knowing that there's an alien somewhere in your house is scarier than knowing there are aliens everywhere in your house

• Options
    edited March 2012

Escalation only works when it's done well. Multiple xenomorphs worked in Aliens, not in Alien vs Predator 2.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

Escalation only works when it's done well. Multiple xenomorphs worked in Aliens, not in Alien vs Predator 2.

Also Aliens wasn't a horror film so much as an action film. Alien was horror, so it made sense to use the xenomorph sparingly. Since Aliens was really an action film (and a great one at that), it made much more sense in that context to show much more of them both killing and getting killed.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options

Also Aliens wasn't a horror film so much as an action film. Alien was horror, so it made sense to use the xenomorph sparingly. Since Aliens was really an action film (and a great one at that), it made much more sense in that context to show much more of them both killing and getting killed.

Agreed.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Maybe there shouldn't be sequels to this. I mean, any more sequels.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options

also, if there's a thousand of them, you're either dead too quickly to care or you're some sort of action hero space marine, and few things are truly scary to the man with the pulse rifle

knowing that there's an alien somewhere in your house is scarier than knowing there are aliens everywhere in your house

Alien-verse Space Marines get curbstomped by xenomorphs in that scenario. You'd have to replace them with WH 40K Space Marines to stand a significant chance beyond dog food.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    On a side note, I really like the high-pitched shriek-beeps near the end. Who wants to take bets on it becoming the next Inception-Bwom overused audio effect in trailers?

Not sure I'm convinced by Stringer Bell's southern accent, but maybe that's just payback for years of Americans doing bad British accents.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Maybe their shouldn't be sequels to this. I mean, any more sequels.

There can be sequels, they just have to be good.

edit: Until it's confirmed the Alien vs Predator films aren't canon anymore. Scott has been up front that he considers them terrible so I doubt he'll include them tied to his Prometheus film.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

prometheus.png

Well, the facehuggers and xenomorphs are supposed to incorporate physical features of their hosts. Obviously, the original designs just come from Giger being obsessed with anatomy and sex, but I mean after that. So the things in the movie could easily be the same biological whatever as the xenomorphs just prior to exposure to humans. And the facehugger in Alien could appear a certain way, because it's genetically descended from human victims in Prometheus or whatever.

• Options
    On a side note, I really like the high-pitched shriek-beeps near the end.

Check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEVY_lonKf4

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    On a side note, I really like the high-pitched shriek-beeps near the end.

Check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEVY_lonKf4

Oh damn, I had no idea that was a callback to the original trailer

That is fantastic

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It could be an alt-universe

I wouldn't be bothered by that