Options

Prometheus - Probably an Alien prequel, unless it isn't (it totally is)

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    also everyone stopped being scared of xenomorphs the second there was more than one of them. it's like ninjas. one is more dangerous than ten thousand.

I disagree! I think the idea of being surrounded by a whole bunch of them is very scary as well!

But it's escalation, you know

After you do that, there's no going back and having just one be scary anymore

also, if there's a thousand of them, you're either dead too quickly to care or you're some sort of action hero space marine, and few things are truly scary to the man with the pulse rifle

knowing that there's an alien somewhere in your house is scarier than knowing there are aliens everywhere in your house

Alien-verse Space Marines get curbstomped by xenomorphs in that scenario. You'd have to replace them with WH 40K Space Marines to stand a significant chance beyond dog food.

Nah.

Marines just got OBSCENELY unlucky.
    They got the bad luck equivalent of winning the lottery on the same day you win the world series and have sex with seven or so supermodels. Low on ammo, no tank, no air support, nuclear reactor is melting down, half the squad dies at first contact, Burke is trying to kill everyone...

Get a team that believes Ripley and takes a little more caution? They've got pretty good odds of living to extract. I mean, Hicks and Bishop were basically killed by space magic in the sequel.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    It's totally going to be a musical.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    This looks great.

I can't wait to see a movie in theaters again :P

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Aliens are terrifying, near-unbeatable killing machines in close quarters when they get to ambush you

But if you can see them and get time to shoot them, then they die

It's like, if a modern soldier with an assault rifle walked into a pitch black room and a tiger jumped on his face

then he would get ripped to pieces

but if he walked in, saw a tiger twenty yards down the hallway, and filled it full of lead, then it would be dead and he would be fine

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Thanks for the update.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Basically, in the first film they are a mostly unarmed ship's crew with bugger all military experience fighting an incredibly cunning super-predator, and it fucks them up.

In the second film, they are fighting a whole lot of them, but they have guns and know how to use them

also, that squad is supposed to be the fuck-up, rejects and losers squad, and they have a shit ton of bad luck

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    also everyone stopped being scared of xenomorphs the second there was more than one of them. it's like ninjas. one is more dangerous than ten thousand.

I disagree! I think the idea of being surrounded by a whole bunch of them is very scary as well!

also, if there's a thousand of them, you're either dead too quickly to care or you're some sort of action hero space marine, and few things are truly scary to the man with the pulse rifle

knowing that there's an alien somewhere in your house is scarier than knowing there are aliens everywhere in your house

Alien-verse Space Marines get curbstomped by xenomorphs in that scenario. You'd have to replace them with WH 40K Space Marines to stand a significant chance beyond dog food.

Nah.

They got the bad luck equivalent of winning the lottery on the same day you win the world series and have sex with seven or so supermodels. Low on ammo, no tank, no air support, nuclear reactor is melting down, half the squad dies at first contact, Burke is trying to kill everyone...

Get a team that believes Ripley and takes a little more caution? They've got pretty good odds of living to extract. I mean, Hicks and Bishop were basically killed by space magic in the sequel.
    Only it wasn't bad luck that made them have those losses. It was xenomorphs. A key factor in their lack of support was a fucking xeno popping up in the pilot's cockpit killing the pilots before they could land their plane.

Half the squad dying at first contact wasn't bad luck, either. Ripley briefed them herself and they still got taken out like amateurs.

Burke going nuts was from the stress from fighting the xenomorphs. Without them psychologically fucking him up he'd have been fine. But that's what happens when you're surrounded by xenomorphs who want to eat your face.

It's not Bishop or Hicks' fault they got killed by a xeno queen who had learnt stealth from the goddamn Batman.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i kind of agree

wish i hadn't watched the second trailer

i mean i was already gonna see this day one but now i know seemingly a lot about the plot

what a fool i was

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Xenomorphs rely on stealth and surprise for a reason. It is because they are melee killers. Against marines with high powered rifles and who are trained to know what they're going up against, xenomorphs aren't so much a threat. Ranged beats melee, simple as that.

Now if you want to bring goku into this conversation, we'll have a showstopper.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    who would win in a fight between Deadpool and a xenomorph

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

whoever wins, we lose

• Options

Depends on the xenomorph, but I'd say Deadpool wins more often than not.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

Spawn.

• Options
    I mean, damn, (aliens spoilers)
    two simple turrets took out scores and score and scores of xenomorphs

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Spawn.

batman

if he has time to prepare

7656367.jpg
  • Options

Drones, not queens. Predators get killed by those.

• Options

Crunch all you want.

We'll make more.

• Options

Spawn.

Rob Liefeld

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Nah.

Only it wasn't bad luck that made them have those losses. It was xenomorphs. A key factor in their lack of support was a fucking xeno popping up in the pilot's cockpit killing the pilots before they could land their plane.

Half the squad dying at first contact wasn't bad luck, either. Ripley briefed them herself and they still got taken out like amateurs.

Burke going nuts was from the stress from fighting the xenomorphs. Without them psychologically fucking him up he'd have been fine. But that's what happens when you're surrounded by xenomorphs who want to eat your face.

It's not Bishop or Hicks' fault they got killed by a xeno queen who had learnt stealth from the goddamn Batman.
    Burke was a dickweed from the start. His whole plan was "Kill or bribe everyone so I can smuggle out incredibly dangerous bioweapons." Look at the squad size. Way below regulation for this kind of mission. He kept it small so there'd be less people to bribe or kill.

As for bad luck?

1) The aliens were in a reactor core. So, the first fight they couldn't shoot most guns, or everyone dies.

2) LOTS of friendly fire. Deitrich, one of the two marines with flame units, friendly fired Frost, who was carrying all the ammo. That's an X-Com mission's worth of bad luck there. But it got worse. The ammo then explodes, killing Crowe. They were losing as much of the team to friendly fire as the xenos.

3) Even giving full credit to the thing for sneaking onto the ship, it was amazingly bad luck for the dropship to hit the APC. If it hadn't, the squad would have had a tank that could take down more or less anything the xenos had. As it stood, they lost most of the ammo, turrets, plasma cannons...

That's full FUBAR. Even if the thing is smart, it doesn't have a pilot's license. This is luck on its side, nothing more.

4) And the Queen didn't have time to lay eggs. That is total evil wizard territory.

I mean, other than Newt, Hicks, Bishop, and Ripley dying in 3, I'm not complaining. Those breaks made for one of the best movies out there. But it's still the mother of all bad days. And poor Hudson was just two weeks from retirement.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Colonial Space Marines with a clear idea of what to expect and a semi-competent officer would've smoked the shit out of LV-426

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Spawn.

Rob Liefeld

The Official Pog Set of Rob Lielfeld's Spawn vs Aliens: Extreme Justice - the Anime.

• Options

Spawn.

batman

if he has time to prepare

That only applies to Batgod. Standard Batman better hope he can run them over with his Batmobile.

• Options

Must be shitty Predators then. Queens are certainly bad ass looking, but ultimately only a threat if you're within arms reach.

• Options
    Seriously. I'm pretty sure a burst of 10mm caseless High-Explosive would make a Queen fly apart into meaty chunks just as good as the little fellas.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Must be shitty Predators then. Queens are certainly bad ass looking, but ultimately only a threat if you're within arms reach.

That's true. A missile or rocket propelled grenade would hurt them badly or kill them. Just to be sure, they'd need to spam them not leave it at one projectile.

Spoiler for AvP
    to be fair the Predators were all rookies.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I was disappointed with the new Aliens VS Predator game.

• Options
    Man

the queen reveal in Aliens

what a great piece of cinema

god I need to buy that blu-ray

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    what are you people doing

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Colonial Space Marines with a clear idea of what to expect and a semi-competent officer would've smoked the shit out of LV-426

IMO they needed more than one squad. They needed to go Starship Troopers on the xenomorphs.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The time I recognised the Queens gigantic, disgusting egg sac/ovipositor on a termite queen in an Attenborough documentary I just grinned and grinned.

Not the same doco, but check this fucker out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta2rF6Syi0U

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Now I'm remembering AvP gold.

Remember how badass the smartgun was? That thing can hold off pretty much anything indefinitely if ammo holds out. Got a round of survival on the map with the little base going where I could live as long as I wanted.

Just smart running and smartgunning. Good times.

That marine ran really fast, come to think.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    AvP 2 was a pretty fun game.

A little shallow, but had some cool moments. The first human mission was damn good at building tension.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I had a ton of fun with the multiplayer beta for the new AvP. Then it came out and was not great

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

Well, that's where you need to be if you're going to take your trophy with honor.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    It looks good. If done right it could take a place among my favorite movies.
    The Legend of Drunken Master best movie of all time that changed cinema forever

Fact.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I saw advertisements for this when I saw Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (which was pretty sweet).

And I was like

what? no.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Options

Well, that's where you need to be if you're going to take your trophy with honor.

Yet it's honorable for Predators to shoot at humans while being invisible, and survive being shot at by our weapons without dying.

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    This Predators movie is no good.

I want to know how even with CGI and more advanced special effects, the creatures in this movie looked worse than the original.

There should be a law about this kind of thing.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This Predators movie is no good.

I want to know how even with CGI and more advanced special effects, the creatures in this movie looked worse than the original.

There should be a law about this kind of thing.

Yeah, this was the one major flaw of Predators

How did anyone look at that creature design and go "yeah, this looks good"

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options

Yet it's honorable for Predators to shoot at humans while being invisible, and survive being shot at by our weapons without dying.

No-one said they were smart.