Options

KOEI Warriors games

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    cckerberos wrote: »
    They can't release WO3! I haven't started WOZ yet! (or DW7, SW3E...)

I'm still playing Sengoku Basara 3, which I enjoy even though I was expecting it to be a bit more different from Koei's games.

How was the Troy game?

SB3 in particular is pretty massively different from Musou games, mechanically.

Well, unless you're playing Keiji I guess. But that's just because his entire schtick is that he plays like a Musou character.

Dont let this man lie to you. It's you, a billion dudes, and hitting X to infinity. Anything else is just doing too much.

You're doing it wrong.

I've yet to find a mission I can't beat that way, regardless of difficulty, so apparently it isn't that wrong!

Well, except the horse one. But exception, rule, etc, etc.

I didn't realize you could kill people with the jump button.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Dont let this man lie to you. It's you, a billion dudes, and hitting X to infinity. Anything else is just doing too much.

Oh, I agree. The big difference seems to be that the stages are much shorter and (generally speaking) much easier. You can usually ignore the regular soldiers even on Difficult, something that will get you killed really quickly in the Koei games.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    is gundam 3 worth getting or what? anyone play it?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

It's worth getting.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

It's worth getting.

I thought it was pretty good. I didn't quite like how they forced you to jump between stories to advance, nor was I a fan of some of the less.. uh, fun stages. Like the giant boss ones. Those were just annoyingly time consuming.
    Maddoc wrote: »
    cckerberos wrote: »
    They can't release WO3! I haven't started WOZ yet! (or DW7, SW3E...)

I'm still playing Sengoku Basara 3, which I enjoy even though I was expecting it to be a bit more different from Koei's games.

How was the Troy game?

SB3 in particular is pretty massively different from Musou games, mechanically.

Well, unless you're playing Keiji I guess. But that's just because his entire schtick is that he plays like a Musou character.

You're doing it wrong.

I've yet to find a mission I can't beat that way, regardless of difficulty, so apparently it isn't that wrong!

Well, except the horse one. But exception, rule, etc, etc.

I didn't realize you could kill people with the jump button.

I didn't realize people kept default key configs. Just like I swap triangle to R1. Because its just easier. I just put jump on O because you /never need to jump ever/ unless you're playing someone who has a nice arial smash attack and you want to spam it to clear mooks.

Light to x, strong to r1, jump to o, play without ever having to move your finger off x ever. taptaptap, x to win.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    lets say i havent ever played a dynasty warriors game but now find myself with some kind of urge to play one. would gundam 3 be a good one to play? if not, which one?

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if you were only looking to play a Gundam title or not (the wording there makes it a little ambiguous), but DW7:XL is the newest actual Dynasty Warriors title and would be a pretty decent introduction in my personal opinion. You don't actually need the original title to get enjoyment out of it, either. Can't actually comment on the Gundam line of titles, though, as I have no experience with them.

Alternatively, Orochi Warriors 3 just came out recently (the mishmash mixup crossover game of Dynasty and Samurai Warriors). It's download only on PSN (like 11 GB), and 360 version had a proper disc release.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    WO's story is a little harder to get the injokes of if you haven't had some experience with either DW or SW.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Yeah, but it's still a fine game of bustin' up dudes. I don't think any of the games are truly of a "you must have played X beforehand" variety outside of a couple of the older XL titles, and them only arguably so.

• Options
    The thing that makes me most sad about WO3 vs DW7 is that since you can't swap weapons any more, if you want to use the completely amazing Flying Swords, you have to use Zhong Hui who is totally meh as a character.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    So they never brought Create A Warrior back, then, I take it?

Anyways, as a shameless Gundam nerd, I can tell you that DW:G3 is a solid entry, and quite fun. But I also won't lie, from what I've played of them, the latest DW stuff has some serious refinement that the Gundam games lack.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    lets say i havent ever played a dynasty warriors game but now find myself with some kind of urge to play one. would gundam 3 be a good one to play? if not, which one?

Gundam 3 is actually a pretty good one to start with since the map design is quite a bit barebones, making it fairly easier to get around. It's not all that interesting to look at (which is a shame since the art style is nicer than the other games) and the roster of Gundams is pretty great. Gundam 2 has a few less gundams, but it actually has a proper story mode (for like, six characters) and then the Mission mode which will definitely keep you busy for a while. More importantly, it has maps that aren't just boxes connected with hallways.

Really though, each Gundam game (even the first) has their strong and weak points, making it hard to say which is the 'best' iteration. I would say that 3 would be the best one for a newcomer, though.

Edit: @yalborap: The latest entries to have CAW were DW6: Empires and Dynasty Warriors Next for Vita. But yeah, it's unfortunately not as common in the games as it should be.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Dammit, I'm seriously tempted to get DWNext. The touchscreen stuff is actively stupid, but dammit, it's essentially full Dynasty Warriors in the palm of my hand, huge crowds of easily murdered dudes and all. Plus, it has Create A Warrior, and I do so enjoy making my own dudette in stuff....

You can see why I'm torn.

• Options
    Yeah. For what it's worth, Next is a -really- good entry, even though it has a trophy list that I'm seriously just not even going to bother with. The only real bad touchscreen thing is the duels which, once you get the 'science' behind the AI, become fairly easy to get through so you can resume actually playing the game.

The way it actually uses CAW is pretty neat too, since it uses your characters to send as data for other people when they play Conquest. So when you generate a map with the "Play Online" option (which actually just means retrieve online data) someone gets -you- and your characters to fight against (and sometimes with, since they'll join other people if they're the 'most important' person defeated in that fight). So really, your character is actually used in a way that allows you to 'show them off' so to speak.

• Options
    Anyone see any point to the crystal weapons so far? Other than looking cool, they're a few points weaker than 3 and 4 stars looks like.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Dammit, Mogs.

I'll pick it up on Friday, when the paycheck comes in. I hope you're happy.

How much room does the CAW have?

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I feel like DW Next is pretty weak, actually. The rendering distance for people is pretty sad and the graphics overall aren't great. Seeing what the Vita can do, I think they could have pushed the hardware a little more. All the touchscreen stuff is clunky and the duels are awful (just wait until everybody has 1 and 1/2 health bars, and you take maybe 1/20th of it away per hit). The character customization mode is appreciated, though.

Perhaps Warriors Orochi spoiled me, because I couldn't get enough of that game.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    yalborap wrote: »
    Dammit, Mogs.

I'll pick it up on Friday, when the paycheck comes in. I hope you're happy.

How much room does the CAW have?

As in, how many CAWs can you make? Uhm...a good amount, actually. I don't know the exact number, but you get a trophy for making 10 and there's room for more beyond that.

• Options
    I meant more how customizable are they?

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I'm still grumpy there's no 7XL for 360. THIS IS WHY 7 IS THE ONLY WARRIORS GAME I DON'T HAVE, KOEI.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    Oh, they're a fair bit customizable. Height, body type, skin color, hair, mouth, nose and eyes are all workable, then there's all sorts of outfit pieces (some you start with, the rest you get from Ranking up, which goes up quite a ways) that you can mix and match between Head, Upper Body, Gloves, Pants and Boots, as well as being able to change the colors (individually) between Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple, Black and maaaaybe White, I forget on that one, though. You also have a few accessories for the face that you can throw on (the eye patches are the only ones worth it in my opinion but, still), and then you can decide Voice, Motion (basically whose weapon they get. Keep in mind, their weapon determines the EX and Musou attack as well), stats (sort of, there's like...five pre-sets and you don't get to take and give from there), and what tactic their officer card offers (which is basically a kind of buff that you can pay for before a battle that does all sorts of various things depending on what it is).

It's not -super- deep, but there's quite a bit there. The worst thing about it is that the character limit for the name is only eight spaces.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The Joan of Arc/Magoichi Saika mission has some pretty fun flavor to it. Joan's moveset is pretty good, also. Her R1 adds on the whirlwind attack boost for a short while that 3 star Power category characters got in DW7, although it doesn't hurt as much as theirs does.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like DW Next is pretty weak, actually. The rendering distance for people is pretty sad and the graphics overall aren't great. Seeing what the Vita can do, I think they could have pushed the hardware a little more. All the touchscreen stuff is clunky and the duels are awful (just wait until everybody has 1 and 1/2 health bars, and you take maybe 1/20th of it away per hit). The character customization mode is appreciated, though.

I didn't mind the duels, and I never had a duel where I did so little damage. Levels and weapons do matter. They weren't great, and at times they really annoyed me, but I appreciate that they tried.

Also the story mode in next is one of the best in the series.

The only thing I really hated was the calligraphy mini game and how getting weapons and such really wasn't effected by difficulty. Otherwise I thought it was solid, kept a good frame rate even with clumps of dudes and fireballs everywhere.

WO3 thus far is a mixed bag for me. It feels far grindier then usual warriors games. Especially just doing stages taking like 20 minutes even with my ohko win button Wang Yuanji.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The problem is finding one with a straight shot to just kill the map boss. Alot of maps are gated or the guy isn't up or your allies really suck so you actually do need to run around and rescue them and so on.

I keep redoing the one that first introduces Shuten Doji because that's relatively contained in one portion of the map and only has a couple events if I'm rushing it and not grinding up the other missions.

EDIT: What I wouldn't give just to have a better goddamn horse right now

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options

I didn't mind the duels, and I never had a duel where I did so little damage. Levels and weapons do matter. They weren't great, and at times they really annoyed me, but I appreciate that they tried.

Also the story mode in next is one of the best in the series.

The only thing I really hated was the calligraphy mini game and how getting weapons and such really wasn't effected by difficulty. Otherwise I thought it was solid, kept a good frame rate even with clumps of dudes and fireballs everywhere.

WO3 thus far is a mixed bag for me. It feels far grindier then usual warriors games. Especially just doing stages taking like 20 minutes even with my ohko win button Wang Yuanji.

Well if it helps you, my Rank is 20 and I'm using a Serpent Blade with 15 attack, 15 speed, and 15 strength attack. Putting everything together, my character hovers around 870 attack.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have a question about WO3, does WO3 have the same 'enchanting' weapon mehanic as WO2? i.e. combine certain weapon abilities (bolt, slay, etc) with certain items, to give it a big bonus. Or do the two items attached to you weapon replace it?

Edit: I'm really just trying to replicate the 'Almighty' ability from WO2.

WadeWilson on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    So Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle just arrived in Europe. As an enormous fan of the franchise, I'm honestly thinking about importing it...anyone here play it yet?

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    WadeWilson wrote: »
    I have a question about WO3, does WO3 have the same 'enchanting' weapon mehanic as WO2? i.e. combine certain weapon abilities (bolt, slay, etc) with certain items, to give it a big bonus. Or do the two items attached to you weapon replace it?

I haven't seen Almighty pop up yet in WO3, but I'm also fairly early in the game. So far it seems to work similar to WO2 with having attributes on weapons and using fusion to move those from weapon to weapon until you have some Agility10/Bolt10/Slay10 etc murder machine.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    So Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle just arrived in Europe. As an enormous fan of the franchise, I'm honestly thinking about importing it...anyone here play it yet?

Oh man I have never heard of this and now I want it so badly I think my teeth hurt.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also yeah, in my experience duels in DNW are completely divorced from your actual weapon stats.

Each character actually really seems to have some sort of hidden duel stat, or something.

• Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

I haven't seen Almighty pop up yet in WO3, but I'm also fairly early in the game. So far it seems to work similar to WO2 with having attributes on weapons and using fusion to move those from weapon to weapon until you have some Agility10/Bolt10/Slay10 etc murder machine.

Yeah, the fusion system is the same, but in WO2 if you combined Slay 10, Bolt 10, Agilty 10 + 5 more 10s, and had the right items, (Phoenix wing, lion's claw, etc) you could add an additional enchantment to weapon. Giving extra abilities in addtion to the weapon attributes. I didn't see the menu options or structure for that, so I was curious.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Yeah, the fusion system is the same, but in WO2 if you combined Slay 10, Bolt 10, Agilty 10 + 5 more 10s, and had the right items, (Phoenix wing, lion's claw, etc) you could add an additional enchantment to weapon. Giving extra abilities in addtion to the weapon attributes. I didn't see the menu options or structure for that, so I was curious.
    Hmm...I'll take your word for it, I don't remember that system, but it's been ages since I played WO2.

Agility 10 was a liability more than anything else, though, on certain characters. Rapiers (Nu Wa, for example) are pretty much unusable unless you just want to spam Square.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SquigieSquigie Registered User regular

Yes, the Orochi 2 enhancement crafting system is, thankfully, gone. Some of the effects have been changed to weapon attributes. Almighty is one of a few gold attributes that are only found on high star stages on hard or chaos.

Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    There's not alot of room to mess around with attributes. Might, Brawn, Courage, Bolt, Wind, and Slay all seem like you can't do without them. Then, depending on character, they might want Reach and Agility. 1-2 slots to play around with.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh, Xing Cai's sword and shield gained a neat little parry autoability. Helps make up for the fact that it's a pretty meh weapon type. I might actually try Cavalier on her for lack of anything else. She doesn't clear crowds well, her EX is pretty so-so, she doesn't deal all that well...all she really has going for her is an amazing Musou. Since you can't keep that charged with killing chaff, it seems like she's supposed to just sit on the bench and sub in occasionally?

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Squigie wrote: »

Yes, the Orochi 2 enhancement crafting system is, thankfully, gone. Some of the effects have been changed to weapon attributes. Almighty is one of a few gold attributes that are only found on high star stages on hard or chaos.
    *Shrug* Oh, well. I kinda liked that system. But at least almighty is still around. :)

WadeWilson on
  • Options
    Having played even more DW Next (I had put about 20 hours into it by my last comment), I have to say it's more fun than I gave it credit for. The duels are still terribly scaled (even worse now, I can spend upwards of 3 minutes on each one), but the campaign mode is mostly fun* and conquest is pretty solid, too**.

* I hate the missions that require you use a certain character. I swear they choose the worst one each time.

** There is some bullshit as it can be possible not to be able to invade any surrounding territories and the enemies take you over without you being able to do anything. Slightly less aggravating but just as bad is when you take 1 territory from an enemy and they take 1 from you, wash, rinse, repeat for infinity

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Having played even more DW Next (I had put about 20 hours into it by my last comment), I have to say it's more fun than I gave it credit for. The duels are still terribly scaled (even worse now, I can spend upwards of 3 minutes on each one), but the campaign mode is mostly fun* and conquest is pretty solid, too**.

* I hate the missions that require you use a certain character. I swear they choose the worst one each time.

** There is some bullshit as it can be possible not to be able to invade any surrounding territories and the enemies take you over without you being able to do anything. Slightly less aggravating but just as bad is when you take 1 territory from an enemy and they take 1 from you, wash, rinse, repeat for infinity

The fact that territory leveling is random is kind of a black eye for Conquest mode, I think. It'd be a lot more tactically interesting if you could choose which territory to fortify.

That said, you get the best shit if you let a territory get to a high level before taking it over, so sometimes letting the game drag is in your best interest.

• Options
    For someone with as cool a weapon as he has, Yoshitsune Minamoto's moveset blows.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    For someone with as cool a weapon as he has, Yoshitsune Minamoto's moveset blows.
    He's not too bad if you give his weapon Blast.

I just unlocked Ryu. And when I saw one of his moves was the Izuna drop, I almost squealed. It's so much easier to pull off than in DoA. :p

WadeWilson on