As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

this is the save toonami thread for babbys check OP for details you candycorns

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    trigun and...astroboy. black and white astro. should i try to stay up to see this to the end

well it's an anime based on a manga by the dude who basically created manga as we know it

so

yes

(also dude was watchin hells of disney at the time)

no i love tezuka its just

a black and white cartoon at 5 am

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    I kinda wish they showed some Ronin Warriors, since that was one of my first animes, but still, it's been a great ride so far.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    none of the rest of you jerks are even watching anymore are you >: |

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i was
    i just don't like trigun

• Options
    Veretas wrote: »
    Guys my dad dressed up as Astro when he was kid for Halloween

My dad

cosplayed

before it was cool

That's amazing.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    trigun and...astroboy. black and white astro. should i try to stay up to see this to the end

well it's an anime based on a manga by the dude who basically created manga as we know it

so

yes

(also dude was watchin hells of disney at the time)

no i love tezuka its just

a black and white cartoon at 5 am

mensch you are watching a cartoon my dad watched when he was barely out of diapers

so

yes

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Also btw the real reason anime is so weird about it's niche appeal is that for most networks in Japan the show itself doesn't make much money from advertising, that all goes to the network

So the only way they make money is dvd sales and then toys and figurines

So instead of spreading out the appeal to make themselves more attractive to advertisers, they have to narrow it to appeal to the guys who buy creepy pillows and figures, because that's the only way to make their money back.

Not all networks work that way though, which is why the NoitamA animation block is almost always something watchable, if not necessarily good

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    i was
    i just don't like trigun

BAD OPINION DETECTED WEOOOO WEEEEEEOOOOO WEEEEEOOOOOOOO

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options

I'm waiting for Trigun right now, though I have Blue Sub 6 on in the other room.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

nah i'm watching because my sleep is all craaaaaaazy

didn't wake up till 3 PM so

i'm just readin batman comics right now

batman's pretty cool right about now guys!

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular

mensch I don't even own a tv

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    trigun has its moments

it's no outlaw star though

anyway it's 4:16 out of nowhere you chumps have a good night

• Options
    Oh hell, they just showed one of those Toonami music video deals. The one with lots of Outlaw Star clips. God, what an awesome april fools this is.

• Options
    blakeblake Registered User regular
    I am still watching.

That "control your own desinty" promo.... so much nostalgia. It's a really good promo.

What kind of bees make milk?
    Boobees!
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I am living vicariously through your reactions.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Still so happy I have this

WiBGD.jpg

zrb9W.jpg

Bebop had some of the craziest adventures. It was a lot like Outlaw Star, which often had deep moments mixed in with crazy action and bits of hilarity. But it took things so much farther without going nearly as nuts with the story, and with having some of the most amazing one shot characters I've ever seen anywhere.

My most favorite episode is Brain Scratch.

Especially the ending, which always makes me very uncomfortable and nearly brings me to tears, every damned time I see it.
    If you haven't seen the show, or just missed this episode, I'll just say that the episode was about a cult that had its members transfer their minds onto the web as a form of transhumanism. A lot of them went crazy, and some even killed themselves, and so there were a lot of bounty hunters looking for the guy in charge.

Spike was tracking him down, but ended up falling into the same trap that nearly killed Faye. Meanwhile, Jet Ed and Ein (yes Ein actually saved the day, here) found that the source was actually coming from a hospital, specifically from a patient who was supposedly a total vegetable since getting into an accident years ago.

The resulting confrontation is... amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acW-axefwaM

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular

Watching Gundam Wing right now. Waiting to see which episode of Tenchi they got.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Also btw the real reason anime is so weird about it's niche appeal is that for most networks in Japan the show itself doesn't make much money from advertising, that all goes to the network

So instead of spreading out the appeal to make themselves more attractive to advertisers, they have to narrow it to appeal to the guys who buy creepy pillows and figures, because that's the only way to make their money back.

Not all networks work that way though, which is why the NoitamA animation block is almost always something watchable, if not necessarily good

In a way, the anime industry oddly mirrors the american comic book industry, in how it has focused itself to such a extremely narrow band. It's a shame, really.

• Options
    triguns really really stupid but.....

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »

Man Gundam Wing was always pretty dumb but

I've always really loved the look of the character designs

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    FCD wrote: »

In a way, the anime industry oddly mirrors the american comic book industry, in how it has focused itself to such a extremely narrow band. It's a shame, really.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

There's a TOONAMI ALBUM?!

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

• Options
    Oh. Oh no. Not this episode of Trigun. Oh noooooooooes.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

they have a point and i can kinda see it i'm just too braindead to elaborate so you robutts can argue about it

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Stilts wrote: »
    I think the time has come

some may say it was inevitable

@Dichotomy bro, you are now king of bad opinions

Speed, Dich and I once had a Big O viewing party.

Speed and I were having a blast, but Dich would not stop making fun of it.

god

damn

him

So, Dich is mort from the anime club, then.

Brad!

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

Goatmon on

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular

If it's not Legato's death or the final showdown, they chose poorly. I would also accept Monev the Gale.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    I liked Dragonball more than Dragonball Z.

I said it.

I thought we were friends, then you learn a thing about a person that just changes how you view them forever

• Options
    edited April 2012

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, there are indie comics, outside the Big Two, that do stuff besides capes and tights. But the Big Two still take a lot of the mindshare and cultural perception of American comics, and lately, they've been on a bit of a 'man, weren't the 90's great!?' nostalgia trip. DC more than Marvel. Anywho, that's really a subject for another day, so I'll leave it be.

FCD on
  • Options
    God, I forget sometimes just how depressing Trigun gets.

Like, it starts out like a hilarious goofy action series about a guy who somehow gets out of the worst situations with no one getting serious hurt, except maybe the bad guys.

Then it turns out he's actually a genuine badass who tries to hide it by acting like an idiot.

Then it turns out that he does this because he has the most horrific origin story in all of anime.

• Options

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, there are indie comics, outside the Big Two, that do stuff besides capes and tights. But the Big Two still take a lot of the mindshare and cultural perception of American comics, and lately, they've been on a bit of a 'man, weren't the 90's great!?' nostalgia trip. DC more than Marvel. Anywho, that's really a subject for another day, so I'll leave it be.

that isn't what the New 52 is at all though

• Options

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

actually, it is. liefeld is back. defalco is back. jim lee is the goddamned editor in chief of dc.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Hey, it's the old Space promo.

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

Like, it starts out like a hilarious goofy action series about a guy who somehow gets out of the worst situations with no one getting serious hurt, except maybe the bad guys.

Then it turns out he's actually a genuine badass who tries to hide it by acting like an idiot.

Then it turns out that he does this because he has the most horrific origin story in all of anime.

Was that Trigun movie any good? I remember hearing about it awhile back, but lost track of it.

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    Gatsby wrote: »
    I have never watched evangellion

I am goid with this decision

Yeah I'll admit, retrospectively I liked the series for all the wrong reasons as a teenager.

I just mostly enjoy the animation itself in End of Evangelion at least. And Rebuild, some of that stuff is beautiful.

I

still kind of like End of Evangelion

although I actually think the crazy incomprehensible series ending is better, if you can actually piece together what the fuck is going on

If you know anything about the creator, the progression of the series becomes almost kind of funny.

See, the guy started to have a nervous breakdown partway through making the show.

Then, rather than taking time off, he just worked harder on it, and just started to lose his shit altogether.

The anime then turned into a mirror of his depression.

• Options

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

actually, it is. liefeld is back. defalco is back. jim lee is the goddamned editor in chief of dc.

defalco is pretty alright though?

and tonally no this isn't a nostalgia trip

which is all i really give a wet fart about

there's some visual things (lee's redesigns) but storywise nah

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    GIIIGAAAAAANTOOOOOOOOR

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    trigun has its moments

it's no outlaw star though

anyway it's 4:16 out of nowhere you chumps have a good night

I always put my Toonami Anime like: Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw

I just really like Trigun a lot

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

Was that Trigun movie any good? I remember hearing about it awhile back, but lost track of it.

It's a pretty fun viewing.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

defalco is pretty alright though?

and tonally no this isn't a nostalgia trip

which is all i really give a wet fart about

there's some visual things (lee's redesigns) but storywise nah

defalco hasn't been alright for a while
    and the tone is back

Grifter, who used to be the posterboy for the 90s, got a recent awesome new series
    now liefeld is scripting it

and liefeld is working on hawkman and deathstroke

he can't even get the new costumes right

• Options
    Radius wrote: »
    invader zim was hot garbage

there, said it, not taking it back

hi5 Cilla.

The only hoodie I have right now is an Invader Zim hoodie that my friend gave me. It is always the same kind of person who goes "oh Invader Zim, that show is awesome"

I enjoyed what few episodes I've seen of it.

It didn't wow me, but I didn't think it was bad.

Tak, The Hideous New Girl is a fantastic episode, however.

This discussion has been closed.