Options

Democracy on the [chat]

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    i just watched the social network

wow eduardo severin got screwed

such a good movie!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also I don't know if Netflix did anything (they haven't updated the app at least) but the quality of the stream has improved significantly. Avatar used to be a blocky mess and now it's passable.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Did I just spend an hour making one drawing for Draw Something?

I might have.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Also I don't know if Netflix did anything (they haven't updated the app at least) but the quality of the stream has improved significantly. Avatar used to be a blocky mess and now it's passable.
    Amazon Prime doesn't have quite their selection, but very frequently has the HD versions of the stuff they do have, and even the regular stream seems to be of pretty high quality.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yaaaay both arms attached, now I just have to let it dry and the Spriggan will be finished.

I wonder if it really needed to be so many pieces, oh well, it looks fucking BAD ASS at least.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Hm... and until the next episode of the Daily Show is available, I believe it's time for some Darksiders.

工事中
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    MKV is a pretty shitty container format with horrendous device support. The only thing it really has going for it is that it's open source and has some obscure features that no one actually uses and no players support, like the ability to embed menus.

As someone who uses this.

Goose you

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    You guys, MKV is so good that we need special programs to extract the H.264 stream in real time, then analyze it and stream it out to devices in a more manageable form.

Best format ever.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Amazon Prime doesn't have quite their selection, but very frequently has the HD versions of the stuff they do have, and even the regular stream seems to be of pretty high quality.

I wish they had an iOS app but I guess it's understandable they don't. I am going to renew Prime in May and it should upgrade me from Student so I'll be able to watch that stuff.

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »

I might have.

Screenshot so we can be impressed or ridicule you.

• Options
    I wonder what like, the world record is for eating cinnamon.

• Options

I might have.

It was an epic story of love, loss, and track and field. It will be in Desc's hands now.

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Is there anything like a multiplayer, isometric turn-based RPG?

I would hump the shit out of that.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    You guys, MKV is so good that we need special programs to extract the H.264 stream in real time, then analyze it and stream it out to devices in a more manageable form.

Best format ever.

That's just regular incompatibility. Gonna always happen. I'm not married to MKV but that's what I have to work with if I don't want to transcode into a second format. I'm at least glad I have the option to remux

• Options
    Is there anything like a multiplayer, isometric turn-based RPG?

I would hump the shit out of that.

There was one we used to play as a chat group but the name is escaping me.

• Options

I might have.

It was an epic story of love, loss, and track and field. It will be in Desc's hands now.

Oh you used the trash to create multiple pages?

Nerd

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Hey guys I'm an mpeg whore come quad bang my anus

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options

I might have.

Oh you used the trash to create multiple pages?

Nerd

:D

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Best format ever.

That's just regular incompatibility. Gonna always happen. I'm not married to MKV but that's what I have to work with if I don't want to transcode into a second format. I'm at least glad I have the option to remux

It's not just regular incompatibility. You should see the effort that Plex has to put into streaming MKVs when going file server to PC on computer networks. And playback still will stutter from time to time, even though the mean bitrate of the video is within the network's capability. It's just kind of a crummy format and I've never been particularly happy with it. MP4 by contrast frontloads special metadata so that even if the server is bandwidth limited and knows nothing about the contents of the video, the client can make smart choices about how it loads and plays the file. It was designed by people who knew what the hell they were doing and had practical uses and real devices in mind.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    i should have gotten screwed

by eduardo severin

• Options

Best format ever.

It's not just regular incompatibility. You should see the effort that Plex has to put into streaming MKVs when going file server to PC on computer networks. And playback still will stutter from time to time, even though the mean bitrate of the video is within the network's capability. It's just kind of a crummy format and I've never been particularly happy with it. MP4 by contrast frontloads special metadata so that even if the server is bandwidth limited and knows nothing about the contents of the video, the client can make smart choices about how it loads and plays the file. It was designed by people who knew what the hell they were doing and had practical uses and real devices in mind.

So say I remux the file myself, and take the video and audio out of the MKV container and put it in an MP4. Will that achieve the same thing as fully transcoding it as far as these advantages are concerned? Because remuxxing is a hell of a lot faster than transcoding and I'd do that if there were any gains.

• Options
    i should have gotten screwed

by eduardo severin

You're a poet who'll blow it, Eddy.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Crap. I got hit with the rank negative score bug in BF3. I'm ~5000 points over what I need for the next rank, but it won't progress, and instead shows I need negative points.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

Best format ever.

So say I remux the file myself, and take the video and audio out of the MKV container and put it in an MP4. Will that achieve the same thing as fully transcoding it as far as these advantages are concerned? Because remuxxing is a hell of a lot faster than transcoding and I'd do that if there were any gains.

Well, the plex server / app combo will probably strip it anyway, since they have that whole server thing going. It's easier to design one good streaming server and 12 modular container format parsers than it is to design multiple streaming setups for the formats that stream well.

But sure. If you were to convert the MKVs to MP4s without transcoding and throw those files on an HTTP server or something, they would stream to most iOS and Android devices with no special software at all. Which is how the technology was designed to function.

• Options
    Matt, that's simple. Get so many points so there's an overflow. Like a few billion.

• Options
    Oh shiz, Korra in 1080p for free finished downloading off iTunes. Gonna see how sexy these pixels are.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    @Feral @Elendil

Sorry for dropping, my xbox live crapped out. Good games though.

• Options

Best format ever.

Well, the plex server / app combo will probably strip it anyway, since they have that whole server thing going. It's easier to design one good streaming server and 12 modular container format parsers than it is to design multiple streaming setups for the formats that stream well.

But sure. If you were to convert the MKVs to MP4s without transcoding and throw those files on an HTTP server or something, they would stream to most iOS and Android devices with no special software at all. Which is how the technology was designed to function.

It's just that I picked PLEX in the first place because Air Video doesn't support 1080p yet. If PLEX is already taking care of me I don't need to look for better compatibility, you know?

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    AT&T is telling me the Lumia 900 is on back-order. I hope they're lying.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    gundam470 wrote: »

no, its real - AT&T is seeing massive demand for the phone, and they are short on supply.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Syndalis that is old school.

• Options

Best format ever.

It's just that I picked PLEX in the first place because Air Video doesn't support 1080p yet. If PLEX is already taking care of me I don't need to look for better compatibility, you know?

You don't need to listen to me. I am just ranting about things that I am well aware that no one cares about. You found something that works and maintains maximum quality, which is what you wanted. Nothing else matters.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    just caught a teen nosing around on my porch. he's lucky i didn't trayvon him, what a doofus.

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    gundam470 wrote: »

no, its real - AT&T is seeing massive demand for the phone, and they are short on supply.

:( I want this thing in my hands so bad.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    obviously i will have my iphone with me in japan as a camera

but for my other camera should i bring my 18-200 lens or a different one

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    enhanced-buzz-11934-1333384359-14.jpg

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I wonder what like, the world record is for eating cinnamon.

No, you don't. You don't wonder that at all.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am so tired. My day has ranged from fun discussing China, depressing listening about Human Trafficking to soul crushing listening to my HIV teacher describe one of his patients who died coughing up blood in his arms due to a co-infection of HIV and Hep-C.

How was your day [chat]?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ack where is my extra battery

ackkk

poo
  • Options
    ack where is my extra battery

ackkk

Someone get some chocolate for Cathy.

This discussion has been closed.