Options

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I watched the premiere! and every episode since! I win!

Me too!

We should clap for each other by high fiving.

Me too!

But there arent enough hands :(

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Britta was pretty much the exact same thing for atheist/liberals for a while.

when? the only reaction I recall to anything but shirley's over-religiousness was jeff being taunted for agnosticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ6jV2ZM_Fg

I swear to god that Britta never seemed that sexy to me until that episode.

...I think I need help.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Me too!

Me too!

But there arent enough hands :(

Nope, we can totally do this, its a high five triangle!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    A high pyramid?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    annies-boobs.png
    bouncing.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Thank god that monkey does not realize he is a joke.

• Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    a joke that bounces

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I didn't once think of last week's episode as product placement. You internet people are cynical... oh god, it has me doesn't it? Eat Fresh?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

He's like the William Hung of people.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    I didn't once think of last week's episode as product placement. You internet people are cynical... oh god, it has me doesn't it? Eat Fresh?
    If Subway sponsor regionals, no study group will be safe!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Would Chang's opinion of Subway being in the school be that it's Subgay? He can say it when he pulls his coup on the school.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Britta's raging against the machine is the top moment from this season for me. The way the can doesn't even fall over had me in tears. That was this season right? The hiatus threw me off...

616610-1.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Eat fresh!

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular

Me too!

I've only recently started watching the show. Given it's ratings woes and real need for new viewers, that makes ME more valuable as a viewer than you.

VICTORY!

<high fives self>

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

when? the only reaction I recall to anything but shirley's over-religiousness was jeff being taunted for agnosticism.

The group is constantly making fun of her beliefs, even when they agree with her. Britta's their athiest/liberal strawman. She's already had a few story lines that examine why her ideas are silly, like being a protester.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

He's like the Britta of people.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Chang and Shirley ain't got a lot of depth to them, but they're responsible for my favourite moments;

"Chang the subject"

and

"Don't you think you've had enough?" "Of you." Gasp!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular

The group is constantly making fun of her beliefs, even when they agree with her. Britta's their athiest/liberal strawman. She's already had a few story lines that examine why her ideas are silly, like being a protester.

I think the show makes it clear that, her being a protester isn't silly. It is why she wants to be a protester.

I also think the same applies to Shirley and her intense religious attitude.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Nappuccino wrote: »

I think the show makes it clear that, her being a protester isn't silly. It is why she wants to be a protester.

I also think the same applies to Shirley and her intense religious attitude.

Yes, you explained it better than I did. It's not really their beliefs which are a problem, its that they both can go overboard with it. That's why they make good foils for each other.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular

Same. It's crazy how blatant product placement can be if it's just smarter than usual.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »

Same. It's crazy how blatant product placement can be if it's just smarter than usual.
    I'm trying to buy us some time with these Doublicious sandwiches, but they thought I was doing product integration for KFC.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I think the making fun of Shirley's religion is pretty good natured. Like when Pierce used the kids singing about the public school not teaching them about jesus to goad her into singing. That was fucking hilarious, and not making fun of religion, just using something that matters to her to manipulate her.

I'm an atheist, so I obviously don't have the defense mechanism of a religious person who might get insulted just because they feel they're being disrespectful, but even I get irritated when the "religion is stupid" hand is played so overtly, and I just don't think they do it on this show.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I just love that Shirley's Christianity is true, but also a facade, as she has some serious rage issues that crop up all the time. Angry Shirley is best Shirley, but it's the best because of the fake face she puts up all the time.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    What if Britta is a product placement? Think about it, Britta's whole marketing strategy is about environmentalism...

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    "unfiltered"

I get it!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Does Subway own stock in NBC? They had some awful product placement in Chuck, including one scene where Big Mike basically gives a full commercial for the Sweet Chicken Teriyaki.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Does Subway own stock in NBC? They had some awful product placement in Chuck, including one scene where Big Mike basically gives a full commercial for the Sweet Chicken Teriyaki.

Chuck was, again, a special case. As the Subway campaign was a direct reason the show was renewed and they massively upped their sponsorship in response. And the Chuck writers were nothing if not whores.

• Options
    Do people really care about the jokey product placement of having subway in the show? I mean, they had a human being change his name to subway to become a human embodiment of the company. That shit is just funny. If they had named it sandwichland or whatever to avoid having a real product, it would've been less funny to me, because I wouldn't be able to relate to it as well. /shrug

I'm not going to buy or not buy a subway sandwich based on seeing it on tv, so i'm not going to care, unless they just spent like 5 minutes talking about how good subway is to the detriment of the show, which was clearly not the case.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Do people really care about the jokey product placement of having subway in the show? I mean, they had a human being change his name to subway to become a human embodiment of the company. That shit is just funny. If they had named it sandwichland or whatever to avoid having a real product, it would've been less funny to me, because I wouldn't be able to relate to it as well. /shrug

I'm not going to buy or not buy a subway sandwich based on seeing it on tv, so i'm not going to care, unless they just spent like 5 minutes talking about how good subway is to the detriment of the show, which was clearly not the case.

No one has claimed to have a problem with it, so I don't know who you think you're addressing there.

• Options
    I'm not addressing anybody in the thread, which is why I asked if anybody actually cared about it. I've seen it come up multiple times, implying that somebody out there is upset about it.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    My general rule is that unobtrusive/reasonable product placement (everybody uses Apple computers, or a character uses a brand because it fits the character), product placement that makes fun of product placement (Subway, countless examples in 30 Rock) = good.

Product placement that serves no story purpose/unreasonable/ubiquitous product placement (basing a weak joke around pointing out a brand/product, those CG'd TV screens in some shows that play ads/current movie trailers in the background) = bad.

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm just saying I feel better buying Subway ever since some high up PR/exec/whoever ok'd something funny but POSSIBLY DAMAGING TO OUR BRAND AND VERY LIVELIHOOD.

If I'm convinced your company is just a bunch of regular people with a sense of humour you can just shut up and take my money.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    See, I think the product placement that considers itself too good for product placement is more obnoxious than the pure whoredom. This was somewhere in between.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    I'm just saying I feel like better buying Subway ever since some high up PR/exec/whoever ok'd something funny but POSSIBLY DAMAGING TO OUR BRAND AND VERY LIVELIHOOD.

If I'm convinced your company is just a bunch of regular people with a sense of humour you can just shut up and take my money.

I agree. Eat Fresh, bro!

• Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    I think Subway handing out cash to keep my favorite shows on the air is something I'm perfectly fine with.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Try looking at the comic book shop in BBT next time. I dare you to find a product not from DC in there. Since the show is produced by Warner Brothers, I am okay with that

End BBT tangent.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    What if Britta is a product placement? Think about it, Britta's whole marketing strategy is about environmentalism...

"All you need to know is her name, I mean Britta? What is she a water filter? She's ugly!"

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

All I know is since I started watching Community, I get the weirdest boners around my water pitcher.

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Britta is adorable and I love her. At this point I think I like her more than Annie, which is surprising to me at least.

Don't worry, we've all been there. It's just part of growing up. Starting to prefer Britta is the nocturnal emissions of television.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Britta is adorable and I love her. At this point I think I like her more than Annie, which is surprising to me at least.

Don't worry, we've all been there. It's just part of growing up. Starting to prefer Britta is the nocturnal emissions of television.

Looo. I don't love her like that. I'm not a lesbian and she is not on the short list of those I would "cross the street" for (mmmm, Gina Torres). I think she's adorable in a completely platonic, sisterly way. Annie is also adorable, but Britta is cuter.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind