As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Blake: good ideas, and no, no theme, just can't do leavened breads

Fyndir: those both sound really great! also I should just say ladyfriend doesn't eat tomatoes in any form either

if you guys can suggest or link me directly to some recipes I'd appreciate, I kind of suck at just throwing stuff together

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that I've ever done my macaroni cheese from a recipe, my dad taught me how to make it.

Let's see.

Step 1 is the roux, for which you'll want equal amounts of flour and butter (about 100g each), soften the butter in a large-ish pot on a low heat and add the flour, whisking as you go to eliminate any lumps, once it's all come together into something resembling a paste you then want about a pint of milk (I always used semi-skimmed), which you should add gradually (call it 4-6 pourings total), whisking continuously. Let this mixture come just to the boil, and add your cheeses, which you should grate ahead of time, or have someone grate for you while you're doing the other bit.

I think you'll want about 600-1000g of cheese total, split between whatever cheeses you like.

I would probably do mature cheddar 300-500g, mozzarella 200-300g, and gruyere 100-200g, but obviously play with that depending on taste etc.

Stir the grated cheeses into the roux, let them melt completely, pour over pasta, and serve.
    If anyone has a better recipe that they're not trying to make up from memory please post it.

The vegetable bake...I have no clue, I literally did it once and was just throwing together whatever vegetables I happened to have on hand, and don't actually remember what I did. Sorry.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm going to throw this out there.

Baking macaroni cheese should be a capital offence.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You could make a matzo ball soup with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Added bonus of matzo balls being awesome.

Orrr tzimmes? This was the first recipe I found with a quick search but you know there are like a million others.

I mean I think if you just have an acceptable number of vegetarian sides you'll be fine. Like, charoset is vegetarian, and so is tzimmes, and the bitter herb is vegetarian (at least at my friend's seder, they always served an arugula or spinach salad along with some parsley and salt water), and at least my friend's grandma's kugel is vegetarian... You could make egg-free latkes?

E: I was forgetting that there are eggs in kugel but I bet you could make a version without.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    NumerosNumeros Goodness GraciousRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »

This is the wrongest thing I've ever read in all of my days.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    ...Okay the truth is I just really want kugel now so I won't shut up about it

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Numeros wrote: »

This is the wrongest thing I've ever read in all of my days.

Don't worry.

It's fyndir.

• Options
    Man, now I have found a kosher vegetarian food blog out of Tel Aviv and I want to eat literally all of these things

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Like seriously. Baking is the only way to get the crusty top, with the breadcrumb-y parmrsan goodness.

Why would you not want that?

• Options
    Fyndir throws the skin away on chicken.

We usually just let him talk and then giggle afterwards.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Numeros wrote: »
    Like seriously. Baking is the only way to get the crusty top, with the breadcrumb-y parmrsan goodness.

Why would you not want that?

Why would you want that?

Why would you want to take a delicate, creamy dish and ruin it?

I mean, if you want to do a cheesy vegetable tray bake or casserole that's one thing, throw a bunch of mushrooms, red onion, mustard, etc in with a basic cheese sauce, that's one thing, but don't pretend you're making macaroni cheese.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    You guys you are tearing this family apart

Now let's all admire this recipe for beets

or this lentil salad

Aghh why are so many of these ingredients so unpopular here

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    If you want a delicate, creamy dish, then make risotto.

If you want mac 'n' cheese, then make mac 'n' cheese. Kraft Easy Mac is creamy too, but that doesn't make it good.

• Options
    Sandra how can you not get stuff for that for the beets recipe.

• Options
    I'm gonna guess sand.

Because it's so sandy, you see.

• Options
    Fyndir.

Name a dish with texture that you enjoy.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Fyndir.

I just did.

That's what we were discussing, anyway?

I enjoy the texture of good macaroni cheese.

• Options
    That is not what I am talking about.

Texture is about contrast.

• Options
    Sandra how can you not get stuff for that for the beets recipe.

You can, actually, just not easily. The only thing in that recipe that's difficult to find are beets. Beets are not a part of the Korean diet, so they only show up at random at weiiiiird places, and then are oddly expensive and/or the size of large grapefruits. The size thing isn't really an issue but the scarcity is, because I love the shit out of beets. (I almost always buy all of them when I find them and pickle the lot so I can have them forever.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Texture can be about contrast, but doesn't have to be.

Contrasting textures can work and be interesting, but they are not a requirement of every dish under the sun.

• Options
    I grew up on tinned beetroot.

I subsequently grew up not eating beetroot.

Nowadays I like them on occasion. But I still don't eat tinned ones.

• Options
    Yeah canned beets are basically the most awful thing.

Canned asparagus might be worse, maybe.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah.

I don't think you really get traditional opinions on texture contrast.

• Options
    Yeah, it's just

Totally weird

the way people can have different opinions and tastes.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Options
    Guys, I think we should hug it out.

• Options
    Nope.

He might not like the feel of my changing textured skin.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I have watched a lot of Chopped over the past couple of days

The judges are always on about different textures and flavors

If a dish only has one texture, they get really peeved

Or if it's spicy, they'll be all "why didn't you add in something sweet to balance it out"

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I love contrasting textures, but I know @Sheri doesn't really. I guess it has to do with what you're expecting? If you're expecting smooth and creamy and get something crunchy in there, I guess I can see how it might be off-putting. I disagree, but thems the breaks

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

How is it possible for someone to be so utterly and completely wrong?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Although the few people I've seen who really don't like mac and cheese casserole style have also admitted to being slaves of the blue box.

• Options
    Fyndir.

I just did.

That's what we were discussing, anyway?

I enjoy the texture of good macaroni cheese.

No, you demonstrably don't because you don't like it baked.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    I guess it's still considered a 'taste' for someone to enjoy their food bland?

I don't mean that derisively, either. Fyndir just really seems to enjoy his food as, simple? As possible. At least his preferences seem to follow a consistent rationale.

• Options
    I usually make stovetop mac and cheese because of time constraints, but I still make it with real cheese

Box stuff is... Not ideal

And it's not that hard to mimic the ease of boxed while still using fresher ingredients

Like my hamburger helper takes maybe 15 minutes start to finish but tastes a ton better than the box stuff

• Options
    Yeah, I mean that's fine. It's just funny that he tends to lead with telling us how things should be made and then almost everyone else disagrees with him and somehow we're being mean about it instead of just correcting him on how almost the entire civilized world prefers things.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    how do you make mac and cheese if you don't bake it

• Options
    Kraft

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    how do you make mac and cheese if you don't bake it

Similar to how you'd make an Alfredo sauce

• Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    Eating Mac and Cheese without a crispy crust of toasted cheese and breadcrumbs is like eating an apple pie filling. Sure, it tastes good, but without the crust, it's incomplete.

• Options
    Yeah I'm not even bashing stove top mac and cheese, but doing it baked is always much tastier, it just takes a pretty long time

This discussion has been closed.