Options

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Didn't they change the way eclipse works?

The Eclipse mechanic itself didn't change. The way spells interact with Eclipse did change though, where Sunfire stays Sunfire until hitting Lunar, Hurricane turns into Arcane Storm when you hit Lunar, Starfall's cooldown is ended when you hit Lunar, and Moonfire/Sunfire is automatically refreshed by Starfire/Wrath/Starsurge when in Lunar/Solar Eclipses respectively. With the removal of Insect Swarm, the rotation is braindead simple now, the only tough part is when to use the new spell that sets your eclipse energy to 0 but acts like you're in both eclipses at the same time and based on the fight that won't be an issue at all (as in use it as soon as you get out of your first Lunar Eclipse).

Also Nobody, why would a Ret Pally ever be moving to crystals unless your raid just doesn't have enough ranged dps?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Also Nobody, why would a Ret Pally ever be moving to crystals unless your raid just doesn't have enough ranged dps?

Bingo. we tend to be a bit melee heavy. Makes H Blackhorn exciting in ways you can't even imagine.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I wish they had just made it so that there wasn't that intermediary stage where you aren't in lunar or solar; just leave you in the one you're in until you've pushed all the way back and activated the other.

Also if they made eclipse state change when you cast the spell, rather than when it deals damage.

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, they did that last part, where you gain points on cast rather than on contact.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So, friend of mine sent me a Scroll of Resurrection, two questions regarding that. If I don't subscribe, does my account still keep the Cataclysm upgrade after the 7 days ends? The wording says "The Scroll’s recipient immediately receives a free digital upgrade to World of Warcraft: Cataclysm", so that seems to imply that I don't have to actually pay anything to keep it, it only mentions paying for 30 days for my friend to receive the exclusive mount.

Other question is, I downloaded the client, but it keeps timing out when trying to download the latest patcher. Is there a fix or workaround for that?

(She/Her)
  • Options
    BolognaOniBolognaOni Registered User regular
    You get the free cata upgrade whether you re-sub or not. Can't help you with the downloader issue.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I love how my Ghoul just randomly despawns on Madness (usually on the 4th platform and sometimes when heading back to the final platform).

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    My ghoul will despawn on Yor, Higara and Madness.

Really annoying.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nobody wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Samphis wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Samphis wrote: »
    Finally, after two years, I have finished Thunderfury; Garr finally gave up his binding. This is after seeing 3 eyes, and NINE bindings from the other dude.

I started farming that towards the beginning of Cataclysm. Was surprised at how quickly I finished it. I think they upped the drop rate of the bindings
    On another note, anybody on this forum do H Spine yet? Any suggestions if you have? We're going to be starting on it tonight (25 man).

Bring lube.

Spec burst dps, sustained doesn't matter. You want most dmg squeezed in 18 seconds every 2 min. Make sure your dispellers are on the ball. Make sure people aren't wasting healer mana by standing in stupid. Make sure you have ranged that know instantly to break people out of grip without overdamaging the big tentacles. Have your melee forge out of expertese (tendons don't dodge or parry). At least one of your tanks needs to know how to kite 50+ mobs (bloods) without getting hit by them and without killing them, and keep adding new ones to that conga line as they spawn. Your dps have to have the.discipline to not do dmg that is not needed and burst when it is. Meter whores need not apply, it's all about controlled dps.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Hspine is still a tremendous pain in the ass; I dunno if we'll ever finish it (10m) unless they nerf DS to 20 or 25 percent, and we have a pretty ideal raid comp for it (rogue/mage/enh shaman dps, two warrior tanks)

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular

Really annoying.

I think it has to do with the ghoul staying on a target when you move, then when it tries to attack your new target, it's too far away and despawns. Something like that. The thread for Unholy DKs on MMO Champ talks about it and has some macro-based solutions.

Also, I noticed my ghoul taking a lot of lightning damage on Hagara. So that's a possibility on that fight.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Really annoying.

I think it has to do with the ghoul staying on a target when you move, then when it tries to attack your new target, it's too far away and despawns. Something like that. The thread for Unholy DKs on MMO Champ talks about it and has some macro-based solutions.

Also, I noticed my ghoul taking a lot of lightning damage on Hagara. So that's a possibility on that fight.

pets get absolutely brutalized by the lightning phase

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Spine really is a pain in the ass. We are very close to killing it and could probably get away with two healing it but we sometimes have some issues with the amalgamations being too high on health and getting 3 pulses or more off before they die. If we could fix that we could burst the last tendon down in one phase with hero. Instead we get two phases and have some problems with the shittons of bloods.

Last raid we had a tank and 3 healers pointing out that aoe'ing the shit out of god knows how many bloods near the end is a really terrible idea with no cooldowns. There's no way to break a fresh 300k debuff in time to save someone who's taking really high aoe damage from bloods dieing and is probably tanking adds from over aggroing. The plan was to kill a few but my suggestion of single targetting a few down was lost over the sound of AOE AOE AOE AOE dead raid. We've fixed that so we'll get it this week.

As annoying as I find it to heal (last phase really), I feel bad for the bloods tank. Tanking that would give me nightmares and RSI. Picking up the blood, trying to hold aggro on them until the kiting starts then kiting them all over the place is pain. What a horrible fight for a tank.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Secrets to Spine:
    -Have your tank park their ass on the plate. Damage spikes from 50 bloods hitting them is far far easier to handle than damage spikes from a turned back or a tank that kites out of range, or a tank that doesn't pick up all the bloods because they're all the way across the back so the bloods are beating on a healer. Kiting was necessary when world first guilds were way undergeared and there was no 15% nerf, it's really not anymore.
    -Make sure your other tank starts to help pick them up after the first lift of the 3rd plate.
    -The only time you should be AOEing bloods is right before you roll, so you can drag the 3 amalgs through them to permanently remove them from the fight when the amalgs are rolled off.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    So, now that the monk premades are up I tooled around a little on the beta with one (though I wish premades got a customization upon logging in, ah well).

I decided to try the DPS spec, which feels alright I suppose. It's sort of like being a rogue... only with the combo points on themselves instead of the target, like rogues always wanted!

Also, their execute, Blackout Kick, can hit just ridiculously hard... I've had it hit anywhere between 60k and 80k. I kept swapping between an agility staff and a couple of the agility one handers, but didn't really see any difference. Elitist jerks is saying that their attacks don't scale off of weapon DPS at all, they're purely off of AP.

I didn't even test a lot of their random abilities because they're not really necessary while questing, but I should...

On the subject of the premades however, god dammit Blizzard; they gave us a number of Therazane shoulder rep enchants and Avengers of Hyjal trinkets for all specs... and no rep with those factions so we can't use them. They also gave us Enchanting and Jewelcrafting, but then didn't give us things like, the rest of the Metagem cuts (Agile in particular), or the primary stat wrist enchants and such.

One of the first quests you get is a kill quest and there are a *ton* of people around with all the invites that have gone out recently, as evidenced by the server being full and having a login queue. But the mobs for this particular quest aren't spawn scaling to how fast they're being killed, so the quest is almost impossible to do right now.

Fun stuff.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    What gets me is the ridiculous lack of foresight the quest designers seem to have at times. Take the 'snatch the flame' quest from the early Panda starting area for example. You need to take an item from the questgiver (simple) and then set a quest doodad on fire (damned near impossible if more than 10 people want to do it at one time, which is pretty much always going to be the case from now until, oh, the third month post-release). Why even design something like that when they designed a MUCH better solution for that shit many expansions ago: have a clickable item in your inventory that you can /use to set the quest object on fire. Simple. Done. No need to putz around with idiots who just crowd around the quest item and grief.

I could understand this in TOR or some other upstart MMO but jesus christ, Blizzard's been at this for eight goddamned years now. It's not like this wasn't a foreseeable situation.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    So, now that the monk premades are up I tooled around a little on the beta with one (though I wish premades got a customization upon logging in, ah well).

I decided to try the DPS spec, which feels alright I suppose. It's sort of like being a rogue... only with the combo points on themselves instead of the target, like rogues always wanted!

Also, their execute, Blackout Kick, can hit just ridiculously hard... I've had it hit anywhere between 60k and 80k. I kept swapping between an agility staff and a couple of the agility one handers, but didn't really see any difference. Elitist jerks is saying that their attacks don't scale off of weapon DPS at all, they're purely off of AP.

I didn't even test a lot of their random abilities because they're not really necessary while questing, but I should...

On the subject of the premades however, god dammit Blizzard; they gave us a number of Therazane shoulder rep enchants and Avengers of Hyjal trinkets for all specs... and no rep with those factions so we can't use them. They also gave us Enchanting and Jewelcrafting, but then didn't give us things like, the rest of the Metagem cuts (Agile in particular), or the primary stat wrist enchants and such.

One of the first quests you get is a kill quest and there are a *ton* of people around with all the invites that have gone out recently, as evidenced by the server being full and having a login queue. But the mobs for this particular quest aren't spawn scaling to how fast they're being killed, so the quest is almost impossible to do right now.

Fun stuff.

So it's an extension of them making the Therazane shoulder enchants BoA, but requiring exalted rep to use. I don't know how they broke that after Wrath, and I don't know how they haven't fixed it yet.

And I recall the mob respawning in Hyjal at release. That sucked to kill a mob and have a new one immediately spawn and aggro you. Of the 2 options, I think I'd prefer to wait for a respawn.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If the area was normally full of these mobs, I might agree with you, but it's not. They're rare even when the area is empty of players. It just doesn't work.

Edit: Also, just finished LFR with my DK for this week, TWO Souldrinkers dropped... and I even won one of them, despite having 7 DKs, 3 Warriors and a few Paladins in the raid or some stupid shit. Didn't have a chance on tokens though of course.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice on Spine guys, I'll pass it along.

Halfmex wrote: »
    What gets me is the ridiculous lack of foresight the quest designers seem to have at times. Take the 'snatch the flame' quest from the early Panda starting area for example. You need to take an item from the questgiver (simple) and then set a quest doodad on fire (damned near impossible if more than 10 people want to do it at one time, which is pretty much always going to be the case from now until, oh, the third month post-release). Why even design something like that when they designed a MUCH better solution for that shit many expansions ago: have a clickable item in your inventory that you can /use to set the quest object on fire. Simple. Done. No need to putz around with idiots who just crowd around the quest item and grief.

I could understand this in TOR or some other upstart MMO but jesus christ, Blizzard's been at this for eight goddamned years now. It's not like this wasn't a foreseeable situation.

Protip: Turn off friendly names in the nameplate section of the interface menu, start clicking at the area right above everybody's head. I think I ticked off a few people when I showed up, clicked, and moved on when I'm sure there were several sitting there for hours >.>

Of course, they were all spamming some stupid line in /say and /chat that was "supposed" to help them get through it.

Anyway, got my beta monk to 10 and went Brewmaster. One thing that I noticed immediately that worries me is that they have exactly one personal cooldown that also makes them unhealable during it.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2724-Mists-of-Pandaria-Beta-Beta-Patch-Build-15544
    Rogue
    Baseline
    Crimson Tempest Finishing move consumes combo points on any nearby target to slash at the flesh of all enemies within 8 yards, dealing Physical damage and causing victims to bleed and suffer an additional 30% of the initial damage over 12 sec: 1 point : [445 + 2.5 + 2.8% of AP + 148 + 2.5 + 1.4% of AP] damage 2 points: [445 + 5 + 5.6% of AP + 148 + 5 + 4.2% of AP] damage 3 points: [445 + 7.5 + 16.5% of AP + 148 + 7.5 + 7% of AP] damage 4 points: [445 + 10 + 22% of AP + 148 + 10 + 22% of AP] damage 5 points: [445 + 12.5 + 27.5% of AP + 148 + 12.5 + 27.5% of AP] damage 5 yd range, 35 Energy, Instant
    Fan of Knives now generates 1 combo point if it strikes your current combo target.
    Shadow Blades *New* Draw upon the surrounding shadows to empower your weapons, causing your auto-attacks to deal pure Shadow damage and your combo-point-generating abilties to generate an additional combo point when used. Lasts 12 sec. 3 min cooldown, Instant
    Throw *New* Hurl a dagger at an enemy target. 30 yd range, 0.5 sec cast

Glyphs
    Inscription: Glyph of Backstab changed - When you Vanish, you leave behind a brief illusion that very closely resembles you.
    Inscription: Glyph of Revealing Strike replaced with Glyph of Detection - Focus intently on trying to detect something.
    Inscription: Glyph of Mutilate replaced - When you Pick Pocket a humanoid enemy, you also copy their appearance until cancelled.

<3

(I assume the glyph names are just wrong, but I love the effects)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It seems I must bind Pick Pocket now!

Monsty on
  • Options
    Omg, finally some new rogue stuff after 4 years

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Holy god those rogue changes. I'm harder than advanced calculus.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Omg, finally some new rogue stuff after 4 years

No shit. Aside from Fan of Knives, 99% of the stuff we were getting were either reworkings of stuff we already had (Envenom = Eviscerate, etc) or support abilities (how many variations on Evasion do we really need?). Been forever since we got honest-to-god new attack abilities.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Really annoying.

This only applies to Yor. I just tell my pet to attack the slime once I target it as I'm running over to it to solve that problem.

Like others have said, Hagara's issue is that pets take tons of damage from the lightning. I have to put mine on passive to get it near me and then death coil it a couple times while running around ot keep it up.

Madness is another issue entirely. When we're going from the far left platform to the far right, there's nothing else for the ghoul to attack. Also, I'll notice that it often doesn't seem to despawn until quite a few seconds into the fight on that platform. That also wouldn't explain why it despawns when jumping from the fourth platform to the Deathwing one, because that's not very far away.

• Options
    Wait, what are the pets dying from during the Lightning phase? Are they dying to the lightning chain or just the general aoe?

If its the chain we have our pet class folks just put the pet on passive and use that "move to an area" option on the pet bar to cluster them ontop of Hagara.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    So that I can prep for the MISTS expansion, are WOW server accounts going to be expanded to 11 slots, or do I need to transfer some toons around to make room for my big fat drunk Pandas ?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is it me or do those latest patch notes do a lot of undoing of the lowered weapon damage stuff on abilities?

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    So that I can prep for the MISTS expansion, are WOW server accounts going to be expanded to 11 slots, or do I need to transfer some toons around to make room for my big fat drunk Pandas ?

The current plan is that they are adding an 11th character slot per server, but keeping the 50 character maximum.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Wait, what are the pets dying from during the Lightning phase? Are they dying to the lightning chain or just the general aoe?

If its the chain we have our pet class folks just put the pet on passive and use that "move to an area" option on the pet bar to cluster them ontop of Hagara.
    I seem to lose my pet more readily if I just leave it on Hagara. I don't know what's killing it or if it's despawning or what. I have better luck keeping it alive by putting it on passive so it follows me and just coiling it through the chain damage.

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Is it me or do those latest patch notes do a lot of undoing of the lowered weapon damage stuff on abilities?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe insane weapon DPS was weirder than they thought it would be.

• Options
    So there appear to be 5 gemstone panther mounts. One of them is confirmed made from jewelcrafting (well, beta-confirmed). Looks like my DK will be my second 90. :P

• Options
    I'm at PAXEast mass effect line, and I was wandering if anyone wants to meet up and hang out after the panel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    oh my god those rogue changes are amazing. Fan of Knives generates CP! An aoe finisher move! hnnnngh

Warlock "Tanking" has been neutered again.
    Nether Plating now increases Armor Contribution from items by 250% in Demon Form, down from 400%. The duration of stun and snare effects is reduced by 35%, up from 20%.
    Inscription: Glyph of Metamorphosis now grants the ability Dark Apotheosis (old - Threatening Presence) and now reduces damage taken by 2%, down from 5%.

Monks are getting some neat stuff, particularly Brewmaster.
    Blackout Kick now costs 1 Chi, down from 2 Chi. No longer refunds Chi if the target is killed. Can now be used regardless of the target's health, but the target suffers an additional 1328 damage over 8 sec if it's below 50% health.

Brewmaster Training now makes your Tiger Palm no longer costs Chi, and when you deal damage with Tiger Palm the amount of your next Guard is increased by 5%. Lasts 30 sec. Stacks up to 3 times.
    Dizzying Haze now costs 10 Energy, down from 40.
    Keg Smash *New* You swing a keg of brew, dealing 1666 damage to the target and two nearby enemies and causing their next attack to Missfire within 8 sec, dealing 821 damage to themselves instead of you. 5 yd range, 1 Chi, 8 sec cooldown, Instant
    So I guess Brewmasters use Tiger Palm in place of Jab now? It doesn't cost energy, or Chi now, so what do they spend energy on? Nevermind, I forgot that Tiger Palm doesn't generate Chi, so Jab would still be a thing Brewmasters would want to use.
    The Dizzying Haze change is great, 40 energy for an ability that did no damage and generated no Chi was way too much.

They're removing reagents from spells too. How long overdue is that?

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    So what GCD do Brewmasters have right now? 1 or 1.5?

• Options
    I wish I could edit posts.
    Dibby wrote: »
    Fucking finally. I don't know why they didn't just do it all at once when they removed many (but not all) of them for Cata.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Fucking finally. I don't know why they didn't just do it all at once when they removed many (but not all) of them for Cata.

The patch notes at MMOChampion only mention removing the reagents from Reincarnation and Levitate, so far.

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular

I believe I heard it was 1. For their DPS spec at least I'm pretty sure there is no way in fucking hell the shiny new class would have a 1.5 GCD.
    Lars wrote: »

The patch notes at MMOChampion only mention removing the reagents from Reincarnation and Levitate, so far.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they did that for almost all other skills with equally annoying reagents. With the glyph redesign it seems like it would be majorly awkward if 1 to 2 of your minor glyph slots remain devoted to not having to carry around ankhs and feathers anymore. The minors are supposed to be neat cosmetic flavor stuff - reagent glyphs don't seem to fit into that.

• Options

I believe I heard it was 1. For their DPS spec at least I'm pretty sure there is no way in fucking hell the shiny new class would have a 1.5 GCD.
    For the DPS spec it is, yes. I'm wondering about the tank spec, though. Are they actually going to try having one tank play with a 1 second GCD while the others clunk around with 1.5 or are they going to keep things "even"?
    Lars wrote: »

I really wouldn't be surprised if they did that for almost all other skills with equally annoying reagents. With the glyph redesign it seems like it would be majorly awkward if 1 to 2 of your minor glyph slots remain devoted to not having to carry around ankhs and feathers anymore. The minors are supposed to be neat cosmetic flavor stuff - reagent glyphs don't seem to fit into that.
    [/quote]

This discussion has been closed.