Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    My monks love their shiny heal beams.

They heal by burning.

• Options
    SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    Question: I finished all the bonus missions in Nightfall that I could on one character. If I go back with a different character and do the alternate missions for the bonuses, will it consider that as one "fully completed" run and award me the HoM point or do I have to do it all on one character?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    You have to do it all on one character.

26904.png
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    My standard six-person team uses a Panic Mesmer, Ineptitude Mesmer, SoS/Resto Ritualist, Minion Bombing Necromancer, and BiP/Resto Necromancer, along with myself as SF Elementalist, giving the team two semi-healers, one semi-protter, four offensive spirits, and two interrupters. For a four-person area I strip out the Ineptitude and BiP.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Superdupe wrote: »
    Question: I finished all the bonus missions in Nightfall that I could on one character. If I go back with a different character and do the alternate missions for the bonuses, will it consider that as one "fully completed" run and award me the HoM point or do I have to do it all on one character?

Just fyi. I believe you are questioning the alternate missions from the points where you made decisions. If so, they open up after you finish the campaign. So you don't need another char to get them. I was wondering the same thing for a long time.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah those are the missions I'm missing, but I'd much rather do those on my mesmer than my dervish. Oh well. At least now I have the appropriate hero builds that it should be pretty easy.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    n2lognn2logn Registered User regular
    Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on upgrading my armor (and hero's armor)?
    For example, when a build says: Equipment Full Survivor 40/40 Smiting Magic set or defensive set what does that actually mean? Also, are the +1/2/3's in the builds for runes you attach to armor? Does it matter what armor piece it gets used on?

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    n2logn wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial on upgrading my armor (and hero's armor)?
    For example, when a build says: Equipment Full Survivor 40/40 Smiting Magic set or defensive set what does that actually mean? Also, are the +1/2/3's in the builds for runes you attach to armor? Does it matter what armor piece it gets used on?

survivor is insignias, it's an armor mod that gives hp. each piece of armor can hold an insignia and a rune
    40/40 means you have 20% chance of reduced casting time and 20% chance of reduced recharge time on both a scepter and a focus, each

not sure what "defensive set" means

+1/2/3 is runes yeah, doesn't matter where you put them (except for heroes, where it makes sense to put the first rune on their hat)

• Options
    Yeah, 'defensive set' gets thrown around a lot without much explanation. I'm figuring a shield/weapon combo that maximises +health.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    For casters, a defensive set usually means either +armor or +60hp. Alternatively, a defensive set can include a spear with +5 energy (which is better than scepters/wands with +5 conditional energy) and a shield for a minimum of +8 armor. I personally don't use a 40/40 set (energy can't handle the increased speed and recharge), so instead I run with a +5e/+30hp spear and a -2damage/enchanted shield with +30hp (I have 9 Command so I get the full armor rating).

Generally speaking, increased armor is preferable to increased health, where possible. A Blessed insignia will let you take more hits than a Survivor's, for instance. That said, certain classes will want different things (an Ether Renewal protter will want as much HP as possible to maximize their Infuse Health).

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The wiki is a fantastic resource for everything GW related. Here's the entry for 40/40: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/40/40 And defensive set: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Shield_set Of special note is the 2 crafters that can make full 40/40 sets, in Vasburg Armory and the Leviathan Pits.

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Incredibly stupid question:

With the whole Ray of Judgement conversation before, how exactly *do* you get it for a hero? Will it give you the option when you use a Capture Signet? Or do you get it from one of the NPC's that sells hero skills?

Or do you have to get a hero a Capture Signet skill somehow?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    When you capture a skill for any one of your characters, it is unlocked for use by ALL of your heroes across ALL characters. It's NOT however unlocked for all of your characters.

26904.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Stupid wrote: »
    When you capture a skill for any one of your characters, it is unlocked for use by ALL of your heroes across ALL characters. It's NOT however unlocked for all of your characters.

Oh, so somehow I'd have to become a monk to get it.

Okay, that makes sense. Did some reading up on profession changers, the Factions one seems to be on the other side of the city that I havn't even been to yet.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »

It becomes unlocked for all characters, but not known. You can make an unlocked skill be known with a skill tome.

• Options
    OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    Is the 7 hero support build sufficient for getting the Black Widow spider in the Underworld? Assuming I touch up my own skill build before heading in?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Ormuss wrote: »
    Is the 7 hero support build sufficient for getting the Black Widow spider in the Underworld? Assuming I touch up my own skill build before heading in?

yup

don't forget Charm Animal!

unintentional on
  • Options

yup

don't forget Charm Animal!

If I ever get off work, I know what I'm doing tonight!

• Options
    I kind of wanna do some quest runs of the missions that give HoM worthy titles. Are we man enough to do some of them?

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I kind of wanna do some quest runs of the missions that give HoM worthy titles. Are we man enough to do some of them?

i'm down to do this starting next week, but this is FINALS SEASON, yo

• Options
    Yeah, exams and stuff. Next week though!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    bah. . . in WiK(Defend LA) the wave with the perfect armor just wipes right the hell through me. I need to re-think this. I just tried it 4 times. That's enough for tonight.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    *swears a bunch*

So I'm attempting the one Factions mission... crap, forget what it's called, but it's the one where you have to defeat the Celestial spirit animal things. Fail three times, fourth attempt is going much better. Get three of the bosses, head for the fourth... and one of the trash mobs decides to run off and come back with another two packs. D:

Fuck. You. Trash.

At least I picked up a elite Air skill for Vekk off one of the bosses.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    You know, it occurred to me tonight that the purple (uncommon) minipets are no better than commons in HoM terms. Maybe I'm better off selling the couple I have in order to turn that cash into a greater number of commons + the rare I need?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    You know, it occurred to me tonight that the purple (uncommon) minipets are no better than commons in HoM terms. Maybe I'm better off selling the couple I have in order to turn that cash into a greater number of commons + the rare I need?

You'd think so, but other people have come to the same conclusion, so purples don't sell for that much more than whites, unless they're a popular mini (Candysmith Marley comes to mind).
    Entaru wrote: »
    bah. . . in WiK(Defend LA) the wave with the perfect armor just wipes right the hell through me. I need to re-think this. I just tried it 4 times. That's enough for tonight.

You might want to go with two minion masters (not bombers, you want the cannon fodder alive as much as possible). There's more than enough corpses to support two (have one be Aura of the Lich and the other use something else). I'd also bring along two spirit spammers if possible, and round your team out with an interrupt Mesmer.

My idea for it is to have an AotL Necromancer with Aegis/Prot Spirit, an SoS/Resto Ritualist, an SoGM/minion Ritualist with Explosive Growth/Spirit's Gift/Boon of Creation, a Panic Mesmer, and an Ineptitude Mesmer (my dual Mesmer midline runs identical Dom/Ill builds, with the only difference being the elite skill of choice). You'll have one redbar healer, one protter, two minion masters, two spirit spammers, and two interrupters crammed into 5 hero slots.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Various bits and pieces:

Defensive set is, as Darklyre pointed out, a weapon + shield with hp or armour stats. However, unless you can get a 16/8 shield (16 armor requiring 8 of its attribute, usually Command or Tactics), it's often better to get 9-15/x, where x can be much lower indeed. PvP characters can't make these shields, but RP characters can find them, and since you only get 8 armour from a shield whose requirement you don't meet, lower armour shields are actually better for many characters. Defensive sets are generally just for PvP; you don't get focused that much in PvE.

WiK last mission is very easily done with one MM and an SoS rit. The trick use every bit of downtime between waves to flag your SoS hero out in front of the defender NPCs (but not outside their range), drop as many spirits as possible and then deflag. The point of a midline build is that enemies target 'worthless' midline spirits and minions first, while your party (and in this case the LA defenders) kill the enemies. You should also be only taking two healers at most, as you want 6dps so that you can burn through the Jade Armor bosses while you still have your buffs. Also, the first set of steps are the best choke point, as there are several Shining Blade rangers who self-res between waves on the bluffs and can keep shooting down on the enemies. Stick your spirits down near the barricades and let the archers and your aoe do the rest.

@PMAvers, the best way to get skills for heroes is to go to the Great Temple of Balthazar and then into the Isle of the Nameless. Look for The Guide who has a quest to talk to three Masters. Complete that quest and he'll give you The Team Trials. You can take heroes with you on this quest. Do all 4 arenas, then abandon the quest. Repeat and abandon it until you've made 2k Balthazar faction (the cap for a day). You can then buy hero elites for 3k Balth rep (so 2 elites every 3 days), which will allow you to quickly outfit your heroes better. Since this doesn't cost any platinum and takes around 10 minutes a day (especially with 7 heroes), it's much better than hunting with Signet of Capture.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    You dont have to abandon it? It is repeatable. And it only takes 2 runs to get 2k.
    And then I realized thats silly. Cause I make more than 2k in a single FA or JQ

• Options
    Doing PvP for hero skills might have been the best advice I got in terms of the amount of difference it made in ease of the game. Seriously. Make a PvP character, play Jade Quarry for 2-3 hours and you will never have to worry about hero skills again.

Stupid question: how do I get heroes to cast stuff on me? Say I want a monk to pre-cast protective spirit or w/e on me before I head into combat. How do I go about doing that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I sort of like skill capping from boss mobs. . .

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I sort of like skill capping from boss mobs. . .

That's how I got all my elites, had no idea about the PvP option for hero elites =/

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    So do I, and you need to do it for your own character anyway, so you'll have plenty of chances. But you will save yourself a fair amount of money and a hell of a lot of time by pvping for hero skills instead of buying skills/signets of capture and running across all of creation to kill random boss mobs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darklyre wrote: »

You'd think so, but other people have come to the same conclusion, so purples don't sell for that much more than whites, unless they're a popular mini (Candysmith Marley comes to mind).

Oooo, well one of the two I have is Candysmith Marley, by coincidence. Bonus!

• Options
    I understand the fun of playing the right way to get skills via capture. But the money alone it costs makes it impractical for hom rushing. Pvp saves you easilly 40-60 plat and 10-20 hours.
    If you have factions, its stupid how fast you can get skills.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Superdupe wrote: »
    Stupid question: how do I get heroes to cast stuff on me? Say I want a monk to pre-cast protective spirit or w/e on me before I head into combat. How do I go about doing that?

Click on the number next to the hero in the party bar to bring up their skills. You can then click on yourself then click on the ability you want them to cast next. This works for any ability on any valid target. So if your up against shiro and you have your hero bring wild blow you can click the wild blow button every time shiro uses battle scars.

I'm at 34/50 in my hom. I need to sell my strat strongboxes and just buy a destroyer weapon.

Draygo on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    You dont have to abandon it? It is repeatable. And it only takes 2 runs to get 2k.
    Are you sure you're thinking of Team Trials?

Also, it takes 2 near-perfect runes, which some won't manage with the default set-up.

And yes, you make more in FA or JQ, but I don't think you do so in such a short time.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    on defensive sets, one of the big reasons for using a +5e 30hp/5ar martial weapon is that AI won't use caster hexes on characters holding a spear/sword/axe.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Are you sure you're thinking of Team Trials?

Also, it takes 2 near-perfect runes, which some won't manage with the default set-up.

And yes, you make more in FA or JQ, but I don't think you do so in such a short time.

If you arent talking about the trials where you fight 4 battles showcasing each type of arena, then why arent you? It allows heroes (and more than 4 I might add) or gives you teammates. Its rediculously easy and all but the last one is fast. Last one takes 2 mins causr its killcount. Its repeatable and each run is roughly 1200 points. No reason not to do it.
    And time wise, FA can be significantly faster depening on the outcome.

• Options
    Feldorn wrote: »
    on defensive sets, one of the big reasons for using a +5e 30hp/5ar martial weapon is that AI won't use caster hexes on characters holding a spear/sword/axe.

Actually, they'll still put caster hexes on you, just at a much lower rate. I use a +5e/30hp spear myself as an Ele, and I'll still occasionally get Backfire thrown on me.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »

Actually, they'll still put caster hexes on you, just at a much lower rate. I use a +5e/30hp spear myself as an Ele, and I'll still occasionally get Backfire thrown on me.

This is one of the tricks people use in The Deep since the Sapping Nightmares won't use Chaos Storm on people wielding martial weapons.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    8 more levels on my alt, 69 amber shards, and 30/50 HoM here I am. Luxon (jadeite) would be cheaper, but if I'm going to finish this out, I'd rather finish it out in proper style...(even if said proper style is on an alt). Just finished EotN book and turned it in for Norn rank, bought the Norn set (which is awesome looking for Dervishes, too bad I got it last), and now just one task remaining.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic