Options

Blue Screen of [chat]

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    So here's a thing

I remember hearing on a podcast once an American guy saying, completely non-ironically, that Porsche should be respectful and rename the Porsche 911

Is this a common thing in the US, or was this guy just a nut

i wouldn't say it's especially common but sentiments like that exist, sure.

to be totally fair though, people who were actually harmed by 9/11 have to hear every year from late august to mid september OH MY GODDDDD DO I REALLY HAVE TO SIT THROUGH FOOTAGE AGAIN, OH MY GOD, JUST LET IT GO MEDIA, IT WAS X YEARS AGO

i will stop feeling bad about old conservatives wringing out 9/11 when young liberals quit stomping on the feelings of millions of americans to be edgy because they're bored with our grief

It was a big deal last time because, you know, 10-year anniversary.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So here's a thing

I remember hearing on a podcast once an American guy saying, completely non-ironically, that Porsche should be respectful and rename the Porsche 911

to be totally fair though, people who were actually harmed by 9/11 have to hear every year from late august to mid september OH MY GODDDDD DO I REALLY HAVE TO SIT THROUGH FOOTAGE AGAIN, OH MY GOD, JUST LET IT GO MEDIA, IT WAS X YEARS AGO

i will stop feeling bad about old conservatives wringing out 9/11 when young liberals quit stomping on the feelings of millions of americans to be edgy because they're bored with our grief
    9/11 was like a huge blow to the head for the U.S., in that it essentially turned us completely retarded, mostly from the incessant media coverage. So, yeah, when the anniversary rolls around and we turn to a month of 24/7 9/11 anniversary coverage, we're gonna get pissy. There are more fucking important things happening. The world does not grind to a fucking halt in August and September.

And if the media in this country were capable of doing anything tastefully or with moderation, we wouldn't give a fuck. But they aren't.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    As a young Aramean who reads Aramaic,

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Thanatos wrote: »
    So here's a thing

9/11 was like a huge blow to the head for the U.S., in that it essentially turned us completely retarded, mostly from the incessant media coverage. So, yeah, when the anniversary rolls around and we turn to a month of 24/7 9/11 anniversary coverage, we're gonna get pissy. There are more fucking important things happening. The world does not grind to a fucking halt in August and September.

And if the media in this country were capable of doing anything tastefully or with moderation, we wouldn't give a fuck. But they aren't.

lots of things are upsetting. there are ways to express being upset and ways to do it like a prodigious douchebag trampling on everyone's emotions because ARRRGH RIGHTEOUS ANGER TELLING IT LIKE IT IS.

what i'm saying is some people have the tact of a middle aged black woman who is A REAL ASS WOMAN LOOKING FOR A MAN WHO AIN'T PLAYING NO MIND GAMES

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I live in New York so I'm allowed to be bored with ten year old grief.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    As a real ass woman looking for a man who ain't playing no mind games,

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Elendil best poster 2012

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    if god is anything like priests, he prefers to reveal himself to innocents
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whytAReStUQ

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    oh god are you on this again chu

it's been like a year

give it a rest

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

you're welcome to be as bored as you like. just be prepared to get punched in the face when you're an asshole about how bored you are.

• Options
    Threats of violence abound.

Has 911 taught us nothing??

• Options
    IM FROM NEW YORK

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    We had a guest author come to my undergrad one year. She was from Sarasota and started talking about how she couldn't drive over a bridge anymore because it led toward the general area where the terrorists trained for the flight licenses so it was, to her, a "bridge to evil" and bothered her.

I thought "If I had known anyone who died or was injured in 9/11 I'd want to punch this woman" at the time. I'm not sure how warranted that feeling was.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    P

it's been like a year

give it a rest

It's almost like its an annual thing or something. Like its revolving around some specific date.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    405121_10150895059434951_773449950_12707476_664852964_n.jpg

These cats are fucking adorable.

This is why I read cat threads in H/A.

• Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    P

it's been like a year

give it a rest

It's almost like its an annual thing or something. Like its revolving around some specific date.

we need to get robert langdon in here to do some unpuzzling

• Options

You live in Cohoes or some shit. I lived closer to NYC in when I lived in CT! And either way, it's no different than living anywhere else.

I live near Albany, the CAPITAL of NEW YORK.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    there's a cat in between
    there's a cat where they meet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ZUQMBD5yI

Elendil on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

You live in Cohoes or some shit. I lived closer to NYC in when I lived in CT! And either way, it's no different than living anywhere else.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Things have different meanings to different people.

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Wow, the new God of War game is like the most disappointing shit ever.

Damn prequels.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    And Chu, at least for me, it's not a matter of boredom; I'm really fucking angry at the way it's handled (which, you know, makes it a special flower, because I never get angry at anything). Every year, it's that retarded 24/7 coverage, "retrospectives" and such, interspersed with commercial breaks where BP and Exxon run fucking propaganda pieces about how wonderful their companies are, and politicians get into competitions for who can fucking exploit it the most. It's fucking crass, and one of the reasons I love Joe Biden so much is that he was one of the few guys with the fucking balls to point it out.

And I think most liberals (maybe not the very young, but most of them born in the 80s and early 90s) have feelings similar to mine, not a sense of boredom or apathy.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    What commemorative plate are they selling this year?

• Options
    oh i guess radiohead is playing in camden

i wonder if i can get to camden

i wonder if there are even tickets left

• Options

If there was a terrorist attack in Albany, how would you know?

All the scaffolding would fall down!

• Options
    oh i guess radiohead is playing in camden

i wonder if i can get to camden

i wonder if there are even tickets left
    If tickets have gone on sale, then no.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

People would actually visit it?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

• Options
    Posting at 88MPH motherfuckers.

• Options
    i don't think i can get to camden

why is radiohead in camden

• Options
  • Options
    i don't think i can get to camden

why is radiohead in camden

They want to play away from you.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    yeah i think most people are a little sick of the way 9/11's been essentially merchandised commercially and politically, not bored with the grief for the deaths of thousands of people

• Options
    Posting at 88MPH motherfuckers.
    oh shit don't cross the streams

• Options
    i bet thom yorke would be my friend if we ever met

• Options
    God, this is on sale for $210. So fucking tempted.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wow, the new God of War game is like the most disappointing shit ever.

Damn prequels.

Jaffe wasn't involved with making it. He said he was done with the franchise after the third one and has been fiddling with the new Twisted Metal game since then.

• Options
    yeah i think most people are a little sick of the way 9/11's been essentially merchandised commercially and politically, not bored with the grief for the deaths of thousands of people

I think it's also easy to conflate the public spectacle each year with people's grief.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    And Chu, at least for me, it's not a matter of boredom; I'm really fucking angry at the way it's handled (which, you know, makes it a special flower, because I never get angry at anything). Every year, it's that retarded 24/7 coverage, "retrospectives" and such, interspersed with commercial breaks where BP and Exxon run fucking propaganda pieces about how wonderful their companies are, and politicians get into competitions for who can fucking exploit it the most. It's fucking crass, and one of the reasons I love Joe Biden so much is that he was one of the few guys with the fucking balls to point it out.

as i have said for probably four septembers running on this forum, i have zero problems with people being angry. i am angry about it, too. do you think i enjoy rudy giuliani trying to make his legacy off the backs of corpses? and the media are douchebags. of course. the point is that on this forum- even in this thread where i spend most of my time with friends i've talked to for years and years, some of whom i've even met in person- for a lot of people it isn't 'fuck the media for doing blah blah, fuck the politicians for doing blah blah, this is disrespectful'.

it's the blatant dickery every year that bothers me- the absolute, tactless disregard for everyone. like being an asshole to people here who lost loved ones is somehow 'getting back' at the man for misappropriating 9/11.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.