Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I barely play Payday, so my $5 purchase from Amazon was basically a donation. Game isn't bad, but Shogun 2 and STO has taken all my attention.

:p.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean it seems pretty obvious to me that slapping a big -75% tag onto a game for a limited time creates an impetus to purchase it all on its own because you feel like you're getting a deal.
    Ugh... so, I guess that shitlord who went on a killing spree in Norway a couple months ago is claiming he trained for his rampage by playing Modern Warfare 3 and World of Warcraft.

Greeeeat.

Welcome to last year?

?

Didn't that happen in January or something?

July last year

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I know what fighting games are, and I had no clue what a kitty board was.

Meanwhile, this is probably the best DLC pre-order bonus ever:

lbpkartingbonuslg.jpg
    At least a few pre-orders of LittleBigPlanet Karting will include a free DLC pack featuring Kevin Butler, the fictional VP from Sony's promotional campaigns. The pre-order deal is live through Amazon and GameStop and it includes the Kevin Butler Sackboy costume and executive golf cart.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/18/kevin-butler-is-dlc-in-littlebigplanet-karting/

Though this just makes me more baffled that Kevin Butler seems to have vanished from Sony's ads entirely in favor of... whatever the hell they're doing now.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean it seems pretty obvious to me that slapping a big -75% tag onto a game for a limited time creates an impetus to purchase it all on its own because you feel like you're getting a deal.
    Ugh... so, I guess that shitlord who went on a killing spree in Norway a couple months ago is claiming he trained for his rampage by playing Modern Warfare 3 and World of Warcraft.

Greeeeat.

Welcome to last year?

?

July last year

Oh wow...

Well, at any rate, he's now claiming MW3 and WoW helped him do it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RD, your post seems to have vanished into the ether

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    well, he said he didn't understand anything in the post

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, only films produced in the Anglosphere:

Street Fighter*
    Double Dragon
    Super Mario Brothers
    Alone in the Dark
    Bloodrayne*
    Tekken
    The King of Fighters
    Prince of Persia
    Hitmjan
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    Doom
    Max Payne

*Multiple films based on the same IP, all horrible.

Those were all pretty terrible, right? Now, some exceptions: the Wing Commander movie wasn't horrible, right? The same could be said about Tomb Raider I guess--it's almost an exception in that it's not totally awful (or at least the first one wasn't). But that's mostly by comparison. Plus, it got Daniel Craig face time. And I think some of the Resident Evil films aren't absolutely godawful if you like Milla Jovovich?

Not terribly encouraging, I'd say. Now, I absolutely know someone is going to come out and tell me Street Fighter with Van Dam was actually a cinematic masterpiece, and they're entitled to that opinion.

(I'm limiting it to English-speaking studios, because that's what we'd be dealing with in Halo, and those produced in Japan (for Japanese games) are, while not good, significantly less horrible. Probably because the original writers and voice talent are almost always called in for this sort of thing, so it actually resembles the game somewhat, which is an idea too stupid to be adopted in the West--the Hitman movie comes to mind.)

Yes, replacing Luke Skywalker and Biff with Fred and Shaggy from Scoobydoo wasn't bad at all. No sir.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular

Greeeeat.

Kind of right. He trained on how to use scopes before doing the real thing.

For WOW he said it was just a hobby like playing golf. He basically used being addicted to playing WOW as his cover to write is "manifesto" and plan his "suicide mission"

I do wonder if Activision will saying anything about someone using Modern Warfare to see how easy it is to use a holographic sight. First use of video games as an excuse I've seen where the connection kind of fits.

• Options
    Yeah, the whole WoW/Modern Warfare thing was a pretty big deal back when it first happened and they featured prominently in his manifesto or whatever.

Which is why I thought it was weird that it seems to have become news again, but I guess it's just because he's now testified in court to that affect.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular

Meanwhile, this is probably the best DLC pre-order bonus ever:

lbpkartingbonuslg.jpg
    At least a few pre-orders of LittleBigPlanet Karting will include a free DLC pack featuring Kevin Butler, the fictional VP from Sony's promotional campaigns. The pre-order deal is live through Amazon and GameStop and it includes the Kevin Butler Sackboy costume and executive golf cart.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/18/kevin-butler-is-dlc-in-littlebigplanet-karting/

Though this just makes me more baffled that Kevin Butler seems to have vanished from Sony's ads entirely in favor of... whatever the hell they're doing now.

The last commercials from them I even slightly remember were the "Long Live Play" commercials. And I believe that was about a year ago.

• Options
    Kevin Butler is currently in the little demo reel for the PS3 TV that they keep looping in Gamestop these days.

That is the last place I saw him.

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Skullgirls was the top seller on XBLA last week. I wonder how it's doing on PSN, but it should be doing even better. Being a complete and balanced fighting game for online fifteen dollars might have something to do with it (that's specifically why I got it.) Also, tits.

I doubt Skullgirls is selling better on the PSN. At best, it's selling at parity which would still be impressive since most games on both platforms sell better on XBLA (since it's a more popular platform in general).

In general yes, but Skullgirls was the last straw for me: Fighting games are more popular on Ps3. Yesterday I (grudgingly) ordered a Kitty Board so I can Dual Mod my TE without any soldering and play it on PSN rather than Xbox Live. My brother got a Ps3 specifically for fighting game purposes yesterday as well.

They physically perform equally on both consoles, but it's way easier to get into a game on PSN than Live.

For the record, I didn't understand anything in this post.
    presumably you know what fighting games are

a kitty board is a pcb that allows one to make their existing joystick work on both sony and microsoft hardware (as well as other platforms, if desired)

additional information linked on this page

Can it be used to make a 360 fightstick work on PC? Or are there other methods for that? I have a TE-S if that helps.

• Options

Greeeeat.

Kind of right. He trained on how to use scopes before doing the real thing.

For WOW he said it was just a hobby like playing golf. He basically used being addicted to playing WOW as his cover to write is "manifesto" and plan his "suicide mission"

I do wonder if Activision will saying anything about someone using Modern Warfare to see how easy it is to use a holographic sight. First use of video games as an excuse I've seen where the connection kind of fits.

If you were going to train on how to use weapons with a videogame, why not buy ARMA?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Greeeeat.

Welcome to last year?

?

July last year

Oh wow...

Well, at any rate, he's now claiming MW3 and WoW helped him do it.

World of Warcraft...?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Kevin Butler is currently in the little demo reel for the PS3 TV that they keep looping in Gamestop these days.

Apparently this was his last commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfiaLfqZCmQ

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    RD, your post seems to have vanished into the ether

Yeah, that's really odd. Figured I was safe to share vague comparative data but maybe not.

Anyway, I just sent an email to our contacts at Steam to see if we can write an article that shares detailed information about how our sale did. I'll see what they say.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Skullgirls was the top seller on XBLA last week. I wonder how it's doing on PSN, but it should be doing even better. Being a complete and balanced fighting game for online fifteen dollars might have something to do with it (that's specifically why I got it.) Also, tits.

I doubt Skullgirls is selling better on the PSN. At best, it's selling at parity which would still be impressive since most games on both platforms sell better on XBLA (since it's a more popular platform in general).

In general yes, but Skullgirls was the last straw for me: Fighting games are more popular on Ps3. Yesterday I (grudgingly) ordered a Kitty Board so I can Dual Mod my TE without any soldering and play it on PSN rather than Xbox Live. My brother got a Ps3 specifically for fighting game purposes yesterday as well.

They physically perform equally on both consoles, but it's way easier to get into a game on PSN than Live.

For the record, I didn't understand anything in this post.
    presumably you know what fighting games are

a kitty board is a pcb that allows one to make their existing joystick work on both sony and microsoft hardware (as well as other platforms, if desired)

additional information linked on this page

Can it be used to make a 360 fightstick work on PC? Or are there other methods for that? I have a TE-S if that helps.

Yes, and that's also why I got it. Mike Z said there would be a PC edition in the future, and due to the patching policies shenanigans by Microsoft, I know the Steam version will be updated and improved to Reverge Lab's delight while the console versions collect dust. Which is exactly what happened to Monday Night Combat.

My stick is a TE-S, so I had to pay an extra five dollars for some harness cables.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I completely forgot about that. Was there/has there been any sales numbers for it?

• Options
    Decoy wrote: »

I completely forgot about that. Was there/has there been any sales numbers for it?

Probably not super great?

I know it's already had $100 lopped off its price in Gamestop, making it an actually fairly attractive deal in all honesty.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

I know it's already had $100 lopped off its price in Gamestop, making it an actually fairly attractive deal in all honesty.

yeah right now they are selling it for $299 with an extra set of 3d glasses and a copy of MLB 12 the show (in addition to the Motorstorm Apocalypse, HDMI cable and glasses it normally comes with).

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular

yeah right now they are selling it for $299 with an extra set of 3d glasses and a copy of MLB 12 the show (in addition to the Motorstorm Apocalypse, HDMI cable and glasses it normally comes with).

Yeah. It only comes with one pair of glasses. To fully utilize the advertized features of the 3dtv, you have to shell out $60~ for a second pair.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I got it during the sale, it's a pretty bad-ass piece of tech for just 300 bucks. Much cheaper and bigger than comparable 3D PC monitors.

Ironically, I use my 360 on it more than the PS3, but both do 3D fine in games that support it.

Allforce on
  • Options
    Robes wrote: »

Yeah. It only comes with one pair of glasses. To fully utilize the advertized features of the 3dtv, you have to shell out $60~ for a second pair.

The big selling point was split-screen gaming on the same monitor via 3D... yet they only included one pair of glasses? Oy.

• Options
    No, it comes with 2 pair of glasses now. Along with MLB The Show and Motorstorm Apocalypse. 299.99

• Options
    The fact that they are practically giving it away at this point makes me believe it probably didn't meet expectations.

Which is a little sad, because the split screen thing is probably the most innovative use of the 3D technology I've seen yet.

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    No, it comes with 2 pair of glasses now. Along with MLB The Show and Motorstorm Apocalypse. 299.99

I was talking about originally. While it's nice that they now provide two glasses, it's disappointing that it took a fire sale to do it.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I was talking about originally. While it's nice that they now provide two glasses, it's disappointing that it took a fire sale to do it.

And people wonder why Sony's TV division is doing lousy.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ah yup. Seems to be a gamestop exclusive though. http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/playstation-3d-display/91799

• Options

Vita memory cards are dropping in price!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    The split-screen tech is a cool idea that sort of works, but ultimately it's garbage on a 24" monitor because it's so tiny that one of you is always going to have a shitty angle on the game. It's definitely not as cut-and-dried as "I CANT SEE WHAT YOU ARE SEEING OH MY GOD THIS IS AWESOME!". There's some issues with the other image ghosting into your view.

I just use it primarily for console gaming at work next to my PC monitor, for that it works (and 3D is good when you're sitting that close and playing solo)

Allforce on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Street Fighter*
    Double Dragon
    Super Mario Brothers
    Alone in the Dark
    Bloodrayne*
    Tekken
    The King of Fighters
    Prince of Persia
    Hitmjan
    Doom
    Max Payne

Those were all pretty terrible, right? Now, some exceptions: the Wing Commander movie wasn't horrible, right? The same could be said about Tomb Raider I guess--it's almost an exception in that it's not totally awful (or at least the first one wasn't). But that's mostly by comparison. Plus, it got Daniel Craig face time. And I think some of the Resident Evil films aren't absolutely godawful if you like Milla Jovovich?

Not terribly encouraging, I'd say. Now, I absolutely know someone is going to come out and tell me Street Fighter with Van Dam was actually a cinematic masterpiece, and they're entitled to that opinion.

(I'm limiting it to English-speaking studios, because that's what we'd be dealing with in Halo, and those produced in Japan (for Japanese games) are, while not good, significantly less horrible. Probably because the original writers and voice talent are almost always called in for this sort of thing, so it actually resembles the game somewhat, which is an idea too stupid to be adopted in the West--the Hitman movie comes to mind.)

Yes, replacing Luke Skywalker and Biff with Fred and Shaggy from Scoobydoo wasn't bad at all. No sir.

I'll take that as further confirmation of my suspicions, then.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Street Fighter*
    Double Dragon
    Super Mario Brothers
    Alone in the Dark
    Bloodrayne*
    Tekken
    The King of Fighters
    Prince of Persia
    Hitmjan
    Doom
    Max Payne

The Wing Commander movie is generally regarded as god awful bad.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Street Fighter*
    Double Dragon
    Super Mario Brothers
    Alone in the Dark
    Bloodrayne*
    Tekken
    The King of Fighters
    Prince of Persia
    Hitmjan
    Doom
    Max Payne

Yeah, that movie was absolutely awful. The best (or worst, probably worst) part of it - by a long way - is when they are hiding on the ship not making any noise. Like a submarine. In space. Where there are no particles to transmit sound for the Kilrathi to pick them up by making noises on their ship.

Yes, it's literally that stupid.

Personally, the less the movie (or games) industry tries to turn successful games into movies, the better. It has never worked out well except for comedy B-Movies (like Street Fighter).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'd only seen part of it. Good to know my instinct that western-made video game movies as being shit is well served.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I got it during the sale, it's a pretty bad-ass piece of tech for just 300 bucks. Much cheaper and bigger than comparable 3D PC monitors.

Ironically, I use my 360 on it more than the PS3, but both do 3D fine in games that support it.

No tuner, which kills its usefulness as a television.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    EA better watch their budgets.

The new Medal of Honor evidently cost so much they can't afford to put spaces in their emails.

ncM7u.png

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options

Wait, when you spend money on an expensive 3D monitor... you expect to be able to use it as a television?!

What kind of horrible monster are you?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Wait, when you spend money on an expensive 3D monitor... you expect to be able to use it as a television?!

What kind of horrible monster are you?

The worst kind, apparently.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Tangentially related to vidja games: so Sony lost $6.4 billion last year. So what is Kaz's first major move? Spend another $2.2 billion.
    While its parent company goes through a dramatic reinvention, Sony Music's scraped together $2.2 billion to lead a consortium that's just bought EMI's music publishing business. While it'll sell off the three Virgin and Famous Music labels to avoid competition concerns, the company will gain access to three million songs from artists like Frank Sinatra, Jay-Z and Adele. It won't affect the day-to-day running of EMI's record label, which is a separate entity, but it will make Sony the biggest music publisher in the world. It's hard not to envisage a future in which the company's influence in the way we buy and listen to music becomes even greater -- especially given that EMI led the charge in abandoning DRM all those years ago.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/19/sony-music-buys-emi-publishing/

Dude's bold, I'll give him that.

• Options
    Tangentially related to vidja games: so Sony lost $6.4 billion last year. So what is Kaz's first major move? Spend another $2.2 billion.
    While its parent company goes through a dramatic reinvention, Sony Music's scraped together $2.2 billion to lead a consortium that's just bought EMI's music publishing business. While it'll sell off the three Virgin and Famous Music labels to avoid competition concerns, the company will gain access to three million songs from artists like Frank Sinatra, Jay-Z and Adele. It won't affect the day-to-day running of EMI's record label, which is a separate entity, but it will make Sony the biggest music publisher in the world. It's hard not to envisage a future in which the company's influence in the way we buy and listen to music becomes even greater -- especially given that EMI led the charge in abandoning DRM all those years ago.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/19/sony-music-buys-emi-publishing/

Dude's bold, I'll give him that.

It's a new year, they need to get to work early if they're going to top last year.

This discussion has been closed.