Options

There's no job thread? Now there is!

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    finally wrote my HOA about my god damn neighbors

yaxc7.jpg

Yes, the guy with the giant truck who is obviously compensating is parking across both of my spots, but more importantly his idiot wife is parked across two on the other side.

Lowest common denominator at work, folks.

Fortunately as a guy in a sedan (pictured), I'm a bit more agile than the people with two kids and two giant SUV/trucks, but I don't like having to park in my other neighbors spots just to be on my own street.

zucchini on
  • Options
    not really work related, but it effects my stress levels when I get home so what the hell.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    The truck isn't that big.

compensating..... how? by not driving a sedan?

I mean sure he parks for shit, but it's just a full size truck. it's not lifted, it's not obnoxious, it's just a truck.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    its twice the size of every other truck that parks on my street, all of which can easily fit in the assigned spots.

edit: it's an F250, so it's a size up from all of the comparable trucks in the lot

zucchini on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    It's not even that the truck can't fit

It's that he is PURPOSEFULLY parking across two spots that aren't even his spots

That man is an ASSHOLE

• Options
    I'm not overlooking the fact he parks for shit.

I'm simply saying a full size ford is not compensating.

it's just a full size truck. Not a little 1/4 ton truck.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    True, Stale. I'll agree to that.

I'm not used to seeing trucks bigger than the F150 or comparable around here, so by comparison it's big.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    It's just crappy parking more than anything, and yes, if he does it repeatedly, he is a certified ass. I drive a full size truck and I park with razor precision.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Driving a stupid Hummer H3 or something, I could consider that compensating

driving an F250, which is capable of being for purely utilitarian needs, is not compensating

That said; bad parking like that infuriates me as well

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    True story. I once got berated for parking too close to another person's car, and when I pointed out I was exactly in the center of the lines, and that they were on the line, they shut up.

• Options
    It's cool, I've already submitted that maybe the trucks not as big as I thought.

Still a dick though.

• Options
    the H3 is the 1/4 ton model. Built on the small-suv frame.

you're thinking of the H1 or H2, both built on the expanded Tahoe frame.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    you might be compensating if you drive this as your primary vehicle and you never tow anything or use it to haul shit

cheque-presentation-5_resize.jpg

When I lived in Edmonton I saw one of those around my neighbourhood all the time

• Options
    Stale wrote: »
    the H3 is the 1/4 ton model. Built on the small-suv frame.

you're thinking of the H1 or H2, both built on the expanded Tahoe frame.

I actually just hate all the Hummers except for the original one, but its just a personal taste thing

• Options
    I love those things

fucking ridiculous for daily-driver use

still awesome

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    You know whats funny, my old landscaping boss has one of those formatted for his business (small dump truck on the back, tool rack, etc). Apparently, because it is diesel, it is more fuel efficient than his GMC Sierra 2500 (when it isnt fully loaded).

So he uses it for trips to his cottage because its actually cheaper on fuel

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    When I lived in Edmonton I saw one of those around my neighbourhood all the time

During my exile to southern Ontario a few years ago, someone down the street from me had something only a little less yachtlike than that.

The owner actually purchased artificial mud to make it look like he took the thing off road all the time; every now and then I'd be walking past it and seeing him carefully spraying it onto the truck.

• Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Yeah an F250 isn't compensating unless it's lifted with 39" tires and 24" rims

Like every single fucking F250 I see here, besides like 10 year old ones

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    hoho wrong thread

JOBS right

zucchini on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    That park job is infuriating. Huge pet peeve of mine.

Ok, I need advice from you all. As I mentioned previously in the thread, I got a job doing data entry/customer support, working a steady 40 hours a week. A friend of mine who has worked there a while basically got me the job (got me the interview, anyway), and I really appreciate him doing so. When I was offered the job, I was asked if I could commit to at least a year, to which I said yes. After all, I'd been looking for a job for months. It pays $9/hr now, and will be $11/hr in two months.

Today, after holding out for weeks and losing hope, I received an email from Apple. They want me to work for them. If I accept their offer, I will start on the 21st of May at $11.25/hr ($16.87 overtime), will be immediately eligible for an Apple 401k for which "Apple
    matches your contributions made through payroll withholding starting at 50 cents for each dollar you contribute up to 6% of eligible pay," and will receive full benefits after a month of employment.

I realize this is a very first-world problem to have, but it has really been tearing me apart today. Do I recant on my commitment, disappointing my very gracious and helpful new boss and effectively wasting a week of one-on-one training they gave me, and possibly putting my friend in a bad position?

This is such a weird place to be in after 3 months of unemployment.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Don't think about immediate compensation. Which job has a higher career ceiling for you? Do you think you have a better opportunity to move up/around in your current company, or at Apple?

(benefits is huge too, but you didn't mention what kind of benefits you are getting at current job)

zucchini on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    I got a phone/skype (I chose skype - I hate phones :P) interview for one of the living history places I applied to! The one with on-site housing which would eliminate a lot of logistical issues.

I'm really excited!

yes!!!

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I got a phone/skype (I chose skype - I hate phones :P) interview for one of the living history places I applied to! The one with on-site housing which would eliminate a lot of logistical issues.

I'm really excited!

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    zucchini wrote: »
    Don't think about immediate compensation. Which job has a higher career ceiling for you? Do you think you have a better opportunity to move up/around in your current company, or at Apple?

(benefits is huge too, but you didn't mention what kind of benefits you are getting at current job)

Thank you, you're absolutely right to keep the correct things in perspective. Of course, when I do that, all signs still point to Apple. Way more opportunity for growth, and my current job offers fuckall in regards to benefits. Now that I think about it, it's sort of laughable that my current job requested I make a one-year commitment in the same breath that they said I would make $9 an hour.

I've made up my mind, I have to tell me boss that I'll be leaving in a month. If she wants me to work until then, I will work my ass off and do a great job before I leave. If she tells me to get the hell out, I will get the hell out with my head held high and knowledge that she just affirmed my decision.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    every time I have to sit through some social media presentation about how we're going to get people to engage with our brand on Facebook and Twitter and tell our company story I just want to be like

the only people who are actively on our social media pages are either old people trying to contact their nieces or angry people wanting to complain at something. it's a fucking glorified customer service line. this is the reality of corporate twitter accounts. nobody is getting home at night, cracking open a beer and sitting down to read our CEO's travel blog.

maybe I'm too cynical, but fuck.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Our company has no grip on social media. They'll send out special 'FB only ads', but when our site only has a handful of followers, then no one gets the ad, then the ad doesn't do well ... they blame shit like the weather.

Hell, our company can't even be bothered to check ads when the big special item is only carried at two of the stores ... so we get a week of calls and annoyed customers.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Scudo wrote: »
    every time I have to sit through some social media presentation about how we're going to get people to engage with our brand on Facebook and Twitter and tell our company story I just want to be like

the only people who are actively on our social media pages are either old people trying to contact their nieces or angry people wanting to complain at something. it's a fucking glorified customer service line. this is the reality of corporate twitter accounts. nobody is getting home at night, cracking open a beer and sitting down to read our CEO's travel blog.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0sqpzWayc1r0fubko1_1280.png

• Options
    edited April 2012
    if anyone tweets about my company it's treated as a top priority.

*snip* // insert Angry_Rant

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    On second thought don't do that. That will only end badly for everyone.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    Applied for a job at Denny's

• Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    That's the punchline

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i like my student assistant job better than my classes

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    The F-150, like The Universe, is constantly getting larger.

By 2030, the F-150 will be the size of the an Airbus.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The F-150, like The Universe, is constantly getting larger.

By 2030, the F-150 will be the size of the an Airbus.

Then you get the truck arms race with Chevy and Dodge. Eventually every truck will be the size of an ocean going freighter with truck nuts the size of wrecking balls on the back.

• Options
    if I had to get a truck, I think I'd get a toyota

based only on that old Top Gear episode where they dropped one off of an imploding building

I'm pretty sure a Ford Ranger would have just disintegrated

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    if I had to get a truck, I think I'd get a toyota

based only on that old Top Gear episode where they dropped one off of an imploding building

I'm pretty sure a Ford Ranger would have just disintegrated

I don't think they make the Ranger anymore. Dodge doesn't make the Dakota anymore too, which is a shame. I loved my Dakota.

• Options
    I liked the small trucks. My second car was very nearly a Chevy S-10

My grandparents have an old Ranger

I am not sure they make them anymore either. If they do, they hide them in the commercial lot somewhere.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Scudo wrote: »

You are not cynical, this is totally true and it's not just business where this happens. My library system can't get it's social media shit together at all and yet everyone's convinced that it's important so the powers that be push to make it happen. The result is we have 9400 facebook pages and 43 twitter accounts and there's no way that any sane person could figure out who to follow to find out what they might want to know, on top of the fact that 1 in 11 FB posts and tweets is anything anyone would care about.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    There are a very very very very few companies that do it right, and there are a lot of charlatans out there eager to convince everyone with a federal tax ID that they need a twitter account.

Favorite company twitter is BrightHouse, because they will actually accept and complete support issues completely through DM's, no "call this number, send an e-mail here", they just DM you back and forth until it's resolved.

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.