Options

[League of Legends]: It's something to do when Diablo 3 is down.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Nunu is hamstrung by the piddling range on his trollball.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    i guess it comes down to your ability to last hit with high ping

if you can get last hitting down, then ranged AD would probably be the best
    if you can't, then...something that farms really easy and has UNdead combos, like sion, would be good

(Isn't sion a zombie or something?)
    more or less yeah. he was some bad ass warrior dude who went all "blood for the blood god" until he was executed and ultimately resurrected by noxian necromongers.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Nunu is hamstrung by the piddling range on his trollball.

On the otherhand it's slow duration is longer than the CD of the spell and he has a sweet MS buff for himself and someone else.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I really don't know how to feel about WotA on Rumble now. I might just build the revolver then start building other things after instead going straight to the book. Though, that deathfire. It's too delicious. I used it build it all the time on Rumble on it was amazing, then I stopped for Lich Bane.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I forgot how hilarious it is to play headgames and troll people as Leblanc.

The look on someone's face when you escape a fight with half a bar left and they have 3 bars, only to jump back and instagib them is priceless.

One of the recordings of Painhouse Week 2 has me getting smoked on Taric from about 3/4ths by basically that move. ;_;

Was that me?

Fun game! You guys played real solid, and won for it.

[EDIT] Holy hell I was backed up, jesus

Rend on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's what makes him a good support/gank/roam and a bad AP carry.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    questions for the soloqueue vets. I'm trying to raise my elo so I can play with and against better players:

I'm best at support and jungling, with casters and ranged AD tied right behind that. I'm comfortable playing ranged dps types, but I feel like the other two roles are my forte.

Does playing support or jungle give my team the better chance to win?
    Should I try to improve my AP/AD instead?
    I've also noticed that at my elo (1100) there's a severe lack of communication, even in the draft. Should I try and coordinate my teams, or just let people do what they want and focus on what I'm doing?

I've only played maybe 20 ranked games so far, and while I realize the community can be terrible at every elo, the rating I'm at now contains people who have significantly less skill and smaller brains than the people i get matched up against in normals. It's hard to queue ranked when I know I'll have a better game and more fun if I just queue up for a normal.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bubs wrote: »
    questions for the soloqueue vets. I'm trying to raise my elo so I can play with and against better players:

I'm best at support and jungling, with casters and ranged AD tied right behind that. I'm comfortable playing ranged dps types, but I feel like the other two roles are my forte.

I've also noticed that at my elo (1100) there's a severe lack of communication, even in the draft. Should I try and coordinate my teams, or just let people do what they want and focus on what I'm doing?

I've only played maybe 20 ranked games so far, and while I realize the community can be terrible at every elo, the rating I'm at now contains people who have significantly less skill and smaller brains than the people i get matched up against in normals. It's hard to queue ranked when I know I'll have a better game and more fun if I just queue up for a normal.

Jungle can have more impact if you do it well. Support creates more problems played badly. It's double-edged, really. I find myself gravitating towards whichever our team seems weaker at from pre-game chatter.

Re: communication, just try to get them saying something. "Hello," is usually a safe opening gambit. Assume that these people will treat literally anything you suggest as rude or argumentative and tread lightly; try to work with whatever nonsensical composition they want to play as best you can.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

disclaimer: i think solo queue is a cesspit and i never play ranked

there ARE people that have made it to high elo playing primarily support roles, but they are few and far between, and honestly i suspect that it's rare enough that they are simply lucky. incompetent supports can lose games for good carries, but competent supports rarely win with bad teammates.
    Since you like jungling, my advice would be to play carry junglers, like nocturne, or riven, or shyvana, and don't feel bad about stealing farm from the lanes as long as you get farmed enough to win the game.
    Personally, I think jungler, top lane, and especially mid lane have the greatest effect on the game at low elo right now, but only if you gank and counterjungle

if you aren't capable of singlehandedly forcing your team to win at around 1100 elo, i would recommend taking a break from ranked until you're better at the game. The more ranked games you play, the less ELO you win/lose per game, so you really can dig yourself into a pit by jumping in too soon : (

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Reasons why WoTA is used too often:
    A) It's too cheap for what it does
    B) It's the only end-game item that offers spell-vamp without needing to build an AD item

Pick one
    The aura is also ridic on it in certain team comps though. I forsee them getting rid of it just because if you have something like ahri mid morde top double wota is really strong.
    Like I've said before, AD carries in general need to be nerfed, and it'll probably require some systemic changes. The least fun, most shitty, most indefensible thing in DOTA besides 100-0 stunlocks is the concept of carries who do all the damage and are basically guaranteed a win if a game lasts longer than X.

Really, the Kog + 3 support strategy at a draft tournament (as opposed to a blind pick gimmick) shows the problem better than anything I could say does.

There was a period for a while after the game launched where it seemed like League of Legends was going to turn out to be about pushing rather than farming, which discussing the Sivir redesign has put me in mind of. I liked that idea better than what we've ended up with, which is a game about pacing yourself and your team until the balance is in your favor. It's not a BAD game by any means, but it's not quite what I remember hoping it'd turn into.
    Are you talking about when they crazy buffed minions? The problem with that is then sustain rules the day since you can take the tower as soon as the other person goes b. It meant everyone had tp or was a sustain char.

• Options
    Neaden wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Reasons why WoTA is used too often:
    A) It's too cheap for what it does
    B) It's the only end-game item that offers spell-vamp without needing to build an AD item

Pick one
    The aura is also ridic on it in certain team comps though. I forsee them getting rid of it just because if you have something like ahri mid morde top double wota is really strong.
    Like I've said before, AD carries in general need to be nerfed, and it'll probably require some systemic changes. The least fun, most shitty, most indefensible thing in DOTA besides 100-0 stunlocks is the concept of carries who do all the damage and are basically guaranteed a win if a game lasts longer than X.

Really, the Kog + 3 support strategy at a draft tournament (as opposed to a blind pick gimmick) shows the problem better than anything I could say does.

There was a period for a while after the game launched where it seemed like League of Legends was going to turn out to be about pushing rather than farming, which discussing the Sivir redesign has put me in mind of. I liked that idea better than what we've ended up with, which is a game about pacing yourself and your team until the balance is in your favor. It's not a BAD game by any means, but it's not quite what I remember hoping it'd turn into.
    Are you talking about when they crazy buffed minions? The problem with that is then sustain rules the day since you can take the tower as soon as the other person goes b. It meant everyone had tp or was a sustain char.

i wasn't playing at the time, but i've been told that when the game originally came out, the idea of trying to not push your lane was foreign. characters that pushed really hard were top tier, and generally people thought that warwick was the only viable jungle candidate, and that warwick sucked

• Options
    Enraged GuppiesEnraged Guppies Registered User regular

This is what worked for me

At low-ish elo: Jungle, hands down. Has the biggest impact on the game at low levels because you can get fed off of all the lanes (other roles only have their lane opponent unless you're highly mobile) And most junglers have something gross to bring to team fights later in the game (see amumu/ww ults, shyv/mundo crazy tanky dmg, nautilus cc, lee sin super versatile, olaf is a boss, etc.).

Once you reach higher elo it's harder to get sure-thing ganks off, because of that I found ranged AD to be a really essential role. If you honestly think you belong at a higher elo, play ranged carry and farm for 20 minutes, hope your team didn't feed too hard for you to carry, and then rip people up, politely telling your team that protecting you is now a #1 priority.

Enraged Guppies

Giuseppe Grande
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Possibly. I'm remembering the old Promote and what Heimerdinger could do to a lane at his release, more. This is not to say that release Heimerdinger was remotely fair, mind you, simply that he has been revised away from it because he could single-handedly end the laning phase on a large portion of the map by winning it. Same with Sivir. It didn't so much mean that everyone had teleport, but a lot of the now-extant sustain items didn't do what they now do or, in some cases, exist.
    i wasn't playing at the time, but i've been told that when the game originally came out, the idea of trying to not push your lane was foreign. characters that pushed really hard were top tier, and generally people thought that warwick was the only viable jungle candidate, and that warwick sucked

Correct. Leaving Ricochet toggled on with Sivir and blowing the other guy out of the lane with the bounce damage, then knocking out towers, was a thing back when she had pink hair. There was none of this no-CS support nonsense, and we all bought War Bonds and punched Hitler on a regular basis. Why, in my day, we had to walk uphill both ways to our lane, and we liked it!

... but seriously, Riot moved away from pushing over time and towards what we have now. Some of us have never really lost that "fuck towers, they are all that is wrong with the world," mentality.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah. LOL was simply more fun in how it was played in 2010.

Now, the overall skill of players has gone up over time (disclaimer: I'm sure some of this is observational bias since I'm above average in every queue's Elo, but still), but the meta is so, so stale right now. And the worst thing is, it is the meta because it's so good you either have to play it, or play to counter it. Every single fucking game, from ranked to blind pick normal, you have to ask yourself "Am I going to outfarm their AD+Support bottom, or am I going to try to disrupt their AD+Support bottom using another tactic?" Occasionally, through sheer fucking luck, you'll end up playing something fresh like you both running kill lanes bottom, but it's a rarity on par with a perfect diamond.

As a perfect example:
    Why I play Mord on release: "Mord is really cool and does tons of damage!"
    Why I play Mord now: "Mord's ghost allows me to use the enemy AD carry's farm to their own disadvantage. And he's really cool and does tons of damage."

programjunkie on
  • Options
    The thing is I think Riot has really tried to kill the meta, or at least offer alternatives. There are two different maps where the meta doesn't exist, they try to make better support items to promote supports getting them, they have nerfed all the heals across the board etc. I don't know DOTA well but isn't the meta even stricter there with AD carrys carrying even harder? It might just be a consequence of the basic game design.

• Options

Now, the overall skill of players has gone up over time (disclaimer: I'm sure some of this is observational bias since I'm above average in every queue's Elo, but still), but the meta is so, so stale right now. And the worst thing is, it is the meta because it's so good you either have to play it, or play to counter it. Every single fucking game, from ranked to blind pick normal, you have to ask yourself "Am I going to outfarm their AD+Support bottom, or am I going to try to disrupt their AD+Support bottom using another tactic?" Occasionally, through sheer fucking luck, you'll end up playing something fresh like you both running kill lanes bottom, but it's a rarity on par with a perfect diamond.

As a perfect example:
    Why I play Mord now: "Mord's ghost allows me to use the enemy AD carry's farm to their own disadvantage. And he's really cool and does tons of damage."

Yeah, when pushing was cool, Mordekaiser and Malzahar were regarded as being good. Now they make people make confused faces or angry noises when you pick them.

• Options
    The thing is I think Riot has really tried to kill the meta, or at least offer alternatives. There are two different maps where the meta doesn't exist, they try to make better support items to promote supports getting them, they have nerfed all the heals across the board etc. I don't know DOTA well but isn't the meta even stricter there with AD carrys carrying even harder? It might just be a consequence of the basic game design.

The carries carrying harder part is definitely true; you can manage a surprising variety of team compositions there but you do need a carry, period, end of discussion. Dominion is a really nice concession to the people who just want to fight men; I honestly wish about half the people playing Olaf / Pantheon / whoever in solo queue were playing that.

• Options
    To me dominion is like training mode, you just do it to beat people up using a character you felt like playing with a guaranteed source of income/exp.

There is obviously a group of people who love dominion and actually try to develop strategies and whatnot, I am not one of those people!

Enraged Guppies

Giuseppe Grande
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular

Since you like jungling, my advice would be to play carry junglers, like nocturne, or riven, or shyvana, and don't feel bad about stealing farm from the lanes as long as you get farmed enough to win the game.
    Personally, I think jungler, top lane, and especially mid lane have the greatest effect on the game at low elo right now, but only if you gank and counterjungle

if you aren't capable of singlehandedly forcing your team to win at around 1100 elo, i would recommend taking a break from ranked until you're better at the game. The more ranked games you play, the less ELO you win/lose per game, so you really can dig yourself into a pit by jumping in too soon : (

I was afraid somebody was going to say this. I'm not a 2000 elo player, but I think I'd fit in around 1300-1500 based on what I've seen in streams and replays. I don't really mind if I tank my elo (within reason), because in normals you inevitably run into people who aren't trying to win. I feel like in ranked, everybody is at least trying. Might be way off base on that

So my best bet is to hope my teammates can hold their own in lane, gank the shit out of everybody, and steal buffs from the other guy? That I can do. Should i focus on helping the lanes that are falling behind or the guy who can snowball and carry?

I've been rolling Warwick, trundle, and Mundo, mostly for their ease of use, but I'll give the champs you mentioned a shot.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options

I was afraid somebody was going to say this. I'm not a 2000 elo player, but I think I'd fit in around 1300-1500 based on what I've seen in streams and replays. I don't really mind if I tank my elo (within reason), because in normals you inevitably run into people who aren't trying to win. I feel like in ranked, everybody is at least trying. Might be way off base on that

So my best bet is to hope my teammates can hold their own in lane, gank the shit out of everybody, and steal buffs from the other guy? That I can do. Should i focus on helping the lanes that are falling behind or the guy who can snowball and carry?

I've been rolling Warwick, trundle, and Mundo, mostly for their ease of use, but I'll give the champs you mentioned a shot.
    Keep in mind the 1100s are average for ranked, and above average for the playerbase. 1500 is like, the top 3% of ranked, which is probably in the top 1% of the entire playerbase.

• Options

mundo is definitely good, i forgot mundo in my list

and you definitely don't have to take my advice! i'm just offering suggestions based off of my own unpleasant experiences with ranked :P

guppies here is at 1700 rating right now, his advice is probably better than mine anyway

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

As a perfect example:

I think this is mostly nostalgia plus the general buzz of playing a game closer to release. When the game is new there's a lot of random ways to try and do things and towards the end of the lifecycle all of the silliness is roughly beaten out of it. Like Diablo 2 or Marvel vs Capcom 2. As those games got older the best way of doing things was eventually figured out. I imagine Marvel was a lot more fun before everyone used the same four characters, but that doesn't mean Megaman/Strider/Spiderman was ever a good team.

• Options
    Now that was a good comparison to fighting games, Chaos Hat, and imma let you finish, but when I compared lux to c viper, it was the best fighting game/league comparison of all time

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular

Keep in mind the 1100s are average for ranked, and above average for the playerbase. 1500 is like, the top 3% of ranked, which is probably in the top 1% of the entire playerbase.

This simply can't be true. No way is 1100 average for active accounts. 1300-1400 may be.

• Options
    zeeny wrote: »

This simply can't be true. No way is 1100 average for active accounts. 1300-1400 may be.

keep in mind that there are a ton of people who start playing ranked, lose several times, and quit

• Options

From Season 1:
    Platinum (Top 0.2%) - 1900 and above (3v3: 1700+, pre-made 5v5: 1750+): a framed summoner icon in platinum, a platinum banner in summoner profile, a platinum forum badge and a special skin for Jarvan IV
    Gold (Top 3%) - Between 1520 and 1899 (3v3: 1490-1699, pre-made 5v5: 1500-1749) : a framed summoner icon in gold, a gold banner in your summoner profile, a gold forum badge and a special skin for Jarvan IV
    Silver (Top 10%) - Between 1400 and 1519 (3v3: 1410-1489, pre-made 5v5: 1410-1499) : a framed summoner icon in silver and a silver banner in your summoner profile
    Bronze (Top 25%) - Between 1249 and 1399 (3v3: 1249-1409, pre-made 5v5: 1249-1409) : a bronze banner in your summoner profile

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Yeah well, it can probably come out as average mathematically because of dormant accounts and many people just not playing ranked, but skill wise, just no way.

• Options
    Yeah well, it can probably come out as average mathematically because of dormant accounts and many people just not playing ranked, but skill wise, just no way.
    It is not the mean though, it is how many people are in those ranges. Only 25% of the ranked player base had an Elo above 1249 at the end of season 1, people who don't play ranked or are unranked are not in those stats at all, though Elo decay would be.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Now that was a good comparison to fighting games, Chaos Hat, and imma let you finish, but when I compared lux to c viper, it was the best fighting game/league comparison of all time

That doesn't even make any sense. C. Viper is a close range character with mixups (yeah yeah, ground pound has range) and Lux is a long range poker. Lux is probably the most Chun Li like of champions.

but they're super unforgiving, unpopular, and strong, and have no health and you get caught in their bullshit and then die

• Options

That doesn't even make any sense. C. Viper is a close range character with mixups (yeah yeah, ground pound has range) and Lux is a long range poker. Lux is probably the most Chun Li like of champions.

• Options
    lee has way too many moves to be viper
    lux just has her three big ones, the one that is a little blueish ball that flies at you, the one that is a surprisingly big aoe that always seems to hit, and the one that hits everything in front of her for a ton of damage after a slight delay

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Kit wise, I think Lee Sin might be pretty Viper-esque since he matches her on the mobility/tricks metric.

Barring that, I could see maybe Akali or Katarina being Viper.

It's probably just more likely that there is no Viper analogue. Which Riot should fix.

Q could be seismic fist, a skillshot that hits for nominal damage at the target and at Viper but also knocks the target up for a short duration.
    W would then probably be thunder knuckle which surges forwards a short distance and applies a slow effect to units she passes through.
    E for burning kick, aoe damage spell, short stun.
    R is Burst Time, knocks up target unit and does a ton of damage!

Her passive? Super Jump Cancel - Connecting with Seismic Fist will cause the next Burning Kick within a few seconds to leap to the target and cost no mana or cooldown.

Make her a glass cannon assassiny cc bot. Might share too much of the same niche with Riven then though.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Master yi = E.Honda

• Options
    edited April 2012
    SaintVicious started bandage on Amumu. What a baller.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think part of the conceptual problem is that since one starts at 1200 Elo, then one assumes that must be average. I think 1200 is a relatively random middle ground chosen as a starting point.

From what I've seen of 1000 Elo(climbed out last season and from some streams this season), that being average seems about right. Mostly people with very loose mechanics, people that know some key ideas but really not how to apply them for the scenario in front of them. Maybe they've seen some tournaments or something and they try to copy paste what they saw with what's happening in front of them. Obviously that won't work. But yeah, that's the average player IMO.

Edit: Riven is Viper, duh!

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    lee has way too many moves to be viper
    lux just has her three big ones, the one that is a little blueish ball that flies at you, the one that is a surprisingly big aoe that always seems to hit, and the one that hits everything in front of her for a ton of damage after a slight delay

But the moves make sense, his Q is her seismic fist, and then he presses it again to SJC to your face parts.
    E can be close up seismic fist, or maybe thunder knuckle.
    The W is just an analogue to her mobility.
    R is burst time. Or maybe her Ultra 2.

Lux just isn't tricksy or mobile enough for me to buy it. Plus she's all about shooting you in the face at range while Viper is all "IMA GET IN THERE AND TEAR SHIT UP" which is a very Lee Sin thing.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I think part of the conceptual problem is that since one starts at 1200 Elo, then one assumes that must be average. I think 1200 is a relatively random middle ground chosen as a starting point.

From what I've seen of 1000 Elo(climbed out last season and from some streams this season), that being average seems about right. Mostly people with very loose mechanics, people that know some key ideas but really not how to apply them for the scenario in front of them. Maybe they've seen some tournaments or something and they try to copy paste what they saw with what's happening in front of them. Obviously that won't work. But yeah, that's the average player IMO.

Viper has no Rekkas. Riven is Yang. Or Fei Long. Probably Yang though because their supers are similar.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

I think I missed the tournament where the team just afked in their base because they were down a couple kills

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options

People trying in ranked doesn't mean a whole lot if they're really bad, but yeah in general people try (trolls still exist, but are less frequent)

When you're figuring out who to gank, don't let lanes get to the point where your teammates can't get exp from their lane, because when that happens the other team gets a super fed something to counter the super-fed you that you are trying to create. If all the lanes are able to survive on their own, pick your favourite carry and get them strong. Remember that gank kills are worth more gold/exp for your team than a 1 v 1 kill, so even if a lane is doing well you helping is still good for your team if there's nowhere else important to be.

Re: stealing buffs. While it is awesome it can be scary as hell in low elo because your teammates probably don't have the foresight to join you in the enemy jungle if things go sour, then when both mids come you end up having to survive 2v1 for a bit. It works, but there are other ways to get strong. Unless you're doing something proven like shyv or mundo invading after blue i think these efforts are better spent preparing for an earlier dragon push.

One more note: people are stupid and probably won't do what you want them to, but communication limits that. Buy wards for them so they'll like you, and if you have time type out a game plan for your team ("I'm getting red then I'll have my q to gank top, try to let him push/save mana/exhaust down/etc.")

Enraged Guppies

Giuseppe Grande
  • Options

Re: stealing buffs. While it is awesome it can be scary as hell in low elo because your teammates probably don't have the foresight to join you in the enemy jungle if things go sour, then when both mids come you end up having to survive 2v1 for a bit. It works, but there are other ways to get strong. Unless you're doing something proven like shyv or mundo invading after blue i think these efforts are better spent preparing for an earlier dragon push.

Counter jungling is so impossibly easy at low elo. People don't believe in wards. Here's how you steal all buffs. At first back, buy a ward. Drop that ward in the bush at their blue somewhere in the 5-6 minute mark so you can see the blue. You don't want to drop the ward while they might be doing it since the little warding animation is visible. Come back around 7:10. If you can see their jungler far away on the map, just do their blue if you are a fast clearer and you have some manner of escape up (flash, shyvana ult, etc). If not, just wait somewhere hidden, like the bushes behind the blue wall. Look at your smite. See how much damage it does. Then, click on the enemy blue buff. When your smite > their blue health, just press it and leave. GG.

Come back every five minutes and repeat. Or, mix it up, wait another minute or so, and then do the same thing to their red buff. Honestly, if I was just starting out in this game again I'd probably just play Shyvana all day and farm.

This discussion has been closed.