As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [chat] Unlike Any Other

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    I liked The Avengers. I want to have sex with Scarlett Johannson. These are related.

This is a succinct précis of my thoughts after having just seen the movie.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    "He has a nobel therefore he is correct"
    "nobel is not a sign of correctness, or virtue btw"
    "All true nobels indicate correctness!"

having a nobel doesn't make you always right. It does however confirm that your peers in the field think pretty highly of you.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    oh dang

one of my coworkers got fired

I'm sure you're not next.

I'm sure I'm not either

my boss is like, tell your wife to hold off on that baby for as long as possible

Nobody wants me to hold off on having a baby :(

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @Mim you are a brilliant person and a test-taking badass. You don't have to fear this exam... it has to fear you!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, for those keeping score at home, it went something like this:
    -I mention Krugman's Nobel prize
    -Spool goes LOL at the value of the prize
    -I acknowledge that he's doing so because Obama won the peace prize, thus diminishing its value in the minds of conservatives
    -Organichu derps all over the thread because he's a slack-eyed welfare queen posting from an illegal flophouse in Philly

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

having a nobel doesn't make you always right. It does however confirm that your peers in the field think pretty highly of you.

No, no, awards and distinctions mean nothing, the bum on the street is just as valid a source as someone who does something for a living and you surely cannot have a more nuanced opinion.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    oh dang

one of my coworkers got fired

I'm sure you're not next.

I'm sure I'm not either

my boss is like, tell your wife to hold off on that baby for as long as possible

what dopes he expect you to do go in there with a carjack?

• Options
    my boss would be all, have that baby whenever you want. Hell, have a million babies I don't give a fuck

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    That mug looks pretty good for people who have trouble keeping track of their biscuits.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    TL DR wrote: »
    Yeah, for those keeping score at home, it went something like this:
    -I mention Krugman's Nobel prize
    -Spool goes LOL at the value of the prize
    -I acknowledge that he's doing so because Obama won the peace prize, thus diminishing its value in the minds of conservatives
    -Organichu derps all over the thread because he's a slack-eyed welfare queen posting from an illegal flophouse in Philly

i'm gonna go shoot a black kid and put your fingerprints all over the gun

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

No, no, awards and distinctions mean nothing, the bum on the street is just as valid a source as someone who does something for a living and you surely cannot have a more nuanced opinion.

I'm pretty sure Krugman writes a column in the New York Times for a living, which further damages his credibility. ;)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Avengers spoilers.
    Just about lost my shit when Stark called Thor 'Point Break'.

• Options
    Krugman used an LOLCat to acknowledge his nobel prize

this forever makes him awesome

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Fuckin' Bibi is gonna make a run on the elections in September.

I'm torn, because on the one hand it's gonna be five more years of that douche running Israel. On the other hand, it looks like IB is gonna be relegated to irrelevance, so that's a small improvement, if only because it means Avigdor Lieberman will be kicked to the curb.

• Options
    goddamnit spool i was defending you, don't go all frothy conservabigoter on me now

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure Krugman writes a column in the New York Times for a living, which further damages his credibility. ;)

:bz

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    It would be correct to say that the fact that Krugman has a Nobel prize does not mean that he is credible.
    It would also be correct to say, however, that the fact that he won the prize for correctly predicting the collapse of the housing bubble would indicate that one might have reason to deem him credible. He also predicted that the stimulus would not go far enough and that there wouldn't be political capital to expand it later, which has also come true.

tl,dr
    eojCQ.jpg

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »

I'm torn, because on the one hand it's gonna be five more years of that douche running Israel. On the other hand, it looks like IB is gonna be relegated to irrelevance, so that's a small improvement, if only because it means Avigdor Lieberman will be kicked to the curb.

you can buy my vote for $75

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    @Mim you are a brilliant person and a test-taking badass. You don't have to fear this exam... it has to fear you!

I hope so. I'm cramming everything I can on to this cheat sheet!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Krugram stuff usually has a lot of his ego and his political rhetoric in it. But the guy is also a god damn genius. So he is still a decent guy to read to get a basic idea of what is going on in the economy through his school's lens.

I also don't always agree with him but he probably has more basis in reality than most of the current schools that are popular in conservative politics. The laboratory of real life hasn't been kind to those policies.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    It would be correct to say that the fact that Krugman has a Nobel prize does not mean that he is credible.
    It would also be correct to say, however, that the fact that he won the prize for correctly predicting the collapse of the housing bubble would indicate that one might have reason to deem him credible. He also predicted that the stimulus would not go far enough and that there wouldn't be political capital to expand it later, which has also come true.

tl,dr
    eojCQ.jpg
    This is just one of my favorite images of all time. It's so amazing.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's 100% correct, but the impression I get is that Krugman is a pretty orthodox economist, but since that includes neo-Keynesian stuff a portion of the media active economists (Austrians/MMTers, Business Economists) as well as the political Right (major overlap there) really, really hate his guts.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I can confidently tell you where all Nine Counties of Ulster are, and the larger counties of the other Provinces.

In other news, going to the gym is tricky when it's closed for May Day.

• Options
    The Krugman/Ron Paul debate thing was hilarious.

• Options

Why would I do that? You're just going to vote for one of the Arab minority parties or one of the hippie Jewish parties, anyway. :bz

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    bwd6p.jpg

This is excellent.

Your word has a useless i in it.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    My last final ever (hopefully) is at 3:30.

I NEED GOOD LUCK WISHES, PEOPLE. I NEED TO GRADUATE.

Why do you need people to wish you good luck? You know the material and you're going to pass so wishing for something I already know is going to happen is dumb.

I'm a nervous wreck and I'm second guessing all that I know. Ahhhhh!

so stop stalling and give me your blessingsssss.

Mim, you are going to kill this final. Just totally kill it.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    I can confidently tell you where all Nine Counties of Ulster are, and the larger counties of the other Provinces.

In other news, going to the gym is tricky when it's closed for May Day.

Right? I had no idea it was a bank holiday until I tried to go to the bank.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Why would I do that? You're just going to vote for one of the Arab minority parties or one of the hippie Jewish parties, anyway. :bz

you mistake me, thanatos

i may be a liberal, but i am also a greedy jew

i would gladly vote for the most settler-expanding, arab-hating, abominable piece of shit in the levant if it gave me more leverage to sell my vote :c

• Options
    The Krugman/Ron Paul debate thing was hilarious.

What was more hilarious was when all the Paultards on the youtube comments thinking Ron Paul won it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    <3 TLDR & Mazzyx for summing up my thoughts on Krugman.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

you mistake me, thanatos

i may be a liberal, but i am also a greedy jew

i would gladly vote for the most settler-expanding, arab-hating, abominable piece of shit in the levant if it gave me more leverage to sell my vote :c

And the success of Likud is explained in one sentence.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Also: I not only want to have sex with Scarlett Johannsen, but pretty much all of the Avengers, including Bruce Banner, and Robin Sherbatzky made an especially sexy SHIELD agent.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Might be worth noting but the prize in economics is technically rewarded by the Swedish Riksbank, not the Nobel Committee.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    My last final ever (hopefully) is at 3:30.

I NEED GOOD LUCK WISHES, PEOPLE. I NEED TO GRADUATE.

Why do you need people to wish you good luck? You know the material and you're going to pass so wishing for something I already know is going to happen is dumb.

I'm a nervous wreck and I'm second guessing all that I know. Ahhhhh!

so stop stalling and give me your blessingsssss.

Mim, you are going to kill this final. Just totally kill it.

I'M SO CLOSE. Graduation is Thursday. AHHHHHH.

Also, I might come up there to Albany at the beginning of June to relax either from finally graduating or the nervous breakdown I will surely have from not graduating.

• Options
    apparently over 350,000 americans with masters degrees are on welfare

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    Also: I not only want to have sex with Scarlett Johannsen, but pretty much all of the Avengers, including Bruce Banner, and Robin Sherbatzky made an especially sexy SHIELD agent.

Pepper&Black Widow threesome. I will kill for such a thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I bet half of them work in social services as well.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    bwd6p.jpg

This is excellent.
    That is a fantastic mug.

I dunno - I am not a fan of mugs that you cannot attack from all sides.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I bet have of them work in social services as well.

Well that's ironic.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.