As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    And based on all of Valve's marketing videos, they would probably make bank opening themselves up to other parties as a marketing/advertising agency. Their ideas and executions are amazing (and hilarious).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    There are plenty of people out there who won't buy from Steam (DRM lol)

Their numbers are greatly exaggerated.

I guess you'd be in a position to know. Still I think that while they are a minority, their numbers wouldn't be totally insignificant.

The louder a minority is the larger it seems to be.

I see what you are saying and I totally agree, but that's not my point. My point is that there are enough people out there that will take a DRM-free choice over the same game with DRM that it's not unprofitable to offer it.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Finally got around to buying Portal 2, had the coupon during the xmas sale, held off, and now it's cheaper than it would have been, worked out alright.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    There are plenty of people out there who won't buy from Steam (DRM lol)

Their numbers are greatly exaggerated.

I guess you'd be in a position to know. Still I think that while they are a minority, their numbers wouldn't be totally insignificant.

The louder a minority is the larger it seems to be.

I see what you are saying and I totally agree, but that's not my point. My point is that there are enough people out there that will take a DRM-free choice over the same game with DRM that it's not unprofitable to offer it.

Agreed.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Man I'm not stranger to Steam, and even I'd prefer to get it DRM free off of GOG.com.

I mean that's just one more plus point for me.

subedii on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Appears if you own Alan Wake on Steam you get 25 percent off preordering the expansion thingy (10 percent off otherwise).

• Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    should i get the portals now?

or should i wait and see if theres a better deal this summer?

• Options
    I'd say there's a decent chance that it hits 75 percent off in the summer. But 8 bucks for both Portals is still a steal.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Unless it's something that benefits from GoG's Dosbox magic, I prefer Steam if only to have everything available from one centralized location.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Alan Wake is actually the game that killed my 360 (which in turn solidified my return to PC gaming). Was a few hours into it. Think I might need to get around to finish it with this sale, if only to honor it for freeing me from being so console bound.

I beat it on 360. It was good, but not good enough that I'd want to spend 15 bucks on it to play it again right now. If you haven't played it yet, it's totally worth it. I'll wait until it's closer to 5 to pick it up on PC, because I'd like to play it again at some point. I liked it because it reminded me a lot of Max Payne, which made a lot of sense after I learned who made it.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    I know, I know

Its just that by the time i get to play, itll probably be summer already anyway plus i already beat portal 2 on console via rent

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Alan Wake deserves your money because the devs made a really good PC port with tons of options and actively listened to PC gamers. They deserve it far more than a lot of the well-loved games around here, the ones that were literally just thrown onto the PC with no intent of making any sort of effort.

The game in itself is really good, too. The shooting does get a bit old by the end of the game, but it's pretty tense, has a great soundtrack, fun writing. I think someone described it to me as a Stephen King-esque book in video game form, which fits. The wonderful atmosphere is even better on the PC, as are the great lighting effects.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Unless it's something that benefits from GoG's Dosbox magic, I prefer Steam if only to have everything available from one centralized location.

Yeah, same here. GOG for classic games, Steam for everything else here. And I guess I'll eventually use Origin to play Mass Effect 3. One day.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    When did Portal 2 go on sale? I just checked it maybe an hour ago and it was $20. I already own it for 360 but I want to make/play user-created content so I'm picking it up on PC.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Congratulations to @Sir Carcass for winning the Sniper Elite v2 giveaway!

Oh wow, I forgot I entered this because I never win (but I keep entering). Thank you!

I'm going to perforate so many nazi testicles

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Alan Wake deserves your money because the devs made a really good PC port with tons of options and actively listened to PC gamers. They deserve it far more than a lot of the well-loved games around here, the ones that were literally just thrown onto the PC with no intent of making any sort of effort.

The game in itself is really good, too. The shooting does get a bit old by the end of the game, but it's pretty tense, has a great soundtrack, fun writing. I think someone described it to me as a Stephen King-esque book in video game form, which fits. The wonderful atmosphere is even better on the PC, as are the great lighting effects.

That's good to hear. With Remedy starting on PC I'd be disappointed if it was a bad port. I'm tempted to pick it up now, but I just spent 30 on Sniper Elite and with my backlog I can't really justify it right now.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

That's good to hear. With Remedy starting on PC I'd be disappointed if it was a bad port. I'm tempted to pick it up now, but I just spent 30 on Sniper Elite and with my backlog I can't really justify it right now.

Yeah, if you've already played it then it's worth waiting on a sale. It's a great price for people who haven't yet, though.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I want it for the PC, but I purchased the collector's edition for the 360, so I feel as though I've supported Remedy enough to not feel bad about waiting for a sale on Alan Wake PC. :)

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    FEAR 3 (or F3AR, which is stupid) is 4.49 over at Gamefly here, which is a pretty good deal. Steamworks.

you have to install the gamefly client though, in case some of you are averse to that.

In case this is putting anyone off, it isn't actually the case and can be found in your account section. A bang tidy £3.25 for us Brits.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Chat today:
    KBtgd.png

Fun times.

I made a cameo.

I was one of the fallen. :(

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Congratulations to @Sir Carcass for winning the Sniper Elite v2 giveaway!

That's a good win.

• Options
    madnessnewbmadnessnewb Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Yeah, just finished this game today, and it was excellent! :) Love the story, and the way it's told. The gameplay perhaps got a bit repetitive towards the ends, always the same bad guys and the strategy to kill them..but still, great game!

madnessnewb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I have Alan Wake on the 360 but have never played it. I got it through Gamefly for a couple of dollars right before they announced the PC version, but once they did, I had no interest in playing it on the 360, especially since the PC version comes with the DLC.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular

Considering they made up the entire PC porting costs in like, 2 days, I'd say they got it just fine. :P

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I finished Alan Wake recently too. Is American Nightmare like a sequel or DLC or something? Anyways, it was great. Like the unholy child of Stephen King, Max Payne, and Twin Peaks. Really tense game. And what the fuck was
    Mr. Scratch
    ?

I just assumed it was an attempt to be weird and enigmatic.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    American Nightmare is more of less just a standalone expansion. It does have a story so it's kind of a sequel in that way but it's fairly limited, and the game has more of a multiplayer focus.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    FEAR 3 (or F3AR, which is stupid) is 4.49 over at Gamefly here, which is a pretty good deal. Steamworks.

you have to install the gamefly client though, in case some of you are averse to that.

In case this is putting anyone off, it isn't actually the case and can be found in your account section. A bang tidy £3.25 for us Brits.

Isaw your reply to Lewie on twitter, I was just too lazy to edit :p

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Hrm, LOTR War in the North is $10 on Gamestops DL service and it's steamworks.

Is it worth $10? It looks pretty good.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Man. Portal 2 and alan wake on sale. Again, it's like steam KNOWS I won't have anything resembling money until the weekend

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Hrm, LOTR War in the North is $10 on Gamestops DL service and it's steamworks.

Is it worth $10? It looks pretty good.

I got it on rental for Xbox and after playing a level or so co-op with my partner we sent it back. It's just really uninspired third person brawler gameplay. There is a 14 year old in one of my classes who thinks it's amazing though, so make of that what you will.

I feel like I'm just badmouthing all the games at the moment, can anyone recommend something good and cheap I haven't played yet (Steam ID is TPSou) Recently I've absolutely loved The Walking Dead Episode 1, Trials Evolution and TERA

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Adda wrote: »

Isaw your reply to Lewie on twitter, I was just too lazy to edit :p

Hah should have known. :D

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Steam store not working for anyone else? I wanted to check prices on some arkham asylum DLC, but the store won't load for me at all.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Is down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Steam store not working for anyone else? I wanted to check prices on some arkham asylum DLC, but the store won't load for me at all.

Seems to be working for me.

Assuming you meant Arkham City DLC,

The challenge map pack is 2.99
    Arkham City Skins is 4.99
    Nightwing / Robin are 6.99 a piece

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I want to get LoTR: War in the North one of these days because it's made by Snowblind and I loved playing Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance with my fiancee a few years ago. But I shall hold off until...probably December, at this rate.

• Options
    Registry reveals Avernum 4, 5, and 6 are hitting Steam. Bundle as well, though unsure if that's the only way to obtain them like the Geneforge games. I think he's planning on remaking 2 and 3 so that would be why they're not in the bundle.

• Options
    aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    So a store local to me is going to sell Diablo III for $49.97 for the week of release. I know those games don't really drop in price much - is this a good deal, or do you think if I wait I'll be able to pick it up cheaper in an online sale? Not much funds but soooo wanting the game. *sigh*

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Everyone should buy Alan Wake. There is no excuse. That game is amazing.

DO IT.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    So a store local to me is going to sell Diablo III for $49.97 for the week of release. I know those games don't really drop in price much - is this a good deal, or do you think if I wait I'll be able to pick it up cheaper in an online sale? Not much funds but soooo wanting the game. *sigh*

If you mean like a digital online sale, I doubt it'll happen. Blizzard still sells Starcraft 2 for full price 2 years later, and I've ever heard of them doing any sales.

If you mean a physical copy, like amazon, you might be able to find eventually for like 30-40 bucks, but not much less and probably not anytime soon. I'd go for that deal. You'll probably be waiting awhile for a sale.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »

I think it'll be Christmas at the earliest before it gets any cheaper than that, and it'd probably only hit $40. I'd say go for it.

This discussion has been closed.