As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Automata: Fan Film

124»

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's bugging me that "prelude" doesn't quite align with "Automata"

also the O needs some kerning.

#pipe on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure I like the title being computer-generated. To me, it seems out of place with the noir setting, but it could also work since it's part sci-fi

I partially agree. I think a gritty/rusticated filter if applied could possibly help it out.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    well thanks Pipe, now all I can see is the kerning or lack of on the O.

Great.

The Automata should be shiny and perfect like it is, not made to look gritty in any way. That's the aesthetic: the smooth perfect lines on the robots contrasted with the rough, imperfect humans set against the glitz and glamour of the night clubs next to the dirty back alleys and seedy motels. The word Automata should represent the shiny, hopeful side of that, and the background, if anything, should change.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    SiegeSiege Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I intentionally chose not to do the old 40s style title but was trying to at least pay tribute to it while trying to balance the noir and sci fi themes. The original idea (I say original, as it might change here soon due to how long it's taking me to do it) was to have the logo slowly move forward at the camera as the clouds fly by. The camera would then pan down after flying through the logo to reveal New York in the midst of a typical night. This would serve as a lead in/establishing shot of the setting.

We'll see. I really do appreciate the criticisms, however. Going to be scrutinizing this even more now.

Siege on
    SIEGE TV | I made the short film Automata: Prelude. Check out the thread and go watch it here!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So, updates:

I had a rough cut done and decided that I definitely wanted to add another scene that I wasn't sure about. We'll be shooting it next weekend if all goes well.

In the mean time, I'm putting out a call for help from anyone with knowledge of 3dMax, Cinema 4D, etc. I'm able to handle things like motion graphics, but when it comes to these other two very specifics scenes, I don't have enough faith in my ability to do it justice in a timely fashion. This is not a paid job, as none of the people (including myself) are getting paid for it and it's really just a labor of love for Automata.

If you're interested, please e-mail me at contact@siegefilms.tv or send me a message on here and I will disclose the nature of what is required.

Siege on
    SIEGE TV | I made the short film Automata: Prelude. Check out the thread and go watch it here!
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wish this would screen at PAX East

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Project's not dead! Finally finished all of my pick ups this weekend. Life's been crazy. Soon as I find a CG artist for a certain scene we'll be done.

Here's another screenshot to tie over anyone that still cares.

189439_821351827521_33002113_42164501_3137330_n.jpg

Siege on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Glad to hear this isn't dead, and I'll be eagerly awaiting any news of progress you guys make.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Homina homina homina

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So very excited to see this.

Glad to see it's still progressing.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can't wait. Looking good.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    2 weeks till a test film is finished. If Jerry and Mike enjoy it enough, I'll start a Kickstarter for a full-length. Project got put off hold till recently cause my freelance work got me a salary job this year (so I've been busy getting situated). Rough cut is done. Finishing the SFX and score.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Apparently I managed to miss this building thread in it's heyday, but now I'm with everyone else just eager for the next bit to chomp on.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wow, glad to hear this is still kickin'!

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Yeah, sorry it's taken so damn long. I started the project a while ago and then life just got hectic. Ended up moving across state for my new job and have been settling in finding an apartment, getting the girlfriend moved up, etc. Just haven't had time to work on my own projects till now.

• Options
    eGregiouseGregious Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    thats pretty cool

you should email it to gabe and tycho

might get some exposure/dollahs from fans

They might even be willing to have a cameo with one of the Penny Arcade staff. Maybe Khoo could be a villain. ;)

• Options
    eGregiouseGregious Registered User regular
    Just started #automataprelude. Let's get this film trending twitter. If Diablo servers going down can get #error37 up there, then surely a good indie film deserves its place, too.

• Options
    Appreciate it, eGregious. I updated me signature with the link to the thread with the video in it here in SE++. You posting in this one made me realize I hadn't done that yet, hah