As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Automata: Fan Film

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fingers crossed on some front page love for ya

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shit, I need to read my fucking e-mails.

Tonight. I will e-mail you tonight, I promise. (At work at the moment)

Good work as usual, stuff looks great.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    holy crap

this is very impressive so far, to say the least

I'm loving Carl's voice at the moment, brilliant work on this Siege and Bacon (as well as everyone else helping out)

Gatsby on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i'm too excited for this

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this is fucking awesome
    MAKE IT SOONER

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    SiegeSiege Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Update on what we're working on now:

-Finishing the details on Carl's head. Have to paint and add the "lines" into his skull that are seen in the comic, as well as add the wiring coming out of his neck. After that, he'll be 100% complete.

-Working on a teaser trailer involving Carl and the exterior of Halloran's (the night club they investigate in the first one)

-Getting together the money I need to pay for the use of a client's (I make local commercials) recording studio so we can record the main song that will play over a good number of scenes. It's a cover of Billie Holiday's "Gloomy Sunday." Here's the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBIqLqUenz0

If anyone has any questions about the project, please ask! Talking about it helps me keep motivated to finish it. :)

Siege on
    SIEGE TV | I made the short film Automata: Prelude. Check out the thread and go watch it here!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Siege where are you located?

Filming local commercials, I'm super jealous...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You wanna record a cover of that song?

Fuck, man, that's awesome

You better post it when it's done! And keep at it!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man this is awesome. If you need help with this, I can try to find someway to help. Though I have limited skills.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you can pull this off I will be a happy nerd.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Siege where are you located?

Filming local commercials, I'm super jealous...

Statesboro, GA, while I finish college and then until my lease runs out in August of next year. No idea after that.

Siege on
    SIEGE TV | I made the short film Automata: Prelude. Check out the thread and go watch it here!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Say, how are you going to be shooting this thing? What are the locations? What kinda camera have you got?

I'm just trying to imagine how I would do it and it seems rather difficult

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Combination of a Canon 5d Mkii and Canon Rebel T2i for the cameras. The 5d is our main camera, however.

Locations are the tricky part right now. It'll be a combination of set extension and full on CG backgrounds (I've not decided what it'll be more of yet, though). There's a number of places in the downtown where I live that can be converted into a 1930s New York with some set extension, but it is restricting in some senses. Going all CG backgrounds opens up a lot of flexibility but is a lot more work and I really prefer to use as little CG as possible.

To give you an example of what each one is capable of, here's two videos that showcase both in the "noir" setting and their VFX breakdown videos.

Nuit Blanche
    The Making of "Nuit Blanche"
    Reign of Death
    The Making of "Reign of Death"
    And yeah, it's going to be rather difficult, but I just loved Automata and don't want to wait for someone else to make it into a short film. I'd really love to get the whole comic done, but as it stands right now, it'll just be the first page of the original comic.

Siege on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Would you be the one doing CG backgrounds?

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hopefully not. I'm going to be looking for someone to take over the majority of the work there, with me assisting in putting together "matte painting" backgrounds from various images (like in the opening shot of Nuit Blanche). I'm more of an After Effects guy than any 3d programs. Just haven't gotten around to it since I'm more focused on school till mid December rolls around.

Siege on
  • Options
    TLHTLH Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Working on a film set in the 40s-50s up here in WA. Starts filming the 11th or 12th. Come up here and take advantage of our cars and locations!

Seriously. Do this. I will help you.

TLH on
  • Options
    LucentLucent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TLH wrote: »
    Working on a film set in the 40s-50s up here in WA. Starts filming the 11th or 12th. Come up here and take advantage of our cars and locations!

You are an awesome person and that is seriously generous and fantastic. I'm not even a part of this project and that warmed my heart.

Lucent on
    s6e07VashAndJennySig2.png
    I'm afraid to click that spoiler. I'm not sure I want to know. I'll just keep trying to fuck everything. -- trentsteel
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Siege wrote: »
    Statesboro, GA

I'm sorry.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like it, sirs.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    TLH wrote: »

As awesome and generous as that is, I can't afford to get up there. Thanks for the thought, though. :)
    I'm sorry.

Me too.

Siege on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I admire your dedication to practical effects and minimal CGI

High five, bro

A "matte painting" look will actually probably add to the authenticity of the flick, if you're gonna shoot it in black and white and add film grain and whatnot

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

High five, bro

A "matte painting" look will actually probably add to the authenticity of the flick, if you're gonna shoot it in black and white and add film grain and whatnot

Black and white 'cept for the eyes. :)

Siege on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's looking sharp all over Siege (and no worries bout the distance, I just figured I was sitting on something too good not to at least mention. "Maybe Siege owns a train." I thought.)

As for story, are you guys going a full case, kind of leaving it open for more stories, or are you doing more of a slice of life from a case. I think a lot of the Automata stripes don't quite cover cases end to end, but am interested in what you'll be doing.

TLH on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    P.S. I personally have a vintage 1920s-ish authentic Chicago Police Dept. Coat. A big wool bastard. You could borrow that if you'd find a use for it. PM me and I'll try to toss a pic of it's glory your way. Mailing that would be a much cheaper trip.

And sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to muscle my way into your bit. I like Automata, I like you, and I just figure if you want tiny bits of knickknack help it'd be rude not offer. PM me if I'm stepping over the line and I'll toss a pic of my sad withdrawing face your way.

TLH on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

High five, bro

All eyes, or just Carl's?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

High five, bro

Oh, that could be severely awesome looking.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    YES DO THIS

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited November 2010

High five, bro

Yeah, that seems like the best approach for a project like this.

Well, it's a good practice in general anyway, but yeah. :P

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    The city will be requiring some compositing. It would be fun to do it to an existing location in post or you could probably green-screen the whole thing.

trentsteel on

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No idea if this is too complicated for you, but if you need CGI buildings, you could try using this free procedural building generator for 3D Studio Max.

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been in love with Automata ever since I read that first page. So much so, that I actually started making an radio/audio adaptation of it. Here's a link to my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoEj3IY1wCk

I know it's not that good, but it was my first ever production.

I'm glad someone is making a short-film of this. I couldn't wait for someone else to do something, and that's what drove me to attempt to make a radio play of it. Good luck on the project man! Can't wait to see more from this.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the more I look at this

"so" seems like an odd thing for a robot to say

I really want him to be all "What were your findings, Detective Regal?"

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That building generator is awesome.

trentsteel on

• Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is fantastically awesome.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah we're friends with the guy who made that. He's 23, completely self-taught and ridiculous.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How is Swangee supposed to be pronounced anyway? I've always read it as Swang-ee

Green on
  • Options
    sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I always said it as Swan-Jee.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've been in love with Automata ever since I read that first page. So much so, that I actually started making an radio/audio adaptation of it. Here's a link to my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoEj3IY1wCk

I know it's not that good, but it was my first ever production.

I'm glad someone is making a short-film of this. I couldn't wait for someone else to do something, and that's what drove me to attempt to make a radio play of it. Good luck on the project man! Can't wait to see more from this.

Not bad at all!

I would say the voice on Regal could use a little work, and maybe the timing with Carl's line near the end could be drawn out a little more. Minor criticism aside, that's a pretty solid piece of work, man. :^:

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Just an update:

Things are still kind of halted, for now, especially since I got hit by a drunk driver the other day and he totaled my car. So, that's kind of taking priority right now. Finals coming up soon too.

I should be able to get some newer versions of Carl's voice up soon, at least, thanks to Steve.

Just didn't want to go too long with silence.

Thanks for all the city plug-ins! I, unfortunately, only have Cinema 4d, but if I can find someone with 3DS Max, that'll be great!

Siege on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Screenshot from a teaser trailer we're putting together while we save for the actual short.

156592_781980448081_33002113_41408201_7901158_n.jpg

Siege on